Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you believe ooc and auction should be returned to zone-only?
YES! I want ooc/auction to be per zone only. 383 52.39%
NO! I want ooc/auction to remain global wide. 348 47.61%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Sarnak

Default Option for another channel?

What if there was a player specific option, IE: /ooczone to toggle on/off whether or not you want your ooc to be global or just in your zone? Or an option for a global channel for those who want to be able to speak globally: /join global (don't remember how to join channels to be honest.. lol). I know this isn't classic but with the population at it's current state it could get a little too quiet without global OOC, and it was a huge help for me getting back in to the game to be able to ask a question in ooc and get help knowing that at least one in the 400 people that are online will have the answer.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Orc

Zone only - might actually make people use the /lfg on tool !
Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Orc

Earlier Nilborg said it was extremely selfish for those that want to keep ooc as global to ask those that dont want it to be global to turn it off.
I think its selfish for those that profess to hate the global nature of ooc to ask others to give it up and to use the channel to spam their agenda as profusely as they did today.
Its not that hard to right click and make a new chat window and filter ooc to it or to /ignore those really bad spam-bots
I Use the default UI that titanium has and I run with 4 chat windows. Primary Chat, combat, spells, spam. I have /auction and /ooc in my spam window and its the smallest window on my right side since I personally look more at the left side chat window (group chat, server announcements, con messages, exp messages, loot messages etc etc)

For about an hour of sitting there watching the chat window go by I observed that about 20percent of the use of the channel was productive chats. People seeking groups, porting services, seeking rez's, general questions about the server.
The Pro vs. Con fight was a good 60 percent or 70 percent of the chat. Going to chalk that up to this poll and not go any further.
Now the remaining part was pure stupid spam but every server has it in some way or another.

Since I only log in here for a few hours here and there I have no "working knowledge" of how good or bad the ooc is on a daily basis and this is just my observation for today.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think its selfish for those that profess to hate the global nature of ooc to ask others to give it up and to use the channel to spam their agenda as profusely as they did today.
I could have spammed it in yellow, but that's my right. No one should be able to spam the server in green ooc chat, including me. I announced the poll was on the website, I didn't ask for the responses in the game. Mostly hate tells and entitled people telling me how and what to do. If that channel is open, everyone will use it. That's the problem.
Last edited by nilbog; 05-18-2010 at 08:40 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Kobold

There are tools and ways of finding services and groups without a global chat channel. Half the time it's idiots foaming off at the mouth and I want to play classic EQ without having to read a load of bollocks half the time. I voted for ooc/auction to be switched to zone only.

Edwis - Enchanter
Nineteen - Monk
Kiral - Shaman
Gravesend - Necromancer
Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Orc

Send a message via AIM to Beef

this will lead to all kinds of issues getting reses ports and groups. And it will be alot lonlier and quieter in alot of places.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Sarnak

i already have a hard enough time finding groups :\ this will pretty much force me to solo. shrug oh well.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedala [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I vote for a testrun for about 1 week and then another poll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I voted yes. Even though I think most polls are like the useless meetings I have at work, I like the idea of a trial run and another poll.

I'm actually not hugely in favor of it one way or another. I kinda like it the way it is now, but I'm very curious about how it would be if it was zone specific.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Banned

Some say it will be less of a sense of community.

I disagree. I think it will increase the rate of people meeting new people. Relying on the people in the zone with you and conversing. Most people already use their guild and friends for groups and chatting. This will be a good thing for the server if you ask me. There is also the LFG tool as Doacleric said.

I voted for zone only!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
global ooc and auction are not fun for gms or developers. apparently, they aren't fun for the majority of the server.
As someone with a statistics background, it's infinitely upsetting that we're using this poll as the end-all tell-all of public opinion. If you really want a legitimate public opinion, which you claim you do
Quote:
I still do care what people think though!
, you should take a truly random sample from online players and poll them. Not everyone visits these forums, as you've said
Quote:
Yep. Pretty much. The 15(?)% of the population that uses the forums and the 1% that uses IRC will use it for auction.
So until that's done, this poll is factually 100% bunk.
Closed Thread