Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: Do you want the hybrid penalty in Green 2.0?
Yes 38 34.55%
No 72 65.45%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd rather get rid of all these stupid "legacy" items, including/especially manastone.
except for guises

guises are cool [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-11-2022, 12:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The penalty isn't arbitrary. It's there to punish classes that have access to multiple skillsets because that (in theory) gives them an advantage. The flaw is that purist classes are too powerful due to poor balance.

As for demographics, it's nonclassic - and it sucks - but the problem isn't penalties at all. It's balance and awareness of imbalance. Awareness can't be changed, so the only way this can be fixed is by reconstructing the classes, because even if they removed the penalty few players would want to play an inferior class.

I wouldn't be adverse to a properly balanced P99, but I don't want anything half-assed. Easy to say, of course. Actually making it balanced and having the majority find it enjoyable is a terrifying endeavor to undertake.
Except the problem is the devs admitted it was a mistake. They thought hybrids would be much more powerful than other classes as things played out, but that turned out to be incorrect. The only one you could say that it’s correct about is Bard. The devs removed the class penalties when they realized they were intentionally gimping classes that basically got no huge benefit out of being a “hybrid”
Old 02-11-2022, 12:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Despite being an uber 'keep it classic' type of guy, i was actually first, or one of the first suggesting they remove the penalty from green before it even launched... for me it's base on two factors:

The exp rate on p99 is already infalted and not classic. And all the hybrid exp penalty does is slow down leveling. hence it just seems cmpletely arbitrary to single out hybrids when we are already not playing classic exp.

the other reason is to give it ever so slighty more the feel of original EQ classes demographcs. yes, we we will never go back to only 15% of the server playing bard/enc/necro combined and 75% playing druids/hybrids. but when you literally never even come across a ranger/paladin/sk it really takes away from original experience.
Can you link to evidence that the exp rate is inflated? Thought it was proven that it’s not
Old 02-11-2022, 01:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can you link to evidence that the exp rate is inflated? Thought it was proven that it’s not
Where was it "proven" it's not?
Old 02-11-2022, 05:13 AM
Fire Giant

Imho, the hybrid penalty isn't bad in Classic. The leveling curve is pretty easy, and the hybrids are pretty good, while Warriors and Rogues kinda suck and Monks are comparatively lackluster. In Kunark, (aka 51-60) the hybrid penalty reaallly starts to drag. Warriors, Rogues, and Monks get their sweet discs, much improved gearing and the exp curve starts to sky rocket. Hybrids get no discs and just can't compensate for the exp pen with their lvl 30 spells.

I'd vote to remove the hybrid exp penalty in Kunark, but not in Classic.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:16 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd rather get rid of all these stupid "legacy" items, including/especially manastone.
thats how i feel cause /list is only for methhead account sharers.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where was it "proven" it's not?
Thought the staff and other contributing players have posted stuff a couple years back when green launched. If you have conflicting evidence that you can post I think everyone would definitely be interested to see that
Old 02-11-2022, 10:38 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjonesp99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i can tell you for sure the vision of this project has nothing to do with what the community wants. in general people want pet windows in green. in general people want cycle tab targeting. neither of those things are on green because it isnt 'classic' or the vision of classic that the server aims to be. i can say with damn near certainty, the hybrid penalty is definitely something that isnt going to change.
Except they change "classic" stuff when they feel "that wasn't the vision of classic". The server is already become a hybrid, it's only people that bury their head in the sand and pretend it's not.

But, yes, it is the closest option we currently have to "classic"
Old 02-11-2022, 12:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReoDobbs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Except they change "classic" stuff when they feel "that wasn't the vision of classic". The server is already become a hybrid, it's only people that bury their head in the sand and pretend it's not.

But, yes, it is the closest option we currently have to "classic"
This server is the closet option to velious locked "classic" content. It is no means the closest server to actually being a classic representation of Everquest in its initial state.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:19 PM
Banned

Hybrids should never have been unnerfed.
Closed Thread