Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been considering the AMD FX-8350, but I have a couple reservations:

1. I just read that AMD will no longer be producing CPUs, but will instead focus on APUs. Wouldn't that mean a loss of driver updates/support?

2. Reviews on the 8350 state that the processor gets loud and hot even when idle.

3. 8 cores is not really needed for gaming at the moment.

Also, what is classic shell? Thanks for your input!
1. They should continue to support their existing products.

2. The processor itself is as hot and loud as the cooling method.

3. Most* games only use 2 cores.

http://www.classicshell.net/
Old 12-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Banned

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065

Great cooler right here. Can usually get it cheap too. Never use a stock cooler. With AMD you will get the most bang for the buck. Did not hear about them not making CPUs anymore.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Sarnak

Might I ask for your valued opinion on any of the above, Nilbog?
Old 12-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. They should continue to support their existing products.

2. The processor itself is as hot and loud as the cooling method.

3. Most* games only use 2 cores.

http://www.classicshell.net/
As far as number 3 goes. This is correct, many of todays games are only coded for 1/2 cores. Although your computer will share the load this is not done efficiently if the game is not coded to do so.

BUT. and this is the big one. If you want to have a game loaded, the internet loaded on your favorite gif site, maybe a 1080p movie on your second monitor/tv, and someone in the back of the house is streaming a video that your computer is encoding on the fly. You will want that 8 cores then.

The above scenario is actually my living room setup. I have a Quad core and am starting to feel cappage with my current setup. I will be upgrading to 8core soon.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here are the things I would invest my money into.

AMD 8core processor
4 ram slots with ddr3 1600mhz capability
2x pci-express x16 slots
Any modern video card with minimum 1gb but prefere 2gb buffer x2(if you want to spend the money which you dont need to do) BTW I prefere Nvidia Cards but others will argue otherwise.
Sata II x4 (minimum prefere 6)
USB 2.0
SSD Sata 2 drive (32/64gb is fine, you want to install operating system files and core games only)
Dual monitors. If you don't already have this you need to spend your money here over any other peripherals. It makes a world of difference.
I'm a bit apprehensive about going with an 8 core processor because I honestly don't do anything that requires that (streaming, rendering, video editing, 10x different things at once, etc.), but the price difference is very attractive while still maintaining great performance overall.

Also, what has your experience been mixing AMD CPUs with Nvidia GPUs?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm a bit apprehensive about going with an 8 core processor because I honestly don't do anything that requires that (streaming, rendering, video editing, 10x different things at once, etc.), but the price difference is very attractive while still maintaining great performance overall.

Also, what has your experience been mixing AMD CPUs with Nvidia GPUs?
No problems anymore. Years ago 6+ they had some problems but they were mostly caused by motherboards. Most modern mobo support both AMD and NVidia based cards without any issues. I currently run the AMD Phenom II x4 950 BE w/ a Sparkle Nvidia 460 GTX with no issues(also needs updating).
Old 12-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No problems anymore. Years ago 6+ they had some problems but they were mostly caused by motherboards. Most modern mobo support both AMD and NVidia based cards without any issues. I currently run the AMD Phenom II x4 950 BE w/ a Sparkle Nvidia 460 GTX with no issues(also needs updating).
I just had someone recommend the AMD FX-8320 over the 8350; stating the 8350 was just an overclocked 8320 but much cheaper.

For everyday purposes that include gaming, work, etc. (no streaming, rendering etc.) it's going to come down to the i5 4670k vs. AMD 8320 vs. AMD 8350

Can't decide whether to go with a gigabyte GTX 770 vs. a non reference r9 290 GPU.

Thoughts?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
I just had someone recommend the AMD FX-8320 over the 8350; stating the 8350 was just an overclocked 8320 but much cheaper.

For everyday purposes that include gaming, work, etc. (no streaming, rendering etc.) it's going to come down to the i5 4670k vs. AMD 8320 vs. AMD 8350

Can't decide whether to go with a gigabyte GTX 770 vs. a non reference r9 290 GPU.

Thoughts?
This is the problem, because I am in between cycles I am not up to date on the new technology. The FX Chips have just recently come out over the last 2 years and I have not looked into them. Same with the Intel. I do not research performance and start building my system until 1-2 months from the actual purchase date, so my prices are consistent and I know what is available in my window.

As far as graphics cards, I would suggest getting highest ammount of Ram you can(2gb+), as fast as you can (ddr5), and highest bit you can (256minimum prefere higher+).

Hope some of this helps.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Thoughts?
Honestly with the way you sound like you want to use your PC it doesnt matter what you choose it will be 10x more then you need.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

for your budget, stick with the intel processor, reconsider the GPU for a 760 series nvidia gpu. Reason being, that extra 80 bucks provides marginal benefit compared to the 760 series gpus. And I doubt your GPU will be your bottle neck. I'd also consider beefing up that secondary or primary drive for more memory, 1TB isnt as much as it used to be. I find my 500GB of drive space running short and I have to decide what games to uninstall since a game after patches can easily run 30gb. Not to mention you want to have a minimum of 10% hard drive space free in any scenario.

Also make sure to get windows 7. i work with verizon which has a slew of windows 8 tablets and phones, much like the cpu OS, even with 8.1, windows 7 is king, providing you with the current security updates and playability of XP, there's no reason to go windows 8, especially with their classic game compatibility issues.
Last edited by Knuckle; 12-06-2013 at 08:45 PM..
Closed Thread