Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Sarnak

Ah nice, thanks...

seems like I need 10 more levels or so before trying to camp that

-L
Old 07-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Fire Giant

I'm tired of people saying things like charming is impossible if you don't max out your charisma, or you don't have such and such item.

My enchanter is lvl 28 and is my first character on P99. I think I'm at about 140ish cha unbuffed. I've been charm soloing pretty much since level 12. A few groups here and there, but mostly late night charming. I don't have Jboots, or a gobby ring and I do just fine using taper and invis. You just need to know, or find, the right spots and be a little more careful with your tactics.

Oppaline earings (5cha) are like 50-80 plat a piece, crude stein (15 cha) you can most likely buy off the first ogre vendor in Oggok. I forget what my rings are but they're player made and I think 7 cha a piece. I've seen some loam encrusted pieces selling for 250-500 if you can afford it. I bought a kromzek surveyor scope last night for 50pp, which is probably one of the cheapest clickies you can buy.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Large Bat

Charming is not impossible with low cha, but cha really starts to make a difference at higher levels. Echoing what others said, go for cha above all else. Int/hp/mana items are second priority. Some people prefer sta, but it's really up to you.

As for clickies, your rod will be your best friend. Not only is the clicky useful for spells but the cha on the rod is great for you.

Hit me up in game on Nahd if you're blue, I'll help you drop some shadowed men and can link you some items.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:54 PM
Orc

Buy cheap charisma gear to get to 200 unbuffed.
Save plat to buy spells, bank the rest.
Get levels!
Camp the ring yourself.
Buy WR bags.

FYI Rod is clickable at level 30.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't have Jboots, or a gobby ring and I do just fine using taper and invis. You just need to know, or find, the right spots and be a little more careful with your tactics.
Nostalgia - Thanks for the validation that I can make it without ubering out my gear. I think I'm up to like 155 CHA self-buffed.

What do you use taper for? Is it a better way to break charm over invis'ing yourself?

Do you have suggestions for good spots from 25 on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oppaline earings (5cha) are like 50-80 plat a piece, crude stein (15 cha) you can most likely buy off the first ogre vendor in Oggok. I forget what my rings are but they're player made and I think 7 cha a piece. I've seen some loam encrusted pieces selling for 250-500 if you can afford it. I bought a kromzek surveyor scope last night for 50pp, which is probably one of the cheapest clickies you can buy.
I mistakenly bought some +int earrings so I think I need to swap them out (bat skull). Totally snagged a Crude Stein already when I was grabbing a Forager's Bag from Oggok. I have one nice ring but need to look into getting another. I haven't seen anyone selling Loam yet in EC but I'm also afraid of dipping into my ~1k pp reserve since it seems like the cost of spells (and lvling up research) is outpacing my income generation as I level up more. I will absolutely check out the scope, looking at it on the wiki it seems like it might mess up your vision when used. Does that cause you problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comadose [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As for clickies, your rod will be your best friend. Not only is the clicky useful for spells but the cha on the rod is great for you.

Hit me up in game on Nahd if you're blue, I'll help you drop some shadowed men and can link you some items.
Nahd - Yeah I can't wait to get the rod. I was lucky enough a kind monk was shouting out availability when he was camping the summoner while I was leveling in uguk. Also camped the shadowed men yesterday with a Cleric who needed the rapier for jboots and made it to rathe mtns for the first enchantment. Unfortunately I got ahead of myself and tried to charm kill two giant skelle's that were blue to be and an unlucky root break right when I broke charm led to a late night corpse run [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I'm hoping that when I log in today that there will be a kind cleric in the zone to rez otherwise I'll just loot up and eat the penalty as the cost of going up the learning curve.

I'll shoot you a /tell when I log in today. I've seen you in the EC tunnel and you've even given me a hit of crack or two. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Camp the ring yourself.
Buy WR bags.
Luminious - I was told that the ring is camped 24/7 and unless I'm willing to sit there for a few hours holding my spot in line or hire a tracker to help me that my only option would be to buy it in EC. Is there a way other than what's on the wiki to get one?

Yeah, my weak ass elf STR has been an issue with looting things to sell. I've got one handmade backpack (I don't think the 10% WR is worth the additional weight of the bag) and a Forager's Bag with Medicine bags rounding out the rest of my slots. Is there anything else you think I should be targeting to buy in EC? Are there level attainable camps or quests for others I'm missing? How does one get one of the bags that reduce coin weight?

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP! I promise to pay it forward once I'm back in the game.

-Lobus
Old 07-13-2016, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

Don't save that money imo. 1kpp isn't going to make squat of a difference in buying something like goblin gazughi ring or jboots, let alone stuff like a hiero cloak or one of those crystalline velious robes or anything like that. But 1kpp WILL go a long ways to boosting your charisma through the roof and getting you a cheap clicky to refresh gems... and those things go a really, really long ways to making you a charming (and almost as importantly, lulling) beast. Yes, goblin gazughi ring is amazing... but you can time invis or IVU (faster cast but more mana) to break charms, or try using taper if you want (I prefer invis), and do pretty well with that until you can camp or buy a ring. Yes, jboots are nice... but they're actually slow as piss compared to sow pots if you're talking about running to travel, and a lot of your soloing can be done at a zoneline so you don't need jboots anyway, or is done indoors where you can't use jboots... or you could just master strafe+run! Run speed is a last resort imo; rather than relying on playing outdoors and using run speed to buy you time when something goes wrong, you should learn to play when charming so that you are fine without it.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Spyglass or http://wiki.project1999.com/Kromzek_Surveyor_Scope (I think the scope is pretty cheap, don't remember exactly though). This is crucial, even though the telescope effect is pretty annoying cause it zooms in your view so distances are deceptive in first person and camera angles are annoying in 3rd person... but for 50pp and that annoyance it is well, well, WELL worth it for being able to reset your spellgems. Rod of insidious glamour is ideal eventually cause it's a great charisma piece and clicky that doesnt give the telescope effect and it's pretty cheap... but it's too much to buy if your life savings is only 1kpp. Goblin earring is nice too, no telescope and it doesn't require a target like rod does, but it does cost you the charisma you'd have from an opalline earring, for what that's worth (though it's not worth much). Remember you don't need to use the telescope clicky all the time, so you don't have it zooming you all the time. But like, when you're in tight quarters or have a mob on you already and you get a stun/root/mez resist, it's vital to be able to reset gems instantly to try again without getting beat on for a few seconds waiting on gems to refresh normally.

JCed charisma gear (7 charisma wrists and rings, also a somewhat-more-expensive veil that's cha+dex), gypsy medallion (9 cha neck), opalline earrings (5 cha ears), loam encrusted lined shoes (8 cha), crude stein (15 cha offhand), drake-hide leggings (5 cha)... that's a lot of charisma for super cheap. There's cheap int options for some slots too if you have more cash to spare, like gatorscale arms, braided cinch cord for waist, stein of moggok for primary, a variety of like +3 int head pieces that are very cheap, sarnak ceremonial dager ranged slot. The charisma means fewer breaks, which means less mana spent recasting charms and less mana spent on runes when your pet is beating on you. The charisma means fewer crit lull fails that end up forcing you to zone or die. A little bit of extra int never hurts... but when you're solo you really should only start a fight at 95+% mana anyways and in groups just tell everyone you're LOM even if you aren't so that they let you stay near FM incase shit hits the fan, and your mana REGEN is the key to being effective over time, not your max mana.

Watch my videos! They start just a little higher than you are now and show me solo leveling in gear that's not much better than yours (I still had a few cloth pieces at like 40, basically).

Regarding spells? You only really need, imo, like 3-6 spells per level depending on which level it is. Don't worry about buying all the illusions (just a couple nice ones like water elemental, air elemental, one evil race, gnome) or infravision or bind sight upgrades or stat debuffs or int+wis buff, etc. None of the researched spells are crucial to get up to 50+, though the level 20 stun is almost essential eventually imo, and tepid deeds is pretty great too, but those are pretty easy to find words for either while leveling or when checking merchants in cities (always know which words you'd like to have and keep an eye out for them on merchants), and you can train your research up high enough to do those combines for only like 50pp or something. Allure is essential to solo at like 55+ but you've got a lot of time for that.

Once you get up to mid-30s you can get nice, safe XP killing oggok guards, and they drop FS and stuff to vendor. And once you get up to like low-mid-40s you can get nice, safe XP killing grobb guards, and they drop even more vendor loot. Illusions and faction goofiness mean you can still sell to merchants in those town (and even bank if you're careful) even as you slaughter the guards.

Regarding bags? Don't fret about WR bags. You still won't exactly be able to lug around 15 bronze/FS weapons to vendor even if you have them. More important to just find .4 weight bags so that you have inventory space for all the stuff you need... jaspers, food, water, bandages, etc., and inventory space for looting words and gems and light stuff like that that still gets you some plat when you go sell. Much nicer than 3.0 weight backpacks or the 2.0 weight boxes that are pretty heavy even if you aren't carrying anything in them.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 07-13-2016 at 11:49 AM..
Old 07-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[B]
Watch my videos! They start just a little higher than you are now and show me solo leveling in gear that's not much better than yours (I still had a few cloth pieces at like 40, basically).
Wow, thank you for the thoughtful response! Will check out your videos first chance I get!

-L
Closed Thread