Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 08:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't they redo commons / fp because they lost the source files for these zones?

A shame they didn't use github or something..
don't think anything existed back then other than setting up your own cvs repos and backup systems
I think it was just a matter of advancing technology making it possible to have much bigger zones and therefore you didn’t need two zones for the common lands or three zones for the desert. I actually don’t mind the combining of the zones since it’s nicer to see a bunch of people in the zone than like 5 people in NRo for example. I thought the Freeport redesign was shitty though.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Sarnak

I pick my nose and pat myself on the back at the thought of how much time they wasted on new FP, Commons, Nektulos, etc, knowing POK exists
Old 06-18-2020, 10:59 PM
Sarnak

Thank you all, I understand now better, why they decided to do it.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you all, I understand now better, why they decided to do it.
The primary reason they did that was inertia, which is how 75% of software development is done. No one demanded this, it was simply time to iterate and well we need to do something and this is something therefore this needs to be done.

Every time your favorite platform or software comes up with stuff no one asked for, that's why. Project manager with a schedule to fill.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Every time your favorite platform or software comes up with stuff no one asked for, that's why. Project manager with a schedule to fill.
Yes, so true, but you would expect normal things that usually happens, like balancing classes, better UI, better graphic, new content, new quests... things like this, but not completely re-doing maps that were already created. That's what shocked me. Well, there were (also) technical reasons for it, I understand now.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:21 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snortles Chortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have no idea where you found this image but you are my goddamn hero, man. Please copy on every RnF post until the end of time.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My first impression of the new "Freeport" caused me to immediately log out.

-Mcoy
I saw one of the TLPs being streamed when they first opened and the dude made his character in Freeport. I would have logged out too. Fuck that.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:37 AM
Planar Protector

I really felt like the revamped zones were super similar to EQ2 environments. I wonder if they had any team crossover around that time...
Old 06-24-2020, 10:01 AM
Planar Protector

They didn't have half the love they original zones had in them. The new freeport is really awful. It's like 3 steps backwards. Like they recieved too many complaints about people on pvp servers exploiting it so they got rid of any ability to jump over any ledges. Or levitate anywhere interesting.

Most probably because they didn't want anyone to get high enough up to see how awful the entire zone was with an overview. I imagine if I was a level builder, I would have been incredibly shameful launching freeport 2.0. If the designer reads this, I am sorry for the harsh criticism, you have my sympathy, there's a few details that were nice.

The original steaming piles of shit probably violated the ESRB rating system.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:23 AM
Planar Protector

The original zones had a much better and more consistent art style, with a generally lighter and more colorful palette. It 'felt' like high fantasy.

The new art style that began with the Luclin game engine felt like sci-fi. Total immersion breaker.

New character models suffered the same problems. Bad and stilted animations, didn't feel very 'fantasy', generally just plain aesthetically bad. Had none of the character and humour of the original models which was part of the fun of them.
Closed Thread