Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgellan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FTFY... playing a wizard well managing mana and aggro, assisting in CC, determining what spells to use etc. is not trivial. I'd say a melee class like Rogue would be less demanding ie stand behind the mob and hit the backstab button when it comes up, but even then to play it well you need to evade, manage aggro etc etc etc.

Regards,
Mg
Okay Wizard fanboy. I mean in principle I agree: No class in EQ is simple, and every class can do more than their minimum expected group role and shine. I've seen great cleric pullers and rogues that keep a bag of proc weaps and poisons in their bags.

People's expectation of a wizard is shoot nukes at a mob under 50%. Sometimes you get called on to root CC. All this is done safe from a distance. Wizards can do a lot more, timing stuns and nukes to finish mobs, root parking, but lets face it: expectations of Wizards in xp groups is low.

At least rogues have to worry about proximity aggro and hitting the evade button along with backstab, and actually getting buffs besides clarity and sow to be effective. Druids have to juggle multiple roles depending on the group composition, and have to balance spending mana on heals, dots, cc or buffs. All pull classes have to worry about those mechanics.
Last edited by brecon; 09-01-2016 at 11:48 AM..
Old 09-01-2016, 12:02 PM
Fire Giant

Well frankly (having played a wizard to 60) wizards don't get invited to xp groups anyways so it's a pretty moot point... go rogue OP.

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 09-01-2016, 12:29 PM
Fire Giant

rogue. Assist the tank. Press backstab and evade macro every so often. Collect pixels.

On the rare occasion, you may need to sneak pull if you don't have a more suitable puller in the group.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up

As rogue, just have to know to stick 'em in der bum. Wizzy pretty straightforward too, but Gels said, nobody invites them because even if they do all those other wonderful things (99% do not) chances are there is another class in the group that can absorb that role leaving you with a stout 12 sustained dps contribution to your group :/

Be a rogue, go for the bum. ^^
Old 09-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

Rogue is probably the most straightforward class in EQ.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My first toon ever in EQ was a Wood Elf Druid. I thought it would be the perfect mix of melee and spells. And then around level 10 I started getting by butt kicked when I melee'd heavily
You shouldn't be having problems with melee at that level. Just use your two damage shields and also treeform for regen. Pull with flame lick, use snare when they are close to getting low so they can't run away. You can sit in 1 spot in treeform without having to re-cast. Find a nice spot to place your roots. Can get to level 27 easily doing this (Hermit in South Karana gets you there).
Old 09-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Planar Protector

For just xp groups, mage and rogue are probably the most straight forward. at the highest levels and on raids, good mages and rogues can do a little bit more: rogues who understand aggro mechanics and zones well can sneakpull/CR effectively, while mages can (I think?) do some cool stuff with coth mechanics, although this may have changed.

Wizards wont get a whole lot of love for standard xp groups, and if your group is just single pulling non-caster mobs you're pretty 2nd rate. The only thing you'll be figuring out is whether to use fire,ice, or magic spells (or your best ratio nuke.} Once you start killing caster mobs you can start using stun/interrupt spells, and multi mob pulls you can use root effectively as you'll have the best root spells available to any class. Rain spells are pretty effective if you can find the right situations for them, and being able to use concussion well is great. You can also spam flux staff to aggro adds and park them where u want (if there's no enchanter...or with giants who are mez immune.) Many high level mobs are also immune to stun but are casters, and wizards can push to interrupt better than any other class as long as the mob is not magic immune/extremely resistant. While I think the general idea of a wizard is pretty straight forward, a lot of learning how to best perform is memorization of situations: Which mobs cast, which are immune to MR, which are immune to stun, which are weak to which element, how many hp's a mob has, etc, learning to control dps versus hate, etc.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by serjordanmormont [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was actually kinda thinking rogue. They seem very straightforward in that sense. I get managing aggro is a big part of playing one, but that is a far cry from keeping a bunch of people healed for sure. Thanks!
Yay rogue! I've thought about leveling my husband's, but she has a stupid name (more stupid than Kittyn), and is a gnome. :/ I was a woodelf on live, which didn't make much of a difference compared to my Barbarian counterparts (raid geared, obviously).
Old 09-01-2016, 10:40 PM
Banned

rogue is quite easy but you have to constantly be pressing backstab. some people prefer lazier group roles.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:50 AM
Sarnak

Rogues are good fun to play, there is much more depth to them then attack > backstab > evade repeat - but really you can make it as simple as you want.

It can be a hard slog to 60 as at some point you become totally dependent on groups for decent exp.
Evilbaa Thesheep
Scoutbaa Thesheep
Stoutbaa Thesheep
<Infernus>
Closed Thread