Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you believe ooc and auction should be returned to zone-only?
YES! I want ooc/auction to be per zone only. 383 52.39%
NO! I want ooc/auction to remain global wide. 348 47.61%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Orc

I think the bottom line is this about the Classic EQ argument:

Back in 1999 the developers of EQ were going for a very hardcore world to play in. Chatting was mostly local, corpse runs were often, grouping was required and grinding was very heavy.

Removing Global OOC supports the original dev team's intention of a hardcore world. If everyone had access to multiple computers back in 1999 to 2-box, I am 99.9% positive the devs would have outlawed it as well, since it clearly steers the game away from its original intention of requiring players to be social and work together to win. Multi-boxing removes the necessity to play together and collaborate to succeed.

World's first MMORPG with true family systems
Player-created villages, dungeons and items
Dynamic weather, monsters and events
Last edited by lumin; 05-18-2010 at 05:21 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Orc

From a strictly classic or no standpoint, the serverwide stuff doesn't have a leg to stand on. You either take playability and convenience into consideration or you don't...if it's just classic or not there's not even an argument to be had.

The one thing I'd say is that right now there's an ability to 'opt out' of the serverwide stuff. /shout works just as well for local stuff so nothing is really lost besides the micro-economy aspect of EC and zone specific auctions.

If the global channels are removed there won't be any way to opt in really...so it eliminates an option. In the end it's just for devs and community to decide whether they prefer convenience of the server-wide (and the GM task of policing the flamewars) or a strict 'classic' vibe on the server...hence the poll, I assume.

-Jayko
Old 05-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2Phantom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why are people posting that just because its classic it shouldn't be in for conveinence reasons? People already knew that when they cast their vote.

Removing it is winning the poll, its what is clearly desired by the greater majority.
Too early to call that true. The amount of votes is a small percentage of how many people play the server. Now, I'm not saying one way or another if it would be the same or different if everyone votes, I'm just saying there's not necessarily enough votes yet to declare "The majority thinks this"

Maybe most votes right now are peak hour players and maybe peak hour players tend to lean towards turning it off and maybe the off hour players will log in later and see whats up and lean towards leaving it on. Could be countless other factors like this.

To be clear, I'm not saying one way or another that xxxx group leans this way or if everyone voted that, ALL I am saying is it's too early to say "The majority of players obviously support this one/that one"
Old 05-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Planar Protector

I'll vote yes if we reach 1000 or more. But way before we reach 900 there'll be way too many people in global /ooc and global /auction. That's why I made my thread about filtering global chat. We already have a huge advantage compared to this game in 1999. Not only are there more people in /ooc and /auction, but we can reach them from anywhere in the world. We also have item links and easier access to forums. Think about it, do you know of any zone other than EC back in 1999 that would have had 300+ people in /ooc and /auction?

The reason I say 1000 or more is live had probably 1500-2500 average per day. We're not there yet! And live had in-game message boards that also helped to facilitate trading. I don't think 700 max population is enough because the average population isn't evne 400 yet. Per zone that would be a very small number. But nowadays we have easy access to forums because we can tab out of eq and people are more internet savvy these days. We also have item links and greater knowledge about this game. So I'll say 1000 or more as a roundabout guess.

I didn't vote because NO doesn't fully express my opinion.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 05-18-2010 at 05:29 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Fire Giant

I <3 you nilbog youre fun to get riled up =)

As I stated before really dont care either way which side this poll decides, Ill still be here playing. Should have a abstain option to those of us that really dont care either way.

My posts are just in the defense of the people claiming classicness.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Fire Giant

Heres a possible thought. No clue how much coding or if even possible this is, but have "zone sets" say all the deserts have thier own channel, freeport/commons/nek/neriak/lava have thier own channel etc etc..It would cut down on the GLOBAL ooc and not limit to just 1 zone. EC tunnel would still exist because youd have to be in that zones set.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Planar Protector

the vision > everything else

that said, remove ooc, auction and while you are on it, item links too!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:35 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Item Link Removal: Never going to happen.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 05-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phallax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Heres a possible thought. No clue how much coding or if even possible this is, but have "zone sets" say all the deserts have thier own channel, freeport/commons/nek/neriak/lava have thier own channel etc etc..It would cut down on the GLOBAL ooc and not limit to just 1 zone. EC tunnel would still exist because youd have to be in that zones set.
I made a thread about this. It's named "Filter Global Chat". EC tunnel in this scheme wouldn't be meaningful, but playing in the freeport area would still be useful because you could reach faydwer
and antonica and evil races and mid continent.

Here:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7745

The reason EC was meaningful back then was because /ooc and /auction were zone-based. So you had to find hte most populated zone to increase your odds of making a sale. So people designated EC, a very logical choice, and greater faydark, to be the central trading zones for people to do sales.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 05-18-2010 at 05:42 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Large Rat

I agree with Stormlord..we don't have the population yet to support single zone /auction. On live, there were tons of peeps on all 3 continents and Qey and Fay had their own auctions without having to run all the way to EC tunnel. I just foresee ppl getting frustrated trying to buy or sell to a limited audience.
Closed Thread