Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

The real question is why would you NOT pick an Iksar I think. That is the side that needs to give compelling reasons for picking human, gnome, erudite, and dark elf.

None provide particularly useful racial abilities, and their innate stats can all be fixed by gearing. Gnomes get tinkering and wall look... But you can buy tinkered stuff t and shrink pots. Dark elves get hide but CoS and FD make that obsolete quite quickly. Erudites get high INT but that's offsetable by gear. Humans get nothing.

So the only reason I've heard is "because I want to", which is fine - But if you create a thread asking what race to pick, people will give you min/max reasons. Only you can decide personal fashionquest importance for you.

Also to keep in mind the Necro class will almost always be in Skeleton form post 34 due to Lich so even if you love your race pick, you won't see it because you Lich. Unless your desire to fashionquest leads you to never using Lich, which at that point I would say pick a different class cause that's dumb.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:13 PM
Banned

To pick another class you have to weigh stats, fashion quest, w/e else > regen. To make a good education decision on the matter it helps to talk about just how valuable regen is.
Last edited by Teppler; 07-27-2015 at 02:17 PM..
Old 07-27-2015, 02:37 PM
Planar Protector

Well look at the beginning stats of the races.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So Iksars have 10 more STR, 5-15 less CHA, and WIS/DEX/AGI are basically useless. So from these stats there isn't really much reason to pick one race or the other.

All races have basically the same STA, 65/70/75. None have a clear winner in this stat. 5 STA means 12 HP at level 60. Such a minuscule value, not going to make much difference ever.

Iksars have 85 INT, which is 23 behind gnome, 24 behind DE and 32 behind Erudite. Basically what this means is an Iksar will need to devote most of their creation stats to INT. while the other races can get away with either stacking INT or pouring theirs into STA. (at level 60, the 25 STA will amount to 60 HP)

At level 60 in Velious most mains will cap out their primary stat (INT) with typical gearing, regardless of base stat. A non-Iksar possibly can focus on HP gear before an Iksar can if they care about capping it. However most good HP/Mana pieces for Necros in Velious also come with INT on them, so a high INT player will end up wasting a lot of it by going over cap.

So the choice is, as a non-Iksar you may dump 25 into STA and get an extra 60 HP later on, or dump it into INT, and sit around 130-140 base INT, allowing you to focus on HP/Mana gear once you cap out (125-115 item/spell INT).

Or... Go Iksar, get gear to equalize the beginning stat difference, and have a racial ability that stacks with everything and cannot be replaced.

Everyone makes mistakes in game, gets hit, needs and FD. Having regen helps in these cases, helps when you're twitching on raids, helps you root rot or fear kite more efficiently, helps you be more efficient in groups. There really is no argument for picking a non-Iksar beyond fashion/you made it before Kunark/you made your classic character.

Regen matters whenever your health isn't 100%, which when you're liching is almost always.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:55 PM
Banned

Int does make some sort of a difference. Lets say you want to gear your Necro towards burst fights and not sustained camping. You might want to stack mana. Lets say you want to have a well rounded build with an added focus on resists, you might easily hit the cap with the high innate int races but not iksar. Lets say you have access to good velious/VP gear and you're group oriented, you can lifetap for free making regen not a big deal at all.

Maybe you weigh fashion quest highly and some of these little things tip the scales. This is what I mean when I talk about weighing options.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:13 PM
Kobold

Sorry Teppler you are an idiot
People have been explaining nicely to you.
Try reading a few more times.
Read myself & Dalaen's posts as they are most helpful.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry Teppler you are an idiot
People have been explaining nicely to you.
Try reading a few more times.
Read myself & Dalaen's posts as they are most helpful.
You sound like you don't have the mental capacity for discussion.

Your posts are simplistic and don't add anything. Try reading mine again.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:57 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Int does make some sort of a difference. Lets say you want to gear your Necro towards burst fights and not sustained camping. You might want to stack mana. Lets say you want to have a well rounded build with an added focus on resists, you might easily hit the cap with the high innate int races but not iksar. Lets say you have access to good velious/VP gear and you're group oriented, you can lifetap for free making regen not a big deal at all.

Maybe you weigh fashion quest highly and some of these little things tip the scales. This is what I mean when I talk about weighing options.
I don't think you comprehend what the extra regen entails. It's worth a lot more than a few extra hundred mana. And why would you even roll a necro to be a burst damage group oriented player??

Grasping at straws bud. Bunch of what if this, what if that. Bottom line is a 60 Iksar with regen will always, no matter what be more efficient than any other race.

Just wanted to add, if you walk around with well rounded resists instead of being prepared for specific encounters you're doing it wrong.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:14 AM
Sarnak

I've noticed that the Iksar race was made for two classes specifically. The Necro and Monk(sure a distant third shaman.) I main' a human monk on live til around lvl 85 and can say that before all the other crap expansions that leveled the playing field iksar definitely was a greater monk in most cases.

However, necromancers as iksar... Well, natural regen. What class needs this most? Necro. You start and play on a continent that is filled with undead. Necro. As we have pointed out that end game you waste int because we cap it out, well iksar doesn't necessarily. Necro. Cabilis devoted an entire half of their city for the necromancer. The random spells like gate, bind sight, affinity, and voice graft are all available at your necro guild in cab, which are not in other cities.

I'm at work now I forgot the rest but in short - iksar was made with necro in mind if not directly for that class.

I got my necro to 23 as a dark elf and then reroll iksar. Iksar is 12 and got there faster with less deaths and I fight most of my yellow targets as if I were an sk because I can. Sure I could fear kite and I do because most mobs I fight in starting area are undead.
Last edited by Beinen; 07-28-2015 at 07:30 AM..
Old 07-28-2015, 07:40 AM
Orc

People don't just pick DE, Eru, Gnome, Human or whatever for their looks alone. Often its because of the lore attached to the race, the starting area so they can be close to friends, or because they're close to popular hubs like EC, it could be the starting stats, there could be equipment reasons, faction reasons, etc.

Picking a non-optimal race can't be explained by throwing the term "fashionquest" around. I don't know why some of you guys are doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The real question is why would you NOT pick an Iksar I think. That is the side that needs to give compelling reasons for picking human, gnome, erudite, and dark elf.
No they don't. Nobody has to give anyone else 'compelling reasons' for their race choice. What is this?
Last edited by absol; 07-28-2015 at 07:54 AM..
Old 07-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Sarnak

I want to be a special snowflake

Therefore I did not roll iksar
Closed Thread