Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:57 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
refresh my memory on the Arya changes (minus a few conversations)? the chain was HUGE, i was sad they left it out, but it really doesnt effect the story if u just blow up all the boats. same with halfhand/jon, i feel the end result would be the same.

what did they change about robb besides his new wifes name and back story?
Damn, I keep forgetting about this thread. They changed the entire feel of Arya's story to me. They softened it up drastically for TV and made it like she was just hiding out at any old castle along the road. In the books it was an "if I make the slightest mistake somebody is going to fuck me, cut my throat, and then fuck my new throat hole" kind of place. Completely depraved and unpredictable people all around. She was being beaten on the regular by her taskmaster dude. They took away her kill for the show. There was no feeling that she was in mortal peril the entire time she was there in the show.

I know the chain doesn't make much difference in the outcome, but I loved how it showed his unorthodox brilliance. And yeah, the end is also the same with the Jon/Halfhand sitution, I don't know. It didn't seem like it was given the weight that it should have been. That was a huge moment for Jon.

Now, Robb. Robb, Robb, Robb. The show's version is: Robb meets a spunky little camp healer who don't take no guff from kings. Robb is just overcome with Spunky's dazzling charm and fierce spirit. Then she tells him a horrific story and they bang, cause they's mad in love. Then they get married. This makes Robb a complete and utter dumbass who threw away his only chance of victory for lurve.

In the book: Robb is being cared for in the castle of a minor noble after an injury in battle. When he learns of his brothers being murdered (and his home being destroyed?) he is devastated and takes shelter in the only place available, the arms of the noble's daughter. Afterwards he goes into hardcore Stark mode, and decides that the only honorable thing he can do is marry the girl and deal with the consequences. This makes Robb a complete and utter dumbass who knowingly threw away his only chance of victory to follow his father's code of honor.

They did pretty much the same thing for Cat. She was changed from point of calm stability in a sea of chaos, somebody who thought about the political ramifications of actions and tried to help guide her son, to a wheepy mother who doesn't care about anything but getting her babies back. I know there is that part of Cat that is desperate to get her girls back in the books as well, but it's the only part of her that seemed to make it to the show.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess you're right that Ned's visions could be somewhat too revealing visually, however they provide tantalising hints to Jon's parentage that probably won't be revealed until the final book. Without these if the reveal ends up being what its widely predicted to be it might seem a bit out of left field.

Aye I was aware of the split for seasons 3 and 4 though - what I was thinking was as a lot of the Iron Born stuff chronologically takes place during A Storm of Swords and they will likely use it to beef up the fourth season. Hopefully they just film the 4th and 5th books as if they are one and don't bother with any of the split business - a whole season without Tyrion is unthinkable!

Anyone ever gone through the books one POV at a time? Something I was thinking of doing when I go for this years inevitable reread.
people that only watch the shows will QQ hard when they learn jons parents if the R&L theory turns out to be the truth. Ned sees dying Lyanna in his dreams, if we actually were shown the dream on the show, it would confirm what we all suspect.

i will not watch a season without tyrion. if i had known he wasnt in book 4 i may have not read it lol. and i hope 100% you are right about how they film books 4 and 5. i expect A LOT of traveling to be removed. that seems like their first and favorite thing to cut out of the books for tv adaptation.

ive thought about the PoV thing. but i just havent been able to sit down and do it. would be interesting im sure [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Fire Giant

I have to say, Cat's hatred of Jon always seemed a little weird given her character in the early books. I can understand how the situation would hurt her, but she just didn't seem the kind of person to have a life long hatred of somebody over something they had nothing to do with.

I saw a brief glimpse of Dany standing in front of the rows of troops in another promo, I got all excited. That scene should be pretty awesome to see played out in live action. My girlfriend has a horrible memory for these massively detailed plots, so we're about to start watching seasons one and two again this weekend to get ready for three. I'm sure I'll come across stuff I've forgotten to talk about.

Oh oh, also, I wish they made Tyrion's face closer to the books! I understand not completely removing his nose and upper lip, but they could have gone a LITTLE closer than just a scar.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cat has been on my shit list since day 1 because of how she treats jon snow. poor robb, never lost a battle, but ... and yes i agree, complete and utter dumbass.

i completely forgot how horrible it was for Arya at harrenhall. i agree i felt they didnt emphasize the importance of THAT particular castle, and you are correct on the show you never really feel shes in any danger at all after Tywin shows up.

theres a new season 3 trailor. it looks like Dany might just get her unsullied in season 3
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzI9v_B4sxw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzI9v_B4sxw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
oh man i cant fucking wait...you guys watch this one? Cast for season 3...the chick who plays misande(sp) is pretty damn hot, but older than I expected her to be!

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpSDSgChsaI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpSDSgChsaI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 02-28-2013, 09:45 AM
VIP / Contributor

and you should check out Game of Thrones when you're not to busy talking shit about the server or its staff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:

Old 02-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccezan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
oh man i cant fucking wait...you guys watch this one? Cast for season 3...the chick who plays misande(sp) is pretty damn hot, but older than I expected her to be!

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpSDSgChsaI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpSDSgChsaI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
That cast list video makes me excited - BWB, the Reeds and Brynden Tully at last! I wonder how they will introduce the latter two as The Reeds in particular should have already been pretty established by the end of the second season and Brynden Tully should have been raising hell with Robb since the first season. That dragon in the other preview looks awesom as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar
Damn, I keep forgetting about this thread. They changed the entire feel of Arya's story to me. They softened it up drastically for TV and made it like she was just hiding out at any old castle along the road. In the books it was an "if I make the slightest mistake somebody is going to fuck me, cut my throat, and then fuck my new throat hole" kind of place. Completely depraved and unpredictable people all around. She was being beaten on the regular by her taskmaster dude. They took away her kill for the show. There was no feeling that she was in mortal peril the entire time she was there in the show.
Aye, and I thought the whole making pals with Tywin Lannister was a bit odd as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar
They did pretty much the same thing for Cat. She was changed from point of calm stability in a sea of chaos, somebody who thought about the political ramifications of actions and tried to help guide her son, to a wheepy mother who doesn't care about anything but getting her babies back. I know there is that part of Cat that is desperate to get her girls back in the books as well, but it's the only part of her that seemed to make it to the show.
Yeah the dislike for Jon Snow immediately drops her in the rankings but her obsession with protecting her children is pretty prevalent throughout - and like you said the dislike for Jon stems from that. Like Sirken said the fact that he looks more like Ned than her kids and a constant symbol of betrayal being raised as well as one of her own probably drives the hatred - I'm sure she even says as much in one of her POVs. The drive to protect her children is what motivates all her actions and eventually what drives her into madness and undeath.

How do you guys think they will split Jon's/the Nights Watch storyline over two seasons?
<Asgard>
Old 02-28-2013, 04:11 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That cast list video makes me excited - BWB, the Reeds and Brynden Tully at last! I wonder how they will introduce the latter two as The Reeds in particular should have already been pretty established by the end of the second season and Brynden Tully should have been raising hell with Robb since the first season. That dragon in the other preview looks awesom as well.

Aye, and I thought the whole making pals with Tywin Lannister was a bit odd as well.

How do you guys think they will split Jon's/the Nights Watch storyline over two seasons?
forgive me, what is BWB? as far as the Reeds being introduced, i have the same questions. i just about lost my shit after season two because i thought they were gonna cut out the Reed kids. dunno how they are gonna do it on the show.

i liked Arya and Tywin :P

and what do u mean by split Jon and the nights watch in to two seasons? i imagine they'll just use the first half of book 3 (ending Season 3 when Sandor and Arya flee the twins moments after the red wedding has been confirmed).

the bigger concern is book 4, ie: no Jon, no Tyrion, no Dany, no The North

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
forgive me, what is BWB? as far as the Reeds being introduced, i have the same questions. i just about lost my shit after season two because i thought they were gonna cut out the Reed kids. dunno how they are gonna do it on the show.

i liked Arya and Tywin :P

and what do u mean by split Jon and the nights watch in to two seasons? i imagine they'll just use the first half of book 3 (ending Season 3 when Sandor and Arya flee the twins moments after the red wedding has been confirmed).

the bigger concern is book 4, ie: no Jon, no Tyrion, no Dany, no The North
BWB = Brotherhood Without Banners, Dondarrion et al.

Lol, I also quite liked the interactions although I can't work out why they changed it from Roose Bolton as he has had very little screen time considering his upcoming part in the Red Wedding.

It just seemed to me that there wasn't a lot going on with Jon as he mostly just hangs about with wildlings, climbs the Wall then bolts back to the NW for the battle with Mance. But thinking about it there's the Lord Commander election as well as Sam's adventures in the snow as well as a ton of stuff going on all over the rest of Westeros so I guess I'm just not thinking it through =P
<Asgard>
Old 03-01-2013, 03:35 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enslaved [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've seen them all, once; they are in no way comparable as pieces of art to the novels in my opinion, and both Breaking Bad and Walking Dead eclipse this series as television drama.
oh, the show about the guy that has had cancer longer than Magic Johnson has had AIDS. And the show that was so incredibly bad that it became the only show in TV history were 100% of the writing staff was fired for sucking after the first season.

Game of Thrones = 2 seasons (20 episodes), 34 Awards won, nominated for 45 others (0.58 episodes per award)

Breaking Bad = 5 seasons (54 episodes), 40 Awards won, nominated for 119 others (1.35 episodes per award)

Walking Dead = 3 seasons (30 episodes), 11 Awards won, nominated for 46 others (2.72 episodes per award)

so actually no. neither show eclipses GoT a television show.

as far as books being better.. the books are ALWAYS better

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 03-01-2013, 03:38 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
BWB = Brotherhood Without Banners, Dondarrion et al.

Lol, I also quite liked the interactions although I can't work out why they changed it from Roose Bolton as he has had very little screen time considering his upcoming part in the Red Wedding.

It just seemed to me that there wasn't a lot going on with Jon as he mostly just hangs about with wildlings, climbs the Wall then bolts back to the NW for the battle with Mance. But thinking about it there's the Lord Commander election as well as Sam's adventures in the snow as well as a ton of stuff going on all over the rest of Westeros so I guess I'm just not thinking it through =P
bah, im a noob, how could i forget the brotherhood. Roose Bolton as well as lord karstark should have had some face time in season 2 to familiarize the viewers with those characters. in the books we treally get to know them in season 2 when Jaime kills their kin before his capture. im with you 100% on Jon and the wildlings thing as well [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Closed Thread