Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Orc

Send a message via MSN to Kaleb

Am I worng in thinking these DDoS attacks usually happen around 11 - 12 PM EST on weeknights and randomly on weekends?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Sarnak

Near the end it was much earlier than 11 on weeknights. You're thinking Asians aren't you :P
Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Large Bat

Well drat, after posting I was thinking about possible costs, but you beat me to it.

However there are a lot of people in this thread promising donations to fix this problem, maybe this is where the donations can be spent, unless anyone has a better idea?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Kobold

There is a large thread about donations to help fix the problem over in server chat section. Many people have pledged to donate money(some alot of it) to fix this problem. They just need some,ANY, input form the devs about whether donations will help solve the ddos problems. I understand that some may worry about throwing money away if there is no plan to deal with the attacks.

Personally, I can't see how donations won't help.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

well traffic can be quite costly ... since they charge by the GB usualy ... since its a 100 mbit line (like the netgraph says, 11.1MB/s), or rather a gigabit line capped at 100mbit, thats quite some traffic you can generate ... its already 666MB per minute ... now im not up to date with the current traffic prices (since i only have traffic flat rates for my online servers), im just assuming it would be somewhere between $2 and $5 ...

so now lets take the $5 per GB, that means it would cost $3,33 per MINUTE the ddos attack goes on ... so if last nights attack would have been above the prepaid traffic limit, yesterday's ddos hour already cost $199,80 ...

i dont think donations would be enought to pay $200 per hour ... or $4795,20 per day or $143.856,00 per month ...

yeah of course most hosts have a "maximum" amount they charge for traffic, if you are above such a limit it usualy doesnt cost you anymore .. but even that limit is usualy in the $10.000 range ...
Old 04-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Kobold

oops, double post.
Last edited by choklo; 04-07-2010 at 12:08 PM..
Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaellaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
well traffic can be quite costly ... since they charge by the GB usualy ... since its a 100 mbit line (like the netgraph says, 11.1MB/s), or rather a gigabit line capped at 100mbit, thats quite some traffic you can generate ... its already 666MB per minute ... now im not up to date with the current traffic prices (since i only have traffic flat rates for my online servers), im just assuming it would be somewhere between $2 and $5 ...

so now lets take the $5 per GB, that means it would cost $3,33 per MINUTE the ddos attack goes on ... so if last nights attack would have been above the prepaid traffic limit, yesterday's ddos hour already cost $199,80 ...

i dont think donations would be enought to pay $200 per hour ... or $4795,20 per day or $143.856,00 per month ...

yeah of course most hosts have a "maximum" amount they charge for traffic, if you are above such a limit it usualy doesnt cost you anymore .. but even that limit is usualy in the $10.000 range ...
Fighting DDoS attacks by increasing bandwith won't work. The devs know this. There are other methods like using software, hardware and ISP providers that can work, but will cost money.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Large Bat

I never claimed to be an IT expert either, and probably paying for more bandwidth is not the best road to take. What I was really trying to point out it that you are unlikely to be able to reason with this individual (or individuals). The value they get from their attacks is in our response, and a significant part of that response is the server being down.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never claimed to be an IT expert either, and probably paying for more bandwidth is not the best road to take. What I was really trying to point out it that you are unlikely to be able to reason with this individual (or individuals). The value they get from their attacks is in our response, and a significant part of that response is the server being down.
true, but I think they are working out how to get them stopped for good, once they have a plan in mind im sure they will give us a update
Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Did the people ddossing ever talk to Rogean? What will it take for them to stop?
Closed Thread