Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Is variance still needed?
Yes, it promotes "competition" 75 29.18%
No, its an unneccesary non-classic time sink 182 70.82%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xadion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
oh my lord here we go with, health of the server again...its like 2008 all over again.

the people that are here are here...the only long term solution is velious , giving everyone the pixels for free is not the solution
Who's getting pixels for free? When there's a full repop you still have to earn what you kill. The only difference is that there's some meritocracy because you actually have to mobilize, and not just rely on your competition refusing to track through absurdly long windows. The former is classic, the latter is not.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 10-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

Oh my lord, here we go with, giving everyone the pixels for free is not the solution give us Velious and all the problems will be solved. No one's asking for free pixels, just an even playing field.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Fire Giant

I was mostly reffering to the "Change VP" thing- aka change it so everyone can get it with out trying. GM free VP is very much classic.

As for less variance and random "patch days" thats all great, first thing I told my guild was "I dont think we will be able to lock everything down 100% with all the mobs that will be popping at the speed they will" and honestly- thats fine...if we did we would burn ourselves out...so either 1) thats the point, others get some chances or 2) thats the point, burn out and die! muahahahahahaha!111!!!one!!!11

Xadion Von'Darkborn - Shadow Knight
Cory Von'Darkborn - Ranger
Brezner Von'Darkborn - Bard
Watermelons Siliconmelons - Corpse/Shaman

Old 10-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Sarnak

I'm on vacation in Mexico ATM laying on the beach a d this make me extremely. I'm in no rush to get back home but when i do it will make the limited play time i have MUCH more hospitable! I do think once a week may be too often but damn if you guys aren't trying something, awesome in my opinion that you are willing to move forward with something New for the server.! Thank you so much for trying to make this stale server evolve!!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

As it is right now, everyone can get into VP without trying, they just have to join TMO. If no training were enforced, it means that everyone would have to try in VP, TMO included, because they couldn't just sit back and leave a couple of trainers camped there to train the ever-living shit out of anyone who sets foot in the zone, whether they're there to raid, or just port to sky.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Sarnak

I always felt having VP as a survival of the fittest zone was cool. I've never seen it and never will, and that's fine with me, though I definitely would love to. It seemed like a place for the hardcore folks, not the casuals (which I am).

This was how it was on live, and this is how it should stay on here imo.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Planar Protector

I'm super late the the conversation, just getting back into P99 and then sifting through 28 pages of this.

Anyways, I personally think an extra spawn every week is too generous. I think EQMac's middle ground of server reset every 2 weeks is better. However, this is a 13 year old game, we are playing it because we enjoy it, not because these pixels are shinier. I'm all for providing everyone the opportunity to experience the parts of the game they missed on Live, as that is the reason I am here.

I am extremely glad to see an FTE shout mechanic coming to the raid scene. Hopefully it does what I predict and lessens GM involvement in FTE disputes.

YAY shorter variance! In "my" perfect world, variance would be 24hrs total (+/-12hrs), but 48hrs is a hell of a lot better than 96.

Finally, I think the serverwide respawn should be possible any time of the day. While I'm an EST player, I think there should be an equal shot at the serverwide respawn for all timezones and all lifestyles (shift workers, Euros, etc.).

Either way, hopefully this is more pixels for all, TMO gets to track less (and will very likely see more mobs killed as well). Its a win-win for every positive aspect on the server and a blow to pixel denial.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We're now leaning towards a full server respawn, instead of just raid targets.

How this would be executed is now what we need to determine, as to not interrupt current groups in progress and create a situation where a room full of mobs would repop on top of them.

Ideas we are talking about are giving enough of a warning, anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. We are also discussing the automatic teleport to the zone's safe coordinates or zone in location.

In considering how this normally worked back in the day, anytime the server came down there was usually significant warning of about 10 minutes before it did.

But I'd also like to bring up for discussion that I seem to remember when server's came back up in classic, it could usually take several hours for many raid mobs to spawn. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong.

Anyways, discuss.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We are also discussing the automatic teleport to the zone's safe coordinates or zone in location.
Personally, I do not think this should happen.

-Respawning of npcs - classic? check.
-Catching up on missing spawns due to lack of patches - classic? check.
-Teleporting people or moving them against their will - do not like.

I would rather disconnect everyone and have them able to rejoin than move them.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But I'd also like to bring up for discussion that I seem to remember when server's came back up in classic, it could usually take several hours for many raid mobs to spawn. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong.

Anyways, discuss.

After a while, I dont know exactly when- but I am sure our local patch historians can find out- but this was a change put in- it was where on server down/up there would not be insta repop of everything but a certian % of repop on server- and then a certian "window" for repop... I think it was 12hr max? I am sure someone can clarify this. It was put in later, dont know if it was vel or kunark... but it made it usualy so on server crash/patch you would come in and usualy 1/3-1/2 of raid mobs would be up (so you have to go check/track em) and then the rest would be repopping in a short little window to keep things intiresting.

Xadion Von'Darkborn - Shadow Knight
Cory Von'Darkborn - Ranger
Brezner Von'Darkborn - Bard
Watermelons Siliconmelons - Corpse/Shaman

Closed Thread