Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 11-28-2023, 02:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let's go back to this:

You said it was "referring to the choice of not using taunt vs spamming taunt", but the question you answered specifically said "So in your mind, spamming it and hoping to get the timing right is better than deliberately timing it right?"

The question clearly isn't about "the choice of not using taunt". Did you misread that question when you first answered it?
I am not sure why you are getting so hung up on that single post. What is the relevance when I have explained my position in so many different posts now? I already admitted that specific post wasn't worded well. You are basically looking at a single post and ignoring all my other posts. It's very suspicious to be honest.

What is unclear about what I said here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As I have stated multiple times, you can use both strategies. Spam taunt until your group needs strategic taunting.

Taunt has a 6 second cooldown and is unreliable. The opportunity cost of missing a single strategic taunt is extremely minimal, especially on a knight who has agro spells.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean, sure, you can spam taunt if you really think that miniscule amount of hate means something, and you think emergencies are unlikely.

If, however, there is an enchanter with a charm, and it's liable to break, it is utterly invaluable for the tank to at least try to taunt it first before committing to aggro spells. That is one such example of why you should keep taunt up whenever you can.

Isn't this obvious? There are also plenty more scenarios where it would come in handy, so keeping it off cooldown, in a dungeon where you're tanking for a group, is the wiser course of action.
The issue is you are putting too much importance on taunt. Taunt isn't reliable enough for you to assume it will work in said emergency situation. A good Knight is going to be watching for charm breaks, and is ready to cast their non-dot agro spells like shroud of hate/shadow vortex. A charm break isn't a very good example anyway, because the pet is going to beeline for the Enchanter on a break. You probably aren't going to be in melee range for taunt to begin with if the Enchanter pet is positioned behind the mob, since you are tanking the mob from the front.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-28-2023 at 02:33 AM..
Old 11-28-2023, 02:35 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am not sure why you are getting so hung up on that single post. What is the relevance when I have explained my position in so many different posts now? I already admitted that specific post wasn't worded well. You are basically looking at a single post and ignoring all my other posts. It's very suspicious to be honest.
When I brought up that answer, you responded by mis-characterizing the question in a textbook example of gaslighting. You asserted that you were anwering a question completely different than the question you were actually asked. Yeah, I'm a little hung up by someone attempting to gaslight me.

Also, you frequently mention your willingness to admit error. I believe you were in error here, in your mischaracterization of the original question. If you can admit this error we can easily move on, it doesn't have to be a big deal.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I brought up that answer, you responded by mis-characterizing the question in a textbook example of gaslighting. You asserted that you were anwering a question completely different than the question you were actually asked. Yeah, I'm a little hung up by someone attempting to gaslight me.

Also, you frequently mention your willingness to admit error. I believe you were in error here, in your mischaracterization of the original question. If you can admit this error we can easily move on, it doesn't have to be a big deal.
I did admit that I worded that post incorrectly. Twice. It isn't my fault you think the truth is "gaslighting" you lol. You are ignoring all of my other posts, including the posts on pages 2 and 3 which state the same points I have been making throughout this entire thread. My intent was to say that spamming taunt is better than not using it, because if you are too stingy about saving taunt, you end up not using it at all.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...9&postcount=14 - here is an example of me saying the same things I've been saying, on page 2 before the post in question (which is on page 4). I made a mistake with the wording of the post you are referring to. It's really that simple, and the post history confirms it.

You still haven't answered my question. What was unclear here?

Quote:
As I have stated multiple times, you can use both strategies. Spam taunt until your group needs strategic taunting.

Taunt has a 6 second cooldown and is unreliable. The opportunity cost of missing a single strategic taunt is extremely minimal, especially on a knight who has agro spells.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-28-2023 at 02:53 AM..
Old 11-28-2023, 02:54 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
I did admit that I worded that post incorrectly.
I appreciate the acknowledgement of error, while noting that my complaint is not the wording of the post, but the wording of the response when I brought it up; the mischaracterization of the question it purported to answer.

Quote:
You still haven't answered my question. What was unclear here?
You can use both strategies.
This can be read either normatively or proscriptively. In a normative interpretation, it's saying that you can use either strategy; "both are possible". In a proscriptive interpretation, it's saying that you should use both strategies, "both should be used". This is unclear.

Spam taunt until your group needs strategic taunting.

This entails multiple implications. "needs" implies that "strategic taunting" is situationally necessary; that it is sometimes the optimal strategy. "until" can be read as an imperative, a command or prescription to use "spam taunt" "until" some condition is satisfied. It can also be read tautologically: use A unless you need to use B, but the structural lack of an inverse, "use B unless you need to use A", implies an asymmetry that privileges A. In other words, if you state "use A unless you need B" but don't state "use B unless you need to use A", that entails an implicit endorsement of A. This creates a conflict between the facial interpretation and the structural interpretation, which makes it unclear.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I appreciate the acknowledgement of error, while noting that my complaint is not the wording of the post, but the wording of the response when I brought it up; the mischaracterization of the question it purported to answer.
I told you the truth about the intent of the post in question. All of my other posts do not make the claim you think I was making, so that should be evidence enough to show the post was simply worded poorly, which I acknowledge. There no gaslighting going on, simply human error on my part.

Quote:
You can use both strategies.
This can be read either normatively or proscriptively. In a normative interpretation, it's saying that you can use either strategy; "both are possible". In a proscriptive interpretation, it's saying that you should use both strategies, "both should be used". This is unclear.

Spam taunt until your group needs strategic taunting.

This entails multiple implications. "needs" implies that "strategic taunting" is situationally necessary; that it is sometimes the optimal strategy. "until" can be read as an imperative, a command or prescription to use "spam taunt" "until" some condition is satisfied. It can also be read tautologically: use A unless you need to use B, but the structural lack of an inverse, "use B unless you need to use A", implies an asymmetry that privileges A. In other words, if you state "use A unless you need B" but don't state "use B unless you need to use A", that entails an implicit endorsement of A. This creates a conflict between the facial interpretation and the structural interpretation, which makes it unclear.
You are overthinking this way too much.

You can spam taunt until you need to use taunt strategically. It is not more complicated than that. Taunt has a 6 second cooldown, which means the opportunity cost for switching from taunt spam to strategic taunting is 6 seconds at worst. Taunt is unreliable to begin with, which means you aren't assuming your strategic taunt will work anyway. You are already planning around a taunt failure.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:06 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
You are overthinking this way too much.
I'm just goofin' around on a Monday night. Ask a silly question, get a silly answer.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'm just goofin' around on a Monday night. Ask a silly question, get a silly answer.
It's pretty obvious you have been trolling just about the whole time. It's too bad your trolling isn't very good. It's painfully obvious to see where you are trying to steer the conversation into silly gotchas.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:11 AM
Kobold

DMS is the biggest troll on this fourm don't let him turn it around on anybody else. He just had his ass handed to him by bcbrown. I guarantee that I can taunt mobs before they run out of agro range.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesty07 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DMS is the biggest troll on this fourm don't let him turn it around on anybody else. He just had his ass handed to him by bcbrown. I guarantee that I can taunt mobs before they run out of agro range.
You are clearly a troll. You aren't hiding it at all. You haven't even tried to make an argument in this thread, you just post nonsense. Please stop trolling.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-28-2023 at 03:25 AM..
Old 11-28-2023, 03:15 AM
Kobold

Don't like what you say so you're a troll wahhhhhhhh. Big baby. YOU are the troll, nobody else in this thread. Learn to play everquest better.