Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
Read OP, briefly skimmed responses.

Two things:

1) In the past, previous GM's have restored stolen items on Red 99. Policy on that changed around the time I joined the staff as a Guide in August of 2013. It is not our responsibility to track down and return items lost due to players' own error. The chances of your account legitimately being hacked are extremely slim (<1%). The chances that you shared your info with someone, who then shared your info with someone, who then shared your info with two someones, until eventually it got to someone who stole everything is much more likely (>99%). I'm fairly certain that your login history showed definitively that you had shared your info in the past, so this is likely what happened.

One of the main issues here is that if your items have already been disseminated into the economy, we aren't going to then take those items off someone who legitimately purchased them with platinum. We also are not going to "dupe" the items by creating them once they've been sold. And again, even if the items have not been sold, it creates an inordinate amount of work for me (and I already have a long list of things to do every day) for a mistake that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

We have always restored deleted characters on both red and blue. That is an entirely different, and much more simple process.

2) That being said, while we may not return stolen items, we usually do ban the person who took them. This isn't always the case, as it's often extremely difficult to discern what happened in a given situation. I'm not going to give specifics, but this entire process can absolutely be used maliciously, and has in fact been used for this purpose in the past. That is why we are extremely careful in these situations and recommend not sharing your account information.

Also, we generally do reveal where the items went. I had thought I'd given you the players name in your petition thread. If that is not the case, re-petition, label it for me, and I will give you the name of the player who took your stuff when I have some time.

As a final thought, I truly am sorry to anyone who gets their stuff stolen. It's a shitty thing to do to someone, and even shittier to have it happen to you. But it's not something we're going to change policy on. If you don't want your stuff stolen, don't share your info! You may also want to avoid passwords like "12345" and "password". For ultimate protection, use an alpha-numeric password that includes capital letters and special characters in a random order. If that's too hard to remember, use a string of words in place of a single word (IE: "bobbarkerpunchedmyballs" is better than "testicles" or even "testiclepunch".

Good luck and please don't share your info if you continue to play here!

what a crock of crap. i didn't get to find out where most of my stuff went. The items you did tell me about where sitting on the toons that had taken them and you wouldn't return them either. I think this new policy is just a cop out because you would have had to punish lite/powered and it would have an impact on Azrael. I think you need to put an addendum in that post that states that results may vary based upon how we perceive the petitioner/ how well the perpetrator of the crime can weave a bull shit story about how justified they are in stealing the items.
Last edited by mostbitter; 09-25-2014 at 12:37 PM..
Old 09-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostbitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
what a crock of crap. i didn't get to find out where most of my stuff went. The items you did tell me about where sitting on the toons that had taken them and you wouldn't return them either. I think this new policy is just a cop out because you would have had to punish lite/powered and it would have an impact on Azrael. I think you need to put an addendum in that post that states that results may vary based upon how we perceive the petitioner/ how well the perpetrator of the crime can weave a bull shit story about how justified they are in stealing the items.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WIPE IT CLEAN ITS TERRIBLE
#elfpals discord
Old 09-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

post 2 more a cloak of flames bracer of hidden sash of dragon borne too
Last edited by mostbitter; 09-25-2014 at 12:53 PM..
Old 09-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostbitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You got a lot of nerve acting all self righteous after stealing from me. I hope you don't get aids.
I'd have taken your shit also, holding it while demanding you try to think before you act.

How is that lvl 30 epic war working out for you? Making an impact on the server daily?

This server is in a shitty state man, when I consider an idiot like you was geared that well, without ever being told how to act like you have an IQ above room temperature.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Kobold

I appreciate the kind words from everyone. Here is the history from the petition forums.

Here was Derubael's responses to my original petition:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Couple things:

I still have my doubts that your account was legitimately hacked. I will look further into that side of this to be sure, but actual account hacks are exceedingly rare.

That being said, we don't discuss punishments with players who don't own the account that's been punished, unless that player agrees to the release of that information. Suffice it to say that nobody is running around playing with your items.

Lastly, I think I stated earlier in this thread that as a general rule, we simply don't reimburse items lost on Red 99. There are a number of reasons for this - for one, people shouldn't be sharing their info to begin with, and for two, I have no way of knowing what the circumstances were surrounding your gear being moved to another character. For all I know, in situations like this, someone could have told someone else to take the gear off their character specifically to get them banned. There are simply too many variables.

I know that you look at this situation and think it's clear cut, but it's not. We have to look at the big picture here, and if we start reimbursing items with you, we have to start doing it with everyone in the future. And in the past. Or else it's favortism. So getting you your items back opens a huge can of worms I am not inclined to deal with.

I will, however, still speak with Sirken and see what he thinks. If he's willing to deal with situations like this in the future, then maybe we can do something here. If not, I'm not going to be able to get your items back.
My response back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothxu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the quick response Derubael. Some quick points:

Maybe hacked isn't the right word, but someone may have been able to guess my password. The name of the account is the name of the monk, which could have been easy to guess. The password is something I frequently use in other games / forums / etc. Not the best system I know, and I have since changed passwords around, but that is the situation.

Thanks for the comment. It's good to know someone isn't running around in a level 20 in unrest with my T-staff and CoF and AoN killing new players in unrest.

The reasons for not reimbursing items makes sense, but I also know there have been characters that have been restored in the past. MellowYellow rings a bell there, and he wasn't someone who you would call a good influence to the server. I have been nothing but a positive influence to the server and had something really shitty happen to me.

Your responses help clear some things up. I hope you are able to make an exception in my case to the general rule. I think the items I lost are also top tier items, it's not like I am talking about a fbss etc here, which should warrant an exception. The pure time investment in the server I would hope is considered as well.

Thanks for speaking with Sirken about this. I really appreciate that. Please let me know what you all decide.

PS. For what it's worth, if you all decide to not reimburse the items, I will most likely stop playing on the server. I am telling you that simply so that you know this is a very big deal to me, simply too much time was invested in that stuff (I think I spent the most time server-wide camping the T-Staff before I got it, and was one of the last vets to get the AoN due to bad luck). It wouldn't be right to ask for those items again from the guild, and I don't think I have it in me to farm another T-Staff.
Derubael's Response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I understand the frustration, and yes, in the distant past items stolen/stripped on red were reimbursed, but we haven't done one of those in many, many months - maybe even years.

It's just too much of a pain to sort out what's what. I'll still put it to Sirken to see what he says, but I would not expect anything different.
Sirken's Conclusion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
we looked into this and sadly theres nothing we can do about the items. also this is why we tell people not to share account info.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Kobold

My problem with Derubael's response is that originally he told me in his response that nobody is running around playing with my items.

Then he says this:

Quote:

One of the main issues here is that if your items have already been disseminated into the economy, we aren't going to then take those items off someone who legitimately purchased them with platinum. We also are not going to "dupe" the items by creating them once they've been sold. And again, even if the items have not been sold, it creates an inordinate amount of work for me (and I already have a long list of things to do every day) for a mistake that shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothxu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My problem with Derubael's response is that originally he told me in his response that nobody is running around playing with my items.

Then he says this:
You can't just say they attained those items through scamming you directly.

I suggested you got some items from the dude that gets banned for stripping you.

Would you be ok with that as an alternative?
Banned

who stripped u thats all that matters at this point
Kobold

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that your login history showed definitively that you had shared your info in the past, so this is likely what happened.
Did you actually look into this or are you just speculating? I am fine with you looking into it. It would help narrow things down.

I have also petitioned to get the name of the person who stripped it.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Planar Protector

Sucks dude, I hope that you don't use the same system in your bank account.
WIPE IT CLEAN ITS TERRIBLE
#elfpals discord
Closed Thread