Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 11-03-2023, 10:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^
Yea there is some slight permanent loss of strength, but only in certain movements, like manipulating a toenail clippers or doing a scissors motion
Froment's sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The doctor I really liked (although I’ve had mostly shit doctors for comparison), but he did give me some bad advice. When the nerve came out of socket and my hand went numb, he said not to wait “like 2 years” to have surgery on the arm. Well, when you tell a procrastinator like me not to wait “2 years”, I’m going to wait about a year and a half

But about a year into waiting I noticed my left hand was becoming skeletonized. Terrified, I called up the doc and scheduled the surgery. He took a look at the hand said “sorry, that atrophy is permanent”

I said “nah doc, building muscle is what I do”, and he said “there’s no fibers left to build”

But that wasn’t completely accurate, as the meat came back to my left hand to where you couldn’t even tell with a cursory glance which arm was fucked up now
Sounds like some terrible communication for sure. Glad I'm not a doctor and my miscommunications aren't going to fuck with somebody's nerves
Old 11-03-2023, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Froment's sign

Sounds like some terrible communication for sure. Glad I'm not a doctor and my miscommunications aren't going to fuck with somebody's nerves
Yea to that point I guess I still didn’t understand atrophy. I remember asking the doctor, “so doc, if someone was in a wheelchair for 15 years and their legs wasted away, then somehow their spine was repaired, they’d still have skinny skeleton legs forever?”

And he said yes
Old 11-04-2023, 12:16 AM
Banned

Get passed so rarely on my cardio mountain climb that it always startles me

Got passed today early on, and took a quick survey. Didn’t recognize the dude (I know most of the few cardio freak people who are faster than me, since they’re people that climb it every day or for some of them twice in a row/day). Had the right build, jacked legs and wiry small upper half. But he was in khaki shorts. Hmmm. Also noticed despite his fast hiking pace, he wasn’t running the straight parts. If you want a 25ish min summit time, you can’t even brisk walk those, you gotta run em

So I figured I’ll probably pass this dude. Sure enough at around the midpoint he had to step to one side to let me by. Eeeeugghh, that’s rough bro. Dude was still fast, finished only about a minute or 2 behind

People want to criticize that training for the girls is pointless. But I train for the boys. And by for, I mean against. Was fastest up today, if you ain’t in first yer last!
Old 11-04-2023, 12:28 AM
Planar Protector

Climbing elevation is such a force multiplier, it’s amazing. Hockey starts back up Sunday, usually gets me out of a fitness funk. Which I’m currently in, I do have a month no booze or weed and I’m feeling great. Little grace goes along way. Keep up the good work here folks.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteaded [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Climbing elevation is such a force multiplier, it’s amazing. Hockey starts back up Sunday, usually gets me out of a fitness funk. Which I’m currently in, I do have a month no booze or weed and I’m feeling great. Little grace goes along way. Keep up the good work here folks.
I’ve had a lifetime of jealousy ever since I was a kid for people who play team sports. All my fitness endeavors have been solo

The before and after IRL socializing and having to synchronize teamwork is good for the brain. You don’t get that with the solo stuff
Old 11-04-2023, 05:01 AM
Banned

Boogie said in some recent documentary that he paid $10,000 for training and travel for the boxing match of the lolcows vs WingsOfRedemption, and he only made 10k so it was a wash

I’m thinking breugh, I don’t think you ever threw a punch. You didn’t even look at your opponent, most of the time you were looking in a random direction before getting punched in the head. You paid $10k (or part of it) for that “training”?

I don’t think it was humanly possible to be a shittier boxer, so that training did fuckall
Old 11-04-2023, 10:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteaded [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
give me vert all day

did a big dayhike today that i've wanted to check off my list for a while, it was brutal even tho the stats don't suggest it

~13 miles 4,400' gain

ended up having miles of bushwack, literally at times crawling on my hands and knees through tunnels of bramble, thistle, poison oak

was a total sufferfest but type 2 fun, i'll laugh about it later
Old 11-04-2023, 11:12 PM
Planar Protector

If you're a fan of The Suck™ hit Sinkyone Wilderness in December and enjoy getting rainblasted while slogging through this shit:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

No joke though this is my favorite trek in California. When it comes to coastal views, people hype about Big Sur, but Sinkyone is a fraction as crowded, far more remote, and gorgeous if you haven't been. At least that was the case last time I did it in 2012, could have become more popular since then.

Fun fact: I did the road into Usal Beach, in March, while muddy, in a 2001 Toyota Camry lol

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Little Jackass Creek (not to be confused with Jackass Creek, which is further down the trail at Wheeler Beach) has the most attractive campground of the hike. For that matter, it’s one of the most attractive campgrounds in any redwood park. It’s one of the highlights of the hike. Located in a lush glen surrounded by precipitously steep, high, redwood-covered hills, the campground is set in an old-growth redwood grove (maybe part of the Sally Bell Grove), with 10 or 12 medium-sized redwoods visible from the trail. There aren’t actually a lot of places where you can camp under old-growth redwoods, and none of them can really compare to this campground. Unusually, there are also maples; the lighter foliage of the maples contrasts with the darker, more formal-looking redwoods and gives the grove a distinctively friendly, leafy appearance. The burbling of a little brook fills the grove, even in late summer. A short trail leads to a secluded beach. In fact the entire area is so secluded that even on a Labor Day weekend, I didn’t see a single person in the area all day.
Last edited by Lune; 11-04-2023 at 11:23 PM..
Old 11-04-2023, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

ended up having miles of bushwack, literally at times crawling on my hands and knees through tunnels of bramble, thistle, poison oak

was a total sufferfest but type 2 fun, i'll laugh about it later
Oye, I really struggle to think of any redeemable thing about bushwacking it

Edit: I’d rather stretch than bushwhack, and I hate stretching
Old 11-05-2023, 12:32 AM
Banned

^
May be due to the fact that every time I’ve had to bushwhack, it has also included being lost and increasingly anxious