Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 01:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The same people game the same systems every time. The same Blue AC campers farming plat are loading up the list on Green for AC. The system implicitly allows it. The guys who were rotating /list were the guys who were going to chain-camp it if /list didn't exist. The systems just give a cover story for what was going to happen either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a game that rewards time invested, so the people with the most time to invest get the most out of the game, by design.
If that's not the kind of game you like, might I suggest a racing game, or street fighting game, or any other non-MMOG game where time invested doesn't directly translate into in-game benefits?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If that's not the kind of game you like, might I suggest a racing game, or street fighting game, or any other non-MMOG game where time invested doesn't directly translate into in-game benefits?
While I agree with your premise, it sounds like the person you are responding to is thinking of a slightly different situation: not the same "person", but the same "people". As in you have a rotation of 3+ people that simply log in during their "time slot" and take over the camp from the previous. Under this situation, I could have 3 times the time available as any of those people and still not get anything for that time (being realistic with drop rates... "not getting the opportunity to get anything"), which is the exact opposite of what we expect in a game like this.

I'm not yet at a level where this really affects me, but an item like the RotA is something I'd like to equip on my character, and it's not like I can just farm the plat to buy it except in the case of outright purchasing loot rights, I guess.

I dunno, perhaps I'm mischaracterizing the sides of this argument.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, you nailed it first try. I'll expand my criticism to say that not only do the existing systems provide a cover story, they protect that class from competition from the other classes (the Red PvP element, the Live multiboxer element, etc.).
Old 06-10-2020, 02:36 PM
Aviak

Every time someone petitions a contested spawn the area around the spawn should become a PvP / arena area for one month. The only true and fair method of resolving pixel issues.

I wonder how many people complaining about the current system for AC have actually used it.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While I agree with your premise, it sounds like the person you are responding to is thinking of a slightly different situation: not the same "person", but the same "people". As in you have a rotation of 3+ people that simply log in during their "time slot" and take over the camp from the previous. Under this situation, I could have 3 times the time available as any of those people and still not get anything for that time (being realistic with drop rates... "not getting the opportunity to get anything"), which is the exact opposite of what we expect in a game like this.

I'm not yet at a level where this really affects me, but an item like the RotA is something I'd like to equip on my character, and it's not like I can just farm the plat to buy it except in the case of outright purchasing loot rights, I guess.

Well so this is why I kept asking Donkey if there was more context [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Now that we have all of the cards on the table ... what Donkey is actually talking about is a conspiracy of players. Having not sat at the AC list on Green myself, I can't confirm or refute that claim.

All I can say is that IF there is a cabal of players abusing the system, all it would take is one concerned player sitting at AC for a few days and recording who is up each time, to establish that that is in fact the case. And then once that's established, all that person has to do is /petition, and I would expect the staff to act in some way.

Until someone actually does that though ... I'm more inclined to believe this is just a player who is mad about the long line ahead of them, and they're baselessly imagining a conspiracy (because of Occam's Razor). And even if a conspiracy did exist (which again, I can't rule out) ... it's a whole other claim on top of that to say that the staff wants it to stay that way ... a claim that can very easily be tested by doing what I described.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-10-2020 at 03:03 PM..
Old 06-10-2020, 03:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i didn't get the pixels immediately when i showed up at the camp

so the rules have to change for my instant gratification-

-this is like 1/4 of all posts
can we seriously consider making a forum for these types of threads? or moving them all to RnF?

people are always complaining about this camp or that raid boss. EQ by its own design is not "fair" in that the people with the most time to invest in the game, will get further than you, every time.

The speed of technology has made everyone expect their desired results instantly.

This is a game from 1999. Back then we still had payphones, 14.4 modems, 7-10 business days for payroll check deposits. It was a slower pace of life.

So threads complaining that the player can't get this camp, or isnt able to camp a named, or doesnt have the time to sit and poopsock...

All of these threads should be in Rants n Flames.

Including the one i posted a couple months ago about working an essential job and others being able to play all day.
Last edited by Trexller; 06-10-2020 at 03:39 PM..
Old 06-10-2020, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well my refusal to construe the argument as anything but trivial so that I could speak condescendingly to Donkey as if he was FOB from reddit is all Donkey's fault. QED.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:15 PM
Planar Protector

Lists are gay. Pvp is not. Homosexuality is better.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

The person would be incorrect in this case though. The list for the AC was, as of this afternoon, 120 people long and the order was being strictly enforced (you can log off and/or go AFK all you want but you lose your spot if you are not online when your turn comes). So there’s no rotation going on among a select number of individuals.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A guy on my friendslist said he got 3 ac rings in the last week and has been able to get a spot through friends nudging him in after them. I havent been there or tried but i dont trust a long player list. They are never legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288
He's wrong.
t. 102nd in line
I dunno about this google doc or legal eagles very carefully scrutinizing it as they go play elsewhere and trust EverQuest players to treat their position in line with respect; both seem like abstract concepts. What I do know is on Blue, there was a guy in DaP who would regularly brag in /gu about how he and his buddies would game AC. They had multiple toons parked there and would simply tell people who wanted it that they were X in line and then alternate from each other's pool of toons until the schmucks in line gave up. This guy had corpses piled up at druid rings with the AC ring on them because the GM's would occasionally check the island corpses on a complaint.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=116

Or how about this thread (oh hey! Loramin is being a supercilious prig again) where this camper just has rings on demand. Nah, I'm sure Green is totally different because there's a google doc.
Closed Thread