Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Orc

TL;DR

Eliseus: I'm really sarcastic and very, very good at video games. For this reason, EQ is not hard. If you think EQ is hard, it is because you are not good at video games (like I was when I was 10). Did I mention I'm really good at video games. Everyone who plays P99; you sit on a throne of lies.

forensic: I am unreasonably upset by Eliseus' parade. I make some good points that EQ is a hard game, but by engaging in a clearly ridiculous argument actually downgrade my own standing.

me: I wish EQ Classic/P99 would give me my soul back, I was kind of using it. It has an incredible amount of depth for a video game, as has been pointed out many times.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Aviak

I'm not actually upset, I just think vigorous forum trolling is part of the EQ classic experience. It makes me nostalgic when the MMO cool kids tell me I'm lame and that I have no "standing"

eq classic forums had 4 types of people:
1. Trolls who say wrong stuff that is provocative (that guy)
2. Trolls who are right who share brilliant insights in a hostile manner (me)
3. Cool kids who kibitz from the sidelines, judging the trolls and instigating further debate
4. Carebears who want everyone to cut the hostility, completely failing to understand why people go on forums in the first place (to be dicks)
Old 09-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
An additional thought that wasn't mentioned above:

Skill is extremely meaningful in EQ. As a result, the game attracts hardcore players who like to know that their skills enable them to be a more effective player. What do I mean by this?

When I played EQ back in 1999 there was a HUGE range of game knowledge and skills. There were enchanters who took forever to mezz, monks who waiting for a mob to die before bringing the next (or perhaps lacked the ability to split), clerics who couldn't time a CH, and myriad other skill deficiencies. An unskilled group was not nearly as effective as a skilled one.

Additionally, skill opens a lot of doors in EQ as EQ gives you the opportunity to challenge yourself. Is it easy to zerg rush dragons with a 72 person raid? Of course. I don't think that's where people derive most of their fun. I think they derive fun from taking a group of 6 people and attempting to 1 group raid content. The same can be said for duoing a Named mob designed for a group. It's fun because your skill is often the difference between winning / dying. In the end, "challenge" in EQ is based on your play style -- and the game permits all levels of challenge.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by forensic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3. epically Cool kids who kibitz from the sidelines, judging the trolls and instigating further debate (mtkoan)
4. Carebears who want everyone to cut the hostility, completely failing to understand why people go on forums in the first place (to be dicks)
FTFY
Old 09-10-2014, 02:06 AM
Sarnak

The way I look it at, just starting out, your naked, with a shitty weapon usually starting in a zone with little monsters that can 3 hit kill you. There you are.. No game is as harsh as that these days.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothsa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The way I look it at, just starting out, your naked, with a shitty weapon usually starting in a zone with little monsters that can 3 hit kill you. There you are.. No game is as harsh as that these days.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Hi there, what brought me to EQ was a genuine interest since I was a kid. EQ always seemed like such a vast, fun world. I'm really glad p99 is a thing since I never got to experience it in its heyday. If anyone would wanna play with me (i'm a lowbie, started today basically) I'm a Monk by the name of Gutra!
Closed Thread