Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

View Poll Results: Should the extra +50% experience bonus remain?
Leave the +50% active 155 86.59%
Remove the +50% 24 13.41%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Fire Giant

wtb item loot for more diversity
Old 09-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

Held items were only lootable on very early rallos zek and would certainly not be lootable here (because it would penalize melee disproportionately)

Item loot without XP loss would be great. It would certainly encourage people to PVP. It would be different PVP but I know that I'd be encouraged to hunt other players if there was a possibility of an even half decent item to be looted.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Item loot will just result in an even larger nihilum type guild as people band together to limit their risk.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukahwa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Held items were only lootable on very early rallos zek and would certainly not be lootable here (because it would penalize melee disproportionately)

Item loot without XP loss would be great. It would certainly encourage people to PVP. It would be different PVP but I know that I'd be encouraged to hunt other players if there was a possibility of an even half decent item to be looted.
Just bought a lvl 60 wiz, wants item loot
Old 09-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

Item loot will destroy PVP forever. No one wants to lose their shinies. The majority of people will be in one guild, sort of like how it is now except even worse, those people will also have all the raid loot (non-droppable VP gear), and will proceed to rape the so-called "hardcore pvpers" here for dat item loot. Really bad idea on this server.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

lets focus on YT first myladies
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseBanned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just bought a lvl 60 wiz, wants item loot
Lol you think Gunnagetcha actually sold his account? that is a good plan tho.

Good point about non Nihilum high levels getting smashed by no drop geared nihilum guys. WTB pop
Old 09-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Orc

--Warning *new player* please do not flame to death--

I made a character on Legacy of Zek and r99 to see what the main differences were. I played 10-15 hours on each as an iksar SK on r99 and an iksar SK on LoZ

r99
-very difficult to level, especially without gear or people to group with.
-Extreme amount of mobs around field of bone makes it difficult to solo pull anything.
-the 35% penalty HITS really really hard. My friend i managed to get playing leveled a shaman at the same time i was and was easily outpacing me. Almost forced to reroll war or necro
-OOC is filled with bickering back and forth. Being unable to ask questions or for help pre-level 10 can be tiring.
- The classic feel is nice

Legacy of Zek
- Currently every zone is a hot zone. I leveled up very quickly and was able to get on my feet within 2-3 hours of roaming field of bone
- I think the mob spawns were somewhat broken resulting in less mobs in FoB. This made it manageable though as i could pull mobs easier.
- Having text labeling merchants and having spell merchants near the trainers helped a lot as well as beginner mobs in the city. After time i could have it all memorized but as a new player it slowed down my process without labels and or a city map in the beginning.
- Yellow text was actually really cool and i had forgotten how exciting it made things. Seeing a lot of it pop up with the who and where was neat. It let me know right away who was a danger and who wasnt as well as what guilds were competing against each other.
- Damage on mobs has been increased to hit for cap more making it easier to solo.

I played EQ when i was 10 until 17-18. I am 24 now and going back brought a lot of nostalgia, especially on r99. I am a hard core player and for the most part i do not have trouble investing my time into grinding (i prefer grinding over questing any day of the week). The problem i see is that from 10-18 i had PLENTY of free time to do whatever i wanted. Now with a career and all kinds of other bullshit, my time is very limited. Had the server a population of 250+ i could easily see a hardcore grind with minimal exp bonus viable. With the current population though, the amount of time it takes to build up my character/gear (in a very item based game) is just not realistic for most that will find this game.

People can go ahead and flame me but i am speaking from what an outsider with limited time would say to this box. The feeling is there, the nostalgia is there but the convenience is not. In order to pull in new players you need to DRASTICALLY speed up the process to get from low pop to where all the people are. That means:

1-30 is fast as hell (150-200% increase and maybe low level loot/money)
30-40 is still fast (100-150% increase in xp/loot/plat)
40-50 is winding down the progression (50-100% increase in xp/loot/play)
50-60 is normal or maybe 25% increase etc.

There is no way unless i had months off and my parents decided to give me all their money that i would be able to invest the time required on r99 to reach where the community is at now. Is it possible for the gem in the rough? Sure. But to keep the most players/highest pop you are going to need to facilitate getting to the end.

Not to mention almost any person i saw near my level during that time was twinked to high heaven.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Item loot is a HUGE penalty for dying - keep in mind some items on blue have a market value of over 200k, so if you lose your BCG or donal's BP when you die (possibly to a bug that didn't exist in classic), you're losing hundreds of thousands of plat just for participating in pvp. I think item loot is fun, but I also think perma death is fun, and obviously you can't have a healthy server in the long-term with such a harsh punishment for losing in pvp. It will just cause people to horde exploits more than they already have. Theoretically someone could kill someone with macroquest, transfer any valuable item before they get banned to a friend, and still get to keep their spoils. It's not like the staff has the time to police every little item transaction from someone who's been banned, and it's not like you would even know if a person got banned for MQ, so you couldn't ask them to investigate. A less extreme situation might be if someone stacks resists or stats so that they have 300+ in every resist due to an exploit, or if someone has the bug where they see you in a zone but you don't see them, or if they're speed-bugged so that they move twice as fast (something that happened to me the last time I logged in). If players figure out how to consistently use these exploits, and you have harsh punishments for pvp like item loot, you can expect the server to fail. Maybe if the server had more staff to police every little pvp encounter to make sure it was fair and no one cheated, then item loot would work, but I don't see that ever happening and I don't even think we'd want that.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

rofl did u really poll that?
Closed Thread