Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emubird [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The news from SoE about a possible new server is rather vague, and even if it were not so vague, could never be trustworthy, as SoE has never been trustworthy.

If a new server is to be progression-type, as before, then I probably will not move back to EQ live. The first progression servers were so badly done on SoE's end, with SoE intentionally leaving in items, zone changes, quests, and even instances, so that certain people could exploit such things to gain rapid advancement, that I would not wish to take part in it again.

If, however, SoE managed to create a progression-type server with long time lockouts, or with broader-based progression requirements (for example requiring 20% of the population to meet progression requirements before next expansion is unlocked, or something like that), then I would return to live EQ to play on such a new server.

If SoE decides to create a classic server (which I personally doubt will ever happen), then I would definitely leave Project 1999 for such a server. Only SoE can create a truly classic EQ server, with the correct game code, just as it was in 1999. Leveling up from scratch on a truly classic server would be too attractive for me to pass up. Things here on Project 1999 are fun, but let's face it, they have hardly been very classic until just this last week, and using the emu code will always limit things. Most of us have leveled up two, three characters to 50 in the past seven months, assisted by things like translocators and experience exploits in certain zones and with certain quests, as well as bugged/exploitable item drops, mob pathing and mob spawning. Also, we have maxed tradeskills by using a system that allowed us to utilize recipes that should never have been in the game and a tradeskill interface that greatly accelerates production and advancement, and we have been able to utilize items sold in infinite quantities by merchants that should never have had these items. Sure, these things are being fixed now; but the first seven months on Project 1999 have been a far cry from truly classic. And I would happily pay to experience a true classic experience once more.

I am hoping that once everything here on Project 1999 is fixed and 'classicized', there will be a server reboot, or a new server launched. Whoever wants to stay on the original server with their characters can do so and have all the fun they want. But I know that I and at least some others will happily start over to experience something a bit more classic.

Don't hold your breath, though; SoE has always been so incapable and unreliable that it is unlikely anything good will come from a new server. So probably we'll all just still be here having fun.
Doesn't mean much but during their last new server announcement the devs were pretty vocal about not leaving in out-of-era content. There was a huge thread where they compiled a list of all things that should not be on a new progression server. So it looks like they were admitting they screwed up some things and wanted to

Reiker's top 4 "lol Progression" moments:

4) Craftable range weapons in Kunark with Vulak Aerr-ish stat bonuses.
3) New style alchemy pots allowing me to solo just about anything including Lodizal during Velious.
2) Jailer event in Dreadlands: Spawn as many lower PoP tier bosses as you want for PoTime quality loot!
1) Killing revamped Innoruuk in Luclin for Req 65 Rec 70 loot.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Fire Giant

But they will have those beatifully redone zones like Freeport. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Orc

What they need to do is make EQ live into only the classic version, with most or all of the new crappy models thrown out. Then, they need to have it so it progresses so that maybe Kunark comes out a year down the road or so, and then eventually Velious, but it should stop there. Then, they need to fire all their crud-on-my-service and get some customer service, and GM's that are real people who care about the community and simply do their best just to make it tip-top. Last but not least, they should make it free, without the ability to purchase in-game advantages with out-of-game favors.

Oh wait...
Old 05-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by emubird [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The news from SoE about a possible new server is rather vague, and even if it were not so vague, could never be trustworthy, as SoE has never been trustworthy.

If a new server is to be progression-type, as before, then I probably will not move back to EQ live. The first progression servers were so badly done on SoE's end, with SoE intentionally leaving in items, zone changes, quests, and even instances, so that certain people could exploit such things to gain rapid advancement, that I would not wish to take part in it again.

If, however, SoE managed to create a progression-type server with long time lockouts, or with broader-based progression requirements (for example requiring 20% of the population to meet progression requirements before next expansion is unlocked, or something like that), then I would return to live EQ to play on such a new server.

If SoE decides to create a classic server (which I personally doubt will ever happen), then I would definitely leave Project 1999 for such a server. Only SoE can create a truly classic EQ server, with the correct game code, just as it was in 1999. Leveling up from scratch on a truly classic server would be too attractive for me to pass up. Things here on Project 1999 are fun, but let's face it, they have hardly been very classic until just this last week, and using the emu code will always limit things. Most of us have leveled up two, three characters to 50 in the past seven months, assisted by things like translocators and experience exploits in certain zones and with certain quests, as well as bugged/exploitable item drops, mob pathing and mob spawning. Also, we have maxed tradeskills by using a system that allowed us to utilize recipes that should never have been in the game and a tradeskill interface that greatly accelerates production and advancement, and we have been able to utilize items sold in infinite quantities by merchants that should never have had these items. Sure, these things are being fixed now; but the first seven months on Project 1999 have been a far cry from truly classic. And I would happily pay to experience a true classic experience once more.

I am hoping that once everything here on Project 1999 is fixed and 'classicized', there will be a server reboot, or a new server launched. Whoever wants to stay on the original server with their characters can do so and have all the fun they want. But I know that I and at least some others will happily start over to experience something a bit more classic.

Don't hold your breath, though; SoE has always been so incapable and unreliable that it is unlikely anything good will come from a new server. So probably we'll all just still be here having fun.
Every new nugget of information I learn in-game is like a diamond to me.

Even if you could fix all of hte bugs and make it 100% classic, you can't erase peoples memories. For example, it took me 13 days /played to get level 13 in 1999. It takes me just a day or two /played to get that now. Why? Because I know where to go and what to do. I know the zones I'm in by memory. I'm playing a ranger and intentionally killing myself and re-rolling because I level so fast. It's because of what I know. Sure, I learn new things sometimes. I like that, but most of what I see is what I've seen before.

There're people in their 20's and 30's that I saw not too long ago at level 7. People level up fairly quickly on this server. I should know because none of my alts are greater than 15.

People know exactly where to camp items. They know exactly where to go to get experience. This accelerates everything. The economy is filled with examples of this. You can't stop it.

There can never be a 100% classic experience unless it's a new game.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 05-24-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Old 05-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Sarnak

Xantarr-- "Then, they need to fire all their crud-on-my-service and get some customer service"

X customer service was always working... they just could not make decisions without GM oversight. Had this prob a few times myself.

I will never, ever go back to SONY EQ. SONY EQ is not the same game as what was started in 99. The ONLY thing SONY EQ is concerned about is getting your credit card numbers. Why do u think the pricing is so high on everything>? Every single thing requires boatloads of plat. And farming plat? gone.... I could go on and on about how SONY EQ has ruined the game... but so could we all.
Soulez Taken SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimm View Post
Not only best thread ever, but best poster ever. Going back and reading each one of this guy's 101 posts has been amazing. Its like someone gave a down syndrome child a handle of vodka and a keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind View Post
Where did my underwear go?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Sarnak

Oh, and about the new server: if it's not time-locked progression, then what's the point? Classic (including up to Velious) will be over within 3 months. I probably wouldn't even be 50 by then.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantarr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What they need to do is make EQ live into only the classic version, with most or all of the new crappy models thrown out. Then, they need to have it so it progresses so that maybe Kunark comes out a year down the road or so, and then eventually Velious, but it should stop there. Then, they need to fire all their crud-on-my-service and get some customer service, and GM's that are real people who care about the community and simply do their best just to make it tip-top. Last but not least, they should make it free, without the ability to purchase in-game advantages with out-of-game favors.

Oh wait...
Ohhhhhhhh, I see what he did there...[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by redghosthunter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

X customer service was always working... they just could not make decisions without GM oversight. Had this prob a few times myself.
That's true, I'd have to agree with you there, iirc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redghosthunter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The ONLY thing SONY EQ is concerned about is getting your credit card numbers. Why do u think the pricing is so high on everything>?
Although I must say that if Sony EQ were so concerned about making money, they wouldn't be doing what they're doing. That's the point - they'd have made more money if they had done what Nilbog et al. have done.

Anyway, higher prices do not mean higher profits. It's incorrect to assume that a company charges higher prices because they're greedy. Nearly all corporations seek to maximize profits in some respect or another - sometimes by lowering prices. It's just that Sony EQ failed to capitalize on these potential profits, not because of greed, but because they were apparently unaware of what it was their customers really wanted.

That's just my 2 cents :]
Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Planar Protector

they will never have classic eq like we have it here on emu cause they would need a separate patcher and this will NEVER happen.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Aviak

SOE lost alot of intergrity over the years, mainly by going back on things they said they would never do. The fact that you can uber-ize your character with real money is just...well, it killed the game in my eyes. Velious is when I started playing, quitting after GoD and the random letter names of mobs (like someone threw a bunch of scrabble letters onto a table and the first 5 they picked up became the next mob's name). Met my husband on the first attempt they made at a progression server. It would be interesting to see what their idea for this "new" server will be...and how much interest they can really re-gain after all this time.
Zaredi the War Kitten
Last edited by Alleusion; 05-25-2010 at 09:33 AM..
Closed Thread