Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 09-07-2024, 02:54 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Level 50 shaman looking for some advice on what gear to look for,

So I've recently leveled my barbarian shaman up to 50 and started fighting the ice giants in Everfrost Peaks, so I have some money coming in finally, a little over 1000p so far. I'm looking to start improving my gear but I really don't know what I should be focusing on. I feel like I should focus on wisdom but all the gear with that on it seems to be low on AC, which worries me. Also, I don't know what gear I should be looking out for that would be a good bargain. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Here's what I have so far: https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Green:Malkor

I should also note that I'm hoping to fight Nagafen and Vox at least once each, so I probably won't be going over 52 real fast.
Old 09-07-2024, 07:23 AM
Planar Protector

Are you running out of mana / feeling over reliant on canni or are you taking hits?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 09-07-2024, 10:14 AM
Planar Protector

gatorscale legs, withered leather boots, chipped bone bracelets will get your wise up a bit more

i wouldnt worry about AC too much...its more important when you're torp tanking summoning mobs which you're a long ways off from

find and friend monk twinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Old 09-07-2024, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

Many of you may hate toxigens advice.
EQ is a cooperative/grouping game.
Sorry.
Old 09-07-2024, 11:29 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you running out of mana / feeling over reliant on canni or are you taking hits?
Well, right now, fighting the ice giants I'm taking hits and running out of mana to be honest but there's enough time between them to regain it all back. When I was in groups in City of Mist before that I was pretty much not getting hit at all but I did have some trouble with mana here and there.
Old 09-07-2024, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

https://wiki.project1999.com/Equipping_a_Shaman

In general, levels > gear, so for most people I'd say your best bet is to not even try to get more gear: Shaman are awesome and can solo fine without it. Soloing to 60, then getting gear, will be the most efficient path.

But, given this goal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I should also note that I'm hoping to fight Nagafen and Vox at least once each, so I probably won't be going over 52 real fast.
Well, two things. First off, the dragons here aren't like the dragons on live, which is to say 95%+ of the players killing them aren't on their first level 52 char ... they're on their second ... or sixth. They're in a top raiding guild on the server, and playing a level 52 alt (or a "bot", ie. a guild shared account). Furthermore, these players are waiting on a "Batphone" (Discord message, text, etc.) to alert them when the dragons appear, so they can kill them as quickly as possible.

If you're serious about seeing Vox and Naggy, you need to join such a guild. You could make some sort of deal to not join but "ride along" for no loot ... but that would likely be more work, and if you want to see Vox/Naggy, you'll probably want to Tunare and King Tormax, or maybe even Vulak`Aerr someday, so why not join now?

Second (getting back to your original request), stats are the worst thing to go for. You truly won't notice 30 more points of AC/HP/Wisdom even half as much as you'll notice the clickies from your epic or a JBB. You'll also get more "bang for your buck" from just the the instant-SoW booties from your epic quest, the 5HP regen from a Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate, or the reclaim energy of a Mage focus item (clicked from inventory ... this one sounds like nothing, but it lets you get a max-level pet for your soloing session in only a few minutes, which makes a big difference).

In short, while Toxigen had some great stat gear suggestions, if you want to go that route, I'd suggest instead checking out the "notable" items on the Equipping a Shaman page, and focus on them ... if you're not going to level.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 09-08-2024, 12:55 PM
Fire Giant

Levelled 3 shaman to 60 so far (Ogre, Troll, Barbarian)

as far as im concerned, HP and AC are way more important than wis (to a degree) for a shaman. a lot of shaman make the mistake of choosing the Low AC wisdom gear meant for druids. but shaman might wind up tanking occasionally, so AC is king. HP means more cannibalize ammo, so prioritize HP. Even between 45-54 stuff starting really whooping my ass even with slow, I was face tanking with Turgurs Insects on the shaman who i didnt buy epic MQ for (#1 and #3)

your gear looks pretty good so far - some suggestions I'd make (that are cheap or free if you can get it to drop)

If you can save up money, you can buy these - or try to camp them.

Face: Crystal Spider Eyes Get a Velks group. Encourage your group to camp Crystal Eyes - or buy for (~800p - 1kp)

Arms: Crystal Chitin Armplates Also attainable in a Velks group - or can be bought relatively cheaply for like 700-900p.

Feet: Barbed Dragonscale BootsImpossible to get solo unless you have Kael faction already... but not too expensive (900p - 1.1k)

Gloves: Coldain Skin Gloves Also impossible to achieve solo at level 50 - but well worth every penny. This is near BiS for shaman. (2k plat)

Those 4 upgrades alone will net you +135 HP, +55 MANA, +5 WIS, +23 STA, +23 AC. They will also last you until you replace them with high-end no-drop raid gear.

I'm also a fan of
Shoulders: Obulus Death Shroud (~ 1.5k plat)

Legs: Crystal Chitin Leggings (~2k plat)

Shield: Sarnak Battle Shield can't recommend switching to this shield enough. It's got way more AC than your current, +40HP and incredible +SVs. You'll lose a bit of mana switching to it, but it's a good tradeoff imo.

All this being said: you can definitely reach 60, join a raiding guild, get your epic, etc with the current gear you have. You'll get upgrades on raids, which is the best way to do it. (Upgrade droppable loot to no-drop, sell the droppable replaced items and profit)
Old 09-12-2024, 04:41 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Well, thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll try and figure something out. I'm not in that big a rush so I'll take my time with it.
Old 09-17-2024, 11:15 AM
Kobold

You can do Ice Giants until about 55 before the exp really falls off a cliff. The good news is you don't need any gear for it either, you already have the inexpensive jaundice bone stuff for some click buffs.

How to kill ice giants and never take a hit:
Haste pet and pet attack ice giant
Use your highest level slow on the ice giant so the pet can survive the fight
Use your highest level Canni twice
Cast plague
Use your highest level Canni twice
Cast Envenomened Bolt
Canni until your mana is 1 bar more than your health (or until your health is down to ~40%) then sit an med while your pet kills the giant.

Bonus: you can use your clicky buffs on your pet to make it even stronger.

The biggest thing that will benefit you if you don't already have one is a GCD clicky (basically anything that can be clicked with no cast time, aka instant cast). You can put the click on your hotbar and alternate between the clicky and Canni to eliminate the recast time in between casts.

The best item by far that I acquired on my shammy is the fungi staff, it serves as a GCD click and a manaless regen spell that helps you recoup HP so you can convert even more into mana faster and have essentially infinite mana (eventually at lvl 60 torpor replaces the fungi staff but you use it the same way so good practice)