Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 07-25-2024, 05:42 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaiyan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I personally don’t like being stunned.
This is the way. Embrace fatness and FSI

2nd best would be Troll for regen + access to blood ember clickies. But trolls are also fat AND ugly. Ogre's maintain dominance as handsome fatties.
Old 07-25-2024, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

I wish different types of SK's had access to specific clicky items that only their race/deity can obtain, would make things more interesting:

Human, all but Bertox = Feign Death
Human, Bertox worshipers = Disease DoTs, up to Scourge and Asystole
Erudite = all Fear and Shielding (HP, AC, Magic Resist buff) spells, up to level 44 Necro list
Dark Elf = Gather Shadows (instant invis) and Darkness (snare)
Troll = Darkness
Ogre = Shroud of Pain
Iksar = nothing because they already have both regen and AC buff

Also for Necro the same line of thinking, with the one difference being Human bertox followers would get a more powerful disease clicky than Gnome bertox followers, since Gnomes already have other benefits.
Old 07-25-2024, 10:22 PM
Planar Protector

I can’t remember a single time being bashed from the front cost me a death or the guild/group anything.

I can remember a lot of times getting murdered by LDC’s when the zone-out was blocked or getting stuck on a ladder in HK.

I’m a proponent of the stats. It’s a nice perk. If you like ogres and trolls all the better. Its just not what is going to hold you back on your goals. A human SK is just badass. It’s also the only “medium” SK other than iksar that can use a Frostreaver.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:36 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most mid-level tank gear if optimized for HP’s has AC/Stam/hps. HGL’s, Vindi Bp, Vindi boots, etc. It doesnt really matter, aggro is king, but an ogre or troll will hit those caps easier outside intel.
Amazing that the idea of "mid-level tank gear" is No Drop raid items.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Amazing that the idea of "mid-level tank gear" is No Drop raid items.
Yea for sure. My pally is mid-tier at best for p99. On live in this era would be considered heavily geared. Still doesn’t cap STR without maniacal or Yaulping. Caps STA though.

My baby SK ERU is nowhere near capping either.

https://wiki.project1999.com/index.p...ntro=&section=

She is still in progress so I don’t care about the Chardok staples but even with those, and SS plate will need some help to “not have to worry about stats”.
Old 08-29-2024, 03:39 PM
Fire Giant

FSI is very convenient for a shadowknight. No other racial is useful while tanking, and the ability to ignore most bashes is great QOL. It's also amazing for pulling with FD because you don't always have room to do it without letting the mobs reach you. Nice when fear-kiting as well because you're gonna eat a bash literally every time fear breaks, although a dedicated soloer would probably get more out of regen.

But the most underrated thing about ogres is that you get like 50 free stamina. Contrary to popular belief (and constant claims by dumb people), you don't just max out stamina as a smaller race. You would need pretty much full BIS Velious raid gear to cap the stat unbuffed, which is what you really want because a free buff slot is worth a lot.

Most players never even have the opportunity to think about getting the kind of gear that a hum/iks/DE/eru needs to max out their stamina. Even doing it buffed requires some pretty serious gear, and getting to 255 unbuffed is very nearly impossible for those races. There's like, what, maybe ten players on the server who have that kind of gear?

When someone asks what race to pick, it's generally safe to assume that they're not the kind of player who's going to be raiding hardcore full-time in the server's top guild. In that case, ogre is so vastly superior to the other races that it's kind of absurd. You're pretty much just getting +50 stamina for free, on top of the best SK racial. There's no contest.
Last edited by greatdane; 08-29-2024 at 03:43 PM..
Old 08-29-2024, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

I've done 4 different SK builds(Iksar/Troll/Ogre/Human).

Order of importance(IMO) is Fashion > Regen > FSI. Regen is so clutch on a class that struggles with self healing, and it translates to more than just solo. Any type of small man stuff where heals may be lacking regen goes even further. FSI is not what it used to be since they fixed how often bash = stun.

If your main desire is to join full groups/raid then roll a pally IMO. SKs thrive in the smaller more niche stuff.
Old 08-29-2024, 06:27 PM
Planar Protector

I'd go erudite and and if you pick ogre you're a coward
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 08-29-2024, 10:56 PM
Kobold

I missed some of the middle pages.. the most important stat in this game is eyepatch so human wins by a large margin strictly speaking in terms of min/max.
Old 08-30-2024, 01:13 AM
Fire Giant

Eyepatch human is just overplayed. It will never not scream "tunnel bard" to me. In time you come to prefer the obscure ones and work their features into your role play.