Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 06-11-2024, 05:47 PM
Fire Giant

'Mitigation' is one of those words which without context may seem like it means any method of reducing damage taken, but in the context of EQ, specifically EQ tank classes, it exclusively means the various skills and stats which influence for how much damage a mob hits you. Not even whether a mob hits you--that's avoidance. Warriors have the best mitigation. Monks have the best avoidance. Knights can get super beefy too and a knight can tank stuff like KT, flurries, but only by brute forcing it through gear. Mobs like Tunare and Vulak are able to kill even a BiS warrior with a 7k damage spike in under a second in p99. A knight doesn't stand a chance, but they're good at other things.

I personally wouldn't invite any tank class to a group in late velious. I would invite a monk. In classic, I could see myself inviting a knight tank because everyone's gear sucks and they have a bunch of survivability. It wouldn't be a good group, though, especially since classic had the hybrid XP penalties.
Last edited by fortior; 06-11-2024 at 05:51 PM..
Old 06-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivitron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure if you made this post knowing that SKs are arguably the least favored velious raid class under the current rule set and metas, if so *sensible chuckle*, if not, consider this fair warning.
Given the length of time Green spent in classic, I would definitely still make a knight class even knowing that they’re eventually overshadowed for raid content, even if I were a hardcore raider. To me, making class decisions based on how viable you will eventually be years down the line is weird. Many people will put the game down for months / years due to burnout and boredom long before expansions even release.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:30 PM
Fire Giant

imagine rolling a knight

lol
Old 06-13-2024, 07:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
imagine rolling a knight

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Old 06-13-2024, 09:06 AM
Planar Protector

There are a lot of situations where a sizable HP pool and an aggro lock are a luxury if playing a cleric.

I wouldn’t turn away or invite a player simply based on class, especially if it’s a weird person. That said, depending on how poorly geared a warrior is and how poorly played the dps are you might have to do a lot of unnecessary spot healing or leg clicking instead of just focusing on the one or two teammates.

But…for the thousandth time, this game isn’t difficult in 2024. If you need any particular class that bad for a normal grind situation, it’s probably a “you problem”. Try getting good, it solves a lot of life’s problems.
Old 06-13-2024, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are a lot of situations where a sizable HP pool and an aggro lock are a luxury if playing a cleric.

I wouldn’t turn away or invite a player simply based on class, especially if it’s a weird person. That said, depending on how poorly geared a warrior is and how poorly played the dps are you might have to do a lot of unnecessary spot healing or leg clicking instead of just focusing on the one or two teammates.

But…for the thousandth time, this game isn’t difficult in 2024. If you need any particular class that bad for a normal grind situation, it’s probably a “you problem”. Try getting good, it solves a lot of life’s problems.
I've found doing all the wrong things produce much more engaging and memorable gameplay. Everyone has their twink gear, pocket clerics, etc now. No errors are catastrophic. Keep things fun and you'll be remembered and get invites.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 06-14-2024, 12:31 AM
Fire Giant

yeah ill always remember those knights doing less dps than a 46 rogue, invites a comin

also lol
Old 06-14-2024, 04:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah ill always remember those knights doing less dps than a 46 rogue, invites a comin

also lol
the lower the dps the more time you get to spend hanging out with your pals having a good ol time!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 06-14-2024, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the lower the dps the more time you get to spend hanging out with your pals having a good ol time!
Luckily DPS thresholds are not that high on P99 for most content, and most people on P99 are using gear that is much better than what most content was balanced around.

The average level 30 P99 Knight is probably doing more DPS than a level 30 Warrior in level appropriate gear, something like Crafted Armor and Minotaur Axes.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

also lol
I’ll always remember the slack jaw rogue with a Tunare dagger my pally beat on the last Tunare parse because backing up on the tank swap was too complex.

This thread continues to be stupid. Now aggro tanks and squishy dps are being compared. I hope someone brings up enchanters just for sake of further nuking any attempt of a rational discussion.
Last edited by Snaggles; 06-15-2024 at 08:25 AM..