Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 09:37 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
CR is free even though the person needing a port was almost certainly bound near a bank, but noobs can't get a port?

And you're taking a moral high ground on the "in my day we had to walk up hill both ways" thing? Lol.

And your time is too valuable to type for 1.5 seconds to do a who while you're just sitting around medding or waiting on auctions or watching dots tick?

Wtf man? Even I'm (usually) less of a prick than you are.
I'm not out here saying no to people or charging anyone, this is the mind of a porter. Go to RNF and waste your life over there
Old 01-03-2020, 09:49 PM
Planar Protector

A QUADRUPLE reply? You sure we aren't in rnf?
Old 01-03-2020, 10:13 PM
Kobold

1. Simply not true. If you're low level and need a port it's in your best interest to ask for one as travel is dangerous. If you are a porter you get paid enough to help out lowbies too.

2. A good donation is what someone can best afford, even if that number is not always 'best' for the porter. Everyone you help out raises your reputation. Your tips are dependent on your reputation plus your level of service. More on this later.

3. While not a bad point where you're coming from is. As a porter it's your job to provide a service. Being friendly and asking someone where they are headed and where from is part of the customers experience. Being friendly here gets you better tips.

4/5. If you're not willing to travel you're shooting your potential profits in the foot. Not only in time lost waiting for people to run to you without a sow. But again porting is a service. If the customer doesn't get extra cheese and peppers packets they will not tip as much.

Bottom line is if you need a port ask someone will help you even if you're flat broke. A tip is as always what one can afford/feels like is deserved. Make the experience fast and easy and your tips will be good. And more than make up for the others who are not as generous. If you have time to write this up you have time to travel, /who, and be polite. I feel this is all common sense and anyone who knows it feels good to help other people out understand all this already...
Old 01-03-2020, 10:18 PM
Fire Giant

Back in the day on Blue I used to provide in flight snacks and entertainment, and even did a pickup in PoF once. Price was always whatever people felt like paying. Got burned a few times, added those people to a "Do Not Port" list and moved on. Also received more than my fair share of extremely generous donations and/or items for compensation. Reputation plays a fairly large role, and even being a part of DaP I had several dozen regulars who'd seek me out specifically. I think you may find yourself richer in the long run adopting a similar strategy above. But, they're your ports, you make the call.
Bhear Ghrillz - Level 51 Druid - Dial A Port | Oggre - Level 44 Warrior | Revenance Vampirus - Level 40 Necromancer | Mottley Crue - Level 30 Rogue | Renovatio - Level 3 Cleric | Abradolf Lincler - Level 40 Cleric | Drowning - Level 35 Enchanter | Oradan Omnipotent - Level 57 Magician | Chubbz Zilla - Level 40 Monk - Scaled Brotherhood
Old 01-03-2020, 10:19 PM
Fire Giant

OP what is your name so that players new and old will know who to avoid.
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozkyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
business minded porters
Found the problem here
Kobold

5 gold per lvl

10pp minimum

That's pretty much the standard
Old 01-03-2020, 10:21 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. Simply not true. If you're low level and need a port it's in your best interest to ask for one as travel is dangerous. If you are a porter you get paid enough to help out lowbies too.

2. A good donation is what someone can best afford, even if that number is not always 'best' for the porter. Everyone you help out raises your reputation. Your tips are dependent on your reputation plus your level of service. More on this later.

3. While not a bad point where you're coming from is. As a porter it's your job to provide a service. Being friendly and asking someone where they are headed and where from is part of the customers experience. Being friendly here gets you better tips.

4/5. If you're not willing to travel you're shooting your potential profits in the foot. Not only in time lost waiting for people to run to you without a sow. But again porting is a service. If the customer doesn't get extra cheese and peppers packets they will not tip as much.

Bottom line is if you need a port ask someone will help you even if you're flat broke. A tip is as always what one can afford/feels like is deserved. Make the experience fast and easy and your tips will be good. And more than make up for the others who are not as generous. If you have time to write this up you have time to travel, /who, and be polite. I feel this is all common sense and anyone who knows it feels good to help other people out understand all this already...
This is good info. I come off as an asshole but this is how i really operate bc of good business practices, but felt like things needed to be aired out. Thank you for your feedback!
Old 01-03-2020, 10:24 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Also not trying to fan these flames but if your server has no DAP'ers there is probably an issue with some of my main points
Old 01-03-2020, 10:32 PM
Kobold

Dear server: not all porters are so uptight. Don’t let this intimidate you from asking for ports. I am flexible on donations and protocol and enjoy helping people travel.
Closed Thread