Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

Jibartik, no amount of trash and misrepresentation that you post will ever make you correct. You are 100% wrong about how classic EQ operated and hopefully at some point you will stop being ignorant and come to terms with the facts. LOL @ thinking that sitting around doing nothing but staring at a spawn point by yourself in a game is "playing like an adult". The term you meant to use was "like a vegetable".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisrak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I also immediately see several issues with this policy, for example:

- Person A desperately wants this item and proceeds to camp it for 12 hours strait with no luck. At this point, person B pops up and says "oh, I'll take next kill, why not!" Item drops and person B gets it (or charges person A an obscene price for loot rights). Person A then /q's forever.

- Person A makes a killer group and finds an open, difficult camp. They fight their way down and perform the difficult break. Random pickup group says "oh, let's get in on this" and come down and mooch off the spawn.
- In the first example if person A is camping something and nobody else is there, then the next spawn belongs to them. Person B would not get their chance until after the spawn that person A kills (unless person A went AFK for too long, same as now). It's always possible that someone gets lucky and the item drops on their first try; that's simply the game.

- In the second example, that's an example of community policing coming into play. If the group who broke the camp thinks the other group is being scummy, then they are free to tell everyone else about it, and the people in that other group may take a reputation hit. This naturally lowers the chance that a whole other group will do such a thing, instead of finding their own camp. The other thing to consider is how people want to do something that's worth their time. It's unlikely that a camp like this would suddenly be open and "worth" camping by 2 separate groups. The reality is that all of the highest value camps in the game are going to be perma-camped.
Last edited by Zuranthium; 08-06-2019 at 04:15 PM..
Old 08-06-2019, 04:18 PM
Planar Protector

I am not even arguing how classic eq operated, not even once in this thread lol

proof this guy is trolling folks.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-06-2019, 04:34 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
- In the first example if person A is camping something and nobody else is there, then the next spawn belongs to them. Person B would not get their chance until after the spawn that person A kills (unless person A went AFK for too long, same as now). It's always possible that someone gets lucky and the item drops on their first try; that's simply the game.
This could make for some very angry people, especially the more hardcore players. I think "that's simply the game" isn't a very good answer, because it can be used to justify anything, including things like 2 people monopolizing a camp for a month strait in the current situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
- In the second example, that's an example of community policing coming into play. If the group who broke the camp thinks the other group is being scummy, then they are free to tell everyone else about it, and the people in that other group may take a reputation hit. This naturally lowers the chance that a whole other group will do such a thing, instead of finding their own camp. The other thing to consider is how people want to do something that's worth their time. It's unlikely that a camp like this would suddenly be open and "worth" camping by 2 separate groups. The reality is that all of the highest value camps in the game are going to be perma-camped.
One thing I've learned from Blue is that there are tons of people who care a hell of a lot more about pixels than they do their reputation. Also, my point isn't that all of sudden 2 groups want the camp. It's that the 2nd group is a bunch of scrubs who could never have broken the camp, but can come in, mooch off the hard work of group A, and get half the xp and loot from the camp, screwing over group A. Think, for example, about how this policy would play out for fungi camp in seb...
Old 08-06-2019, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisrak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This could make for some very angry people, especially the more hardcore players. I think "that's simply the game" isn't a very good answer, because it can be used to justify anything, including things like 2 people monopolizing a camp for a month strait in the current situation.
Your last sentence is not true, because 2 people monopolizing a camp is not Classic EQ. That's not "simply the game". It's a p99 fabrication.

As for the first sentence, there are countless things in Classic EQ that can frustrate people, but it's irrelevant. The very fact that extremely boring camps exist in the game is frustrating, but we are only talking only about the Classic EQ code here, not how we would ideally design the game.

"Hardcore" (aka no life) players getting angry is far less of a concern than the entire server being worse off, as a result of their greed and tunnel vision. The classic EQ PnP is much better for the game than the p99 PnP. More to the point, the classic EQ PnP is the classic EQ PnP. So it doesn't really matter what it is, only that it is replicated, if p99 is supposedly trying to recreate the code as closely as possible.

Quote:
One thing I've learned from Blue is that there are tons of people who care a hell of a lot more about pixels than they do their reputation. Also, my point isn't that all of sudden 2 groups want the camp. It's that the 2nd group is a bunch of scrubs who could never have broken the camp, but can come in, mooch off the hard work of group A, and get half the xp and loot from the camp, screwing over group A. Think, for example, about how this policy would play out for fungi camp in seb...
I know what your point was, but you're missing the bigger picture. Certain people caring more about pixels than rep is their own choice. That's part of the MMORPG experience. People are supposed to be able to make decisions in their gameplay, and other players can judge them as they see fit.

Like I talked about above, what's worse - the other group being able to share the camp, or a few singular players being able to permanently own a camp, and thus warp the entire economy of the server and the opportunities everyone else gets?

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am not even arguing how classic eq operated, not even once in this thread lol
Yes you are, this is exactly what you wrote earlier in the thread: "I don't understand how the PnP is not classic."

Your further responses in the thread have either been iterations of that, or sad attempts at trying to make it sound like the factual EQ classic timeline and policies are *my* personal opinion only.

If you don't understand something, then maybe you should shut up and learn more about it? Your continued attempts at contorting the facts, and what I'm saying, is doing nothing but wasting space in the thread.
Last edited by Zuranthium; 08-06-2019 at 05:23 PM..
Old 08-06-2019, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
"I don't understand how the PnP is not classic."
No this is me saying that what you think is classic is the same as someone else saying: "BeCaUsE I kNoW lOwEr gUk eXisTs, iTs iS tHerForE imMpoSsiBlE foR a cLaDsiC EvErQuEst sErvEr tO eXisT"

Like, I was more like "I don't understand your crazy ravings, they don't seem to make any sense and I cant possibly imagine how someone would think that the PnP is what makes or breaks an everquest classic server"

not saying "the current PNP is classic"

In fact I would go so far as to say, the PNP is so far from what makes this game classic or not, that you're just flat out crazy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] None of what you are talking about is or isnt classic.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:45 PM
Planar Protector

Zuranthium, I think I speak for everyone here when I say:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No this is me saying that what you think is classic is the same as someone else saying: "Because I know lower guk exists, it is therefore impossible for a classic Everquest server to exist"
That comparison is nonsensical and misrepresentative of what is being said. First of all, it's not what I *think* is Classic. It's what factually WAS Classic.

There's much to debate about how a game could best recreate (and improve upon) "the classic EQ experience", but speaking in terms of a server that mainly just tries to replicate the game code, if the Short Sword of the Ykesha didn't drop in Lower Guk, that would factually be "not classic". The PnP is no different.

Quote:
Like, I was more like "I don't understand your crazy ravings, they don't seem to make any sense and I cant possibly imagine how someone would think that the PnP is what makes or breaks an everquest classic server"
Again, if you don't understand something, then you should learn more, instead of having nothing but knee-jerk reactions and ignorantly deciding to label something as "crazy raving".

Allowing competition for content, as classic EQ actually existed during its first year, makes a massive difference in how the game plays. Having the classic PnP vs the p99 PnP also makes a significant difference in how the server plays.

Minor quests that virtually nobody cares about, or the exact capitalization of an NPC's name, are things that the p99 devs have fixed in the code in order to make the game more classic. If you are incapable of understanding why the PnP is a much bigger deal, then please, stop posting.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:45 PM
Kobold

I've quit work, moved into mom's basement, and I'm stockpiling Code Red.

See you at the server firsts.
@EndorraFeyborne Discord
Old 08-07-2019, 12:55 AM
Planar Protector

Zuranthium... you know you can argue this until the cows come home. You could convince 100% of the players you are correct. It still wouldn't mean shit. It only matters what Nilbog and Rogean think/want. It would be a better use of your time to make your case to them, privately, rather than here publicly to literally everyone whose opinion means absolutely zilch.

But I'm willing to bet you will ignore this good-hearted advice to continue your crusade against your adversaries... which would prove you a troll.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 08-07-2019, 01:34 AM
Planar Protector

Nilbog and Rogean are capable of reading the forums. It's not trolling to have a detailed discussion; that's exactly what a forum is for. The backwards mentality in this thread is quite something.