Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 02:12 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default I just finished and published my first game!

Pretty exciting stuff considering I've been modding games and making content for the past 17 years of my life.

The site is here if anyone wants to check it out. If you really want to try it out and don't want to buy it just PM me and I'll call you a tester and give you a key to get it.

I just want to generate traffic to its site so it trends toward the popular lists [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] It's a throwback to "Lemmings" which I think is probably familiar to most of us older gamers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ck0AoJUxuM

https://burgee.itch.io/lemmy-the-wizard
Old 07-24-2016, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

This would have been game of the year in the late 70s.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:27 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

https://burgee.itch.io/lemmy-the-wizard-demo free demo dogs!
Old 07-25-2016, 12:39 AM
Banned

yikes
Old 07-25-2016, 12:56 AM
Banned

please throw this game, and yourself, into the garbage

thank you
Old 07-25-2016, 01:08 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokesan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
please throw this game, and yourself, into the garbage

thank you
Care to elaborate on your feelings?
Old 07-25-2016, 01:27 AM
VIP / Contributor

Not bad at all for your first game attempt; I'd recommend continuing other projects once it is completed (if it's something that makes you happy - DON'T ever get roped into this for a living if it's something you aren't passionate about). You'll want to try and make other games and learn from your feedback. Being in game development as a programmer now, I can't offer much from the design perspective, but...
Unfortunately, in the AAA games world, designers are underpaid and short of creating a hit product in the past and bringing that talent to another studio, you probably won't find work short of working for yourself. So if you REALLY want to design your own games, you're gonna have to do everything. Here's some tips:

The game needs to be object-oriented. You appear to be using yoyogames.com's GameMaker software. I am not familiar with this program however I can tell that it's meant to be transparent to the end user using the product. This severely limits your potential for object-oriented programming. An engine like Unity will teach you the basics of OOP and inheritance via C-style languages so you can eventually transfer your work into the 3D or 2D-in-3D worldspace and beyond.

Imagine if you could have a base player object, but instead of equipping it with weapons that you drag and drop and cannot change the functionality of, each weapon would be another class object that you'd attach to the base object itself in some way (in laymans terms).

This is all possible in Unity's Gameobject and UE4's Blueprints. It is better to learn those concepts early and not getting spoiled by someone doing all of that work for you.

I recommend reading up on Unity and abandoning the engine you are using now. It will teach you more in the long run. Even if you use Unity's asset store, it will teach you more about programming than any other game engine while still retaining the 'fun factor' of indie design principles.

If I was making a new 2D Game, Unity is primed to spoil you without forcing you to take shortcuts due to technical limitations. If you want to delve into the rendering engine, though, you should definitely use Unreal 4 instead.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 07-25-2016, 01:32 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not bad at all for your first game attempt; I'd recommend continuing other projects once it is completed (if it's something that makes you happy - DON'T ever get roped into this for a living if it's something you aren't passionate about). You'll want to try and make other games and learn from your feedback. Being in game development as a programmer now, I can't offer much from the design perspective, but...
Unfortunately, in the AAA games world, designers are underpaid and short of creating a hit product in the past and bringing that talent to another studio, you probably won't find work short of working for yourself. So if you REALLY want to design your own games, you're gonna have to do everything. Here's some tips:

The game needs to be object-oriented. You appear to be using yoyogames.com's GameMaker software. I am not familiar with this program however I can tell that it's meant to be transparent to the end user using the product. This severely limits your potential for object-oriented programming. An engine like Unity will teach you the basics of OOP and inheritance via C-style languages so you can eventually transfer your work into the 3D or 2D-in-3D worldspace and beyond.

Imagine if you could have a base player object, but instead of equipping it with weapons that you drag and drop and cannot change the functionality of, each weapon would be another class object that you'd attach to the base object itself in some way (in laymans terms).

This is all possible in Unity's Gameobject and UE4's Blueprints. It is better to learn those concepts early and not getting spoiled by someone doing all of that work for you.

I recommend reading up on Unity and abandoning the engine you are using now. It will teach you more in the long run. Even if you use Unity's asset store, it will teach you more about programming than any other game engine while still retaining the 'fun factor' of indie design principles.

If I was making a new 2D Game, Unity is primed to spoil you without forcing you to take shortcuts due to technical limitations. If you want to delve into the rendering engine, though, you should definitely use Unreal 4 instead.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

Hey, thanks for checking it out and thanks for all that!

I'm new-ish to programming, self taught in everything. A little C++, javascript, etc.

Gamemaker touts itself as being object oriented, and its language is based on C++ very heavily. My amateurish work probably doesn't show that off, though. Each object in game has it's own lines of code that reference eachother when necessary as well as global functions running the show. I had to program all of the collision detection, movement, etc myself.

Unity was actually next on my list to learn. I have a friend who's pushing it on me heavily, and it's nice to hear from a second source that it's worthwhile. It's actually already installed on my desktop!

This is the first project I've ever finished, so I've gained a ton of confidence and motivation to move onto the next thing.

Your comment is really appreciated, thank you!
Last edited by ludovician; 07-25-2016 at 01:37 AM..
Old 07-25-2016, 01:37 AM
Planar Protector

I went to school with game design in mind and took 2 years of computer programming. Never did manage to break away and pursue that dream.

Good on ya. Don't be discouraged even if people clown on your early work.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:41 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Flair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I went to school with game design in mind and took 2 years of computer programming. Never did manage to break away and pursue that dream.

Good on ya. Don't be discouraged even if people clown on your early work.
Thanks man, I'm not expecting to make a living at it, but it's a nice alternative hobby to gaming which doesn't fit into my schedule as much as I'd like it to. If you still have the itch check out gamemaker or rpgmaker or anything, and hit me up if you want help starting

With making stuff, you can sit down for 5 hours and go hard or 5 minutes and still accomplish something.

My now-wife doesn't and future kids won't really respond well to "hang on, this game doesn't pause!" So this is the new hobby [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread