Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloroform [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I sometimes roleplay, never once did a GM get involved.. less immersion maybe..
Did you roleplay a beaten and broken guildleader? You doing that pretty well lately.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

On the topic of discrimination, perceived or actual, that is what communities are for. We find others who are like us and seek to destroy those who are not. This is a universal truth.

It is important to note however that "like us" is not universally understood in the same fashion. I for example place little emphasis on pigmentation beyond socio-economic indicators in determining who is like me. Accordingly I do not identify with racist ideology. It is nonsensical and downright nasty to actively detest someone for something beyond their control.

On the other hand, I don't particularly like fat people. Beyond the behavioral implications of fatness (impaired self control, disregard for others, etc.) to me fat people are unattractive. I don't hate them for how they look, but I don't like them for it either. It is the behavioral connotations of their fatness that actively diminishes my respect for them as fellow human beings.

As a community if we feel this fellow (the OP) does not conform to our standards then it is incumbent upon us to drive him away, but let us not dress our own intolerance in a guise of distaste for the same.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On the other hand, I don't particularly like fat people. Beyond the behavioral implications of fatness (impaired self control, disregard for others, etc.) to me fat people are unattractive. I don't hate them for how they look, but I don't like them for it either. It is the behavioral connotations of their fatness that actively diminishes my respect for them as fellow human beings.
this equating of fatness with immorality, and thus (unconsciously) non-fatness with morality, is why ppl like jared fogle can get away with molesting underage girls for so long

fyi
Old 08-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by thufir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this equating of fatness with immorality, and thus (unconsciously) non-fatness with morality, is why ppl like jared fogle can get away with molesting underage girls for so long

fyi
I was unaware morality was such a binary paradigm. Even if we were to accept the premise of your implied proposition that "all people who are fat are immoral, therefore all people who are not fat are moral" as true, the argument is not sound because the premise does not speak to immorality of people who are not fat. The conclusion therefore cannot be assured.

The problem is one of faulty logic, not notions of morality.

On a side note I think it is absurd to argue being fat is immoral. Inconsiderate? I tend to think so, but immoral? No.
Closed Thread