Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Planar Protector

Dmg bonus gives it an edge over better ratios. It's not a bad ratio weapon either. Earthcaller is 14/24 primary only. The proc is only 3 dps and you really shouldn't factor in proc damage when evaluating weapons. The ratios and delays give you an idea of how it'll perform all the time. And you absolutely should not factor weapon stats into weapon evaluation either. Having an idea what hand a weapon goes into helps as well. Click my spread sheet earlier in the thread for proof.

Offhands you want pure ratio. The only thing that matters in determining one weapon over another.
Primaries are a little more difficult, because you have to factor in dmg bonus at higher levels. You want a mix of high ratio and low delay.

And you also have to be aware of your situation. If you're fighting a bunch of mobs at once and an enchanter is mezzing around you, the Fayguard is the best possible weapon to kill that enchanter. Razor Fang works in any situation, so it's probably the best overall. Not the highest DPS though.
Last edited by Cecily; 10-04-2014 at 07:35 AM..
Old 10-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dmg bonus gives it an edge over better ratios. It's not a bad ratio weapon either. Earthcaller is 14/24 primary only. The proc is only 3 dps and you really shouldn't factor in proc damage when evaluating weapons. The ratios and delays give you an idea of how it'll perform all the time. And you absolutely should not factor weapon stats into weapon evaluation either. Having an idea what hand a weapon goes into helps as well. Click my spread sheet earlier in the thread for proof.

Offhands you want pure ratio. The only thing that matters in determining one weapon over another.
Primaries are a little more difficult, because you have to factor in dmg bonus at higher levels. You want a mix of high ratio and low delay.

And you also have to be aware of your situation. If you're fighting a bunch of mobs at once and an enchanter is mezzing around you, the Fayguard is the best possible weapon to kill that enchanter. Razor Fang works in any situation, so it's probably the best overall. Not the highest DPS though.
Ah apologies I mixed the weapons up, I still don't see how the 9/17 beats out the earthcaller though, even disregarding the strength (your assumption is that you'd have max strength in circumstances where it matters?).

I just pointed this out in the thread about monk weapons and what to main-hand / offhand.

Rangers can attain 255 strength and 240 skill in both piercing and slashing right? Unless the equation posted on the wiki for how to calculate max damage is incorrect, not taking into account your modifier toward the weapon is an error. The spread sheet's dps calculation assumes that the modifier for a weapon is always 2, but according to the Wiki with 255 strength and 240 skill the modifier would be 4.2.

Mod = (Skill + Strength - 75) / 100

(((4.2 * 9) + 11) / 17) = 2.87 rating
(((4.2 * 14) + 11) / 24) = 2.91 rating

Even at 200 strength, which would be a modifier of 3.65, the Earthcaller is 2.59 to 9/17's 2.58.

Weapons that have a high ratio and hit slower will naturally rely on the weapon damage bonus less and your strength modifier more, which should theoretically give them favor as strength increases over time given that the weapon damage bonus does not scale and your strength modifier does.

At max strength / skill the 9/17 weapon's max damage is around 77/23, 77% of it's own damage, 23% weapon bonus damage.

The 14/24 Earthcaller is around 85/15 ~ 84/16, which more heavily favors a larger strength pool. The threshold at which Earthcaller begins to overtake the 9/17 dagger is 187 strength (assuming max weapon skill).

The calculations on the spreadsheet are identical to mine except for the part about the mod increasing with your strength and weapon skill. Or on project1999 is it actually always just 2? But that wouldn't make sense since strength does positively increase your damage.
Last edited by Kich867; 10-04-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Old 10-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Banned

daywolf always postin some false bs foreal dude learn your eq moar
Old 10-04-2014, 01:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffin 7.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
daywolf always postin some false bs foreal dude learn your eq moar
Ah so maybe it's just misinformation?

I'd agree that the above calculation I used isn't perfect. Realistically, it can't be. Testing on the beta server shows that with 219 strength the swiftwind can hit for in the mid-60's and the earthcaller's highest max hit I've seen is 81, which is way higher than what the wiki's damage calculation suggests. There's something else it's missing.

Would the dev's here disclose the weapon damage calculation?
Last edited by Kich867; 10-04-2014 at 02:32 PM..
Old 10-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

Hmm that's interesting. Yeah, if I'm wrong and Earthcaller turns out of be a better weapon than I thought due to STR dmg, I'm pretty happy about that. It's what I use 95% of the time.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Planar Protector

You have a couple different decent delay weaps. Zlandi claw,Tsiraka's claws, willsapper, couple no drops from Dn, frostbite. But for most these you gona need a solid group or 2 to even attempt this.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Orc

Just finished swiftwind the other day so I've been testing it out with other weapons. The HS dagger (9/17) is only slightly less dps than the earthcaller when paired with the swiftwind.

The one thing that I notice is the HS dagger is more consistent dps, in other words the range on the avg is small compared to the range on the earthcaller avg dps. Killing in KC today I noticed would get avg of 50-55 dps on the HS dagger, earthcaller would range 45-65 dps. This was with shaman buffs most of the time, but selfbuffed my str is around 215.

Another aspect of the fights and the consistency of the faster mainhand weap is that these fights wouldn't last more than a min. On some of the mobs like the dog WL who has over 10k hp, the earthcaller was doing 55-60 dps I'd say. Those longer fights would make the window range a bit smaller.

Would be interested to see anyone else's findings, at the very least we get less agro with the HS dagger since you're not slowing mobs
Old 10-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartaniun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just finished swiftwind the other day so I've been testing it out with other weapons. The HS dagger (9/17) is only slightly less dps than the earthcaller when paired with the swiftwind.

The one thing that I notice is the HS dagger is more consistent dps, in other words the range on the avg is small compared to the range on the earthcaller avg dps. Killing in KC today I noticed would get avg of 50-55 dps on the HS dagger, earthcaller would range 45-65 dps. This was with shaman buffs most of the time, but selfbuffed my str is around 215.

Another aspect of the fights and the consistency of the faster mainhand weap is that these fights wouldn't last more than a min. On some of the mobs like the dog WL who has over 10k hp, the earthcaller was doing 55-60 dps I'd say. Those longer fights would make the window range a bit smaller.

Would be interested to see anyone else's findings, at the very least we get less agro with the HS dagger since you're not slowing mobs
I don't exactly understand the EQ math behind auto-attacks, but I'm a little suspect towards thinking that the dagger has better average dps. It's possible that over short fights this can happen simply due to getting more hits in with better rolls (RNG), but it's not like the Earthcaller is particularly slow and it's average hit will be higher by a decent amount.

It's not exactly scientific yet, but I found when dropping my STR to about 105, then raising it up towards 220 (soon maxing it when I get a shaman over to assist in testing on beta), that my damage moves up about 10 damage on average per hit. At first, I thought this wasn't that significant. But then I thought about it and like, you hit pretty damn fast, an extra ~10 damage on average per hit is actually kind of a big deal. It's not like WoW where you hit for hundreds of thousands of damage a swing haha.
Closed Thread