Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 03:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by forensic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
#11. Play videogames that are meant for and primarily marketed to kids. Then tell the kids playing those videogames to "grow up" and "act like an adult" while they play their kiddie games.

Expecting people to act like an adult in a videogame is the biggest fucking contradiction in terms ever. Games are meant to be a time when you either are a kid who is BEING a kid, or for adults, a chance to ACT like a kid.

Here's my theory: people who tell other people to act like adults in videogames, themselves act like kids in reality. I bet the people who tend to do this tend to be more unemployed, more immature, less responsible, and so on than average. They act like adults in videogames because they don't know what it's like to do that IRL.

I have a place to act like an adult in... it's called every part of my life that isn't a videogame.
You're breaking rules 3, 5 and 6.
Last edited by Crawdad; 09-27-2014 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Im a jerk.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm currently getting my Masters in Clinical counseling for children, let me know of you want some help working things out.
So we know for sure that you enjoy breaking rule #4 in that list of rules you posted, huh? What does that say about your emotional maturity that you get insulting in a video game discussion forum?

You want to be a in a position of power over children, so you can throw around "act like an adult!" whenever they play or act in a way you don't morally approve of. Remind me to never let you near my kids.

So much for unconditional positive regard.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by forensic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So we know for sure that you enjoy breaking rule #4 in that list of rules you posted, huh? What does that say about your emotional maturity that you get insulting in a video game discussion forum?

You want to be a in a position of power over children, so you can throw around "act like an adult!" whenever they play or act in a way you don't morally approve of. Remind me to never let you near my kids.

So much for unconditional positive regard.
I apologize, that was a dickish thing to say. You seem far too invested in this adult v kid analogy, and a bit touchy on the insinuations of being a child, so I went for a cheap laugh.

You don't tell childen to act like an adult, by the way. You tell adults who are acting like children.
Last edited by Crawdad; 09-27-2014 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: Bloop.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're breaking rules 3, 5 and 6.
They aren't my rules. You're breaking rule 1, 2, 3, 4, and probably 10.

The difference is that... I don't acknowledge your rules. I'm not a hypocrite because I don't think your rules are how adults actually behave. I think your rules are sort of like what elementary school teachers tell to kids to control them--not for the benefit of the child.

You want to teach a child how to succeed in life? Teach them that adults, generally speaking, should never be trusted further than you can throw them. Especially in MMOs :P
Old 09-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
They aren't my rules. You're breaking rule 1, 2, 3, 4, and probably 10.

The difference is that... I don't acknowledge your rules. I'm not a hypocrite because I don't think your rules are how adults actually behave. I think your rules are sort of like what elementary school teachers tell to kids to control them--not for the benefit of the child.

You want to teach a child how to succeed in life? Teach them that adults, generally speaking, should never be trusted further than you can throw them. Especially in MMOs :P
Kids are usually pretty understanding of the way the world Really is, especially the ones with problems. Adults have a hard time remembering how to treat one another when things don't go their way or a slight is perceived, doubly so when they feel entitled. I do agree with you there.

Its debatable that's how to be an adult... I have problems with 9 and 10. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to emulate them, especially in this little ~1,200 population world of ours.

Edit: I don't think there's a way to show children the depths of pixel-lust depravity short of a Reefer Maddness redux.
Last edited by Crawdad; 09-27-2014 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: bleep.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Kids are usually pretty understanding of the way the world Really is, especially the ones with problems. Adults have a hard time remembering how to treat one another when things don't go their way or a slight is perceived, doubly so when they feel entitled. I do agree with you there.

Its debatable that's how to be an adult... I have problems with 9 and 10. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to emulate them, especially in this little ~1,200 population world of ours.

Edit: I don't think there's a way to show children the depths of pixel-lust depravity short of a Reefer Maddness redux.
Here's your child psychology for you.

I played this game when I was 13 and it was so much fun... until Shining Force or The Mystical Order would show up with their twinks and rule fuck you out of some minor mid level thing you wanted.

The way that The Mystical Order on Fennin Ro would rule fuck my naive 13 year old person left a deep impression on my childish mind.

I learned that life is not fair. I learned that power in EverQuest flows from the command prompt of the GMs, and that access to that power is achieved with the skills of the enchanter: charm, illusion, cajoling /whispers (ok fine, /w is from wow).

I realized that True Power in EQ comes from understanding the GMs, and this started my innocent 13 year old self on an ever Quest to become the world's greatest Enchanter.

I went to one of the best universities in the world where I majored in psychology. I read all the books written by Freud, Adler, Horney (pronounced Horneye), and even the shitty psychologists in the CBT tradition who permeate the field of child psychology. I learned that Piaget is so overrated, as are Kohlberg and Erickson--the two moralizers who just echo western blindspots. I learned that people hate Freud because he's just so right about them, and that to volunteer to be a GM in a videogame you have to be a special kind of person.

Today, I am Forensic, the Forensic Psychologist, and now I have all the skills and knowledge needed to return to Classic EQ and beat The Mystical Order on Fennin Ro at their own game. I'm back and my enchanter is Level 22. Here to settle my score. Watch out!
Last edited by forensic; 09-27-2014 at 03:39 PM..
Old 09-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Sarnak

Forensic, you win the award for douchiest troll of the month. Which is not easy to do here. Well done, you're a winner.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Forensic, you win the award for douchiest troll of the month. Which is not easy to do here. Well done, you're a winner.
TMO sockpuppet already running scared ^^
Old 09-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
#11. Play videogames that are meant for and primarily marketed to kids. Then tell the kids playing those videogames to "grow up" and "act like an adult" while they play their kiddie games.

Expecting people to act like an adult in a videogame is the biggest fucking contradiction in terms ever. Games are meant to be a time when you either are a kid who is BEING a kid, or for adults, a chance to ACT like a kid.

Here's my theory: people who tell other people to act like adults in videogames, themselves act like kids in reality. I bet the people who tend to do this tend to be more unemployed, more immature, less responsible, and so on than average. They act like adults in videogames because they don't know what it's like to do that IRL.

I have a place to act like an adult in... it's called every part of my life that isn't a videogame.
Being a game is no excuse. See how many want to continue playing with you if you don't act mature while playing a game.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:58 PM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone

This did actually happen, no Meltan did not get a ring.

Yes, it's easy to check encounter logs. Who was camping the mobs prior makes no difference in an "FFA" camp like SRO AC.
Closed Thread