Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Long list of things needed to make teams work
Thats why i think unless the staff has alot of time to put in a teams server, it wont work. Requires 10 times the dedication that a FFA server needs, and although im happy with the state the servers in, it wasnt always like this and it might be because Roge and co just didnt have the time to dedicate to it.

So if they aint got time for teams, alot more time than you need to make a FFA server work, i wouldnt bother because it will fuck up reds population only to make a server that wont last a year if it isnt heavily babysitted and monitored for balance.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Teams development will resume after Velious release. Nilbog recently confirmed item loot is in for teams.
Item loot is the shiznit..
Old 05-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Orc

So it's going to be a new server or the same server?
Old 05-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesonred [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thats why i think unless the staff has alot of time to put in a teams server, it wont work. Requires 10 times the dedication that a FFA server needs, and although im happy with the state the servers in, it wasnt always like this and it might be because Roge and co just didnt have the time to dedicate to it.

So if they aint got time for teams, alot more time than you need to make a FFA server work, i wouldnt bother because it will fuck up reds population only to make a server that wont last a year if it isnt heavily babysitted and monitored for balance.
Why ten times the dedication I don't get it.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:40 PM
Kobold

Teams won't happen, probably ever. If there is a teams server, they need to hard-code an autobalancing formula that will reward exp bonus based on population deficit, probably recalculated sometime between every week to every month (automatically). In other worlds, assume population between factions is 10/30/60. Then faction 1 would get some massive bonus (warning: arbitrary numbers) like 200% bonus exp, faction 2 would get something like 100% bonus exp, and faction 3 would get 0% bonus exp. Again, arbitrary numbers... but some sort of formula that would award exp bonus based on population deficit.

As we can extrapolate from the most recent patch on red, exp bonus absolutely (and directly) correlates to a higher population. I would expect a similar thing on a teams server, both with incentivising new players to roll on the underdog faction as well as encouraging players from the dominant faction(s) who are on the fence to reroll to an underdog/underrepresented team. In addition to this correlation between exp bonus and population growth, there is a natural power gain for a faction that is able to exp faster, since levels directly influence character strength and the ability of that character to further equip/defend itself.

The only problem with something like this, is that you would need a precise way of defining population within each faction. Do you want to take a weighted average of the levels of the active players during peak hours, or what is the best way to capture this value? After you have defined the "population" variable appropriately, you only need to come up with a formula to auto balance.

I personally dislike FFA pvp because in practice it is anything BUT free for all. It also has the inherent disadvantage of not having any (immediately obvious) ways of hard-coding in some sort of population balance mechanism. All that said, I played on SZ during live and that was the least balanced server I have ever played on ... and definitely still the most fun. Teams FTW!
Old 06-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Orc

/resurrect
Old 06-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why ten times the dedication I don't get it.
u haven't put that guy on ignore yet? also plz don't quote him or ur ignored next
Old 06-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Teams won't happen, probably ever. If there is a teams server, they need to hard-code an autobalancing formula that will reward exp bonus based on population deficit, probably recalculated sometime between every week to every month (automatically). In other worlds, assume population between factions is 10/30/60. Then faction 1 would get some massive bonus (warning: arbitrary numbers) like 200% bonus exp, faction 2 would get something like 100% bonus exp, and faction 3 would get 0% bonus exp. Again, arbitrary numbers... but some sort of formula that would award exp bonus based on population deficit.

As we can extrapolate from the most recent patch on red, exp bonus absolutely (and directly) correlates to a higher population. I would expect a similar thing on a teams server, both with incentivising new players to roll on the underdog faction as well as encouraging players from the dominant faction(s) who are on the fence to reroll to an underdog/underrepresented team. In addition to this correlation between exp bonus and population growth, there is a natural power gain for a faction that is able to exp faster, since levels directly influence character strength and the ability of that character to further equip/defend itself.

The only problem with something like this, is that you would need a precise way of defining population within each faction. Do you want to take a weighted average of the levels of the active players during peak hours, or what is the best way to capture this value? After you have defined the "population" variable appropriately, you only need to come up with a formula to auto balance.

I personally dislike FFA pvp because in practice it is anything BUT free for all. It also has the inherent disadvantage of not having any (immediately obvious) ways of hard-coding in some sort of population balance mechanism. All that said, I played on SZ during live and that was the least balanced server I have ever played on ... and definitely still the most fun. Teams FTW!
Would be nice to see percent based magic resist/run speed/hp buffs etc given to underpopulated side so there would be incentives for max lvl players to stick around.

Also some kind of anti-Zerg coding for mobs ( although I don't know how that would work)
Old 06-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Banned

Look how well all those custom boxes are doing compared to blue 99

Custom = shit
Old 06-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Planar Protector

Teams posts used to be all [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] now they all [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]