Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

Awesome thread OP.

I first experienced eq when I went over to a friends house. He played a bunch of Druids on the Cazic Thule server. I thought the open world concept was amazing and the fact that you could slowly build your empire by selling snakes eggs and skins captivated me.

Hearing the old midi music now brings back waves of memories. My characters and where I remember them dying out:

Newtman - totally gimped male human necromancer with all pts into strength. L15.
Tacktonia - (single) human female warrior L22.
Ugtacious Dirtydiapers - 47 male troll warrior.
Lemonspoon Spoonspoon - 65 male wood elf rogue. Last character I played on live.

Cheers to the good times!!

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 04-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekapaug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...I purchased the game and made my first toon in EverQuest. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Started as a human pally in Qeynos with some friends who had started the week before. One in beta. They wanted to start over with all of us together on one of the "new" servers that got added as the game gained steam population-wise. We started on Bertoxxulous on about the 3rd day the server was live. Walked out into the newbie area and saw people smacking bats and snakes with clubs and thought "This is the stupidest shit I've ever seen." LOL

Back then, you played a game for a month and went on to the next thing. Maybe 6 or 8 weeks if something was really good....Longer if moddable into something you would rather be playing...Or pretend to. There were a couple of turn based strategy games from the early 90s we played for a couple years off and on, but those were the hall of famers. A month for most games was the norm. If you told me on April 11, 1999 that I would still be playing this game in 15 years I would have thought you were insane.

Started the pally and got to level 8. Took a week or two. Fished for days on end for the money to buy a full set of storebought leather, an imported Minotaur Axe and a Greater Lightstone from a player. My friends heard of this land of milk and honey called Freeport. With orcs and dervs and aligators and exp that flowed like wine. So we spent a day or two researching the run across Antonica and went for it. Took a wrong turn in Highpass and I was the one that ate the gnoll train...Human night blindness was a major factor in that incident.

Corpse rotted because my friends couldn't find it. We didn't know, then, that you could just make a level 1 halfling rogue and hide/sneak around to drag. Took a break from the game for a few weeks due to RL. Came back made a mage that I played into the teens...Didnt care for it. Then made my first real main...A gnome wizzy. Played EQ like crazy that first year. Had, literally, 90 days /played when he hit his first birthday.

But as time went on, I missed that first toon. Kunark was annoying for playing the wiz. So around the first anniversary, I rerolled the pally as a SK...Reborn evil to reap revenge on those who abandoned him in highpass!....this is the extent of any roleplay I've ever done in any game, btw. lol Was my first twink. Full set of darkforge. Mithral 2 hander. Simply badass!

Eventually became a blacksmith during when the first cultural armor went in....Was the first character gamewide to make Bertoxxulous Plate Armor, as far as was known on EQ traders at the time. I used to keep a bag of the imbue spell scroll in the bank in the event I found a cleric that could scribe it. And would search high and low for Black Sapphires for sale, and players to imbue them...I think I located 2 actual bertoxx clerics on my server to help me. Failed several attempts before making the first piece...A collar. The stats were completely screwed up for the classes that could use it and they had to fix it in a patch. But I was ALL ABOUT this at the time. Being a dark knight of Bertoxx, and on the Bertoxx server, I was really proud of being the first.

Played as my main for years 'till about mid PoP when I switched to a rogue. I still play this toon live when I go back and play my box crew once a year or so.

/salute EQ! I'm 44 years old and have been gaming since I was 7 or 8. In a lifetime of gaming, I've loved a lot of games. Truly loved. But EverQuest is the one.

Rerolling that SK again today on p99 just to commemorate the day. Melyodas D'Illuria....Named after one of the heroes from one of the strategy games I played for years.

/salute P99! It's not said enough, but sincerest thanks to the folks who make this project happen. Thanks for indulging my nostalgia. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
90 days /played is pretty low for a character on its first birthday on this server. You generally have to put our 300 days played if you want to amount to anything.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
90 days /played is pretty low for a character on its first birthday on this server. You generally have to put our 300 days played if you want to amount to anything.
lol
Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Orc

I used to go to a friend's house and play with his family.

Even when he wasn't there.

Great post, OP. You done good.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm pretty sure the sever wasn't even up 300 days that first year. It sure seemed like it anyway.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Kobold

I got EQ before I got a computer that could run it. I played the tutorial at least 100 times. My first character was Soandso. Played from 2000-2006. What's funny is though I loved it, I never had much nostalgia for the early days. Didn't care for Kunark. Enjoyed Belious bit not much more. Luclin/PoP were my favorite expansions.

All my MMO nostalgia is for vanilla WoW. Best days of my gaming life, with EQ being a close second.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeriel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Luclin/PoP were my favorite expansions.
Dem words liable to get you stoned around these parts.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeriel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I got EQ before I got a computer that could run it. I played the tutorial at least 100 times. My first character was Soandso. Played from 2000-2006. What's funny is though I loved it, I never had much nostalgia for the early days. Didn't care for Kunark. Enjoyed Belious bit not much more. Luclin/PoP were my favorite expansions.

All my MMO nostalgia is for vanilla WoW. Best days of my gaming life, with EQ being a close second.
Early wow PvP > all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Early wow PvP > all.
Tauren Mill.

Once BG's came in, no ty.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scikala [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tauren Mill.

Once BG's came in, no ty.
Tarren Mill was a lot of fun but it did get boring after a few weeks of zerg seesaws.

Honestly, the BGs were a very impressive creation and amplified PvP. I don't understand why people hate them so much. Defined objectives made it more than just an insane melee/spamfest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Closed Thread