Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Large Bat

Default Monk/Rogue duo and aggro management?

Hi all!

I wasn't sure if I should post this in Server Chat or here, but considering both classes are melee, I figured I'd post here to get your thoughts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

A good friend of mine are thinking of starting up a few melee alts to consistently duo our way up when we aren't busy on mains. We've been toying with the odd combination of Monk/Rogue, with the idea that:

- Monk pulls/tanks
- Rogue backstabs/evades
- Both bind wound the monk up between fights

I can see it working on dark blues due to the killing efficiency of a twinked Monk/Rogue, focusing on a high amount of +HP on the monk to aid with BW/Mend between fights.

However, the one piece I'm still unsure of is aggro. Can a twinked Monk's DPS hold aggro over an evading twinked Rogue? We'd definitely want to drop the mob as fast as possible to lessen the amount of damage taken per fight, but we'd also want the Monk taking the hits [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Any thoughts and has anyone done this? Or are we simply crazy?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

My guess is: Yes, if the rogue isn't epic'd. Might have to practice a bit if the rogue starts stealing aggro consistently but you'll probably be alright.

Also, keep stocked up on sow pots (or get jboots) & you'll be able to fear kite duo with intimidate for a good number of levels.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 03-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Planar Protector

I also say yes. Especially once the monk can proc w/ yakesha clubs.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalzy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My guess is: Yes, if the rogue isn't epic'd. Might have to practice a bit if the rogue starts stealing aggro consistently but you'll probably be alright.
Thanks for advice baalzy!

You bring up a valid point regarding the epic, investing in that MQ might be a bad call for this duo. Time will tell on whether or not evading will be good enough to go all out. Worst case, we can always do what rogues/monks should typically be doing: better controlling their aggro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Depending on the amount of regen spread around (Iksar BP/Fungi/etc), having the rogue take one or two hits also saves overall downtime.

Chasing mobs fear kiting is also a valid option, although I'm not a big fan of chasing unsnared mobs. Might end up being more annoying than sitting after kills with a BW macro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Planar Protector

Mobs that are intimidated run slower than feared mobs me thinks and rogue can get a snare dagger.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Sarnak

I recommend hitting up WW and FM giants 24-40ish. They have ginormous hit boxes. No sow is needed. Plus side of WW is it's great loot for the lvl and a nearby Iksar vendor. That is if the monk is an Iksar.

As as aggro goes I would open with intimidate, backstab, then hide with no auto attack on. If you grabbed aggro the monk should get it back quickly as long as you don't attack. Once he has it back start auto attack, intimidate, backstab, hide. Surely 1/4 fears between the two of you would of landed by now and its gg, next giant.

Also, you can pretty much time when fear is going to fade. If your really lookin to decrease dmg taken, whoever has aggro when fear fades does a circle kite while the other person intimidates it till it lands. Would make the fights longer but you would take less dmg.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Sarnak

Brutes in kunark also have very large hit boxes, like yetis and giants. Very easy to fear kite as a monk.