Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Kobold

There are more subtle, and negative effects to instancing, that have nothing to do with competition and racing for mobs.

The part about instancing in this article is pretty good:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...orlds_are_.php

While I don't agree with everything he's saying, I think he's spot on about instancing.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Aviak

Instancing would solve quite a few of the problems we see now. Used properly, it will work out well. As for the classic/not classic argument who cares? Waiting three plus years for Velious isn't classic and that's a major problem in itself. We've played the classic game to death now. It is revealing its very serious limitations.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Kobold

Instead of instanced zones, you could use a hail x non-killable npc to spawn raid mobs and have lockout timers. Shit show problems on p99 gone...

Honestly, I really do think instancing made EQ raiding awesome and accessible to the masses. The reason EQ was on the decline by the time instancing came about was the invention of WoW and the EQ expansion GoD (which was horrible.)
Old 01-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Fire Giant

instancing would ruin what this server is... i really dont understand the point of this.

instancing already exists in an EQ setting, on most of the other Emulated servers AND on live... (hint.. its why most of us are here)

EQ2 ALSO has a metric shit ton of instancing.. if you are interested in that kind of thing

Lich (56+ Heretic)
Zelda (45 Shaman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
silence, 'hardcore scum'
Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebandit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
instancing would ruin what this server is... i really dont understand the point of this.

instancing already exists in an EQ setting, on most of the other Emulated servers AND on live... (hint.. its why most of us are here)

EQ2 ALSO has a metric shit ton of instancing.. if you are interested in that kind of thing
I would interject that I highly doubt most people are here just because there is no instancing. (Nor that it is even a major part of why people are here.)
Old 01-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebandit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I disagree that most people are here because of no instances, I think that instancing hinders community, and I think that people are here for many things, including community (as a large factor).

and the point of this was to read it, like I said in the OP. it's interesting.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerSar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree that most people are here because of no instances, I think that instancing hinders community, and I think that people are here for many things, including community (as a large factor).

and the point of this was to read it, like I said in the OP. it's interesting.
Sure, im not saying the article is uninteresting, its just that there seems to be alot of people here calling for instancing to be implemented, yet this would go against what the server is (despite the already slight modifications made to "classic") -- As you put so well, community is what Everquest was all about and instancing does destroy this... i will say in my personal opinion, instancing was the downfall of what Everquest was...

I liked the instancing portion on the previously linked " http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...orlds_are_.php " article

Lich (56+ Heretic)
Zelda (45 Shaman)

Quote:
silence, 'hardcore scum'
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Instancing has fuck all to do with why I'm here, and I probably wouldn't mind at all if P99 had it. I tend to think instancing improved EQ.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Sure, im not saying the article is uninteresting, its just that there seems to be alot of people here calling for instancing to be implemented, yet this would go against what the server is (despite the already slight modifications made to "classic") -- As you put so well, community is what Everquest was all about and instancing does destroy this... i will say in my personal opinion, instancing was the downfall of what Everquest was...

I liked the instancing portion on the previously linked " http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...orlds_are_.php " article
I liked it too, and I agree that community is what EverQuest is about (for me) and instancing raid targets does hinder this a little bit, but if you only instance big ticket raid targets, it's no different than a server rotation (except that it inflates the amount of loot coming off a monster).

It's not classic, but variance and other aspects of this are not classic either, not that I support instancing, I just think that the classic nature of P99 is "Classic until it breaks because we have the internet now" ... rather than big ass binders full of maps and quests (Like I did).

What I mean is that P99 makes classic good, it's just that people's ability and knowledge of the game make min/maxing and being 'super efficient' very easy, something theat took a great feat back in those days.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerSar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I liked it too, and I agree that community is what EverQuest is about (for me) and instancing raid targets does hinder this a little bit, but if you only instance big ticket raid targets, it's no different than a server rotation (except that it inflates the amount of loot coming off a monster).

It's not classic, but variance and other aspects of this are not classic either, not that I support instancing, I just think that the classic nature of P99 is "Classic until it breaks because we have the internet now" ... rather than big ass binders full of maps and quests (Like I did).

What I mean is that P99 makes classic good, it's just that people's ability and knowledge of the game make min/maxing and being 'super efficient' very easy, something theat took a great feat back in those days.
This does make a lot of sense, I do also feel like... If all the loot/bosses were instanced (or spawn times were increased or loot was increased), it would essentially allow for EVERYONE to get EVERYTHING they want with minimal effort and time, which becomes boring. I think the whole "ill never be wearing BIS for every piece of gear" Is what keeps a good bulk of people playing and continually trying to become better and get better loot, that is the ones that arent all about just being THE BEST/schadenfreude, but in more of a Casual "collectors" stance.

Lich (56+ Heretic)
Zelda (45 Shaman)

Quote:
silence, 'hardcore scum'
Closed Thread