Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2019, 06:31 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default A cool story... and a question

OK, I have a cool story & an honest question about the current state of red.

And before you all jump me in the typical eloquent r99 fashion, lets get it out of the way: You're right, I'm too soft for red. I'm a complete pussy who should crawl back to begging for a KC group on blue. And I'm definitely a loser IRL who can't find a woman, & youguys have all had sexual relations with my mom, etc. OK, you got me!

So now that that's out of the way, here's the story. I originally started on both blue & red some years back, before quitting for a while. Recently I have started playing red again because it's just something different. I don't mind the PVP, and the added dangers present a unique style of play. I have three chars that I play pretty casually. Not guilded, no real gear, highest level is 41 mnk. So basically I kind of suck. Although I have treant fists which I'm super proud of.

So anyway, the other day I try giants in RM. After killing a few I'm thinking 'sweet I might actually make some money!'. Next thing I know there's this uber-twinked Ogre SK with his foot completely up my ass. He is geared out, resists all my spells, etc. Basically I can't touch him. So he takes my lunch money.

Couple nights later I log in to my 30s chanter to see if I can get into a group in MM. I zone in & it's empty. After messing around with charm soloing for a few minutes I decide to leave. Near the zone line, I find that I am being suddenly & violently raped by this PMSing female human. Try to stun, tash, mez... but once again I stand no chance. I'm dead in roughly 3.8 seconds.

So today I log in to monk & bam, AC is up in SRo! Finally, some luck! So I go camp shadowed men til I get a rapier, and head for the bank. Grab 3250 gold (which is actually most of the money I've got) and start running. Well I guess I should have gone the southern route because as I pass KFC in SK I suddenly find myself rooted. Up runs this decked out ranger who proceeds to tear me a new one. I tried fighting back & quickly realized it was futile; once again I could barely touch my attacker.

So I'm sitting here and it dawns on me: I have not had a single PVP experience on this server in which I had anything resembling a fair chance. Each & every time I have fought another player, it's been an uber-twinked and/or deleveled character specifically designed to ruin my day.

So the question is: is this just what I should expect from Red at this point? Are all the high-level people bored to the point where they have twinked alts parked all around Norrath to grief us? If so, is the future of red99 anything other than a circle-jerk-for-pixels at the top?

And if not, can I borrow 3,250 gp from someone? :P