Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Sarnak

Default Race

While I know in later expansions racial differences basically became negligible, what about in Classic/Kunark (ignore Velious)? I am contemplating either a Dwarven or Half-Elf Rogue. Both have precedence in my mind, but the Dwarf has much better stats for a Rogue than a Half-Elf. I like leveling in Gfay, but Dwarf is close enough that the run is no big deal.

Do starting stats matter in Classic/Kunark? Or by time you get through Kunark even are starting stats basically a wash?
Old 07-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Planar Protector

You'll be fine whichever you pick. Main objective for a rogue is to hit max strength, which means the highest atk rating.

Work for about 180-185 str and the shaman str buffs will do the rest. Dwarf or gnome, you'll hit it one way or another.

I went half elf for mine, can't bear to "leg stab" on my screen lol
Old 07-24-2015, 08:20 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You'll be fine whichever you pick. Main objective for a rogue is to hit max strength, which means the highest atk rating.

Work for about 180-185 str and the shaman str buffs will do the rest. Dwarf or gnome, you'll hit it one way or another.

I went half elf for mine, can't bear to "leg stab" on my screen lol
Any negatives in equipment/quests with going Dwarf or Half-Elf?
Old 07-24-2015, 08:46 AM
Planar Protector

hero bracer is nice to have, cheap... dwarves can't wear it :/

http://wiki.project1999.com/Hero_Bracers

Can't think of many other decent str pieces that are racially limited (beyond iksars which don't count in this case) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hero bracer is nice to have, cheap... dwarves can't wear it :/

http://wiki.project1999.com/Hero_Bracers

Can't think of many other decent str pieces that are racially limited (beyond iksars which don't count in this case) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But Dwarves have a higher strength than Half-Elf to start with, so losing 5 Str here when compared to the next best option isn't too bad, right?

Edit: Although, the alternative doesn't have any AC.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by am0n [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While I know in later expansions racial differences basically became negligible, what about in Classic/Kunark (ignore Velious)? I am contemplating either a Dwarven or Half-Elf Rogue. Both have precedence in my mind, but the Dwarf has much better stats for a Rogue than a Half-Elf. I like leveling in Gfay, but Dwarf is close enough that the run is no big deal.

Do starting stats matter in Classic/Kunark? Or by time you get through Kunark even are starting stats basically a wash?
Racial differences WILL still matter. IF you think having a DE Warrior is going to get to the skills a Ogre Warrior is well what can I say. Hope you belong to the highest Guild in the game and are great friends with the Guild leader. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We are talking a lot later Expansions in EQ to ever make that happen for the average Joe Blow. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Sarnak

So is a 180-185 Str something that is obtainable in Classic/Kunark (again, no Velious).
Old 07-24-2015, 11:50 AM
Fire Giant

yes it is. IIRC Str is not that hard of a stat to stack. Esp when it is by a wide margin your main stat.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by am0n [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Still negligible.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguejm11 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still negligible.
Not negligible imo, but definitely not hugely important either, especially with a class like rogue since they only really need str (and mr and hp for raids) to be 95+% effective and str is super easy to come by.

I'd say starting stats make a "small but noticeable" difference overall, again moreso with something like gnome vs. ogre warrior or gnome vs. high elf cleric, and less so with any rogue or bard, etc.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 07-24-2015 at 01:04 PM..
Closed Thread