Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Aviak

Default Warrior weapon progression?

Currently have a lvl 27 warrior wielding Sword of Skyfire and Green Jade Broadsword. I find that I often have trouble holding aggro with rogues or monks in group. I was wondering if, at this level, my hate generation and thus ability to hold aggro would go up significantly if I were to buy, say, a Jade Mace or Lamentation. The problem is that I don't have a lot of money, and for the cost of a Jade Mace or Lamentation I could buy several armor upgrades instead. Should I aim for a Jade Mace/Lamentation or comparable weapon, or focus on armor upgrades until I can wield proc weapons?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:19 AM
Sarnak

at level 27 id probably recommend just focusing more on dps and less on agro via procs. id probably go staff of battle.

at this stage of the game you're going to have rogues and monks with massively better dps setups than you and the procs aren't really going to matter, so just join in on the dps fray

edit to add that, i wouldn't spend the money on armor upgrades. if you can't get aggro anyhow, not a lot of benefit to being tankier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-05-2014, 05:17 AM
Planar Protector

I'm currently levelling a new warrior. He is actually 27 at the moment!

I've found you're simply not going to be able to keep aggro for more than a few seconds with just taunt/melee against an epic rogue at this weapon.

Grouped with an epic/fungi rogue sometimes I'll switch to double obsidian shards; if a proc lands I'll likely have aggro until the rest of the battle, allowing the rogue to get back stabs in. I'm not sure if the massive drop in warrior dps from green jade broad swords to obsidian shards to allow rogues to backstab / not tank is worth it though. The warrior, rogues and cleric will feel happier with the situation though.

Really, the ideal solution is to stick with the dps weapon set but just have someone root the target mob for you. If you make sure you are the one standing closest to the rooted mob then you will be the one it tries to attack (regardless of aggro). The massive boost in dps this will give to the group (letting the warrior use dps weapons and the rogue to backstab reliably) is well worth the 30 mana, so generally someone will do it for you if you ask nicely.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Sarnak

Staff of Battle is dandy for if there are two warriors in the group and you want to avoid agro. Otherwise, regardless of level your only real duty is to keep agro. Agro weapons are a must.

Scimitar of Ykesha is no drop but you can very often get one for free by hanging out in Kithicor when guilds kill dark elves and do rogue epics. There's usually nobody there that needs it so it's rotting and they'll let you loot. This occurs several times a day so it's not unrealistic to be there at the right time.

Sarnak Warhammer is not very expensive

Those two will last you for life until you get rich, get an epic or velious comes out.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Good suggestions on weapons, Willie, but unfortunately not of immediate use to the op as he says he is 27.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good suggestions on weapons, Willie, but unfortunately not of immediate use to the op as he says he is 27.
Aye, that's basically the thing. I know that at later levels proc weapons are where it's at, but I can't wield any (good) proc weapons at lvl 27. So my question is: would it be significantly or noticeably easier to hold aggro if I were to buy a Jade Mace/Lamentation level weapon?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

I don't know, the best pure melee weapon I've used is a green jade broadsword and an iksar berserker club at 27. It doesn't have a hope of keeping aggro against monk/rogue twinks. Maybe jade mace or lamentations could but I doubt it.

As I said before the best is just to have someone root the mob you are fighting to control who it is hitting.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Sarnak

Get the lower level yaks that proc at 20 then.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

Do you mean obsidian shards?
Old 09-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Sarnak

I was thinking SSoY proc'd at 20, but I see it's listed as 37.