Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Skeleton

Default Awesome leaving-a-group excuses

Hi guys

TLDR towards the middle in bold

Over my EQ career I have heard many excuses (whether legitimate or not) as to why someone has to leave the group, and I am sure you all have too. Here are some common ones, not listed in any particular order, that i may or may not be guilty of myself!:

1) Wife agro
2) "Guys theres a big storm outside, might go LD" - then /ex
3) Repeatedly saying "I'm lagging pretty bad guys" over a small period of time, then /ex
4) Just /ex'ing
5) "Guild needs me guys, gotta go"
6) "Friend needs me guys, gotta go"

I'm sure I am missing a few common ones, but those stick in my mind the most. I've heard some of these so often that I almost feel like its become a way out, rather than just straight up saying "I don't feel like playing anymore, I'm going to log" or "I'm not feeling this group guys, gonna take off".

So its time to confess

A) What lies have you told your group in order to leave that they believed? That they did not believe?
B) Do you think the truth should be told even if it angers the group? Or is it better to white lie?
C) Anything else relevant you'd like to add

My confession:

A) I have probably done all of the 1-6 at least a few times, the /ex being the most. This game is frustrating and there are times when I'm like "wow F&$# this game" irl and i /ex. Which i think is understandable, but not giving my group notice is where it became disrespectful. A lot of groups like to give the LDer time to come back before they replace.

I have mixed it up and said things like "Guys i need to take off, so I am going to pretend like there's a storm outside and /ex, ok?" I get some good results with this as the group tends to laugh about it.

Then there are times when I have pulled heart strings in order to leave (or afk in a few instances >< ) by saying things like "Kid has a bloody nose, gotta afk a few" or "My little girl just fell down the stairs, brb" and then 10minutes later after i take care of my irl stuff "back sorry, shes ok it was just the last step she fell down, cried it out and now its all good". I'm so bad sometimes. Works like a charm though no one ever questions that. I told a group once that i had to leave because my ass was poopy. The group understood and there was no problem.

B) I tell the truth most of the time, and I try to do it in a respectful manner where I don't hinder the group or leave them hanging. But there are those times when....

C) Its interesting to me that people seem to follow when 1 person leaves. It happens a ton for me, where 1 person leaves, then everyone else is like "yea i gotta go too". Maybe it is similar to the excuse thing, where you don't want to tell the truth to avoid complications. So you wait for someone else to do it and then cash in :P

Just trying to provoke some thoughts while eqemu is down, though its probably up by now.

And don't even act like your hands are clean when you post :P
Last edited by Flipsyo; 09-28-2013 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: im awesome
Old 09-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Sarnak

99% of the time in PUGs I end up hating the exp/puller/healer and wish I hadnt joined so I quit out.

I will no longer play a class I cant solo to 60.

Also to answer one of the questons, I really dont care what your reason for leaving the group is, whether you're burned out or actually have a legit excuse, I dont think its a big deal.
Last edited by senna; 09-28-2013 at 04:04 PM..
Old 09-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

If I want/need to leave a group, I tell them and leave. 90% of the time I'll give a half hour notice and ill try to find a replacement in that time and then I'll wait until replacement gets there. I don't group that often anymore mainly because I can't particularly stand being in a group without having some afks due to real life, girlfriend, dog needing to go out, etc etc. It's a game, never really gave a sh*t giving a false story.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Orc

Man my system is glitching /exit
Lagging so bad... /exit
Relogging to fix /exit
Old 09-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

Begin /camp.
Wait till 5 seconds are left to prepare camp.
"/group A volcano just erupted in my living room."
Old 09-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Fire Giant

I straight up tell the group if I'm having an issue with how things are going, as politely as possible. I'll give them 20 or so minutes warning to find a replacement.

honestly though, and I really hate saying this, with the way Racial & Hybrid experience penalties work in being split upon fellow group members - I kinda prefer to solo unless everyone in the group is on their toes and the pulls are coming quick.

And that's really rare. It seems like there's always a DPS going constantly AFK, or the puller is, or there's a hybrid AND an Ogre / Troll hybrid in the group on top of it. I'm just being honest.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Begin /camp.
Wait till 5 seconds are left to prepare camp.
"/group A volcano just erupted in my living room."
beautiful
Old 09-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Sarnak

Yea nothing worse than having a bard pulling with a pally tanking and a ranger in the DPS slot
Old 09-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Banned

i bet living in the middle east is worse or being agatha
Old 09-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea nothing worse than having a bard pulling with a pally tanking and a ranger in the DPS slot
Ya know, bards are actually really nice to have in a group. Them pulling is really good with speed song so you always beat other group's pullers to the secondary uncamped spots. Personally I would/will group with any paladin who makes it 51+, afraid at that point they deserve it. Ranger's though, I like to avoid them.
Closed Thread