Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Orc

Default Pet question

I only just found out after 10 that if you don't do more damage then your pet, you will lose 50% of the XP for a kill.

Specifically to mages, how do you get around this without emptying your mana bar out or stealing agro from pet?
Old 08-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Fire Giant

I think a popular soloing strat for mages is to chain cast pets. Pull mob, have pet attack it, if the pet is winning cast reclaim energy when the mob is below 10% and use a small nuke to finish it, if the pet is losing start summoning a new one and hit pet go away right before the cast finishes to get a fresh new pet as seamlessly as possible, and then reclaim energy at the end. Ends up burning through reagents, but that's the price to pay.

The 50% rule doesn't count if you're grouped. So finding a partner to duo with is always good.

I dunno I'm not a mage though. Just some dude who's bored at work.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:00 AM
Sarnak

Read the guides dude

http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure
Old 08-18-2016, 05:59 AM
Fire Giant

I recommend duoing. Especially with another mage/necro.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:00 AM
Planar Protector

At the low levels it isn't worth worrying about. Just accept that you will take half the exp per mob, but it's ok because your fire pet is OP at lower levels.

Once pets get dual wield without having to be given a weapon, that's when you should consider chain casting as a legitimate exp strategy. Until then, keep chain casting to 'oh shit' moments and try to find a someone to duo with to negate if possible.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:35 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

39 fire pet is when chaining pets becomes OP. Get a burnt wood staff when you hit 45-46 and you'll be an XP machine.

Here's my chain pet macro for supreme laziness.

/stand
/cast #(1-8 on spell bar)
/pause 80
/pet get lost

-Note, if you fizzle you'll have to manually cast whatever pet you're chaining otherwise you'll have to run away or get raped, if you specialize conjuration this rarely happens though.

You can adjust the pause time, if your latency is over 150 I suggest lowering it a little more and putting a little extra distance between you and the mob before casting.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:21 PM
Planar Protector

Wouldn't recommend using this macro.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Planar Protector

Buy a bunch of malachite! like a 8 slot bag full. Summon fire pet, let it self ds. When the mob fights it either summon a new one by dismissing your current one at the end of your summon. Or if the mob is near dead dismiss the pet before it kills the mob. use a nuke to finish the mob. Summon a new fire pet, repeat.

I wouldn't trust a macro to fully summon. I chain summon by hand. Under certain circumstances the macro will fail.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:14 PM
Fire Giant

Get a decent melee weapon and swing. Seriously. If necessary, politely ask a higher level magician to make you a modulating rod (dam 8 delay 26) and summon a lot of bandages and tank stuff to the face. Your nukes + melee damage will out score your air pet which only procs a stun rather than additional damage.

Drop the rod on the ground and have a level 1 alt pick it up and punch out a guard, storing the rod on a corpse between play sessions. At level 12 you won't need it any longer, but you will have to nuke more and meditate more to outdamage the pet so use a Water pet instead as its threat generation is more than enough to deal with your nuking in closing the damage gap.

At 16 everything is easy peasy with the new nuke.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Orc

So pretty much it seems like chaining pets is the way to go. At 12 I haven't done it much because a few times I've timed it wrong or fizzled and got owned. But then again that was my fault.

Right now I'm sitting at 13 and things definitely aren't bad. Making some decent Plat doing sisters camp in lfay and got my torch already.

Would you experienced mages recommend going for shovel, Stein etc right away?
Closed Thread