Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > PvP Bugs

Old 08-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Banned

Default Separate thread: Spell casting should go through walls

We've brought this up in other threads but part of the experience of being a caster (aside from having to deal with dispelling/debuffing targets) was that you could cast detrimental spells on players through walls once you have a target much like you could with healing spells. I suppose the client at the time didn't discern the difference between beneficial and detrimental and just checked for target being player.

I mean glhf on finding evidence on this, I've started looking. Hopefully some vets can come out of the wood work and bump and put any personal interests aside.

The resist fix is going to hurt some and its already a challenge fighting in tough indoor areas against melees... this classic change does even the playing field and introduces some gr8 variations of bind sighting people/running in to grab a target for a group and retreating etc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] (aka makes turtling hard/impossible because someone will snipe a target faster than you and start a dispel/debuff/spell damage assist train <- this is a good thing).

Thx~
Last edited by Nirgon; 08-11-2014 at 01:00 PM..
Old 08-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Developer

The AC changes should make tank classes take less dmg. The cloth wearers are going to take a beating. Should be interesting.

Have to wait and see what needs adjusted next.

LoS checks suck to mess with.

H
Old 08-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Banned

Ya and considering water should block but not line of sight otherwise... bet this is a fun one for you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Old 08-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Developer

We have different los code, where we can tell difference between solid surface and that of a water/air surface.

H
Old 08-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Planar Protector

My recollection of LoS (for PvE), is that it varied based on the outdoor/indoor status of a zone.

For example outdoor zones, you shouldn't require line of sight to cast detrimental spells on mobs. This is why you could pull through walls and why you could get nuked to hell in Unrest.

Also that is why you didn't have to worry about hills or trees like you do on P99.

But indoor zones required LoS for detrimental spells. The exception to this being something like a Mage bolt.

But again, getting proof on this is tough.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Planar Protector

I recall on classic indoors (solb) only needing LOS to START casting on players. I dotted Gylen as he ran past, ended while thru a few walls for a killshot. That was one of the ways necros got kills back in the day!

this was shortly after kunark release
Old 08-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We've brought this up in other threads but part of the experience of being a caster (aside from having to deal with dispelling/debuffing targets) was that you could cast detrimental spells on players through walls once you have a target much like you could with healing spells. I suppose the client at the time didn't discern the difference between beneficial and detrimental and just checked for target being player.

I mean glhf on finding evidence on this, I've started looking. Hopefully some vets can come out of the wood work and bump and put any personal interests aside.

The resist fix is going to hurt some and its already a challenge fighting in tough indoor areas against melees... this classic change does even the playing field and introduces some gr8 variations of bind sighting people/running in to grab a target for a group and retreating etc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] (aka makes turtling hard/impossible because someone will snipe a target faster than you and start a dispel/debuff/spell damage assist train <- this is a good thing).

Thx~

Nirgons spot on with direct dmg not having line of sight after initial start... The horror of being ice cometed from the entrance of lower guk, while I was running down thru the bats to the skeletons when it hit you...

Now Bolts most certainly didn't work this way, but every other spell worked the same... Including dots etc..
Old 08-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Banned

I mean does not require line of sight to start or finish once in range with them targeted. Looks a lil taken out of context.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The AC changes should make tank classes take less dmg. The cloth wearers are going to take a beating. Should be interesting.

Have to wait and see what needs adjusted next.

LoS checks suck to mess with.

H
Wait what? I thought AC changes were part of a nerf to melee hit rate in PvP?

You're actually buffing melees on Red? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-12-2014, 01:12 AM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wait what? I thought AC changes were part of a nerf to melee hit rate in PvP?

You're actually buffing melees on Red? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No. I am making AC work. I saw AC drop melee dmg in half at upper end of AC. Cloth wearers will take different dmg than plate wears. Velious gives a lot more ALL/ALL AC gear. And monks become gods.

H