Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 05-28-2024, 11:08 PM
Large Rat

Default Starting Over

Hey all,

I created this account a while back just messing around, honestly I wasn't in the place to deal with the old old graphics.

On a whim, my wife and I started the Tormax official TLP that began last week. To my surprise my wife really took to the game! I'm so excited! She enjoyed and excelled at tanking and the pace is right for her, which means I get to re-live my favorite game! Unfortunately, the server kind of bombed and rather than switch to the random loot server (which the community is gravitating towards for some reason) we figured we'd dive in over here and play something even more accurate than live.

We are a wizard/paladin combo (Delirin and Adrina). We level up slowly, and maybe get in 15 to 20 hours a week. Hope to meet some fun folks in game! If the ip exemption is granted we'll be on this weekend.

My only fear about this is that we'll have some challenges finding groups, how is the leveling up experience in p99?

Excited to be here! Also, exhausted, had to find the files and install on 2 pc's, dig up my account info, set her account up and request the IP. I'm sure it'll be worth it but going to bed lol.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:54 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unfortunately, the server kind of bombed and rather than switch to the random loot server (which the community is gravitating towards for some reason) we figured we'd dive in over here and play something even more accurate than live.
Welcome!

Yeah the community over there is really confusing to me. I was watching a stream and some guy was enthusiastically describing this new 'persona' system they have where you're a gnome enchanter or whatever and then hit a button and you transform into a troll shaman or anything you want. Why anyone would want to do such a thing is beyond me. TLP players are just different, the less the game resembles Everquest the more they love it.

p99 is a lot different obviously. Like one thing I would consider is a different class that synergizes better with a paladin, unless your heart is set on wizard. The main utility a wizard brings to an exp group is ports and that's pretty well covered by other players. There's even a guild called dial-a-port. Maybe think about enchanter, shaman, mage, or necro. You're going to be able to find some groups if you hit the popular zones like Unrest, City of Mist, Karnor's, etc., but on p99 it's definitely good to be as self-sufficient as possible. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-29-2024, 08:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey all,

I created this account a while back just messing around, honestly I wasn't in the place to deal with the old old graphics.

On a whim, my wife and I started the Tormax official TLP that began last week. To my surprise my wife really took to the game! I'm so excited! She enjoyed and excelled at tanking and the pace is right for her, which means I get to re-live my favorite game! Unfortunately, the server kind of bombed and rather than switch to the random loot server (which the community is gravitating towards for some reason) we figured we'd dive in over here and play something even more accurate than live.

We are a wizard/paladin combo (Delirin and Adrina). We level up slowly, and maybe get in 15 to 20 hours a week. Hope to meet some fun folks in game! If the ip exemption is granted we'll be on this weekend.

My only fear about this is that we'll have some challenges finding groups, how is the leveling up experience in p99?

Excited to be here! Also, exhausted, had to find the files and install on 2 pc's, dig up my account info, set her account up and request the IP. I'm sure it'll be worth it but going to bed lol.

If she's the paladin, play something that helps her along better than a wizard. That way you won't be reliant on finding someone else.

Like literally anything else. Shaman, enchanter, necro, bard would be the best 4, druid isn't bad early on but will fall off hard later.

Wizards are basically a raid-only class that get plvled from 1-60, given an epic, and blow up bosses.
Last edited by Toxigen; 05-29-2024 at 08:39 AM..
Old 05-29-2024, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Hey all,

Wizard/Paladin will have a harder time leveling to 60, but it's doable.

Any duo will be able to significantly increase their odds of survival as opposed to soloing, just by dint of the extra DPS and extra spell bar that can be cast simultaneously. Two roots are better than one for controlling a bad situation. Wizards can Evac later on if you are getting into trouble as well.

You may want to consider switching classes before you get too far along, as the others have suggested. Shaman or Enchanter would be my top two picks. It sounds like your wife is the tank, so she can stick to Paladin since she is enjoying it.
Old 05-29-2024, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Hey all,

Did you start on blue or green?

The best duo combos are often debated here. Sounds like you've got tank/heals and dps in some form so its a start! A shaman might go better with the paladin, or if you both switched maybe a monk in the tank role and a shaman in the sit down role would be quicker... but its all about enjoyment.

Hopefully that IP exemption is granted soon. Welcome to P99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-29-2024, 05:02 PM
Kobold

I mean if you really want to play a wizard than pally is prolly the best duo partner (maybe chanter).
Old 05-29-2024, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

Wiz/Druid quads at later levels would be spicy.
Old 05-29-2024, 05:39 PM
Large Rat

I love the unsolicited wizard/pally duo debate lol!

Appreciate all of the opinions, but I love the wizard class for some reason. I can solo, and have taken 3 wizards to endgame throughout my EQ career without a single power level session. I may do a druid alt as the heals/dots/sow would be handy.

Not worried about efficiency in leveling up, just want to enjoy the journey and hang out in some of the spots I miss from years back.
Old 05-30-2024, 09:52 AM
Kobold

Quote:

Appreciate all of the opinions, but I love the wizard class for some reason. I can solo, and have taken 3 wizards to endgame throughout my EQ career without a single power level session. I may do a druid alt as the heals/dots/sow would be handy.

Not worried about efficiency in leveling up, just want to enjoy the journey and hang out in some of the spots I miss from years back.
Welcome to the P99 forums virtually every thread here gets hijacked and turned into a debate on an off topic subject (or tangentially on topic) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-30-2024, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

and thats fine

just dont complain when you cant do much actual exploring due to not having any duo synergy