Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Kobold

Default solo monk or ranger with no funds?

I have enough for a couple wedding rings and either the Wu's 2 hander or swiftblade.

No funds otherwise, which would be easier to level you think?

I was leaning towards ranger for the ghetto heals, track, forage and the eventual sow. This seems better then relying on bandages and mend yes/no?
Last edited by Wiley; 05-12-2015 at 01:25 PM..
Old 05-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have enough for a couple wedding rings and either the Wu's 2 hander or swiftblade.

No funds otherwise, which would be easier to level you think?

I was leaning towards ranger for the ghetto heals, track, forage and the eventual sow. This seems better then relying on bandages and mend yes/no?
Not really. Mid-fight ranger heals aren't usually going to turn the tide. Recovering post-fight with bandages doesn't rely on mana. It also starts at level 1, not level 9.

Also, you can buy a full 13 piece set of cured silk armor for about 80pp and it's quite decent to start a soloing monk. (Wait a bit on one wedding ring if you need to.)
Old 05-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Fire Giant

Rangers get Bind Wounds also. I dont think there is a huge difference until later on that.

For Monks the mend and later fd are great also as was stated above armor is alot easier to get for a monk. Downside to mend is when it critical fails at lower levels. Monks can solo at lower levels weaponwise with just a nice pair of magic gloves. The dps isnt super but it can allow for time to get better gear.

Ranger can use bow and when they get their first spells they get root. So at that point when you get low health you can root and back off the shoot them. Tracking is great for locating targets and Forage is nice for food/water.

Out of the 2 I found Monk easier to solo with at low level and a faster leveling but I am really enjoying leveling a ranger now since you have alot more options and track means I dont have to really search for something to kill if its within my track range.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Fire Giant

w/o funds, soloing is going to be hard on both classes.

Instead, play which class you enjoy the most!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Planar Protector

Monk is the better solo'er do to mitigation and mend. That said, play a ranger. Rangers are the bestest.

Plus, I may make you my ranger baby and take care of you as you grow.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Kobold

Thanks for the replies, FD so hard to pass up but I think I'll go ranger.

And Lecompte, I'd have to OK it with the wife bringing someone else into the relationship. Will get back to you!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveeauxfour [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
w/o funds, soloing is going to be hard on both classes.

Instead, play which class you enjoy the most!
This isnt necessarily true monks can solo without high end gear it just takes effort and actually using skills that arent as necessary if you have a fungi, haste item, and weapons. Work up tailoring make your own bandages and armor as you go. Save all money and only buy food as necessary and then buy a piece of cured/Wu's at a time and later do whatever you want with weapons. The most dangerous part about monks is failed mend/fd and the fact that you have no speed modification.

If you play Iksar you regen faster but get the xp penalty. Also there are people who are nice enough to give new players items to help them so you can probably get magic gloves for free just for running to WW since they rot at Gnachrist the Destroyer camp regularly or used to. Human you have the most options of everything from xp camps to banking and selling also the easiest leveling xpwise.

Something twinked Monks also dont pay attention to is weight. Which affects their AC after a point at lower levels the stuff your carrying can have a large impact. I suggest in pretty much every thread convert any trash loot and coin into gems as soon as possible. They usually have the best resale value to vendors and can be used for utility purposes like rez and port. They weigh almost nothing and stack so they make the perfect currency.

As stated above play the class you enjoy. Dont be afraid to start a character of each class in different races until you find the one you just really enjoy playing. Focus on the play itself and dont worry about the pixels until later. Meet people and get to know them. Make friends that 10-12 years from now if your still playing online games you may run into again and want to hang out with. Thats what I did and had a blast the second time around too.

Sorry for the above if you have been playing for a while I didnt notice if you were talking about just starting another toon or a new account and new to server.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:35 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry for the above if you have been playing for a while I didnt notice if you were talking about just starting another toon or a new account and new to server.
I played for a while before kunark launched here, but am starting from scratch again. Got a druid up to lv15 but really would rather melee with something. I've played casters far too much.

Completely casual afk exp regardless of what i choose though. I figure any class can solo its up to me on how much down time i'm willing to accept.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:11 PM
Sarnak

A well played ranger is pretty darn useful. Find yourself a sham to hang out with and you can snipe named all over norrath.

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:38 PM
Kobold

Ragers are capable of soloing, however they just suc, (solo = slow to level)
In a group they shine.

Shaman or clr / ranger combo is very very good xp.
Closed Thread