Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Fire Giant

Default EQ1 and 2 inspired buildings - Landmark

What people build in the landmark alpha that looks a bit like previous eq iterations:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnl...-builds.24528/

Examples:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 03-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

The spectre looks awesome.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah love the spectre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

i'm stumped on what the second one down is
Old 03-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahldagor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i'm stumped on what the second one down is
entrance to Mistmoore castle.

Thats Mayongs logo
Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
entrance to Mistmoore castle.

Thats Mayongs logo
ah. never noticed he had a banner logo. guess the lack of a bridge was throwing me off
Old 03-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Fire Giant

So .... Landmark = EverCraft/MineQuest? Anybody actually excited about that?
Old 03-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilzark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Copy/pasting from a recent post on reddit. I know this isn't exactly what you were getting at, but I have found that even among P1999 players, there is a lot of confusion about EQNL vs EQN, and what EQN is, so:

EQN v Landmark

The difference here has not been terribly well articulated by SoE themselves, but what we know is this:

Landmark is the world builder. It will serve the purpose to EQ Next what the Starcraft Campaign Editor served to Starcraft, or a SDK serves to Team Fortress 2. It is a world building tool, that they are making to feel like and play similar to Minecraft, but with much greater detail. Once Landmark, as a tool, is complete, they will release it Free To Play for all people to play Landmark, and build stuff.

Then, they will use Landmark to sculpt a world map, and build Norrath. Once Norrath is built, they will work on the MMO design, classes, and the like. This will be released as a second game, EQ Next. This is a non-quest themepark based horizontal progression MMORPG that emphasizes emergent experiences, rather than scripted ones. Using the voxel based world that they build with EQN Landmark, they will have a destructible world, with AI programmed with sets of likes and dislikes that will guide their behavior around a world that is being constantly changed.

During development of Norrath, on their end, with the fully functional Landmark out, they will put up the ability for people to create themed structures for EverQuest Next. For example, they may say "We need an Unrest. So we need an underground ruined dungeon.", and so players can struggle and build. Whoever gets the most votes, for example, will get their content put into the main game, getting credited, so that their creation was a part of the game.

Landmark will serve a further purpose by allowing players to build house templates in Landmark, and then copy them into EverQuest Next to place on their "Claim". Much like how in Star Wars Galaxies, you had 10 lots, and you could build your house on the world, this is very much the same, except that you can control what the house looks like. You will have to pay maintenance to keep the claims going (just like in SWG) to try and make sure the game doesn't become too much of a graveyard, with an exponentially increasing claim cost for every additional claim you make. In EQN, you will be able to place multiple claims adjacent to one another so that you can have a Guild Village for example, in which each person shares their claim, and you all collectively build a cool fortress.

The idea is to allow players to create content on the ever changing world, so that every time you adventure outside of the main player city in EQN (Qeynos at the start, will expand in the game), you will see new destruction caused by player fights, new AI bases built through their dynamic exploration of the world (the NPCs do not static spawn, instead they wander and cluster based on likes and dislikes to form encounters at areas with the most gravity toward their likes), new houses built by players, and so on. In this way, every time you go into the world, it is changed.

The only focused quests will be the Rallying Calls, which are 2-3 month long collective non-directed quests in which players have generalized goals to push a collective job. These will alter the game world, such as building the city of Halas. When an unknown property has been reached (number of goblins killed, wall strength achieved, people in the area, etc), the call will advance, and progress a server-wide story. This will allow the developers in the game to have an active role in progressing a story, and evolving the barren world that is Norrath at this point in the lore (for those fellow EQ nerds, this is post-Combine Empire collapse, so most of the land is completely barren).

But, you as a player are in no way forced to be a part of it. You can go off and do your own thing if you wish, and that is more than fine. The purpose is that if you want to be a part of it, you can. And once you do the Rallying Call to build Halas, you've been a part of that, and Halas is now a city on the world. You build a part of the game world. This would be like building Orgrimmar. This lets you say "Oh Halas, I helped build that!" to new players much more down the line, giving you a history with the game world itself.

So, it is a constantly changing and evolving, living and breathing world for players to engage in.

That's the best summary I can provide for EQN and EQN Landmark. The remarkable thing to me is that all of this is insanely possible. Nothing here is that crazy. It is new, it is innovative, it is interesting, but it's all within the realm of possibility. That's genius.

I'd like to believe SoE, once the kings of the MMO scene, saw their failure in EQ and SWG in how they were exploiting their player base when WoW destroyed them, that they realized they fucked up. With Smedley apologizing, and all that, I really think SoE got smacked into place, and are looking for other styles of MMO design to make players have a more active role in shaping the game, because as Valve likes to note, you can't out-produce your consumer. Give them the best tools to make their own content, give them a base product, and let the consumer, the active fan, let them make the game into what you couldn't even hope to do.

I like to believe this is what SoE has learned. They are not going as far as Valve does... But... Just maybe this is a good first step.

On EQN Classes

Classes work in an odd way, more like the original Final Fantasies, or a bit like SWG. So, how it basically happens is that 3 things determine your "progression", that being Your Class, Your Gear, and Your Abilities. I'll go through each in turn.

There will be a number of starting classes (I believe 8) with upwards of 40 total. You will find these in the world by exploring, being engaged in quests, or doing faction based random encounter quests that you locate in the world (sort of like the Old Man Jedi Quest, how it was meant to happen randomly when you met an unknown criteria). You unlock these classes, and you can swap between them. Now, classes determine something similar to base stats, such as your Stat Migration in SWG. They determine your mana, your HP, and the like. Classes may also (I believe, this might be something I picked up from hearsay) shape the efficacy of different abilities. Classes will shape the types weaponry you can use.

Now, on top of your class, you have gear. Gear also shapes your base stats, enhancing them. Your gear doesn't have to match your Class, but can instead be used to pick up the slack of your class.

Lastly, your abilities are found through random encounters in the world (such as when a bunch of Orc AI cluster together and build a fort, a chest will appear with them). You create a set of 7-8 of these (sort of like TSW/Guild Wars 2). These are not necessarily limited to class.

So, as an example of how these intermingle. You are a Rogue class. You and a few friends go out and break apart an Orc Encampment. You find the Ability Tome: Teleport. Everyone rolls for it, you win it. Now, you're a Rogue with Rogue Gear, so you have 50 mana. But Teleport costs 100 mana to use. You can put Teleport on your bar, but you can't even cast it. So you need to either, 1) Change your gear to be less Agility/Strength oriented as a rogue, and put on more Spellcaster gear, so you force your mana up, making you a Wizard Geared Rogue with Teleport, or 2) You change your Class to Wizard, and you keep your Rogue gear on, making you a Rogue geared Wizard with Teleport. The idea being that you can intermingle these, and change them as you get more gear, more abilities, and more classes.

You get these abilities and the like through the dynamic AI clustering that occurs based on AI acting for Likes and Dislikes, creating randomly generated non-scripted encounters. So, you are not questing, you are not grinding monsters, you're adventuring. You see an orc encampment has popped up to the north, you get your friends together, and you wipe out the encampment. Some orcs survive and run off to a new place to set up a new camp, and so on. It isn't like having a set Orc Camp in that area always. And when the AI built camp is destroyed, you get a chest, and you get abilities, and so on. You progress through adventure, rather than questing.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilzark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Marginally. Will presumably need to be playable with a controller, so unless they are abnormally conscientious, expect that to soak into the PC version in some form like it did with ESO. It's looking like it might be spammy, arcade-style combat. (Combat will appear in Landmark supposedly) They implemented a cash shop into Landmark before they implemented water. Smedbucks (station cash) model which will likely ride as closely as possible to paywalls while still being technically pay2notgrind.

Even so, digging is fun so far and I think it has a lot of potential as an autism playpen.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uteunayr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And when the AI built camp is destroyed, you get a chest, and you get abilities, and so on. You progress through adventure, rather than questing.
now that don't sound half bad there