Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 06-09-2024, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

Default 6/8 new thread

Meds suck butt at least the voice is gone.

Gator sausage was great 👍 😋

Forums deader than usual. Losing motivation to hit 10k posts again or log in and play.

I did set up a nice big comfy recliner for EQ.

Dragonlance war of souls audiobooks OK. It's not really A+ though. Definitely passable if u aren't a fan girl for Krynn.
Old 06-09-2024, 10:50 PM
Planar Protector

I loved dragonlance when I was growing up, here's my collection. I used to have more but I think I lost like 10-15 books of it somewhere along the way.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-10-2024, 12:33 AM
Planar Protector

Kender are the most annoying fantasy race ever fucking created.
Old 06-10-2024, 12:55 AM
Planar Protector

1120883-2653803582.jpg
Old 06-10-2024, 04:56 AM
Fire Giant

i'm hesitant to start dragonlance. I never read it as a kid and i'm afraid it'll be too childish now. After reading things like First Law and Malazan, and I going to be disappointed?
Old 06-10-2024, 06:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
am I going to be disappointed?
Most likely, yes
Old 06-10-2024, 07:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kender are the most BEST fantasy race ever fucking created.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i'm hesitant to start dragonlance. I never read it as a kid and i'm afraid it'll be too childish now. After reading things like First Law and Malazan, and I going to be disappointed?
i'll say that some books are better than others if you stick to the margret wies and tracy hickmen ones u will be mehh'd at worst.

That said some of the other writers did make some good books. They just don't 'go anywhere'. Some are so terrible my mom smirks at me when I listen to them, but i made it a point to listen to all the Tasslehoff relevant ones cuz i just love that dude.
Old 06-11-2024, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I recommend The Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock and the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist over Dragonlance
Old 06-11-2024, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

Druzzit books are top dawg tbh an fair

Butt I'm always interested in alternatives. Got lots of time to kill hehe.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:21 AM
Fire Giant

Here's my recent read list...well listen to for that matter. I just recently got audible and have been slamming books since.

Malazan book of the fallen - it's not an easy read. You gotta pay attention and shit, so wouldn't recommend as a starter. But also really really good once you get your brain on board with following it. Epic and brutal. I did 4 of em and then stopped. There's like 20 something books in the series at this point, so not something you can just plow through.

The gentlemen bastards - No magic, but some good ol fashion thieving. Third book I struggled with but 1 and 2 are really good.

Tales of the Otori - i did the first few of these and they were good. It's shogun era Japanese style with a bit of magic type stuff added in. If you're into that kinda shit. After 3 books I had my fill and stopped.

Finished up all the First Law world books - this is easily my favorite series. All the books have been great. Good characters, good plots, good violence, and fun.

Prince of Thorns - grim as fuck but enjoyed it. Like really grim

Kingkiller Chronicles - only two books out now, and the third may never come, but I still highly recommend it. Really good story.

Powder mage trilogy - A fun one with a nifty magic style. flintlock rifle fantasy

The Greenbone Saga - It's like the godfather in a chinese setting with magic powers added in. Loved and hated it. There were times wanted to stop, but in the end I really enjoyed it and was happy I finished. Was actually a little sad when it was over.

The Five Warrior Angels - while the title is kinda gay (no offense), it was good. It's a good ol fashion fantasy with some of the tropes but done well, and a lot of epic shit and violence.

The Siege - I've only read the first book "sixteen ways to defend a walled city", but I really enjoyed and it will be going back for more soon. No magic, but it's about a jaded engineer who manages to find himself in charge of defending a city under siege. Great writing, witty and entertaining, and as an engineer myself, it was great.

Right now I'm on book 7 of the Dresden Files since I wanted a change of setting for a bit. Been entertaining so far but after this current book I'm going to return to The Siege.
Last edited by nostalgiaquest; 06-12-2024 at 04:26 AM..