Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 09-12-2024, 10:25 PM
Sarnak

Default Everforum The Roleplaying Game

I want to try a little experiment.

I'm going to post a story, and you can create a character and join in at any time and see if we can complete a quest before time runs out.

To join and create a character simply post ITT with your characters information - and ill retcon you into the world somehow (experiment!). Something like this, feel free to get creative!

Quote:
Your character's name.

If it's your first time posting this character name, give a brief description of your race/class from the EQ character database, and a brief backstory where you’ve come from.
After you’ve created your character I’ll reply with some descriptions about the world and events around you. What items you have in your inventory, your stats and anything else.

I will do random 100's against your stats with a modifier to see if you successfully complete actions.

Lets stick to 1 character at a time until it dies.

We can go back and forth as many times as we can, asking for more details/descriptions about the prompt you're on, or responding to an action you perform etc.

For example:

Me:
Quote:
You've been thrown into a small room, there's a window that looks big enough that you could squeeze through it, or a small enough rogue could dive right through it. There's also the locked door, that you can hear mummers behind.
You:
Quote:
How high is the window, if I did dive through it is there anything safe to land on?
Me:
Quote:
You press your face against the glass pains, and try to look down. Its a bit high, at least 2 stories, though you cant really tell but you think you could make it. There's a wagon, with some straw and other garbage in it, but also a guard standing watch just below you.
You:
Quote:
"I'll grab my weapon and run through the window and try to land on the guard!"
I'll be keep track of your stats, items etc and keep you updated with them after they change.

The first player to complete the quest will win a reward or something they can use if we try this again in another quest!

I have no idea how well this will work out but I thought what the hey. Lets find out, and if its fun we can keep it up!

I've got a short quest that we can try to work through to see what happens. I am not the best DM, but I try, and I think it will be at least... interesting for a few pages to mess around with!

I don't think it will be fair, so dont get all raid guild competitive (yet lets refine this idea!) but I think it will be fun!

--- Let the stories BEGIN! ---
Old 09-12-2024, 10:26 PM
Sarnak

Quest: "The Vault of Shadows"

Chapter 1: Arrival at Freeport Docks

We begin our adventure with a young traveler, making their way downtown, toward the infamous city of Freeport. Known for its seedy underbelly and hidden treasures, Freeport offers both opportunity and danger to those who dare to tread its dusty streets. For the traveler, much lies ahead—mysteries to uncover, deals to be made, and secrets lurking in the shadows. With nothing but the open sea behind and a future yet unwritten, the city beckons, its promise as enticing as it is perilous.

After days spent waiting for the boat, and at sea, the horizon ahead finally breaks with the jagged silhouette of Freeport—a city known for its lawless nature and shadowy deals. Tales of treasure, danger, and opportunity have lured many to these docks, but what brought you here? A simple job? A thirst for adventure? Or perhaps something more elusive, whispered about in the darker corners of the world?

As the ship creaked into the harbor, you are greeted with the call of the gulls overhead mingled with the rough shouts of dockworkers, pulling crates of goods onto land. The salt-laden wind carried with it the scent of promise and peril, and in the air, you feel the start of something… vast.

You step off the ship, the wooden planks beneath your feet swaying with the last remnants of the sea voyage. The docks of Freeport are alive with the bustle of sailors unloading cargo, merchants hawking their wares, and the ever-present scent of fish and saltwater. As you adjust to the new land, a gruff man in leather armor approaches, sweat beading on his brow. "You! Fresh off the boat, eh? Listen, I need a hand with something. Just a small delivery to a merchant." He hands you a package wrapped in brown cloth, eyes darting nervously around. "The Black Gull Tavern. Don’t open it. Don’t talk to anyone."

Behind you, a hushed voice whispers, "Stay away from him... he’s mixed up in things you don’t want part of."

Already, a web of intrigue begins to form... Who are you, and what do you do?
Last edited by shovelquest; 09-12-2024 at 10:49 PM..
Old 09-13-2024, 12:41 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

I am Devin Thickbrows. A dwarf rogue exiled from Kaladim for his unscrupulous theft of cheese and beer. Also that one time he stole from the kings coffers.

Freeport seemed more in line with the lifestyle he was looking for. Also it was the first place the dwarves would let him board to on threat of death to exit the butcherblock mountains.

"Hmm, bugger off you busy body" Devin mumbles to the hushed voice behind him. He slinks off into the shadows of a nearby tavern alley. "What have we here?" He wonders silently, and slips his dagger along the envelopes seal. Anyone fool enough to trust Devin was fool enough to have his letter read.
Old 09-13-2024, 02:41 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
I am Devin Thickbrows. A dwarf rogue exiled from Kaladim for his unscrupulous theft of cheese and beer. Also that one time he stole from the kings coffers.

Freeport seemed more in line with the lifestyle he was looking for. Also it was the first place the dwarves would let him board to on threat of death to exit the butcherblock mountains.
Wecome Devin Thickbrows! To Freeport!

First of all thanks for playing, before we get started let's get your character sheet started.

Quote:
[Name:] Devin Thickbrows
Dwarf/Rogue
HP: 5
[Stats:]
Str 5
Dex 5
Wis 4
Int 3
EXP: 0
Weapon: Tarnished Pronged Table Knife (1DMG)
Inventory: Smuggled Tattered Tabard, a Karren Doll with etchings on it, Moldy Cheese & Thick milk.
--- And now, back to our Friday night cartoons! ---

Chapter 1: Devin Thickbrows

Quote:
Quote:
You step off the ship onto the docks of Freeport. A gruff man in leather armor approaches, sweat beading on his brow. "You! Fresh off the boat, eh? Listen, I need a hand with something. Just a small delivery to a merchant." He hands you a package wrapped in brown cloth, eyes darting nervously around. "The Black Gull Tavern. Don’t open it. Don’t talk to anyone."

Behind you, a hushed voice whispers, "Stay away from him... he’s mixed up in things you don’t want part of."
"Hmm, bugger off you busy body" Devin mumbles to the hushed voice behind him. He slinks off into the shadows of a nearby tavern alley. "What have we here?" He wonders silently, and slips his dagger along the envelopes seal. Anyone fool enough to trust Devin was fool enough to have his letter read.
Devin slides into the shadows, his eyes flicking over the dimly lit surroundings before settling back on the envelope in his hands. His fingers tremble with a mix of curiosity and greed, tracing the edges of the seal like a predator toying with its prey.

He whispers to himself, "What secrets do you hold, eh? Let’s see what these fools are hiding." Slowly, carefully, he slips his dagger under the seal and peels it open. Inside, strange markings swirl across the page, almost dancing in the flickering shadows of the alley.

The name "Old Kirran" jumps out at him, sparking recognition.

Devin grins, oblivious to the sound of approaching footsteps behind him... What do you do?!
Last edited by shovelquest; 09-13-2024 at 02:56 AM..
Old 09-13-2024, 03:33 AM
Sarnak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-15-2024, 07:33 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wecome Devin Thickbrows! To Freeport!

First of all thanks for playing, before we get started let's get your character sheet started.

--- And now, back to our Friday night cartoons! ---

Chapter 1: Devin Thickbrows

Devin slides into the shadows, his eyes flicking over the dimly lit surroundings before settling back on the envelope in his hands. His fingers tremble with a mix of curiosity and greed, tracing the edges of the seal like a predator toying with its prey.

He whispers to himself, "What secrets do you hold, eh? Let’s see what these fools are hiding." Slowly, carefully, he slips his dagger under the seal and peels it open. Inside, strange markings swirl across the page, almost dancing in the flickering shadows of the alley.

The name "Old Kirran" jumps out at him, sparking recognition.

Devin grins, oblivious to the sound of approaching footsteps behind him... What do you do?!
Devin never lets an opportunity pass him by. He attempts to memorize the contents of the letter, and then destroy it via whatever means is available. Even eating. Then the plan is to blackmail the recipient for the information. Depending on what is learned.
Old 09-15-2024, 08:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Devin never lets an opportunity pass him by. He attempts to memorize the contents of the letter, and then destroy it via whatever means is available. Even eating. Then the plan is to blackmail the recipient for the information. Depending on what is learned.
[INT check (4) - you remember most of it.]

Your mouth twists in disgust as you swallow the last bit of the letter, the bitter taste lingering on your tongue.

The cloaked figure approaching from behind is taken aback by what they had just witnessed. “Did you... just eat that letter!?” the figure sputtered as he steps closer, their voice full of disbelief. For a moment, he stands frozen, clearly unprepared for such a bold move.

Devin smirks, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "Now the secrets are safe with me!"

The figure composed themselves quickly, though a lingering sense of shock remained. "That letter was important, and we needed it... now you've put yourself deeper into this than you know."

The figure stepped closer, their voice lowering. "I’m not your enemy. Not yet, anyway." You notice the glint of a weapon beneath the cloak, though it remains sheathed. "That letter you-- ate... is part of something bigger. It has to do with the the vault beneath Freeport—someone is planning to open it. And if you’re smart, dwarf, you’ll want to be on the right side when it happens."

He sighs, "unfortunately that letter. It contained more than just words; it was an official response from the Knights of Truth, with part of the vault code on it. If anyone shows up without it, Kirran will be suspicious. And he holds the rest of the code—without that letter, he's not going to believe we're the contact. You’ve just made things... complicated."

[Memory of Letter] As you think about your last meal and you remember strange symbols etched in the corners — it looked like a 1hb, or Hammer of some type.

His tone shifts, becoming less hostile and more conspiratorial. "But maybe that works in your favor. If you’re clever enough... You’ll need to play it smart. He’ll demand to know why you don’t have the letter."

The figure’s shadowy gaze locked onto Devin. "So what’s it going to be, Thickbrows? You can either find and face Kirran empty-handed and improvise, or you can tell me what your plan is. I’m all ears."

The figure leaned against the alley wall, arms crossed, clearly awaiting Devin’s next move.
Last edited by shovelquest; 09-15-2024 at 08:25 PM..
Old 09-16-2024, 11:59 PM
Sarnak

Everforum is LFG!

Jump off the boat before it heads back out to sea... and see if you can catch Devin before he leaves with the secret code!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-17-2024, 10:47 AM
Planar Protector

i take off my robe and wizard hat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Old 09-17-2024, 11:05 AM
Kobold

I thought this thread was going to be about all the people that don't play the game but spend their whole day posting on every thread and starting new ones daily just to get their post count up, to subsequently have their posts removed and have it go back down.

I'm disappointed this is actually a real thread.