Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs > Green Bugs

Old 05-10-2024, 03:39 PM
Aviak

Default High Quality Ore - Era and Pricing

High Quality Ore was added to goblin loot tables in Sep 2000 for use in ornate chain recipes and human cultural smithing.

Era

Just after the Sep 2000 update:
- https://groups.google.com/g/alt.game...m/tpEuwljULi0J
Quote:
Eponine72
Sep 20, 2000, 7:00:00 AM

I also found a new item in HH Keep. I was there last night killing raiders
and they occasionally dropped a chunk of High Quality Ore. No one in the
group had ever seen it before and I used to hunt in HH Keep all the time,
just took a break for a couple of week. So I think this is new. Not sure
what it is for...maybe for FS Armor?
Jesalynn -Fennin Ro
- https://groups.google.com/g/alt.game...m/NYJG7qKs5IoJ
Quote:
Lou Spinelli
Sep 22, 2000, 7:00:00 AM

High quality ore is dropping in permafrost. Anyone know what brand of
smiffin' this is used for?
Quote:
Adam Frank Nevraumont
Sep 22, 2000, 7:00:00 AM

Lou Spinelli <L...@theworld.org> wrote:
>High quality ore is dropping in permafrost. Anyone know what brand of
>smiffin' this is used for?

www.eqtraders.com

Human smiffin'
- https://web.archive.org/web/20010424...n-z/200002.htm
Quote:
2000/09/24
EQ。Aqui で IG と思って Gate してみたけれど camped。はうぅ。しょうがないので PermafrostKeep の中の様子を見にいった。IceGoblin が Small Brick of High Quality Ore、Ice Goblin Blood を出すようになってたりして。New Plate の材料ですな。

From Google Translate:
EQ。 I thought it was IG with Aqui and tried Gated, but it was camped. Sigh. I couldn't help it, so I went to see what was going on in PermafrostKeep. IceGoblin has started to release Small Brick of High Quality Ore and Ice Goblin Blood. It's the material of the New Plate.
In a thread speculating on ornate chain recipes:
- https://web.archive.org/web/20001208.../001531-2.html
Quote:
dead_omens
posted 10-23-2000 02:06 AM

hi all just a thought....did anyone try to use high quality ore found off ice goblins in perma....The ore started to drop after the patch and has no use as of yet. Try making the rings from that metal. Just a thought!!!

Jilaman Fireforge
25th season shaman
Drizzuil ro
master blacksmith 150
Quote:
VividDreamings
posted 10-23-2000 09:03 AM
HQ ore also drops off Highkeep goblins, and (I heard) in Sol A.

However, it is used for human cultural smithing. I think it is very likely that HQ ore is used for the chain armor upgrade, since they want it to be rare, they make it dropped only.
As I recall, HQ ore was dropping well before Kunark on P99 Green.

Pricing

The vendor pricing for small and large bricks of HQ ore on P99 seems to be incorrect. On P99, at amiable with 104+ Charisma:

- vendors buy small bricks for 5.819pp (comments suggest ~2-4pp) and large bricks for 17.458pp (comments suggest ~8-10pp).
- vendors sell small bricks for 17.436pp (comments suggest ~11.5-16pp) and large bricks for 49.966pp (comments suggest ~41-42pp)

- https://web.archive.org/web/20030415...topic&index=10
Quote:
Nefarius Gnome
(11/9/00 7:17:38 pm)
Re: Suggestions for good Loot kills?

See my writeup on camping Kindle in the 29-34 section of this board. At 39-40 I don't imagine there's much experience for you in Sol A. Inferno gobs, Solusek gobs, and some gnomes will probably be the only blue cons to you. If you just need money, however, then you can go through and mow down any goblin that's cinder grade or higher. They DO drop a ton of FS, and also bricks of High quality ore. The small bricks sell for 2pp, the large ones sell for 8pp.

I spent all of levels 29 to 34 camping Kindle. Sol A is one of my favorite dungeons. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Nefarius Frobozz
Devout Agnostic Gnome Magician of the 35th Trial
Terris-Thule
- https://web.archive.org/web/20010605...Smithing-I.htm
Dated January 15, 2001
Quote:
High quality small brick ore: Vendor buys for 2818c. Vendor sells for 11,497-15,933c, non-stackable, wt. 7.0, HH keep, Miner Harton, Also DE vendor near Neriak Forge. Its icon is silver in color. When sold to other vendors by players vendor sells for17pp. Dropped by Permafrost goblins near King room, Nintalten writes: Goblins in Solusek A also drop the small/large bricks of high quality ore. They drop fairly frequently. After spending about 1-2 hrs in Permafrost he had about 5 pieces of small ore and 2-3 pieces of the large. You can camp the rare spawns while doing it and get some half decent equipment. Used by Humans only in Freeport forge, for specialty armors and shields.
High quality large brick ore combine regular forge: 3 high quality small brick, water. (icon silver in color), trivial 175-178). wt. 14, permafrost goblins near King room. Also DE vendor near Neriak Forge. Halas, magic shop 41pp (may not be regular stock item) Enchantable with enchant steel. Use to make High Quality rings used by all smiths to make ornate chain armor. Trivial >175 Vendor buys for 9pp. 2/3 successes at skill level 178.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20010418....shtml?id=2598
Quote:
High Quality Ore
By: Wheel
Posted @ Mon, Feb 19th 7:20 PM 2001
Recently on my way to camp the archeologist, My invise wore off in front of an Ice Goblin. Being a level 31 shaman, i didn't think it mattered, but regardless, he went agroo on me. I was in the middle of the flag room so i figured if i engaged in battle, i would have a ton of these punks on me. I decided to high tail it to the zone just as a precaution (i forgot to bind myself before entering-bound in Highpass). When i got to the zone, i turned to the same gobby, no train. I killed him and looted a Large brick of High Quality Ore sold for 9pp. Talking to my guildies of lower level that have been camping them, and they say it drops randomly from them.
Wheel Otorture
31 Level Shaman
Tuath Na Sgiath (shield of the north)
- https://web.archive.org/web/20010811...html?item=3721
Quote:
Posted @ Tue, Feb 27th 4:32 AM 2001
20pp is way too low for a tunic. It takes 3 large bricks of HQ ore which sell for around 10pp each to a vendor. Given that, and the cost of the pattern, I'd put the price --at least-- 40pp just to break even (assuming no failures).
- https://web.archive.org/web/20010630...html?zstrat=46
Quote:
Posted @ Tue, May 22nd 11:10 AM 2001
My advice to any mid 20 - mid 30 who is looking for excellent loot is this:
Run, do not walk, to Highpass Keep. This zone is unlike most others in that you can BIND AND FIGHT IN THE SAME ZONE. There is also a BANK no further than 10 seconds away from the basement where you hunt goblins. It makes for a good bind spot. If you happen to die in Highpass Keep, do not fret....no matter where you are bound, you are never more than 1 minute from your corpse. Fine Steel Weapons (3pp-6pp) and Large/Small Bricks of High Quality Ore (4/9pp respectively) drop like rain in this zone, especially in the Warrior and Raider room. To top it off, there are few places that have better XP than Highpass Keep. I leveled there from around 27-35.....very quickly.
Comments discussing the Spirit Aid quest which requires a Large Brick of HQ ore:
- https://web.archive.org/web/20011226...tml?quest=1282
Quote:
My Experience
By: orphanstar,
Posted @ Mon, Sep 10th 11:16 AM 2001
I've completed the first part of the quest (getting the Soulforge, and freeing several spirits from faded shadow crystallized shadow weapons). Here are some things that I learned that I hope will help others:

High Quality Ore: I had no idea where this dropped, or where Small Bricks of High Quality Ore dropped (three small bricks + water= 1 large brick, trivial at 76). I finally went to High Pass, and was able to buy small bricks of HQ ore off the Jail Merchant for about 15 plat each. (These drop in here, and people sell them to the merchant). I went to freeport and a mastersmith was able to make a Large Brick for me out of the Small Bricks. (I had him make two, just in case).
Quote:
RE: HQ what?
By: Anonymous
Posted @ Thu, Oct 4th 1:57 PM 2001
OK I found it, Like people said it is in High Hold Keep. Just go buy it from the vendor next to the banker. No one in zone had it, but he vender sold it to me for the low low bargain price of 42plat. But it was worth it, I got 3 swords I sold and a no drop bracer from the quest so far.
Quote:
RE: Orbs and Weapons
Posted @ Sat, Oct 13th 2:06 PM 2001
Oh, and on a side note, the Large Brink is not STOCKED on the vendor, but you can almost always find 2 or 3 there from other players who sold it. I bought mine for 42p3g with Indiff faction. And with the new shiny NO DROP armor I have to wear on Rallos Zek, it was worth it.

Druid Serving Tunare
Rallos Zek
P99 may be using the Luclin-era vendor sell prices as Classic-era buy prices (HQ ore vendors were added in Feb 2002):
- https://web.archive.org/web/20041125...tml?item=14470
Quote:
Cost to purchase from a vendor - 17.3 pp
Posted @ Tue, Nov 12th 1:48 PM 2002
By: Vorish

Gliblixl Rocktok says 'Greetings, Narkel. You look like you could use a Large Brick of Medium Quality Ore.'
Gliblixl Rocktok tells you, 'That'll be 5 platinum 7 gold 4 silver 9 copper for the Small Brick of High Quality Ore.'
Gliblixl Rocktok tells you, 'That'll be 17 platinum 3 gold 2 silver 5 copper for the Large Brick of High Quality Ore.'

Gliblixl Rocktok tells you, 'That'll be 51 platinum 9 gold 7 silver 5 copper for the Block of High Quality Ore.'
Gliblixl Rocktok tells you, 'That'll be 2 platinum 2 gold 5 silver 7 copper for the Small Brick of Medium Quality Ore.'
Gliblixl Rocktok tells you, 'That'll be 6 platinum 8 gold 2 silver 5 copper for the Large Brick of Medium Quality Ore.'
Gliblixl Rocktok tells you, 'That'll be 20 platinum 5 gold 2 silver 7 copper for the Block of Medium Quality Ore.'
Gliblixl Rocktok tells you, 'That'll be 10 platinum 5 gold for the Smithy Hammer.'
Gliblixl Rocktok tells you, 'That'll be 1 silver per Water Flask.'
Overall, most would probably consider the current values close enough to in-era reports, but the vendor buy price for large bricks is a definite outlier.

Proposed Changes
- Flag Small and Large Bricks of High Quality Ore for Sep 2000
- Adjust vendor prices for Small and Large Bricks of HQ Ore to era-accurate values
Old 05-10-2024, 04:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passenger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Flag Small and Large Bricks of High Quality Ore
Don't forget about https://wiki.project1999.com/Block_of_High_Quality_Ore ... it likely was introduced at the same time as the large/small block.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:08 PM
Aviak

It appears Blocks of High Quality Ore, as mob loot, have been ruled out of era entirely:
Quote:
* Telin: Blocks of high quality ore no longer drop.
I'm not sure of the specific evidence that prompted the change, but I didn't see mention of them dropping in my research for this report. Occasionally, I saw talk of "small block" or "large block," but it was pretty obvious from context that the commenters were referring to bricks.

The means of acquiring them in P99's timeline then would be by combining 3 Large Bricks of HQ ore + 1 Water Flask in a forge.