Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
Fire Giant

I mean there's not much to talk about. Knights have snap aggro and warriors have bigger dps out of the box. You can instantly fix the snap aggro issue with a bio orb (if you're in a blue or green raid guild, you probably want one anyway for ~reasons~).

I think the better comparison would be shadow knight vs paladin, because I think the paladin wins out in everything aside from race choices. Soulfire, DS being a useful raid buff, lull, root are just a really nice kit. LoH > harm touch. Shadowknight has FD with a prenerf CoS which is good, but both can group while only one has real raid utility (super beefy geared examples aside)
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean there's not much to talk about. Knights have snap aggro and warriors have bigger dps out of the box. You can instantly fix the snap aggro issue with a bio orb (if you're in a blue or green raid guild, you probably want one anyway for ~reasons~).
Bio orb is around 100k, and can be risky due to being a blind. It works, but it's not as good as a non-blind, faster cast snap agro spell. Knights are still better in this regard. Knights can use bio orb too, so it isn't a bonus unique to Warriors.

DPS necessity depends on the camp, and how many hours in a row you plan on staying at the camp. If Warrior DPS gives you one extra spawn cycle every 4 hours, you have to play for 4 hours non-stop to get that bonus. If you take a 30 minute break somehwere in that four hours, everything repops and you lose the extra repop the extra DPS would have given. DPS has thresholds on P99 due to respawn timers.

Because of this, utility often plays a bigger role over DPS in groups, unless your group DPS is really low to begin with. Ensuring your group doesn't wipe via utility increases the odds of having a session with maximum gains and no wasted time recovering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the better comparison would be shadow knight vs paladin, because I think the paladin wins out in everything aside from race choices. Soulfire, DS being a useful raid buff, lull, root are just a really nice kit. LoH > harm touch. Shadowknight has FD with a prenerf CoS which is good, but both can group while only one has real raid utility (super beefy geared examples aside)
Paladins are the better raiding Knight for sure.

In groups SK's have FD for more consistent pulling, and have pets. Pets increase DPS and provide utilities for pulling in some instances, and for pet tracking if you don't have a Druid/Bard/Ranger. Being able to run a low man group using an SK to tank and pull is nice.

Solo-wise SK's will do better than Paladins on most things that can be fear kited. Lull is nice, but a failed lull requires rooting all agroed mobs and camping, or using Divine Aura and running out of the zone. Both of these options can be tough to pull off, depending on the scenario. SK's can just FD in a bad situation.

Paladins pull ahead in the solo department when fighting solo challenge level 55+ mobs, as they cannot be fear kited. Paladin healing cannot be resisted, so they can fight longer via healing themselves.

I usually say if you want to do a good amount of raiding on a Knight, go Paladin. If you want to mostly solo and group, go SK.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; Yesterday at 10:55 AM..
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
Planar Protector

There really isn’t much of a comparison between paladin and SK unless they are both just sitting there spamming aggro spells and afk-tanking.

SKs have FD. It’s useful for sure but barely clocks in as a cute party trick compared to the paladin’s spell book: HoT, actual heals, root, stun, blind, useful buffs, rez, calm …

I feel bad for SKs. Arguably the weakest class in the game other than maybe a wizard trying to sustain dmg in a group.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
Planar Protector

I’m a huge fan of the paladin but the SK’s spell book does have situational advantages.

SK gets an instant invis item, two FD’s, snare, fear, undead lull, taps, and a pet. While a capable solo class, whether fearing or tap-tanking, they can plus-1 kill most stuff in the game and readily pull difficult zones with an easy reset button. The latter is something a Pally even with a CHA kit can’t pull off (even mine with over 230; it works 100% of the time 90% of the time). Group with a skilled SK in seb or HS and it’s EZ Mode. (Edit - I forgot about the Bobbing Corpse earring for 1k pp, one hour levitate is a nice QoL item)

You are missing some great buffs and stuns. Something arguably better to mix with a shaman. I just don’t go so far to say they are a “weak class”. They just fit into the 90% (or maybe greater) camp rather than the 10%.

They are more capable most the time than the warrior unless it has a support network. They are a set of “nice” clubs off eBay or from the local sporting good store where a warrior is a PGA grade driver. Yes, it’s “better” unless you are being asked to do more than the thing it was designed for.

Warriors can be the king of s-tier raid tanking. No argument there, they are needed. Throw 20 clerics counting to 1 or 2 at them and behold the glory. Outside that though, for most players, knights are great. Just bring a better class to AoW if you care to contribute.
Last edited by Snaggles; Yesterday at 08:03 PM..
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
5 second cast and warriors don’t have channeling. Yea sure, basically a knight. After all they only cast one spell per fight.
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
5 second cast and warriors don’t have channeling. Yea sure, basically a knight. After all they only cast one spell per fight.
Was just talking about initial snap aggro, obviously it's not a whole knight kit

I prefer the paladins kit myself but their races kinda suck. Also their epic sucks, but the SKs epic sucks too so they're even there. FD with prenerf CoS is amazeballs in some situations, I use that trick on my necro all the time

Also tossing one in for rangers, underrated when twinked, Ive seen them do ballsy shit
Last edited by fortior; Yesterday at 10:16 PM..