PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones is not that great

OMGWTF420
02-25-2013, 02:07 PM
seriously tho, i guess its ok for what it is, but what the fuck is up with all the fanboy gifs?

u guyz r dum

Taresh
02-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Shup

Loly Taa
02-25-2013, 02:09 PM
ahahahahahaha says the man with the Wayne's World avatar and signature gif.

quido
02-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Agree. Good show, but gets entirely too much hype in the nerd world.

beyondinfin
02-25-2013, 02:12 PM
What the hell is this game of thorns? Why's it bees knees?

Autotune
02-25-2013, 02:13 PM
I hear it's being turned into a book... can't wait!

Tiggles
02-25-2013, 02:21 PM

Who the fuck reads?

Rhambuk
02-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Who the fuck reads?

no one unless its on internet forums.

Autotune
02-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Who the fuck reads?

obviously you...

Aviann
02-25-2013, 02:39 PM

Wayne's World is a fucking legend! YOU TAKE BACK YOUR BLASPHEMOUS INSINUATIONS!

Alarti0001
02-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Agree. Good show, but gets entirely too much hype in the nerd world.

Agreed the books get boring after like the third too.

Hailto
02-25-2013, 03:09 PM

trolololol

Hailto
02-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Agreed the books get boring after like the third too.

Worst post you have ever made.

Taresh
02-25-2013, 03:40 PM
need more peter dinklage

OMGWTF420
02-25-2013, 03:51 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m70766rxdt1qgv9pao1_500.gif

Yibz
02-25-2013, 04:18 PM
seriously tho, i guess its ok for what it is, but what the fuck is up with all the fanboy gifs?

u guyz r dum

See Sig

Rhambuk
02-25-2013, 04:23 PM
A gun rack, what am I gonna do with a gun rack? I dont even own A gun, let alone many guns to necessitate the need for a gun rack.

Waynes World, before mike myers went all family

OMGWTF420
02-25-2013, 04:29 PM
A gun rack, what am I gonna do with a gun rack? I dont even own A gun, let alone many guns to necessitate the need for a gun rack.

So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show.

Tiggles
02-25-2013, 04:41 PM
some dumb GoT nerd started this thread too: https://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83458

why does anyone like this show?

:p

Where is your GoT gif at Sirken I can't hear you with out your gif on

Rhambuk
02-25-2013, 04:52 PM
So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show.

Lets do it OMGWTF420, lets turn this community around no more GoT all WW and WW2

Sirken
02-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Where is your GoT gif at Sirken I can't hear you with out your gif on

gif?

i LARP GoT/ASOIAF all day every day.

get on my level

Glitch
02-25-2013, 05:06 PM
more like game of frowns amirite?

Sirken
02-25-2013, 05:09 PM
more like game of frowns amirite?
no. you're wrong.

although, its much much safer to cheer against the people you hate, than it is to cheer for the ones you love in these books.

kenzar
02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
no. your wrong.

although, its much much safer to cheer against the people you hate, than it is to cheer for the ones you love in these books.

You're*

The series is shit.

Tiggles
02-25-2013, 05:11 PM
gif?

get on my level

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mai6g5dwqz1r2jn2jo1_500.jpg

don't ban me

Sirken
02-25-2013, 05:15 PM
You're*

The series is shit.

fixed for your OCD

as far as your opinion,

pot, kettle, black

Glitch
02-25-2013, 05:17 PM
no. your wrong.

I didn't mean that the content of the books or show cause me to frown due to an emotional impact. I just frown because it's not that good!

I watched season one and probably wont watch any more.

Also I'm going to be honest. I was going to call it "Game of Crowns" in a troll post, and I decided to first google it to see if it was a common joke and the first result was http://www.glitch.com

kenzar
02-25-2013, 05:18 PM
as far as your opinion,

I was speaking objectively. The series is shit, objectively.

OMGWTF420
02-25-2013, 05:26 PM
gif?

get on my level

LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT!

Sirken
02-25-2013, 06:04 PM
I was speaking objectively. The series is shit, objectively.
I didn't mean that the content of the books or show cause me to frown due to an emotional impact. I just frown because it's not that good!

I watched season one and probably wont watch any more.

Also I'm going to be honest. I was going to call it "Game of Crowns" in a troll post, and I decided to first google it to see if it was a common joke and the first result was http://www.glitch.com

in all seriousness, can i ask what you guys didnt like about it that turned u off so bad? are u just not into the genre? is it the brother-sister sex? the cannibalism? have u read the books (cuz maybe its just the actors you hate?)? did GRRM kill your dog? was it the absence of elves in a "fantasy" series? too much secret plotting?

truly curious what turned you guys off so badly, open up your heart to me

Rhambuk
02-25-2013, 06:09 PM
never seen it, nor heard of it until this morning. I'd probably like it.

Ele
02-25-2013, 06:13 PM

u guyz r dum

Either this is Alarti's AE or you two guys agree on something.

BrianXVX
02-25-2013, 07:33 PM
It's actually pretty original in that with an almost 100% certainty, the story not only goes in a different direction then the one you expected, but in a way you could never guess.

Kraftwerk
02-25-2013, 07:44 PM
in all seriousness, can i ask what you guys didnt like about it that turned u off so bad? are u just not into the genre? is it the brother-sister sex? the cannibalism? have u read the books (cuz maybe its just the actors you hate?)? did GRRM kill your dog? was it the absence of elves in a "fantasy" series? too much secret plotting?

My gut instinct is screaming troll posts, at least on Kenvar's behalf. I'm going to side with my gut on this one.

dscar23
02-25-2013, 07:58 PM
The show is solid, books are phenomenal. I enjoy the fact that nothing in the books can be predicted. In all seriousness, can someone recommend a book series close to this?

Aviann
02-25-2013, 08:00 PM
some dumb GoT nerd started this thread too: https://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83458

why does anyone like this show?

:p

Fuck GoT.

kenzar
02-25-2013, 08:26 PM

I really hate how unnecessarily verbose and descriptive Martin makes the series. Honestly if you took out all of fluff descriptions you would be left with about 2-3 books with an ok story. But instead Martin forces you through asinine pages describing what a room looks like..bleh.

To be fair, I liked the Dune series, and it is possibly the most verbose, long-winded novel I've ever seen. To me, the sci-fi setting almost requires that though. I don't know what a Atreides Ornithopter looks or sounds like, so a description is rather nice to have. In a fantasy setting though; I don't need a paragraph telling me what a certain castle looked like. I've seen castles/swords/armor, I'll just copypasta one from my memory. In fantasy I'd rather have a distilled story with as little filler as possible. The setting is familiar, my mind can fill in the blanks, I want story.

I haven't watched the show, just because I had read the first 2 books and couldn't put myself through another by the time I had heard about the HBO series. My beef is more with the author and his incessant need to stretch the tiniest mundane detail into a chapter.

kenzar
02-25-2013, 08:29 PM
I really hate how unnecessarily verbose and descriptive Martin makes the series. Honestly if you took out all of fluff descriptions you would be left with about 2-3 books with an ok story. But instead Martin forces you through asinine pages describing what a room looks like..bleh.

To be fair, I liked the Dune series, and it is possibly the most verbose, long-winded novel I've ever seen. To me, the sci-fi setting almost requires that though. I don't know what a Atreides Ornithopter looks or sounds like, so a description is rather nice to have. In a fantasy setting though; I don't need a paragraph telling me what a certain castle looked like. I've seen castles/swords/armor, I'll just copypasta one from my memory. In fantasy I'd rather have a distilled story with as little filler as possible. The setting is familiar, my mind can fill in the blanks, I want story.

I haven't watched the show, just because I had read the first 2 books and couldn't put myself through another by the time I had heard about the HBO series. My beef is more with the author and his incessant need to stretch the tiniest mundane detail into a chapter.

Also I hated how Martin would introduce a character in chapter x, and you wouldn't see that character again until chapter x+17. And even then it was just to have that character fucking die. WTf is that!?

BrianXVX
02-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Yea Kenzar he does do that, but do so a lot of other "good" authors. Ever read Lord of the Rings? Good god at the walking/travel filler mixed in. I've tried to rationalize that's what it takes to convey the feeling of how long and grueling the journey was rather then "they walked a long long time and ended up here".

BrianXVX
02-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Also I hated how Martin would introduce a character in chapter x, and you wouldn't see that character again until chapter x+17. And even then it was just to have that character fucking die. WTf is that!?

I guess that's a way to handle having so many simultaneous parallel storylines. On the other hand I swear the author has ADD because he starts up SOOO many extra story threads without concluding the ones he has. Then every now and then instead of tying them up he'll just hack them off and eliminate the whole point.

Thulack
02-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Personally EQ is the only thing in my life that is "fantasy" based. I'm for the most part a sports/comedy guy.

BrianXVX
02-25-2013, 08:54 PM
The show is solid, books are phenomenal. I enjoy the fact that nothing in the books can be predicted. In all seriousness, can someone recommend a book series close to this?

Its Sci-Fi not Fantasy but Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series is really good. Not long winded, good storyline, and 'accurate' science.

It's so well written that I had no idea how old it was while I was reading it, even being a science buff. It was only after the odd description of what sounded like a computer did I realize it was 1942-1944, even before the first transistor was invented.

Kagatob
02-26-2013, 02:08 AM
Wayne's World is a fucking legend! YOU TAKE BACK YOUR BLASPHEMOUS INSINUATIONS!

Splorf22
02-26-2013, 02:41 AM

Probably because every character spends literally all of their time being brutally emotionally tortured? I don't understand how anyone with a decent amount of empathy for their fellow man can like the show at all.

Theon has been tortured repeatedly by Ramsay Bolton. Ramsay removes the skin on several of Theon's toes and fingers, leaving him in agony for days before removing the joints but only after Theon begs him to remove them. He broke and removed several of Theon's teeth because Ramsay hated his smiles. It is also implied, but not confirmed, that Ramsay removes Theon's genitals as well. Theon is forced to take on the guise of Reek, Ramsay's former serving man. Theon is forbidden to bathe and is caked from head to toe in filth and excrement.

Due to the torture he endured at Ramsay's hands, Theon's appearance has dramatically changed. He looks like he has aged forty years and several of his teeth have been knocked out, many more are loose meaning Theon cant even eat without suffering agony. Theon has lost three stone in weight, his skin has turned pasty, and his hair is white and brittle. He can no longer use a bow due to the loss of some fingers and hobbles like an old man due to the loss of several toes

And that is just the beginning: Circe cuckolds the king, Joffery beats Sansa constantly, Jaime pushes Bran out of a window (and doesn't kill him of course, that would be nice) leaving him paralyzed, The Hound has his face half burned away by his older brother, Snow is banished to the north, Jaime loses his hand, Tyrion kills his father, hell even the fucking dire wolves are killed. My point is that its not just that characters are killed, its that they continue to live on in misery. I've heard that his inspiration for GoT was the war of the roses. That was bloody as hell, but the point is they just killed people back then. But of course we are so modern now that we don't care. For comparison, here is Shakespeare on the war of the roses. The Lancastrians have killed Richard the Duke of York's son, so he delivers a great soliloquy expressing his grief and promising revenge.

She-wolf of France, but worse than wolves of France,
Whose tongue more poisons than the adder's tooth!
How ill-beseeming is it in thy sex
To triumph, like an Amazonian trull,
Upon their woes whom fortune captivates!
But that thy face is, vizard-like, unchanging,
Made impudent with use of evil deeds,
I would assay, proud queen, to make thee blush.
To tell thee whence thou camest, of whom derived,
Were shame enough to shame thee, wert thou not shameless.
Thy father bears the type of King of Naples,
Of both the Sicils and Jerusalem,
Yet not so wealthy as an English yeoman.
Hath that poor monarch taught thee to insult?
It needs not, nor it boots thee not, proud queen,
Unless the adage must be verified,
That beggars mounted run their horse to death.
'Tis beauty that doth oft make women proud;
But, God he knows, thy share thereof is small:
'Tis virtue that doth make them most admired;
The contrary doth make thee wonder'd at:
'Tis government that makes them seem divine;
The want thereof makes thee abominable:
Thou art as opposite to every good
As the Antipodes are unto us,
Or as the south to the septentrion.
O tiger's heart wrapt in a woman's hide!
How couldst thou drain the life-blood of the child,
To bid the father wipe his eyes withal,
And yet be seen to bear a woman's face?
Women are soft, mild, pitiful and flexible;
Thou stern, obdurate, flinty, rough, remorseless.
Bids't thou me rage? why, now thou hast thy wish:
Wouldst have me weep? why, now thou hast thy will:
For raging wind blows up incessant showers,
And when the rage allays, the rain begins.
These tears are my sweet Rutland's obsequies:
And every drop cries vengeance for his death,
'Gainst thee, fell Clifford, and thee, false
Frenchwoman.

Shakespeare's history plays are bloody as all hell but they are also not nearly so negative. Which is one of the many reasons he's a million times better than GRRM, even 500 years before :D

Jaxsz
02-26-2013, 03:20 AM
I can't fathom how a person could read this series and not enjoy it. It makes all other fantasy pointless to read, IMO

finalgrunt
02-26-2013, 03:22 AM
It's a story from an american author with a medieval background.

And you expect it to be somehow accurate? Some like to only use some obscure Middle Age stories to fuel their imagination with violence, misogyny etc.

The thing is, they don't have a clue about how it really was. For obvious reasons, Shakespeare knew it better :D

myriverse
02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
It's a story from an american author with a medieval background.

And you expect it to be somehow accurate? Some like to only use some obscure Middle Age stories to fuel their imagination with violence, misogyny etc.

The thing is, they don't have a clue about how it really was. For obvious reasons, Shakespeare knew it better :D
Medieval life was a lot more like GRRM than Shakespeare.

kenzar
02-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Medieval life was a lot more like GRRM than Shakespeare.

I'm going to channel Alarti for a moment and ask for proof. Proof?

Bodeanicus
02-26-2013, 01:58 PM

So, you want the vanilla hero's journey, where you know who's the good guy, the bad guy, and who is going to live and die on a journey for some McGuffin to kill the big bad ugly. The same shit that's been written since Gilgamesh. Yeah, that's fantastic.

Taresh
02-26-2013, 03:18 PM

I'm going to channel Harrison for a moment and call you a fucking retard.

Fucking retard.

kenzar
02-26-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm going to channel Harrison for a moment and call you a fucking retard.

Fucking retard.

ad hominem, the best defense.

Halfelfbard
02-26-2013, 03:58 PM
GOT rocks my socks.

Hitchens
02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
I have opinions to share with the Internet.

myriverse
02-26-2013, 06:46 PM
LOL! Open a history book. Any one will do. Shakespeare's plays, even the tragedies, had a hefty dose of romanticism to them and glossed over what life was really like. They were all candy-coated daytime soaps of their day that were meant to take people away from the horror of their lives (they were written for the illiterate--really, really illiterate-- masses of the day). Today, practically everybody lives a dream compared to anything in the Middle Ages, so naturally, they want to be taken away to the gloom.

Splorf22
02-26-2013, 07:12 PM
And why were the people of the middle ages so miserable?

Alarti0001
02-26-2013, 07:42 PM
And why were the people of the middle ages so miserable?

No wifi

FFA_Seller
02-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Books TL;DR
Robb Stark dies, Jon Snow dies, Joffrey dies, Catelyn dies, Tywin Lannister dies, Lyssa dies, Lord Mormont dies, Gregor Clegane dies

Enjoy the show!

kenzar
02-26-2013, 09:56 PM
LOL! Open a history book. Any one will do. Shakespeare's plays, even the tragedies, had a hefty dose of romanticism to them and glossed over what life was really like. They were all candy-coated daytime soaps of their day that were meant to take people away from the horror of their lives (they were written for the illiterate--really, really illiterate-- masses of the day). Today, practically everybody lives a dream compared to anything in the Middle Ages, so naturally, they want to be taken away to the gloom.

Shakespeare is 16th/17th century. Thats 100 years after anything considered medieval/middle ages. Why would people watch a candy-coated daytime soap to take away from the horror of their families lives 100 years ago? I'm not arguing that his depictions might be a bit romanticized, but this is the renassiance era, nearly the enlightenment era we are talking about, given the lifespan of a human back then the people watching the Shakespeare plays were 2-3 generations removed from the middle ages. Maybe you should open a history book.

Clark
02-26-2013, 09:59 PM
The first episode didn't have enough action for me no offense. Am I seriously missing out? It can't be that good?

kenzar
02-26-2013, 10:02 PM

the burden of proof is on the person making the claim. Proof?

Bodeanicus
02-27-2013, 12:08 AM
History books and common fucking sense?

Rubicent
02-27-2013, 12:14 AM
game of thrones isnt that good

u guyz r dum

THANK YOU

OMGWTF420
02-27-2013, 12:23 AM
THANK YOU

you're welcome.

dragonfists
02-27-2013, 02:27 AM
I have never seen GoT, but I'm going to give it a shot and watch it before summer gets here.

Also, Wayne's World will be a forever classic.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lscwuwyVSE1qmaa05o1_500.gif

OMGWTF420
02-27-2013, 10:57 AM
I have never seen GoT, but I'm going to give it a shot and watch it before summer gets here.

Also, Wayne's World will be a forever classic.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lscwuwyVSE1qmaa05o1_500.gif

way

FFA_Seller
02-27-2013, 12:22 PM
It's a soap opera with swords