PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous: Exp range for mobs.

Xenephex
06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I thought I had noticed this the first time I levelled a character in EC, but when I levelled my Shaman there I decided to check for sure:

At level 8 all of 'a young puma' are green, non-aggro and non-exp giving. At level 9 many (most) of them are light blue, aggro and exp giving. Also at level 8, many 'a black bear' (maybe half) were green, non-aggro and non-exp giving, while the other half were dark blue. At level 9 they all seem to have turned light blue.

In short, some mobs that do not give exp to a level 8 do give exp to a level 9.

Also, this may be a client side issue, but light blue mobs are not classic. There were just blue and after a certain level, a couple levels of exp giving greens. I do note that there are still exp giving greens in the game.

Lazortag
06-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I have never noticed this issue - maybe it's new since the last patch?

YendorLootmonkey
06-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Also, this may be a client side issue, but light blue mobs are not classic. There were just blue and after a certain level, a couple levels of exp giving greens. I do note that there are still exp giving greens in the game.

The "con color" is client side. The server is already passing the level of the mob to the client, the client is merely measuring the variance and assigning the "con color" appropriately. It would be inefficient n00btastic netcode for the server to send both the mob's level and the mob's "con color" to the client, as the latter is directly related to the former.

Gorgetrapper
06-11-2010, 06:55 PM
The "con color" is client side. The server is already passing the level of the mob to the client, the client is merely measuring the variance and assigning the "con color" appropriately. It would be inefficient n00btastic netcode for the server to send both the mob's level and the mob's "con color" to the client, as the latter is directly related to the former.

Wrong.

The way it works is, you don't begin to see light blue con mobs until level 9. Any green con mob before then is simply that, green, which yields no exp. Now, when you hit 9, you start to see light blue mobs, and those once green mobs, are now light blue and will finally yield you exp.

YendorLootmonkey
06-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Wrong.

The way it works is, you don't begin to see light blue con mobs until level 9. Any green con mob before then is simply that, green, which yields no exp. Now, when you hit 9, you start to see light blue mobs, and those once green mobs, are now light blue and will finally yield you exp.

How is what you said related to anything that I said about client-server communication?

Chicka
06-12-2010, 02:51 AM
I have got exp from greens both on live and project1999. Uguk as an example of where this is possible.

apio
06-12-2010, 02:00 PM
yeah in upper guk you can tell if something will give you exp if they agro you.

And to stay on topic, I have noticed the same thing in Ecommons at the level u described. Stuff going from green back to light blue, once you level to 9

even if its explainable how this actually happens it still seemed kind of weird to me when it happened the first time :)

BTW i think this isn't solely an issue in those zones, just those are the places you "usually" are at on these levels

Elysium
06-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Wrong.

Did you even read what he wrote?

girth
06-12-2010, 05:18 PM
If you notice on the green cons that agro you and give experience - they give a slightly different text in their con message.

Also - I believe these type of green cons are only available at certain levels, no idea which though.

Xenephex
06-12-2010, 06:00 PM
I understand about experience giving green cons. I understand that it is only after a certain level that you start to see experience giving green cons. I understand that one way to tell for many kos mobs is whether or not they aggro when they are green. This is not about that (although it is peripherally involved).

This is about mobs NOT giving any experience to a level 8, but giving experience to a level 9, which I hope everyone would see the problem with.

In fact, now that I think about it, since you apparently do add one level of exp giving greens at level 9 AND at least one level of non-exp giving greens turns light blue at that level, it really appears that you suddenly get TWO whole lower levels of mobs that did not give exp at 8, but do give exp at 9.

girth
06-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Are you sure at level 9 there are exp giving greens? I don't recall seeing any until like late teens.

Either way, this is how it was, so I don't understand what your point is now that you understand light blue starts at 9. Yeah it's weird, it was weird back then too.

girth
06-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I understand that one way to tell for many kos mobs is whether or not they aggro when they are green.

Or just read the text instead of looking at the color and dismissing it as green con. There is a difference in text when it will still agro you.

Xenephex
06-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Currently banging my head against a wall.

Kraun
06-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Lets pretend the puma's are Level 5.

At lvl 8 the level 5 mobs are not giving exp.
At lvl 9 the level 5 mobs are giving exp.

does that make the problem clearer?

Phallax
06-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Yea you guys are totally failing at what hes trying to explain...

Why should a higher level gain experience from the same mob that a lower level isnt?

apio
06-13-2010, 06:55 AM
yea thats the basic question here, the thread got kind of derailed by the green mobs giving exp thing which is the result of the same mechanics that the cause the "problem".

The thing is, as you level up, the range of mobs below your level that give you exp gets bigger and bigger. It's the same thing with people you group with, the higher level you get the higher the range of levels gets in which they can be in your group and still get exp. In fact, I guess its the same level range for both those scenarios. It's weird that a level 9 character gets exp for something that a level 8 won't get exp for, but thats just normal game mechanics that just pops out because EC is an outdoor zone, and Pumas that didn't agro you on level 8 suddenly agro you again on level 9.