PDA

View Full Version : After Velious

Pages : [1] 2

mixxit
06-05-2010, 02:22 PM
So let's start a thread for my own interest!

What do you want to see happen after velious?

This should include storyline/gameplay/feature set etc.

Additional Rules: Just post once and do not comment on others posts so it's a nice informative thread.

Uaellaen
06-05-2010, 02:25 PM
luclin

eqholmes
06-05-2010, 02:25 PM
I would like to stick to the whole velious idea of gaints/dorfs/dragons. Add another dung like kael and make it a huge learning curve and basically impossible without full on ntov and other high end items of velious. This is kinda where I thought on live they should have taken it, but instead they took it to the moon with snakes and tigers :(

Taxi
06-05-2010, 02:29 PM
PVP:

(totally different experience to lvl up with pvp, so i can see people rerolling, and it takes way longer to lvl so people would be occupied for a long time)

- Guild wars. Either plain ole regular GW, or something like special guild wars where if your guild gets flagged by your guild leader, then your guild is at war with every other guild on the server which is also flagged in the same way.

- Possibly in the form of reds being able to group with blues to lvl, so its not such a pain in the ass to go red.

- Project M (name?) Possibly players being able to control monsters in events, something like an orc raid on Freeport, spider infestation in Erudin. This could also be NPC mobs but just trying to throw ideas out there.

-------------------

- Custom events like the Halloween 2001 one, with custom mobs and custom loot.

YendorLootmonkey
06-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Plane of Naughty Wood Elf Women
Plane of Kinky Dark Elf Women
Plane of Dirty High Elf Women

(and for the 3-4 ladies on the server... Plane of Topless Barbarian Men)

girth
06-05-2010, 02:40 PM
luclin or allow boxing once velious has been out long enough

Kluren
06-05-2010, 02:51 PM
luclin

Nah. I am all in favor of the direction that a straight on full staffed Verant would have taken it....

Spare us on the moon please.

Ingrum
06-05-2010, 02:54 PM

I concur

garyogburn
06-05-2010, 03:13 PM
I definitley see it becomming more Pvp oriented here once velious has been out for awhile. Since new gear wouldnt be interoduced, it would be pretty even.

Id prefer p1999 dev-created content though :) that would rock.

Arkanjil
06-05-2010, 03:14 PM
I would like to stick to the whole velious idea of gaints/dorfs/dragons. Add another dung like kael and make it a huge learning curve and basically impossible without full on ntov and other high end items of velious. This is kinda where I thought on live they should have taken it, but instead they took it to the moon with snakes and tigers :(

I have to agree with Holmes, but also add luclin type AA into a new expansion. Maybe make another continent full of new dragons, dungeons, and mobs with a classic focus and a velious-type feel.

It would kind of be like uncovering the entire world of Norrath slowly, but surely.

holkan
06-05-2010, 03:15 PM
luclin *i realize this wont happen lol* or custom content doesn't matter so long as there is SOMETHING to do besides standing around.

also man you guys are bad at following rules like 4 posts in and you're already commenting on peoples suggestions like he said not to do.

Kerrik
06-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I believe that most of the expansions had at least something of value to offer, even if they did get rediculous about dumbing the game down later on. I'd like to hope that if most of the players and developers here worked together, we could come up with a way to keep the elements we like, and leave out the elements we agree watered down EQ later on.

Just one example might be to eventually open Luclin, but change the storyline such that Luclin takes place someplace other than the moon. Perhaps another continent, or an alternate world, whatever the majority would find best fitting with the flavor of EQ. Elements like the Bazaar and Nexus transporters might be left out, or changed. The Vah Shir and Beastlords may or may not be added in to the game, depending upon the majority opinion.

The point is that we have probably got 1000+ people that are taking part in this project if we're exceeding 700 players at peak. We're obviously pretty enthusiastic about this game if we're willing/eager to take part in an emulator of a game that is "ancient" by the ADHD standards of most games these days. There is no reason that we cannot come up with some ways to continue to extend the game while keepimg the essence of what we believe Everquest to be. No, we won't all agree on every proposal, but I think we can come to a better solution than development being driven by execs whose main concern is a quarterly profit sheet (i.e. Sony).

Alleusion
06-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I know I'm in a minority here when I say Luclin. I like the Vah Shirs, I liked some of the raid content there. I feel that overall, it was a throughly unused expansion though. The zones you traveled in, with the exception of a rare few, were dead zones. People passing through to get from the Nexus to the next raid zone. I feel that the creatures were given more then we could handle at the time in terms of health and abilites and players wanted the tried and true.

And as one of the 3 - 4 females on the server, I'd like to say that I prefer dark elves over barbarians.

Thoughtseize
06-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Luclin

Skope
06-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Would love to see some AA's and perhaps GM-created dungeon(s).

They don't have to be the same AA's from Luclin that we had on live, they may be somewhat overpowered for velious content/gear, but some AA's would certainly be awesome

Bumamgar
06-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Luclin, without bazaar or Nexus transporters. Ssra and VT were some of my all-time favorite raid content.

Ethanblack
06-05-2010, 03:35 PM
I would love to see playable gnolls, sarnaks, kobolds .ect as new races available, along with home continents!
Also, AA's,

Malrubius
06-05-2010, 03:42 PM
I want what the devs have already announced will happen. That's why I play here.

If I wanted something else, I wouldn't play here.

matahari
06-05-2010, 03:42 PM
I think after velious is out for 18 months or w/e.
Make a new dungeon with new loot that has cool looks and or different stats. But doesn't make the other gear in the game obsolete. Doesn't have to be a dungeon either could be an outside zone with new camps. Make rare spawns and Ultra rare spawns. With rare loot and ultra rare loot and Hugge loot tables. To give people something to seek for a long time. Items that would drop maybe once or twice a year. I would love if it was in line with gnolls and lizards and dragons and tigers ooo my. Make a large part of it easy enough to do for casuals even small groups. Than add 1 or 2 raid targets. Also full group content with ultra rare pops. In the zones there should also be very rare zone wide drops. Just like sebilis. This would stop people from just camping 1 or 2 spawns and fighting. Just my thoughts :) Would add more but back to the game : ) hehe.

I really wouldn't mind if it is just up to the end of velious. That would give tons to do for years for non-hardcore raiders. Even they could make alts. I wish the content would be worked on to classic perfection before adding anything custom years after velious : )
I don't want luclin because than it won't be a classic server anymore. Every other server has luclin just use those servers.

ribaldron
06-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I like the idea of "doing EQ right" - custom content. Steal some of the newer zones if you have to!

Velious was alright, but just leaving it there for eternity would sort of ruin it imo.

Also, you could consider adding the AA system without the rest of Luclin. :cool:

Tocs
06-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Luclin

anthony210
06-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Luclin

Gwence
06-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Luclin, glorious Luclin!

Tseng
06-05-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm totally down for Luclin. We're talking about a long amount of time (years) before that would ever happen, too. Keep that in mind.

Dantes
06-05-2010, 04:32 PM
To be honest, if I'm worried about what happens after Velious then I have played this damn game way too much and should probably stop. Hopefully by that point, I will have moved on to some other obsession.

rioisk
06-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I suggest custom content inspired by EQ classic. Use zone files from other expansion and create dungeons/encounters that are in line with classic feel.

I suggest AA's but not many of them. Perhaps something like 50? Don't make the AA bonuses extreme either, just minor upgrades to give incentive to continue leveling after max level. Bring beast lords/zerkers at some point as well as the vah shir (but call them kerra and make their hometown where kerra ridge is now....nobody uses that dungeon anyways). Make them mortal enemies of the erudite =P.

Make it so the sleeper awakening starts a chain of events leading to a new expansion directly related to his awakening like dragon wars on some island between velious and kunark.

I would like to see the planes in PoP because I think they're in line with EQ story (wouldn't make sense to just stick with fear/hate/sky) Don't make the expansion with the plane of knowledge and such though, but make the planes accessible from wiz ports or special portals spread throughout norrath. Don't dare ever trivialize travel.

ooantipostoo
06-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Catch sony's attention, have them sponsor the server but keep our existing Dev's. So now Dev's have funding and we don't get sony's BS Dev's that don't give a rats ass.

I wouldn't be against paying a monthly fee.

vinx
06-05-2010, 05:58 PM
yea, i like PoP w/o PoK, and AA's up to w/e level you would go to.
Make PoK a 46+ zone and disable all those stones to the cities in there to link up to the planes in PoT (and put the PoT quests into pok) All gear/items would be no drop or required level 50+, All zones, past velious should be flagged or required levels so you dont see a trickle back effect to the classic 3.

Raid progression, is where all the good eye candy drops are spose to be anyway.
Sure, a nostalgic player will see twink items from bosses in the classic 3 on alts, but they wont see super ridiculous gear/items from 3 expansions later on some level 35 that they wont be able to attain for some time, if ever, this would help keep nostalgic era stuff somewhat nostalgic.
(keep high end gear on high end players and classic in its respected areas)

Luclin has to many casual low zones in the mix, Dont make the mistake sony did by releasing expansion after expansion that can be casually played with new cities, it just dumbs things down (and it wont stick to a semi classic style, the old cities would die just like live)
I dont think everyone wants to relive ALL of everquest...just relive classic and the few early expansions.
New scripts/encounters/direction, if well thought out would rock imo

eqdruid76
06-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Yikes, this worries me.

I'd much rather you concentrate on ironing out the bugs in the content that's live, and make Kunark as bug-free and polished as possible at launch, than speculating on how to deviate from the entire purpose of the server altogether in 2 years, which was always Sony's biggest error.

A lot of people play on this server because of the assertation that it stops at Velious. I won't say the majority, for it seems that at least the "vocal" majority here wants custom, non-legit content, a focus on non-classic pvp and ease of play....something they can already get on any number of other private servers. But at any rate, I honestly believe the reasons Project1999 is so popular is that it's classic EQ without custom content. And I fear if the server deviates from its intended purpose, the numbers may fall.

girth
06-05-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm breaking the rules cause I'm a rebel.

eqdruid - all I have to say is

Leokaiser
06-05-2010, 07:28 PM
I too am for Luclin-done-right. Use the same zones minus those that negated the Classic feeling (i.e The Nexus and Bazzar). Retune items, content and AAs to reduce the gap between Luclin and previous expansions. Basically, carrying on from Velious following the path set by The Vision.

People will either stop playing because the game continues past Velious and is no longer 'Classic', or because it doesn't and stagnates. Some people won't be happy either way.

Reiker
06-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Basically, carrying on from Velious following the path set by The Vision.
An expansion very similar to PoP was planned after Velious instead of Luclin.

Muergan
06-05-2010, 08:05 PM
I definately feel that sony ruined the game I love and we have a chance to make it right this time around. First off, please don't dumb down the game or make it easy ever. We also have to keep the world feeling big. You should have to run places not use and book. Also the economy tanked when the bazaar opened it took out the whole aspect of trade/barter, and made the game less personal. While I agree that luclin and PoP were awsome expansion, and every expansion had something to offfer, I do not think they should be released. Instead I think the Devs should mold them into a more classic theme, somethign more believable. I also think that the planes should be the ultimate goal and the game should end with them. However, why can't we make the plans expansions in themselves? For example, have multiple zones varying in dificulty that you must progress through in order to face the god ruling over them. One possiblility would be to open the door in the hole after killing Master yael. Also the Plane of Time I always envision differently in regards to what it is. I think that plane could open up all new possibilities because EQ has a lush history dating pre classic and even in the furture. Why not make the plane of time a gateway to the past and furture? Relive past events such as the great combine empire, or the explosion at the Hole. There are so many things that could be done with the Plane of Time, and it should all be progression based. As for the game play it self AAs should most definately be introduced , but modified a little. No other game has come close to making a system like AAs that let you continue to strive to be better once your maxed in level. Also don't go adding in all these new spells for the lower levels because it makes the game way to easy. Keep the starting cities so the old world can still be useful and remain populated. There is definately alot about EQlive that we can build off of, but peices must be used instead of the whole. You can reuse zones just in different places/storyline/creatures.

mixxit
06-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Great suggestions so far guys, keep em coming!

Here's some I loved!:
* New content added should be on the existing continents and not lots of new zones
* Implement planar access in a similiar fashion to Hate, Fear and Sky
* Do not make Velious end game content obsolete
* Create custom AAs and implement them in a different way
* Add more Player-to-Player Orientated content, PVP, Coop etc
* Do not make the game easy
* Do not change our current trading system (East Commonlands)
* Bring back some of the favourite luclin zones (Bring Ssra back to Norrath? Overthere maybe?)
* More dragons
* If races from other expansions are added keep them old world (Kerra Ridge was one idea)
* Never trivialise travel (Pok Books, Nexus etc)
* Playable Monsters - See Project M (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=21465)
* Implement Dirty High Elf Women

Lukan
06-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Make "The Hole" Deeper!

JazzineCleric
06-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Now I enjoyed Luclin and all, but I kinda like the idea of keeping it on Norrath. Iron out whatever bugs there are and keep it interesting without throwing in space cats and all that. And please, don't make this PvP prominent. I enjoy this server because its PvE.

mixxit
06-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by mixxit

Just to clarify

Qaedain
06-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I would eventually like to see some of the zone revamps that made their way into EQ get done in P99. The VP revamp, for example, was nice without totally compromising the game or radically altering content that was still in use for people.

I absolutely agree that travel should *never* be trivialized. In that regard, I would love to see Alter Plane spells that lead to some PoP planes that have been retuned for the gear at the time.

I always loved the concept of Hate, Fear, Nature, etc., and I always thought it would be incredible if that idea were extended outwards through the planes of other gods. I liked the fundamental concept behind Planes of Power (some of my favorite raid content), but I didn't necessarily enjoy the execution. It lost a lot of flavor in the game.

I would appreciate the gradual introduction of spells offered by later expansions up to the current level cap. Later xpacs, for example, released focus items for spells. Mages had foci they could summon. If the level cap were 60, perhaps the scrolls up to level 60 could be introduced.

I know they were gimmicky, but I also enjoyed SoE's "fabled" items. I may be sick in the head, but I loved hanging out with friends and camping an item, and the Fabled items were a great time for me.

Moving along, I thought the idea of the Taelosia continent was great. Conceptually, it was no different from explorers stumbling upon the continents of Kunark or Velious. Story-wise, however, it made no sense because an undiscovered continent would have been very obvious from the surface of Luclin. The fact that this continent came years after Luclin was introduced spoke of desperation.

Imagine, however, what Taelosia could have been if executed with the skill and expertise of people who love the game, not money-hungry developers trying to prop up a dying cashcow. Taelosia could have been a fantastic opportunity to continue a great many story lines.

Just some thoughts.

vinx
06-05-2010, 09:49 PM
And please, don't make this PvP prominent. I enjoy this server because its PvE.
Make "Planes of Power" mean something and enable planar pvp lol
One things for sure, to keep from following Sony's degrading path you would have to customize at some point.

setver
06-05-2010, 09:51 PM

If the server does keep progressing, velious would be obsoleted. Not quickly I'm sure. Each raid progression/encounter/level needs to be harder than the previous and have better rewards, even if its 5-10hp/mana or couple ac etc. Even on live, some guilds would raid 1-2 expansions before for gear for this reason alone, it might have not have been the BEST, but it was still close enough. That and 72 ppl would raid a boss and get 3-4 items lol.

On AA's, I wouldn't mind if you started some on velious personally. Kunark raises the cap to 60, so I wouldn't mind velious doing some aas, even if its just the normal +2 to stats, tradeskills, food/water lasting longer.. resists. You could look at the general/archtype and chose the ones that you guys felt weren't too strong. I mean like.. Innate Lung Capacity
Increases your lung capacity by 10%, 25%, and 50%. but probably not Combat Stability
Increases your melee damage mitigation by 2%, 5%, and 10%. Each subsequent expansion slightly raising the bars, but not exponentially.

girth
06-05-2010, 09:59 PM

Does that mean like PoP zones that you can go to from old world? That would be AMAZING, but it would end Velious' reign as top content.

It would be awesome though, you could come up with hard to reach places for the zone in's kind of like plane of mischief. Not to mention PoP raiding was the shit, its just everything else about it that sucked - PoK and such.

Phallax
06-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Luclin wouldnt hurt. It brought a new element to the game and didnt destroy it. IMO some of the best raiding, altho millions of HPs was in luclin/PoP. Maybe not include Nexus scions so finding a port to luclin back and forth isnt as trivial.

For PoP dont add books, and dont add all the zones could do stuff like.

*Level 46+ required.
*All items are NO DROP
*PoTranq doesnt exist.
*Access to PoEarth the the gate at the bottom of the Hole behind Yael.
*Access to PoWater in Kedge in Phinny's room.
*Access to PoFire somewhere in Burning Woods.
*Access to PoAir in Velks Lab.

The possibilites are endless with an active Dev team that cares about what the players want and wont ruin the game, unlike Verant/Sony did.

Kyronix
06-05-2010, 10:16 PM
I too am for Luclin-done-right. Use the same zones minus those that negated the Classic feeling (i.e The Nexus and Bazzar). Retune items, content and AAs to reduce the gap between Luclin and previous expansions. Basically, carrying on from Velious following the path set by The Vision.

People will either stop playing because the game continues past Velious and is no longer 'Classic', or because it doesn't and stagnates. Some people won't be happy either way.

Ahhh, we are all here for the glory days. The days when everquest was "Done Right" and thats the problem. Luclin was where people really started getting divided on how content should not only be produced, but run and implemented.

Before I give my opinion (yeah I know, too many of these already without any action) I'm gonna kind of lay out a few things the way I see it.

Like I stated, Luclin was where I really started to see people get discouraged by the direction the game was going, and like many above, it wasn't so much the raid content or the shinies that people didnt like, but the BS zones and the dumbing down of the game. Talking about BS zones, I think pludal was terrible because it was basically where you went from like 5 to 40 in one straight line and that sucked. There was no having to change zones every few levels in order to find the new hot exp and explore your way to it. However a zone like Marus Seru that had a rather closely defined Level range was amazing for the lowly soloing shadowknight gaining a few exp's in his late 20's (or was it early) on some rockhoppers. Then afterwards going back to some old world content for your 30's. Switching around and exploring and so on.

This is what I think made Classic so appealing, it wasn't a straight shot to max level and beating the game like current MMO's. It was a journey and an accomplishment in itself to actually progress in general. There was no WoW style quest in GFay saying "I see you are X level, you may wanna talk to my buddy Snarglefargle in Crushbone, he may have a task for you." You didn't know when to go to crushbone, shit you didn't even know there was a crushbone, but when you found it you were in awe of the Orc stronghold you stumbled upon. The increasing difficulty as you got further in. Not being able to get very far upon first entering and having an undying curiousity of wondering what was behind the hill, then what was behind the door, and finally what was up the hall behind the throne.

IT WAS THRILLING! to say the least. And you did that, you accomplished that, it was your small victory but a victory none the less. And the big mobs in the zone had a prize! There were rewards if you were lucky enough to kill the Emperor and he happened to be carrying something valuable. And it was fulfilling and amazing. This was lost on players unless you were in the endgame raiding zones when it came to later expansions.

Next thoughts are about AA’s. AA’s I thought were absolutely AWESOME, at first! But as time went on it was all about the grind for a higher number and maxing them all. They were a dime a dozen and in stead of one point getting you a level or rank in something a few buying you a huge rank of something, you were spending more and more points because of the ease to farm them.

The basic stats increasing and such was kinda stupid, even the archetype with crits and things were annoying and didn’t really add anything to the game. However Run speed was amazingly important and useful, and the Class specific abilities were also in my opinion a neat thing to shoot for. Just like Having certain high level spells drop off mobs rather than being available from a vendor, or requiring research, these abilities were something you had to put in time and prerequisites for. My free horse as a Shadowknight although the envy of many a caster, was frankly awesome and it kinda made sense (an unholy KNIGHT) same with paladin’s and their White Horse. Also improvements upon the Harm Touch via the AA system were awesome. So the class specific implementations were kinda cool but beyond that they were all a little stale.

As for full user created content beyond Velious, I think it would take WAY too much time and effort with the creation, debugging and implementation of a whole expansion. Although I for one would love to see Original content with the classic spirit, I have a feeling that taking the current content available (up through PoP at least) and tweaking it WITH user content and input we could make it as a community, as close to perfect as would be possible in a democratic-ish society. Many votes, many testings, and above all, there would be a LOT of donated hours and hard nights toiling away, basically taking on a second job for little to no pay other than our thanks and some recognition.

To summarize a little bit, as much as I would love original user content, I would also love to re-experience Luclin and Pop with a thriving population along with the tweaks to make it more of a Classic feel as well. And logistically speaking, doing it this way would be much simpler and have a much greater chance of success.

I am still in awe of Rogean, Nilbog, and others who actually had the drive and know how to implement these boon’s to gaming and the Classic Everquest community. We owe them all a debt of gratitude among other things, and they have enough on their plates with Classic, Kunark and Velious Coming out. If we were to build a larger team for the specific purpose of Developing content and/or doing what Nilbog and Rogean do, then we could discuss and plan what will happen after Velious. The present course with slight adjustment and retune’s seems to be the logical progression with our resources at hand.

Omnimorph
06-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Luclin wouldnt hurt. It brought a new element to the game and didnt destroy it. IMO some of the best raiding, altho millions of HPs was in luclin/PoP. Maybe not include Nexus scions so finding a port to luclin back and forth isnt as trivial.

For PoP dont add books, and dont add all the zones could do stuff like.

*Level 46+ required.
*All items are NO DROP
*PoTranq doesnt exist.
*Access to PoEarth the the gate at the bottom of the Hole behind Yael.
*Access to PoWater in Kedge in Phinny's room.
*Access to PoFire somewhere in Burning Woods.
*Access to PoAir in Velks Lab.

The possibilites are endless with an active Dev team that cares about what the players want and wont ruin the game, unlike Verant/Sony did.

Haha, i like some of this. But PoAir should be a portal on island 1.5 in PoSky :3

PoFire could be portal from temple of sol ro.

water in kedge works well, Earth at bottom of the hole behind a mob that DT's? not too keen on that, but ... hole is a good choice.

Depends how the server pans out over the next few expansions i suppose.

Scrubby McGee
06-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I'd like to see velious be around for a year, and then a server wipe and start over from classic

Phallax
06-05-2010, 11:34 PM
I'd like to see velious be around for a year, and then a server wipe and start over from classic

Its already been stated they wont wipe, but instead possibly start up a 2nd server as an option to start over.

Qaedain
06-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Surely there's a more creative way to compellingly continue the game than razing the city and starting anew with shanties.

Haynar
06-05-2010, 11:49 PM
If we do anything post-velious, it should be what SOE/VI should have done. Not what they did with Luclin. I am against the going to the moon concept.

I am all for custom content beyond Velious. But that would make the server no longer classic. But after 3 years, we may be ready for something different.

I hate to take something from WOW, but instanced battlegrounds, could help keep people entertained.

Making certain zones temporary hotzones (hotzone = PVP) would be another idea. A lot of work would need done to prevent cheating/hacking if anything PVP is done.

Haynar

Caldwin
06-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Being a casual player, both then on the live servers and now on this one, I felt Luclin was where things started going down hill.

Like others posted, I felt travel became trivial with Luclin. It may have not been that bad if you could only have traveled to and from the moon from one spot in the old world. That would still mean having to travel to the transport site (Nexus). In this way, you couldn't use the moon to quickly get from one spot in the old world to another.

I never really paid much attention to the bazaar. I really was never interested in trade that much, so it didn't affect me. But, I can see how it could ruin the trade market. I would say no to the bazaar.

Another thing I noticed was a change in the overall feel of the game as one expansion after another came out. The focus became all about the end game. It seemed all about the raids and the items that go along with it. The lower levels were just a means to get to the raids and high end content. It seemed like it was all rushed. It just seemed to me that either there were few new players discovering the game for the first time, or they just didn't care to explore the game. What ever it was, the old world zones were becoming more and more vacant. Being a casual player, I felt left behind. By the time I stopped playing in 2006 (and not really all that much after 2004), my highest character was only in the mid 20s. Hopefully, this time around, I can make it much further and explore areas I didn't get to the first time around. I started on this server in March and already have a lvl 17 mage and lvl 12 druid.

So, imo, whatever they do after Velious has to do the following:

1) Do not trivialize travel.
2) Don't ruin the economy.
3) Don't make the game such that the lower levels are just a means to get to the endgame. In other words, don't trivialize the lower levels.

Starklen
06-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Release plane of sky.

Qaedain
06-06-2010, 12:18 AM
3) Don't make the game such that the lower levels are just a means to get to the endgame. In other words, don't trivialize the lower levels.

On that note, I think the most effective route to supporting this goal would be to ensure that involved and interesting quests continue to be available for individuals and groups. The game died when it was no longer possible/compelling to pursue interesting loot through exploring the story--this is when the raid treadmill began.

frefaln
06-06-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm okay with Luclin, and I'm also okay with skipping Luclin altogether and finding a way to have PoP without the clicky-books or PoK :)

Okay, I sort of gest. Honestly I don't care as long as we go slowly through Kunark and Velious. I really don't want to get that rat-race feeling all over again, I'd love to actually experience each continent before the next "big thing" comes along.

Malrubius
06-06-2010, 12:32 AM
/prays for nilbog to put an end to this madness :p

Edit, and...
No. The plan is to not lose characters and keep P1999 what it's supposed to be. A classic server.

Classic is up to Velious by community terms. It's when EQ was in its peak. Luclin is not considered classic and will not be included in our server. What happens with a lack of content? Well, there's plenty of other servers in the community that offer higher levels of content, and if you wanted to play them, then you should be playing them instead of playing here. I'd like to see people happy, and if this isn't the type of game you like, then it's not the game you should be playing. To keep playing something you don't like is sadistic in a way.

Zordana
06-06-2010, 12:33 AM
luclin

and @eqdruid76: sigh -.-'

Taluvill
06-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Release plane of sky.

Hate to say it, but this after velious topic has been hashed and rehashed about 38593756290464829 times now.

Lets get Sky out. You have no idea how huge of a population boost that would make. Partially because it means kunark is soon <3 and partially because everyone has hashed and rehashed and rerehashed and rererehashed classic.

I understand if its not time for it, or if its not ready, which is probably both true... So i guess its a moot point. nvm then.

nicemace
06-06-2010, 12:49 AM
luclin and pop.

best raiding content in the game.

Malrubius
06-06-2010, 12:56 AM
You guys are in la-la land...

The server will stop at velious. At that point we may consider opening a second server starting from the beginning again, but this is still a while away (2 years atleast).

nicemace
06-06-2010, 02:12 AM
question was what we wanted to see after velious... so we said what we wanted to see... pretty straight forward.

Phallax
06-06-2010, 02:20 AM
You guys are in la-la land...

And thats why this isnt an official post its just for fun and "interest" of the OP. Stop trolling.

Additional Rules: Just post once and do not comment on others posts so it's a nice informative thread.

nilbog
06-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Mixxit just wanted to know people's opinions on what they would like to see post-Velious. This has no bearing on what will happen here.

This is a prekunark-velious server. Nothing has changed about our mission goal :P

Since this is a hypothetical discussion, I will join in.

There is no way I would go forward with Luclin and beyond. (cat people and aliens? really. It went from a fantasy setting to 1990s scifi.) Custom content would be fun though. My idea of a post-velious world would include fewer zones, with more content in them. It would have strong faction relations between centralized cities similar to the way Kael, Thurgadin and Skyshrine operated. NPC humanoids could have family factions, and hidden factions you might know are linked. There would be a lot of npc interactions to promote the sense of zones being alive. There would be fights in the bars, and guards that don't show up to work sometimes.

I would try and make use of player characters abilities and spells. example: Instead of track being used to farm loot, it might be used to safely navigate through hostile invisible creatures you can't see otherwise:P There would be locked doors (rogues). Every class should have some type of use.

Quests would be hard, possibly requiring you to complete different objectives with one faction, then requiring parts from an opposing faction. Quests might even yield different rewards depending on the route you take to reach the end. I believe quest-rewarded items should be more about effects, and less about crazy hp/mana stats. In my post-Velious world, loot would be only marginally better than the best gear obtainable in Velious, but it would be hard to get and very unique.

I am a fan of real time strategy as well. Optional pvp is a good thing. I believe squads of npcs could be utilized for pve and pvp purposes. Mixxit demonstrated this with the Infinity's Edge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoIaLBpfCG4) server quite nicely. Warfare between cities where you could choose your side based on faction work, with the possibility of your city falling into enemy control. City uptime or battles won could yield temporary titles/rule to certain PCs, etc.

The original zones inspire me more than the new ones. I suppose I would try to make each and every npc and monster have a story, and have it mean something. This is what I missed post-Velious on live eq.

Malrubius
06-06-2010, 02:43 AM
And thats why this isnt an official post its just for fun and "interest" of the OP. Stop trolling.

Ehh, not trolling. You know it's just for fun, and I know it's just for fun...but I suspect some posters think it's more than that.

Maybe I'm wrong about that - it wouldn't be the first time. :D Okay, on with the daydreaming.

EDIT - thanks for reasserting nilbog!

Wildir
06-06-2010, 02:59 AM
Luclin with beastlords, maybe without the nexus teleport system

Kazzok
06-06-2010, 03:02 AM
If we do anything post-velious, it should be what SOE/VI should have done. Not what they did with Luclin. I am against the going to the moon concept.

I would dearly love to see Luclin done right. I really enjoyed the feel of some of the zones, like Katta and Ssra and FG. And whatever that one off Maiden's Eye where you went to get your VT key was, with the little alien looking dudes in it.

The one thing I can't figure out about having Luclin but pretending it's not the moon is how to explain the way the sky looks in the zones. On some it's the dark side with what's obviously a planet hanging in the sky, while the light side looks like normal daylight. It's pretty clearly a moon visually.

Edit: There was the occasional decent art/zone feel in Luclin at least:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/scenery/katta-nectar.jpg

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/scenery/ssratemple-entrance.jpg

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/scenery/ssratemple-basement.jpg

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/scenery/katta-garden.jpg

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/scenery/sseru-arena.jpg

Kazzok
06-06-2010, 03:05 AM
Being a casual player, both then on the live servers and now on this one, I felt Luclin was where things started going down hill.

Like others posted, I felt travel became trivial with Luclin. It may have not been that bad if you could only have traveled to and from the moon from one spot in the old world. That would still mean having to travel to the transport site (Nexus). In this way, you couldn't use the moon to quickly get from one spot in the old world to another.

I was playing a Wizard when Luclin and PoP came out, and I'm pretty sure it was PoP that destroyed the demand for ports.

As a matter of fact, when Luclin first came out, there was a two stage port process to get anywhere on Luclin. First you had to get to the Nexus, as that was the only Luclin port that worked from Norrath. Then you could port to wherever you wanted on Luclin.

Sony nerfed that a few months into it I think, probably along with giving up on the keys for Velious ports.

JaVeDK
06-06-2010, 03:11 AM
Mixxit just wanted to know people's opinions on what they would like to see post-Velious. This has no bearing on what will happen here.

This is a prekunark-velious server. Nothing has changed about our mission goal :P

There is no way I would go forward with Luclin and beyond. (cat people and aliens? really. It went from a fantasy setting to 1990s scifi.) Custom content would be fun though. My idea of a post-velious world would include fewer zones, with more content in them. It would have strong faction relations between centralized cities similar to the way Kael, Thurgadin and Skyshrine operated. NPC humanoids could have family factions, and hidden factions you might know are linked. There would be a lot of npc interactions to promote the sense of zones being alive. There would be fights in the bars, and guards that don't show up to work sometimes.

I would try and make use of player characters abilities and spells. example: Instead of track being used to farm loot, it might be used to safely navigate through hostile invisible creatures you can't see otherwise:P There would be locked doors (rogues). Every class should have some type of use.

Quests would be hard, possibly requiring you to complete different objectives with one faction, then requiring parts from an opposing faction. Quests might even yield different rewards depending on the route you take to reach the end. I believe quest-rewarded items should be more about effects, and less about crazy hp/mana stats. In my post-Velious world, loot would be only marginally better than the best gear obtainable in Velious, but it would be hard to get and very unique.

I am a fan of real time strategy as well. Optional pvp is a good thing. I believe squads of npcs could be utilized for pve and pvp purposes. Mixxit demonstrated this with the Infinity's Edge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoIaLBpfCG4) server quite nicely. Warfare between cities where you could choose your side based on faction work, with the possibility of your city falling into enemy control. City uptime or battles won could yield temporary titles/rule to certain PCs, etc.

The original zones inspire me more than the new ones. I suppose I would try to make each and every npc and monster have a story, and have it mean something. This is what I missed post-Velious on live eq.

^^^
This - with some sort of alternate advancement included (tree based AA's perhaps)

Zordana
06-06-2010, 03:34 AM

you got some nice ideas there..
uuaellaen made a meeting once with some friends and we discussed a mmo concept, we had lots of nice ideas, but i dont know where the log is tbh.. we wrote all down on paper.. must be somewhere :P

nothsa
06-06-2010, 03:52 AM
I say go in the direction of planes of power, but no PoK books but the planes content with out the flagging, Maybe throw in a few luclin zones with that raid content.

vinx
06-06-2010, 04:19 AM

I was also thinking along these same lines, with faction work and skirmishes between katta and sanctus seru (good vs evil) sorta the same way they started EQ2 out,..with opposing factions but you could work up that faction to gain access into the other.

I wasnt thinking luclin tho, just using those zones set up differently in a custom expansion.

vinx
06-06-2010, 04:22 AM
*yes, i know these 2 cities alrdy have faction issues,..just bringing it to another level* :)
that was spose to be edited in the bottom of ^ but i went to far into the quick reply haha

eqdruid76
06-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Hypothetical or not, this is how it starts.

/mourn

frefaln
06-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Nilbog's post gives me a lot of hope, and at the same time makes me lament the fact that SoE didn't share his philosophy back in the day. Somewhere along the line they convinced themselves that it was the quantity of zones that mattered, instead of zones that actually felt "alive" like the old-world/Kunark/Velious zones do. Starting with Luclin there's no question about it — with each subsequent expansion the zones got a lot prettier but felt progressively more hollow.

Nilbog gets it, which makes me feel a lot more confident that P99 isn't doomed to repeat history.

Brut
06-06-2010, 07:00 AM
I'd fancy all the non-implemented areas and concepts to be made in some way or the other. Empty places that seemingly serve no purpose, or stuff that clearly was supposed to be for something, but neer was. Ones I can think off the top of my hat:

- Rujarkian Hills. The LDoN zones, where the orc highway in Oasis would've led. But not the stupid-ass caves with storages of barrels and crates as in LDoN. I dunno what zone it could be, but it bothered me to no ends that you could clearly see a zone entrance reserved for the deathfist orc clan, but it wasn't there. I still run to the invisible wall occasionally thinking to myself: "if only!!".

- The Rathe Mountains. The sphinxes, for instance... One of them is clearly guarding some entrance to somewhere. Why are they on different factions? What are they? What about the weird ruins everywhere with big blue flames erupting from everywhere in them? SOE just threw ghostly frogloks in there later, but those ruins were there for a long time, one of Norrath's great mysteries. Some trolls are also guarding one of the haunted towers in there. What's that all about? Broken Skull Clan?

- Broken Skull Clan. These guys are supposedly the big enemies of the trolls of Grobb, and I didn't fancy the pirate-business they added as LOY.

- There's a clear entrance to some zone inside Oggok, near the smiths. It makes that S-shape that indicates an entrance somewhere. North from Oggok would be Karanas, so maybe it was meant to be a shortcut for ogres to get there?

- The weird tombstones and pillar-things in the Feerrott and at the West Karanas with ogres around them. I'd assume they were meant to be some form of teleportation for evil races to go around with somewhat less trouble, but that'd be PoK-ish so don't know.

- The angry Efreeti in Solusek Temple, and the secret room near him! SOE again added a quest for this guy later on, but going to the Dreadlands and summoning and killing some huge giant djinni imprisoned in some alternate dimension was a bit of a "bleh" thing to me.

- The dreadlands with those huge ruins. I thought there were just a couple of skeletons or something there, if they weren't completely empty? Such mysteries bother me!

- Loch Ness Monst-errr.. Lake Rathe and Dagnor's Cauldron. I remember always being scared as all heck of some huge giant serpent or something jumping me from the water there, and ofc there were rumors of such flying around everywhere back in the day. Prince Kermt Kyroppi doesn't really count to me.

- Unsolved quests! The tusk from that named mammoth in South Karanas, Eye of Petrifin, Evil Eye Optic Fluid, them sphinxes, that efreeti in solusek temple, so forth so forth. There's tons of stuff no one ever figured out on live. Despite us not knowing what these quests were meant to be, something could be come up for them eventually. I think. Despite how it might contradict with how much the decisions of SOE to make quests around them later agitates me.

SpartanEQ
06-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Depends on how many people are playing. If there are enough people, then Luclin I guess...without the Bazaar if possible. That's as far as it should go though. After that it started to go downhill in my opinion.

Edit: Nevermind. I missed Nilbog's post. :)

I guess just regular GM events if possible. I loved the Halloween events they would do, for example.

JaVeDK
06-06-2010, 08:40 AM
I really like Bruts ideas as well. There are tons of dead end hallways, secret tunnels that lead nowhere and lore which could be used - like the alleged entrance to Brell Serillis' realm in The Hole.

Also add some more bosses (both raid and group ones) to existing zones, like the Loch Ness type monster that was supposed to be in Lake Rathetear (but was removed due to buggy pathing), or maybe some royals or lords in the existing cities with loot and quests etc.

Aeolwind
06-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Had a really long answer typed out, dropped my cell phone, hit escape and lost it. Here is the short answer

No instances
No POK
No POT
No AA
No Level cap increases.
No Discordians
No cats
No beastlords
No nexus
No Taelosians
No Netherbians
No POTime
No Zeb

Most zones in expansion set for raids or raiding in general. Possibly 1 additional zone in each for neach 31-40, 41-50 and 51-60 level range.

SOL - Focus more on Combine on Luclin. Shift Akhevans from "wtf" to "Oh, Luclin!", tie Shissar more to the Iksar.

POP - Change the planes to work like how they do currently, ports or portals. Rework that shitty storyline. Most zones open.

GOD - EQ goes to hell. Rename Discordians with demonic/devilish names. Replace Taelosians with angelic-ish counter part. Rework BIC to be 1 groupable, most zones open.

girth
06-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Tying Shissar to the iksar to be able to do SSRA would be the shit. So would SSERU.

Kazzok
06-06-2010, 03:07 PM
I'd fancy all the non-implemented areas and concepts to be made in some way or the other. Empty places that seemingly serve no purpose, or stuff that clearly was supposed to be for something, but neer was. Ones I can think off the top of my hat:

- Rujarkian Hills. The LDoN zones, where the orc highway in Oasis would've led. But not the stupid-ass caves with storages of barrels and crates as in LDoN. I dunno what zone it could be, but it bothered me to no ends that you could clearly see a zone entrance reserved for the deathfist orc clan, but it wasn't there. I still run to the invisible wall occasionally thinking to myself: "if only!!".

- The Rathe Mountains. The sphinxes, for instance... One of them is clearly guarding some entrance to somewhere. Why are they on different factions? What are they? What about the weird ruins everywhere with big blue flames erupting from everywhere in them? SOE just threw ghostly frogloks in there later, but those ruins were there for a long time, one of Norrath's great mysteries. Some trolls are also guarding one of the haunted towers in there. What's that all about? Broken Skull Clan?

- Broken Skull Clan. These guys are supposedly the big enemies of the trolls of Grobb, and I didn't fancy the pirate-business they added as LOY.

- There's a clear entrance to some zone inside Oggok, near the smiths. It makes that S-shape that indicates an entrance somewhere. North from Oggok would be Karanas, so maybe it was meant to be a shortcut for ogres to get there?

- The weird tombstones and pillar-things in the Feerrott and at the West Karanas with ogres around them. I'd assume they were meant to be some form of teleportation for evil races to go around with somewhat less trouble, but that'd be PoK-ish so don't know.

- The angry Efreeti in Solusek Temple, and the secret room near him! SOE again added a quest for this guy later on, but going to the Dreadlands and summoning and killing some huge giant djinni imprisoned in some alternate dimension was a bit of a "bleh" thing to me.

- The dreadlands with those huge ruins. I thought there were just a couple of skeletons or something there, if they weren't completely empty? Such mysteries bother me!

- Loch Ness Monst-errr.. Lake Rathe and Dagnor's Cauldron. I remember always being scared as all heck of some huge giant serpent or something jumping me from the water there, and ofc there were rumors of such flying around everywhere back in the day. Prince Kermt Kyroppi doesn't really count to me.

- Unsolved quests! The tusk from that named mammoth in South Karanas, Eye of Petrifin, Evil Eye Optic Fluid, them sphinxes, that efreeti in solusek temple, so forth so forth. There's tons of stuff no one ever figured out on live. Despite us not knowing what these quests were meant to be, something could be come up for them eventually. I think. Despite how it might contradict with how much the decisions of SOE to make quests around them later agitates me.

There's also an invisible wall in Nektulos Forest that seems like it ought to go somewhere. Just north of the River.

Qaedain
06-06-2010, 03:18 PM
And all the Combine fire pots. ;)

Gwence
06-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Luclin!!!!!!!!

No instances - check
No POK - check
No POT - check
No AA
No Level cap increases. - check
No Discordians - check
No cats
No beastlords
No nexus
No Taelosians - check
No Netherbians
No POTime - check
No Zeb - check

Netherbians.. /shrug who cares they're not even close to an integral part of luclin, they're mostly green cons that are small potatoes. Personally I dont mind them at all.

Nexus.. Whats the big deal with this zone, how is it any different from how WC is right now, a general meeting zone for guilds or afk zone for others. The 4 spires should be on like a 15 minute timer iirc, not exactly super fast travel and hardly takes away from wizard/druid porting abilities.

Beastlords.. This I could agree with you on, I always found beastlords to be somewhat of a useless class especially in the begining. However, Paragon of Spirit is actually semi useful on raids and the dps of a well geared BL is almost respectable. They deserve to exist.

Vah Shir.. No furry kittys? That entire city of them would make it tough, though I agree they never really did much with the Vah Shir city in terms of quests or raid targets etc. One big quest involving the grimling I think.

AA.. Absolute necessity, how anyone can be against AA is beyond me. I would give my first born for innate metabolism and run speed right now! Seriously though, it's not feasible to tackle the raid encounters in Luclin without having a decent amount of people with AA's, they will get raped.

Tocs
06-06-2010, 03:50 PM
No POK
No POT
No AA
No Level cap increases.
No nexus
No POTime

These were what made the game fun for me the first time around. I started mid-Velious mind you.

-AA's allowed you to set yourself apart from someone else, beyond just gear. -Plane of Time was one of the most fun raid zones made imo.
-Easier travel means more time for things you actually want to do or get done.
-Need levels to do Luclin content

Kazzok
06-06-2010, 04:17 PM
I have to disagree with easy travel being good. There are many MMOs that are about the action and not the world. EQ should be about the world. That's what classic means (to me).

Kluren
06-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Great suggestions so far guys, keep em coming!

Here's some I loved!:
* New content added should be on the existing continents and not lots of new zones
* Add more Player-to-Player Orientated content, PVP, Coop etc
* Do not make the game easy
* Do not change our current trading system (East Commonlands)
* Bring back some of the favourite luclin zones (Bring Ssra back to Norrath? Overthere maybe?)
* More dragons
* If races from other expansions are added keep them old world (Kerra Ridge was one idea)
* Never trivialise travel (Pok Books, Nexus etc)
* Playable Monsters - See Project M (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=21465)
* Implement Dirty High Elf Women

Great ideas, Mixxit! I am in favor of leaving the sci. fi. moon out of the picture as well.

Kluren
06-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Haha, i like some of this. But PoAir should be a portal on island 1.5 in PoSky :3

PoFire could be portal from temple of sol ro.

water in kedge works well, Earth at bottom of the hole behind a mob that DT's? not too keen on that, but ... hole is a good choice.

Depends how the server pans out over the next few expansions i suppose.

Great great idea! Access to plane of air on an island in plane of sky. Now we are talking like classic vets and verant. :D

Kluren
06-06-2010, 04:29 PM

I am all for custom content beyond Velious. But that would make the server no longer classic. But after 3 years, we may be ready for something different.

I hate to take something from WOW, but instanced battlegrounds, could help keep people entertained.

Making certain zones temporary hotzones (hotzone = PVP) would be another idea. A lot of work would need done to prevent cheating/hacking if anything PVP is done.

Haynar

Everything you said just rocks. Thank you.

Aeolwind
06-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Luclin!!!!!!!!

AA.. Absolute necessity, how anyone can be against AA is beyond me. I would give my first born for innate metabolism and run speed right now! Seriously though, it's not feasible to tackle the raid encounters in Luclin without having a decent amount of people with AA's, they will get raped.

Ahh yes, but we also don't have to give mobs several million HP like the blobs in VT had either.

Aeolwind
06-06-2010, 05:04 PM
These were what made the game fun for me the first time around. I started mid-Velious mind you.

-AA's allowed you to set yourself apart from someone else, beyond just gear. -Plane of Time was one of the most fun raid zones made imo.
-Easier travel means more time for things you actually want to do or get done.
-Need levels to do Luclin content

Travel will become harder as the expansions open & the boats will return as soon as the mechanic can be worked out. We aren't doing anything to make it easier for you to travel...if anything, we're trying to make it harder.

I did POTime, for me it was boring & monotonous, just like AA were. The only fight that was remotely fun was RZ and VZ/TZ. The rest were your average tank and spank.

And you don't need levels to do anything if it is balanced appropriately.

Instead of AA, I'd rather write quests that gave items that had AA abilities on them or gave access to the skills/boosts themselves. But, then you end up with mobs with astronomical amounts of HP, like the blobs. AA were the beginning of an escalation: You can either advance player gear, or player ability; if you advance both then you have to advance what mobs drop and what mobs do. Be that "do" equal to HP, Min/max damage, AE, proc or attack speed. The tighter you can control what the players have access to the better encounters can be tailored to be difficult vs "a 1500aa tank fight".

Zithax
06-06-2010, 05:58 PM
There's a lot that could be done with EQ storyline. I'd focus on internal expansions for the most part, that of a constant and changing world.

I like the term Discord and what it represents, chaotic stirring of the divine and mortal powers of Norrath alike; the sowing of corruption and manipulation by these great powers and their influences upon Norrath.

One cool thing I enjoyed about EQ lore, was the fact that the Gods could be the creation of mortals through worship and belief. This opens the door for myriad of other "deities" to exist. While the original pantheon are the powers/influences that balance the universal energy, there could be many other lesser gods and mortal races in existence that could make their way to Norrath. Perhaps an ancient relic of great power exists within Norrath and is guarded by the frogloks of guk, a relic which the undead of guk seek that will grant them eternal lichdom and power.

There's so much to do with EQ lore, I'd love to write for the EQ world!

mixxit
06-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Perhaps an ancient relic of great power exists within Norrath

Trakanon then laid his serpent-like head on the floor of his cave. "That time is fast approaching. Here is my prophecy, young one. Everything I say now shall soon come to pass. When the wars of the elder races begin to come to fruition, the gods shall take notice and plan for their coming into the world. Then, on the third day of the third season, in the dark of the night on all the continents of the elder races, shall be reborn my chosen in the bodies of other men, representing all of the three virtues: good, evil, and the gray neutral between them both. They will arise to the call of a fourth chosen, great among them, who will collect my gifts unto himself: the magic enhancements of Miragul, the flaming sword of Nalikor, and your dragon pendant. The peoples of Norrath will revere this one as Trakanon's chosen, and he will watch the whole world burn."

Tocs
06-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Travel will become harder as the expansions open & the boats will return as soon as the mechanic can be worked out. We aren't doing anything to make it easier for you to travel...if anything, we're trying to make it harder.
Why is this fun?

I did POTime, for me it was boring & monotonous, just like AA were.
AA's gave me a reason to log on and keep improving my character. As far as PoTime goes...boss after boss boring? Dang.

Kazzok
06-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Why is this fun?

[Re: travel being hard]

It's fun because it's a challenge. EQ was interesting in part because the challenge consisted of many things besides just crawling a dungeon or defeating a raid boss.

For example, finding your way through a new zone, finding your corpse, or being lost in the dark (or all three if you're a Barbarian going down to Blackburrow for the first time).

When Sony lightened the game and made night vision meaningless, they removed a challenge from the game. There's nothing anybody can do to put that challenge back now.

When you remove enough little challenges over time, you wind up with a bland and empty game where you do the same thing time after time to acquire points. Basically, WoW "dailies" (which is when I quit that game again when my friend suggested I should start doing them).

Kazzok
06-06-2010, 06:44 PM
By the way, back in 1999, before people had standardized on the term "MMO" to describe this type of video game, there was another term in use as well: "persistent world online gaming" or some variation thereof.

Before it was about tons of players ("massively multiplayer"), it was about the world continuing while you were logged off. It was about the world being bigger than the individual player. It was about the world being objectively real rather than just shallow window dressing on which you play the 2010 version of Gauntlet or Golden Axe.

EQ was about the world, before it got changed into WoW-Lite.

Nocte
06-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Trakanon then laid his serpent-like head on the floor of his cave. "That time is fast approaching. Here is my prophecy, young one. Everything I say now shall soon come to pass. When the wars of the elder races begin to come to fruition, the gods shall take notice and plan for their coming into the world. Then, on the third day of the third season, in the dark of the night on all the continents of the elder races, shall be reborn my chosen in the bodies of other men, representing all of the three virtues: good, evil, and the gray neutral between them both. They will arise to the call of a fourth chosen, great among them, who will collect my gifts unto himself: the magic enhancements of Miragul, the flaming sword of Nalikor, and your dragon pendant. The peoples of Norrath will revere this one as Trakanon's chosen, and he will watch the whole world burn."

This is not canon lore. The codex of war was assembled (and most sections written) by a player guild. The characters in the Prophecy of Trakanon storyline, for example, were officers in that guild.

Just an FYI. :)

mixxit
06-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Aye back from EQ Beta when alot of the lore was being written by community members who would eventually join the sony staff (Absor etc!)

Nocte
06-06-2010, 08:06 PM
The codex of war was written after Kunark, though. Otherwise, no player would have known about Kunark or Trakanon in the first place. Most of the "lore" found in these writings was players trying to write their guild into the story (prophecy of trakanon), or making stuff up that contradicts official lore (i.e. the stuff about trolls being from Kunark).

Nothing found in the codex of war has any in-game correlation to suggest it was ever officially adopted or that it exists as anything other than decently-written (if at times, inaccurate) fan fiction.

mixxit
06-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Actually the lore in question is from beta and the codex of war is a derivative of it. There are lots of things from classic everquest that got changed later on. Like for example the lore that said Innoruuk created the Iksar.

Nocte
06-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Actually the lore in question is from beta and the codex of war is a derivative of it.

The lore in question were stories rejected/altered from the pre-release and leaked to sate player curiosity.

Luke Skywalker was originally Luke Starkiller, but that doesn't mean that Starkiller is a canonical last name from classic Star Wars history (aside from the recently released Force Unleashed stuff, which was ret-conned four decades later.)

Furthermore:

Codex of War (http://web.archive.org/web/20040204195507/http://www.1stfistoflight.com/html/1fol/everquest/eqcodex/default.htm)
Most of the writings you will find from here on out will be written from an "in character" perspective told by the character I have portrayed all this time through course of gameplay. Banegrivm Shadowblight, a paladin of Mithaniel Marr who once forged an army at the battle of Bloody Kithicor by command of his god...

Fanfiction.

Kluren
06-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Why is this fun?

[re: travel becoming more difficult]

Because it keeps it Classic. The more you move away from challenge and the fear based concept of dying in this game, the more you move towards World of Warcraft and Everquest Live. Spare us both, please. :/

Yiknik
06-07-2010, 07:10 AM
This is your guy's playground, I absolutely love playing in it! I am sure that whatever you implement, if anything, will be great. The best part about this server is getting to see and do everything i didn't get a chance to. So idk if it is something modified or original. I am pro planes tho, seeing the clockwork dragon is on my bucket list!

guineapig
06-07-2010, 07:38 AM
I for one am completely 100% against the idea of Alternate Advancement being implemented.

That feature basically forces you to choose one character from there on out or be left behind by those that do.

I enjoy leveling up alts and don't want to be told down the line that I'm gimping my main by taking time to levell up a new character to 60.

Bruman
06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
That feature basically forces you to choose one character from there on out or be left behind by those that do.

Well, I think that goes for ANY type of advancement. AAs, or more levels, or quested gear (lol right), or raiding. If they put in any sort of way to advance, if you haven't maxed out your "main", then you're "neglecting" it by playing alts.

I guess it's just that with AAs, its like a whole crap load of "mini-levels" all at once to try and catch up with. When only gear is your progression, you have more time to play alts, since you can only raid a couple of times a week or whatever.

However, I still stand by "it's a game, do what you like!". If AAs one day hit (unlikely), screw everyone else, do what you enjoy :)

guineapig
06-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Well my issue is with how bad AA's have become on live. I'm not certain there is a cap to them which basically means endless leveling which equates to constantly grinding exp on your main or neglecting your main to play your alts.

If there was a reasonable cap to AA's then I wouldn't mind them but on live people in raid guilds have like 4000-5000 AA's.

Kluren
06-07-2010, 02:13 PM
I for one am completely 100% against the idea of Alternate Advancement being implemented.

I enjoy leveling up alts and don't want to be told down the line that I'm gimping my main by taking time to levell up a new character to 60.

Agreed.

SchadenFreude
06-07-2010, 03:09 PM
In my opinion, I would like to see:

1) the pre-60 AAs enabled after Velious has been out for a while.
2) a limited version of Luclin
3) a move towards the PoP content
4) retaining the old-style character models. Trolls should be fat!

PoP was a great expansion. I really didn't enjoy the expansions post-PoP. The "feel" of EQ changed dramatically after that.

madhatta317
06-07-2010, 03:12 PM
New custom expansion, a new continent. You can use luclin gear to up the gear and use zones from the newer expansions. I would like to see a rehash of VT and SSRA, maybe new mob names and bosses for storyline purposes but i liked the zones (well ssra was more of a love hate). But definitely no moon and no AAs. I could see a few luclin and PoP zones, maybe even throw in a couple non-instanced LDoN zones to make a great new norrath continent

Taluvill
06-07-2010, 03:16 PM
I dont mind much, just no beastlords or Space kitties!

Agreed, a limited version of luclin would be cool. I LOVED PoP, Especially if you can COMPLETELY do away with the Plane of Knowledge. Cut that out, and we're phat. Maybe add a PoTranquility book somwhere? Back of Sleepers/NTov?? it would be the type of deal where you'd have to bring a raid force just to get people in, and once ytour in, you'd NEVER want to leave, quite obviously.

Kluren
06-07-2010, 03:54 PM
oh my god lol. Space kitties. I picture kittens with their little astronaut helmets...

You can not say it any funnier than that. :D

astuce999
06-07-2010, 04:31 PM
I love a lot of the ideas promoted here, especially finishing the unsolved quests and opening some custom zones from within classic norrath. I also am part of the crowd that wants a modified Luclin/PoP (fading memories!! weeeeee!). One thing that I think worked well in EQ that for some reason they never continued, which I think helps with the life of the server, is what they did with nagafen and vox after kunark. If they bring out a modifier luclin/PoP they could put cap on 'older' content like kunark and velious dungeons (i.e. lvl 60 and under, or less than 30 aa`s). This would help 2nd tier guilds continue their progression without the content being farmed by 1 group 1st tier guilds (and eventually solo'ed). The required level armor also could help prevent older content from being trivialized.

One last thing (before I finish my shift at work), I would like to see more one groupable content for clicky type items that was once so common in classic/kunark/velious, but became more and more rare with later content other than in raids. (i.e. a PoP version of Quillmane or Luclin version of the ancient cyclops).

I love the idea of having access to planes through difficult to reach places all over the old world.

cheers!

Astuce Subterfuge

Desert
06-07-2010, 11:58 PM
The only reason Luclin portals were useful was for old world intercontinental travel by foot, and even then overland travel took a long ass time.

As a druid, I didn't notice a reduction in business after Luclin. How badly do you need to get to Cobalt Scar? You're still running a long ways if you take the spire, and you're definitely running through Skyshrine, hope you have the key and aren't kos...!

Anyway... PoK is what shrunk the world in a bad way, not Luclin. imho.

on topic:
-I am in favor of the luclin expansion, minus the ridiculous hp/ac in VT. SSRA was and is my favorite content.
-I am not necessarily against the bazaar either... Sure, EC is great for classic. I loved it then, It's cool now too, but I'm in favor of the stimulus package to our economy that is the bazaar (in limited form, possibly a single room, none of the other bs)

loobusk
06-08-2010, 12:04 AM
No bazaar, you ass.

Desert
06-08-2010, 12:56 AM
si se puede

Kazzok
06-08-2010, 01:14 AM
The only reason Luclin portals were useful was for old world intercontinental travel by foot, and even then overland travel took a long ass time.

As a druid, I didn't notice a reduction in business after Luclin. How badly do you need to get to Cobalt Scar? You're still running a long ways if you take the spire, and you're definitely running through Skyshrine, hope you have the key and aren't kos...!

Anyway... PoK is what shrunk the world in a bad way, not Luclin. imho.

on topic:
-I am in favor of the luclin expansion, minus the ridiculous hp/ac in VT. SSRA was and is my favorite content.
-I am not necessarily against the bazaar either... Sure, EC is great for classic. I loved it then, It's cool now too, but I'm in favor of the stimulus package to our economy that is the bazaar (in limited form, possibly a single room, none of the other bs)

I was a Wizard when Luclin came out. I agree with your observations about travel in Luclin.

It was clearly PoK that ruined travel, not Luclin.

Branaddar
06-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I was a wizard as well. Honestly, I found I had a boost in travel when I was selling my ports. At least I could sit in the Nexus and sell them now that the game had a "central" zone, as it were.

EC tunnel was neat, but most people were there to trade, not get ports. After the Nexus came about, people would bind there and get ports out instead.

Shaun421
06-08-2010, 12:37 PM
I also played a Wizard in Luclin and also saw an increase in ports when I sat in Nexus. But I digress.

What I would like to see after Velious, maybe even before, is some of the race/class combinations unlocked, like Gnome SK/Pally, Halfling Ranger, etc. I also wouldn't mind Frogloks as a playable race, but only because I quit before they were released and never got to hop around as one.

And I agree with Brut, that there are so many things in the original world that was left unfinished which lend themselves to very interesting potential.

guineapig
06-08-2010, 01:14 PM
This map shows the potential of what could theoretically be added to the game once we have wrapped up classic progression:

http://samanna.net/3pix/maps/samantonica.4.0.png

There are quite a few zones that they were able to stuff into the original three continents.

So if you take out all of Discord, Taelosia, Luclin, the instanced LDON stuff, The Planes of Knowledge/Tranquility, and anything else meant for level 65+ there is still a lot to work with.

I would also remove anything that isn't mentioned in some way shape or form in classic lore. So if it involves a storyline that's post Luclin then it shouldn't ever be included.

Being able to use the zone in locations from these other expansions can give way to many options...

I know this is all just hypothetical talk... but it's still fun!

Doughdoh
06-09-2010, 05:32 PM
One possibility is to make Velious zones pvp. I spent most of my time on Tallon Zek and some of my best memories were of massive wars with multiple guilds over zones or spawns (One time this involved around 200 people and 5 guilds!). PvP added an interesting dimension which gave one a feeling similar to the chill that runs down your spine as your raid crawls deep into a dungeon and you worry about whiping. With pvp you never knew when your enemies would zone in 40 strong and blast you away. By restricting pvp to Velious the newbies would be kept happy while those 50+ looking for something to do would have plenty of it. BOTB tournaments just don't cut it. It's not REAL pvp. BOTB is more like forcing a cat and a dog to sit next to each other in the back seat of a Ford Escort. No one took them seriously on the pvp servers.

As for AAs, if we are sticking to not going beyond Velious, which I hope we are, then AAs are the wrong way to go. I think that they will make things too easy. The classic world wasn't really meant for raids filled with people with max AAs. But then, what do I know? I hardly played post-velious. Also as it has been stated, it really forces people, particularly casual players, to play only one character, rather than explore and have fun with various alts. Even so, I could live with AAs if I had to.

Though I could not live with the bazaar, plane of knowledge, and gear with ridiculous stats that make it worthless to raid/hunt in the more fun classic zones.

Anyways, thanks to the developers. It's been fun for me so far.

Shyguy McFly
06-09-2010, 06:43 PM
DAOC.

Kluren
06-09-2010, 09:09 PM
No bazaar, you ass.

Lol no kidding.

jamsen
06-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I am an admitted tradeskill junkie and one of the improvements I would like to see is a more intelligent tradeskill system. SoD's tradeskills are an example of one such system.

It makes little sense that the player character's cities, even as new as they are, are only capable of producing the most basic equipment while some orcs in a cave are capable of producing far superior equipment. The best equipment should require raiding and tradeskills (that sword has been neglected for thousands of years, it's not going to be very good until a smith touches it up.) Luclin started some of this and it's one of the parts of Luclin that I liked (minus the bazaar and the "story" of the vah shir city being blown to the moon.)

One of the major problems with so many expansions on Live is that old world cities became ghettos and ghost towns - only to be used for a few minutes while leveling a new character. Major cities should remain central to the game! This is something that Blizzard has managed to do mostly right with WoW (despite the numerous other flaws of that game).

There are very few quests in EverQuest. The game, as released, has a very unfinished feel and it should really be called EverGrind. There needs to be way more quests and old ones should be deprecated in favor of new ones. Canloe Nusback is going to get tired of that tower of Crushbone Belts and Shoulderpads taking up that corner space and want something else from Crushbone. There should be quests for all levels in all cities and should award decent but basic (i.e. mostly non-magical or minor magical, like a +1 longsword in D&D) gear. Implementing new quests inside cities helps keeps players in those cities and for them to be hubs of player activity.

Just my two cents worth...

mokfarg
06-09-2010, 10:05 PM
I would like a dev team that are not bent by the loudest forum lurkers screaming for instant travel and moon kitties. I would like the game to stop at the trilogy as decided on in the begginning, so it would continue being the unique server that for that exact reason has attracted so many people.

Oh wait .... I have gotten just that! I don't even have to wish. :D Don't worry when old timers leave new people will begin and some old timers will try other classes. A game doesn't have to continue to progress to stay alive. The farther you go the worst the game gets and the dimmer the chances are new people will want to join.

Many current live games have proven this.

Toony
06-13-2010, 12:50 PM
For me, after Velious, I'll just start over with a new class.

BrentClagg
08-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Classic Everquest has a unique feel that I love. I have to agree that after Velious it started to go down hill. Some things I liked and others I did not.

*Beastlord, Beserker - I think adding the two classes made more diversity without hurting gameplay.

*AA's - Alternate Advancement is a great way to advance your character, but felt like a forced grind at times. (Suggestion below in Additional)

*Added Content - Having more content and bosses to clear is a plus. Some of it was good and some of it was not.

Dislike
*Races - Not a big fan of most of the new races. Classics were fine with me.

*Bazaar - East Commons and North Freeport trading always seemed more fun. The bazaar killed that.

*Difficulty - Maybe it was because I was learning more and getting older, but it seems the game got much much easier with every expansion.

*Recommended/Required Levels - I understand the reason, I just wasn't a big fan of it.

Additional
*AA's - Filter out most of the AA's, as there are way too many. Also make them more of a choice by making some AA's prohibit others or something similar.

*PVP - PvP servers were not that fun because of the chaos everywhere you went, but Best of the Best and duels always interested me a lot. Perhaps if its possible turn flag certain zones for pvp or have pvp battle areas. Any stat tracking, or PvP only Gear/AA's would be amazing.

Humwawa
08-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Luclin, without bazaar or Nexus transporters. Ssra and VT were some of my all-time favorite raid content.

I agree with this, mostly. Just make the Nexus teleporters take foooooorever to use.

Also, nerf the shit out of Paludal Caverns.

Darenenski
08-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Wow someone actually enjoyed VT as a raid zone, who woulda thunk it.

Edgetiq
08-11-2010, 06:12 PM
No LUCLIN! it ruined EQ. It also ruined PvP on SZ *sadface* fucking Evils! levelling on the moon cowards!

Stick to Velious and then you could probably add a PvP zone? and let people fuck each other up in there. 60s only maybe just use Arena but have portals to Arena in all home cities

aggresor223
08-11-2010, 06:31 PM
luclin or allow boxing once velious has been out long enough

Boxing? your kidding me right? lets not even go there..this server is trying to keep its classic feel. if people are allowed to box the server goes to junk because no one groups :mad:

hrafn
08-11-2010, 06:41 PM
luclin

i never really understand how the SoL spires/nexus ruined travel. i think that pop ruined travel. waiting on the spires was pretty much the same thing as the transporters at the docks we had. the spires werent everywhere, there was only one on each continent. also i want the beastlord class. that was the best class in any game ive ever played.

*edit* forgot to put luclin with no AA's

Truheart
08-11-2010, 06:47 PM
i love the idea of luclin w/o the plane of knowledge or the bazaar! but im down with sticking w/ velious as well!

maximum
08-11-2010, 06:48 PM
After Velious... fix all the bugs/glitches that were annoying as hell. Don't add anything, improve it.

PS: screw Luclin, screw AA, screw Vah shir

Cribanox
08-11-2010, 07:08 PM
I would like to see some instanced classic-like dungeons, maybe thats just me. I doubt we'd ever see that here though, I'm thinking it probably takes some serious hardware to run that for 1000 people.

XDrake
08-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Personally I think Velious was sort of the lore 'end game' for Norrath. The Sleeper awakens and begins the events of EQ II.

I remember reading the press release for Luclin and shaking my head... The more you add to EQ the more empty the world becomes.

I'd hate to see Oasis and EC empty again...

Reiker
08-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Personally I think Velious was sort of the lore 'end game' for Norrath. The Sleeper awakens and begins the events of EQ II.

Can't remember if I posted this already in this topic since it's old as hell.

But, a PoP-like expansion was supposed to follow Velious, lots of planes, lots of god killing, no PoK.

Cribanox
08-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Im honestly a little more excited for Nilbog's custom content ideas instead of velious. If we do add custom content, I'd want a lot of artifacts and lore. I'd love to see a lot of GM events and etc.

And also, we should do our own custom haloween event this year! Maybe give out titles or custom gear that only adds to visuals, like a haloween costume or something.

Jeice
08-11-2010, 09:59 PM
can we skip over Luclin and just implement Beastlords, Berzerkers and POP raids. Minus the Bazaar and Book Travel.

The "end" of the EQ lore as we knew it in classic.

remicon
08-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I dont want anything rushed but i enjoyed a lot of the content in luclin and pop. I also agree wholeheartedly that PoK and possibly even nexus need a level restriction.

I really think custom content would kill my interest but altered content more in line with the original trilogy is why this emu caught my eye. After PoP things got stupid due to catering to the masses in every way possible and thats the main problem with most mmos. Theres no hard mode in a mmo, you cant choose your setting and the vast majority of people want easy. Keep it fundamental you dont have to change a lot just go thru old patch notes or whatever and strip out the dumbing down.

Instances are the stupidest thing in the world it makes sense on a outside perspective. "lets let everyone do it" but with no instances each guild with a raiding interest always had something to do as long as server populations were watched. Sometimes people would be at same tier and wed have nTov trains or emp ssra camps that got nasty and it made it feel more immersive i guess gear was more special and honestly worked for. GMs got involved and set rotations for zones at some high tension times and high server pops can make that nasty, and why things like the VT key were created imo. The world has assholes Norrath is no different. I personally wouldnt of had near as much fun if there wasn't the guild rivalries and competition on the server.

When we killed OMM, CD did it hours before on same server, server first and 2nd on luclin, think it was even top 2-3 world, but it was just business as usual no one even really cared on the server. I think thats what really killed off the addiction for me. In my opinion, keeping it where you had guilds at every content level is the goal so that people have options and a gear progression they go through.

This would be a stupid amount of work i am guessing but here is an idea. I think it be a interesting twist to the rule set after SoV. I personally like keyed zones for those that dont youll hate this. Anyways

1. Guilds or Raid groups have maintained rosters.
2. Character flags maintained at a GM level for following expansions
3. Requirements set for the flags. Nothing to simple. Preferably someone with some lore knowledge writes up a quest npc. New factions can be added? You could make this interesting with some creativity.
4. All armor after velious is no drop or requires a char flag. no twinks or minimize it anyways, mobs would be on rotation more than likely or wings so no pop guild can go back and help (I think help should be able to be given when people are short something but not carried thru)
5. Leaving a guild/raid group needs to be meaningful somehow. Maybe losing your character flags and all gear you earned with them after SoV or back one tier. Having to earn them again maybe? You could not jump to a guild of same or higher progression but reform\join a new one more suited to your goals. Maybe after completing a final quest chain in pop give a final char flag
6. I am not quite sure where you could take EQ after SoV for those who do not raid or have little interest in it, but they mostly have no interest in the moon or the planes either correct? If you stripped the leveling places out of Luclin and made all the zones have higher level mobs and very little RvR you could keep the older world more populated. Wizzie spires should go in, and bazaar should be accessible but no trader mode. Personally liked the meeting hub of the nexus was a druid so i made a lot of money there. PoK had some great quests in it but i ^^^^ so i hated those stupid books from first time i saw em.
7. PvP guilds could be created and never be able to leave velious. I never played on a Zek but The crazy armor, resists, and hp of later expacs really killed pvp for me. Maybe a few player factions can be created and joined via a quest at 50 or is that what the PoD does? Factions could be race or good evil aligned or guild based, that way if you kill a pvp flagged individual you lose faction vs thier guild and at a certain faction level they can kill you regardless of pvp flag? With something like that in place you would add a whole other aspect to the game that is available. I don't really know how pvp guilds work in EQ or how they interact with pve guilds. I just keep seeing pvp requests and on my imaginary f**king world everyone is happy and smoking pot.
8. If you capped it at PoP this could work and with a good enough community and not to large it could be amazing, it has great replay value for alts and as the server aged you would have people everywhere. I guess what i miss from my old EQ days was logging into a world where things didnt always follow a routine. I am no purist i was stationed overseas and missed classic EQ-kunark, but i was around early enough to see the shift in community as things got more and more "easy mode".
9. Peoples hatred for post-luclin boggles me on most arguments minus lore. Graphics have nothing to do with lore some idiot was complaining about water in oot other day? Char models are one thing if you dont like how the new models move turn them off, there is a toggle. I knew plenty of people who were playing with pre-luclin models even in DoN. Trying to get someone that hasnt played EQ before to enjoy 11 year old graphics is incredibly frustrating. Not an issue but had to say it because i do not understand the logic in it. Its like the idiot who named his gnome biggaybuttsex i saw running around steamfont? wtf are you thinking when you think thats funny? Cool glad your proud of your sexual preference. I guess this game really does bring in the gluttons for punishment i mean imagine that guys life when he willingly names himself something like that and proclaims it fucking hilarious over and over.

Rael
08-12-2010, 08:08 AM
I would like to see:

Project1999 server "frozen" at Velios for people who want to stay classic, lvl alts, farm NToV, whatever

Then a "clone" server, Project2001, which will have everyone's characters/items from P99 ported over but will continue into Luclin/PoP for those who want to progress.

Nihilist
08-12-2010, 12:54 PM
I would like to see:

Project1999 server "frozen" at Velios for people who want to stay classic, lvl alts, farm NToV, whatever

Then a "clone" server, Project2001, which will have everyone's characters/items from P99 ported over but will continue into Luclin/PoP for those who want to progress.

I like this idea to an extent, but do as others have said and not go to the moon...just implement some of those luclin zones tied into Norrath or some such.

Bargran
08-12-2010, 01:07 PM
I would like to see:

I Approve this.

Itchybottom
08-12-2010, 01:35 PM
I agree with the not rushing things idea. Years ago when Ylosh was the core database worker (along with mystic414 and a few other key players) on ProjectEQ, the original design idea was to not implement a new expansion, or newer mobs until the old zones were completely done and bug free. Somewhere down the road, ProjectEQ lost scope of that (I think around the end of Velious, and beginning of Luclin) due to the changes associated with the old zones for the new quest content. It would actually be fantastic if the server didn't even move to Kunark until we've exhausted the Internet of information regarding classic spawn mechanics and quests. That's what lost me personally as a player to the server, precedence taken on new zones over fixing the original spawns.

Evilmog
08-12-2010, 01:41 PM

But, a PoP-like expansion was supposed to follow Velious, lots of planes, lots of god killing, no PoK.

Seeing how PoP was the expansion I got into raiding, Maybe a bit bias, but I rather enjoyed the flagging system for the expansion :)

Then of course SOE just let any joe blow into BoT and the whole fricking place is full with people rocking Fungi's...W T F!!!!

Either way, screw Luclin, give us BSTs and goto PoP :D

Dac321
08-12-2010, 01:48 PM
I like the idea of having a cloned server and being able to continue. I think that would be very fun.

guineapig
08-12-2010, 02:32 PM

Yeah, there was a thread about this a while back. Basically it was an idea on how to add all the PoP planes to the old world zones, leaving out PoK and PoT completely:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11879&highlight=planes+power

People added some pretty good ideas to the original one I wrote up.
The dream expansion thread made me think of this:

So this is all completely hypothetical of course.
I just wanted to see if I could place all the Planes of Power zones (besides Knowledge and Tranquility) in to the original trilogy in a way that would make sense.

This is what I came up with for zone connections:

on the fence:
Plane of Knowledge: would not be in the game unless it was somewhere real f'ing hard to get to like through the Tower of Frozen Shadow Mirror.
I think if it just had a single zone in zone out like that and no portals/books to anywhere else then it would be okay.
(In my original draft PoK wasn't even listed... I just added the idea based on posts below)

For the zones that are located in cities: The location of the zone in would always be the corresponding race's Cleric or Shaman guild hall. (Possibly an alter of some sort or what have you.)

This adds a little bit of challenge because obviously you will have members of the raid party that would be KoS in these cities which would further add to the importance of factions in the game. (Alternately you could just invis through the zone every time.)
Also, this creates new life for old cities.

Note that while Kunark and velious zones will be all the rage for the next couple of years, thereby lowering the classic zone populations, the introduction of this version of PoP will reignite the need for travel in the old world zones. There will be multiple options open for low level players and no matter where they go there will be some high level players hanging around as well. This is something that we never see in EQ now, except in PoK on live (or EC tunnel in the case of this server.) Instead of creating one main hub , many cities will have people in them and therefor resons for low an dhigh level players alike to revisit.

I would go as far as to say that most of the things that were added to PoK should be added to the old world cities (and Cabalis) instead.
(Druid and Wizard ports will never be useless in my vision! ;) )

For the Planes that are located within the older planes (Fear, Hate, Sky, Growth) zoning in to the next zone would be a one way ticket. This makes it not possible to use this zone line as an easy way to clear agro and jump right back in. Also the zone line to the second Plane would be somewhat deep in the zone, requiring you to clear your way to torment from Hate (unless the zone was already cleared). Whether or not you need to have killed Inny to be flagged for Torment remains in question (I could care less either way).

I’m on the fence about where to put Plane of Time so I just figured The Sleepers Tomb being the end game in Velious would be appropriate. ( EDIT: Someone suggested leaving out PoT all together... not a horrible idea. )

Level cap increased to 65 with PoP
AA's (if implemented) are capped per level and you can never get them all. You have to specialize.
Respecialization is an option via a semi-complex quest.
Minimum level requirement (if the zone is even implemented) to enter PoK (somewhere between 46 and 60).

Feel free to add your own opinions and ideas.
(Can you tell I’m bored at work?)

EDIT: Thanks for all that added ideas. I still prefer the use of starting city shaman and cleric guilds for the portals that lead to major deities but there is definitely something to be said for keeping raids from having to zone through a town. So I added both

Seritaph
08-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Personally, I'd like the server to stay with the goal of being "classic," defined as ending at Velious. I think that custom made content to expand would make the server...well custom and not classic anymore.

That said, there were some things I liked about Luclin. I don't see how you could do it without the Nexus and Bazaar as they were connection points to other zones. It would feel odd not having to run through them.

In my opinion, the Nexus wasn't that different from boats. Talk to a NPC, get a shard, wait 15 mins, get teleported to Nexus, pick a continent you want to go to (Dreadlands, Gfay, Great Divide, North Karana and Tox -- that's it, your only choices) wait another 15mins. Boom, at the Wizzie spires in whatever continent you chose. It wasn't like the PoP books where there was one for every zone, and you could get there instantly. It was easier, but not that easy. In short I liked the Nexus port system. It was still social (like boats), general travel (not specific, like books), and you could still get killed by mobs zoning in at the wrong time.

I also liked soul binders. Forgive the blasphemy, but they were a guilty pleasure of mine for characters who could not bind affinity.

Like or hate the Vah Shir, they had a nice starting quest line, that involved crafting and gave the opportunity (but not on a silver platter) to gear up a bit as you progressed in levels and learn the game mechanics. They also had tents with trainers, vendors and a bank in the newb zone, with wandering guards. I thought it was terrific. It also felt large, open and spacious.

Part of me misses Luclin, but then the server wouldn't be classic, and that's what I'm here to play.

yaeger
08-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Hard to really say what I'd expect to happen after Velious comes out. It's hard to foresee the community's attitude towards a classic-only server when they have nothing new to look forward to.

Will the majority of people keep playing this server if no new content has been released for a couple of years? Probably not.

There have been some great ideas, all of which deviate from the 'classic' sense, but a custom approach is what I think we need.

Some of the good things that happened after Velious that need to get implemented in that 'dead' time after Velious:
1) AA's - something to do outside of raids once you hit max level
2) Raids - the one thing PoP expansion did right is raids (and class balance, okay two) make druids/wizards able to port to PoTraquility, toss in a port stone in 2-3 spots for everyone else.
3) Class balance - probably the hardest juggling act of them all, and apt to piss off everyone that loses out. Everyone knows how all the classes rank up prior to the Devs even releasing an expansion. Mix it up a bit, correct weak classes in an expansion. A little goes a long ways.

Of course it's going to be a lot of work, and difficult to plan that far ahead. But that's my take on it.

Webwolf
08-13-2010, 09:07 AM

This. Also remove other near empty and meaningless zones in luclin and add druid/wiz portals instead of the stupid nexus.

Webwolf
08-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Custom content would also be an option. Pick a few cool zone maps from other expansions and populate it with the best of luclin. I wouldn't mind never seeing AAs again. I hate the grind.

thewards072
08-13-2010, 09:16 AM
I agree. Do away with PoK and the Nexus. 2 wastes of space IMO and they helped ruin the game. The most fun i had on Luclin was in The Void. That's just me though. I do enjoy. Custom content would be interesting. I liked not being able to max every AA. It allows the classes to be more specialized. Just my 2 cents.

BTW: Thanks to all the devs who've worked on this. It's amazing.

Cogwell
08-13-2010, 09:34 AM
I know its the hip thing to knock the Nexus, but

1) The ports there were extremely limited (if I remember correctly its only DL, GD, NK, and Odus). You also still had to wait up to 15 minutes for them. Going simply between DL and Odus could take as long as 30 minutes if you were unlucky. Character ports were still a much faster way to get around, and the locations you could port to were much more diverse, obviously.

2) It had a foundation in lore. The combine empire built all the wizard spires, and thats who was on the moon. Teleportation was sorta their thing.

3) The world was friggin huge at this point. To get from across the world if you couldn't find a port would essentially be occupying all your playtime. This is a game, and it should be about playing - not getting to where you can play. Even with the Nexus, it still took a long damn time to get to important places on other continents (old sebilis, for instance).

4) The overall map for luclin was a sphere, whereas the old continents were essentially flat. It required some creative tinkering with zone connections to get it to work. The Nexus played a role in the inner passageways of luclin - netherbian to shadowrest.

Cogwell
08-13-2010, 09:36 AM
The most fun i had on Luclin was in The Void.

You mean The Grey or The Deep?

Humerox
08-13-2010, 10:09 AM
I thought Nilbog plainly stated the server wasn't going custom, because that defeated the purpose.

However...I personally feel going custom after Velious DOESN'T defeat the purpose, if the classic experience was extended in a direction that Verant probably would have gone, versus Sony.

It's subjective as to what that content may have been, but clearly...easy transportation, the bazaar, and things like that would likely have not been an option.

I didn't even think Luclin was really that bad if transportation could molded into a more "classic" feel (others have mentioned excellent ideas for tie-in zones) and the bazaar was nixed.

Even tho I hate cats, and moonwalking.

Wrot
08-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I'd like to see PoP institued w/o PoK/PoT as previously outlined. I'd like to see Froglok playable characters, they had great models and animations and they have been in as a race since classic, if in a npc ugly model form only.

Given enough time after Velious if they do nothing the server will die, so I don't get the few who complain at the idea of doing something different. People would rather be playing all alone on a dead server than have something new to do? Smart.

thewards072
08-13-2010, 01:13 PM
The Grey not The Void. LOL too much IMDB yesterday.

vincin
08-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Luclin. original EQ is the best...the new shit is what ruins it

Kevris
08-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Luclin, only with lore.

Fucking akhevians, how do they work?

Malrubius
08-13-2010, 01:42 PM
This is the most misleading thread ever. I'm glad the devs chime in occasionally to tell everyone that this is all just daydreaming and that Luclin will not be on this server. PoP will not be on this server. Fairies of Fookdark will not be on this server.

Okay, back to the daydreaming. :p

Dantes
08-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Hey look at it this way - if you have everything Velious has to offer, you've seen everything and you have nothing left to do. YOU WON THE GAME! Congratulations. Now go outside and get some fucking fresh air.

Tamika
08-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Just put in the raid zones with bleeding edge difficulty and marginal upgrades as to not obsolete previous content with ideas like have already been suggested here as to how to get to them.

nagarpoe
08-15-2010, 08:43 PM

This! Great Ideas, Nilbog. Right along the lines of what I would want if there was an EQ life after Velious.

jeffd
08-15-2010, 11:19 PM
AAs and a custom expansion that followed the dragon/giants-style thing from kunark/velious would be cool, but no luclin. cats on the moon was the single stupidest fucking thing ever to happen in EQ.

Eternal-Elf
08-16-2010, 12:39 AM
Flying T-Rex's

Titanas
08-16-2010, 03:57 AM
My suggestions.

Near the end of velious bring out AA's just so the rest of the common folk can check out what they missed in late game raiding.

Release Luclin zones inside old world zones through NPC key quests or put zone ins in random dead ends.

Examples
Maybe put SSRA off of OOT and keep it the same content but change the lore up a bit.
Move VT to an NPC who would trigger you to zone in from Lfay.
Put a zone in for the Deep as a cave under BB mts.

Let people still get the Luclin experience but keep the game to old world map and play-style.

Later on after that Bring out PoP in the same mannor where you zone into Powater from kedge ect.

insertname
08-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Catch sony's attention, have them sponsor the server but keep our existing Dev's. So now Dev's have funding and we don't get sony's BS Dev's that don't give a rats ass.

I wouldn't be against paying a monthly fee.

wtf?

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
edit: to avoid double posting

DEVS: How much work would it be to implement the Aa system and not the rest of luclin?
forget POoP all together,however planes already being in game from the classic era does hold that others would exist - does it not? Each god and its plain is sort of BS, they are gods and a raid force of mortals is going to attack - not to mention- kill them? yeah ok. However the elemental type plains maybe...

As for the cats and beatlords, EQ2 did away with vashire and just did what should have been done - Kerra. The whole idea that the hole explosion threw a band of Kerra into space and they landed on the moon is a bit much I agree however that could be use in that the explosion was like a wizy port to an island or some little use zone some where. Being secluded they followed a different path and Beast lords came to be...however being half shaman and half monk perhaps the ashen order, or silent fists have something to do with it keeping their location secret or, being monks and all, they where there as missionaries. And they could be the ONLY race to be beast lords ( I mean seriously, an Oger or troll monk? Barb monk - well maybe barbs being a good race and more open to human monk missionaries) As for Iksar having monks and shaman.... maybe they could come up with it on their own... maybe.

sorry if this was all said or such, I'm short on time.....however at least AA is some form :)

Tiggles
08-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Luclin

Gwence
08-13-2011, 06:09 PM
woot tiggles, your first intelligent post. I agree completely!

Kobias
08-13-2011, 07:01 PM
If your going to pursue Luclin:

Cap the amount of AAs you're allowed to have.
Allow AAs to be reset/re-picked somehow.
Revamp VT: Lower trash HP & Density, reduce boss spawn re-spawn timers (1 week is excessive). Do not require Emperor's part for the key. We don't need another Trakanon-style key poopsocking camp.
No Horses -- Medding on a horse is the lamest EQ thing ever IMO.
No Luclin PC Models
Get the old version Bazaar back in action, please. The one with the Arena!
Make Lcea Katta actually worth raiding, since Lord Seru is/was.
Put the Casino in; Add in Manastones ;)
Figure out a cosmetic money sink, to consume plat for the rich players...to drive economy prices down. Horses did this, but they're so... -_-

Guess that's what comes to mind first. Such a long way off though, I know.

SupaflyIRL
08-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Cap the amount of AAs you're allowed to have.
Allow AAs to be reset/re-picked somehow.
Revamp VT: Lower trash HP & Density, reduce boss spawn re-spawn timers (1 week is excessive). Do not require Emperor's part for the key. We don't need another Trakanon-style key poopsocking camp.
No Horses -- Medding on a horse is the lamest EQ thing ever IMO.
No Luclin PC Models
Get the old version Bazaar back in action, please. The one with the Arena!
Make Lcea Katta actually worth raiding, since Lord Seru is/was.
Figure out a cosmetic money sink, to consume plat for the rich players...to drive economy prices down. Horses did this, but they're so... -_-

Guess that's what comes to mind first. Such a long way off though, I know.

Do bolded things, there are like 25 bosses in VT that all drop end game quality loot, that makes up for the respawn, and the trash makes it so you cant clear it all in 45 mins.

superapan
08-13-2011, 07:30 PM
You people who ask for custom content are retards. What kind of game would that be? Of course the next step is Luclin. Just the way it was. It wasn't perfect, but which expansion was? Personally I found Kunark to blow pretty hard: one thousand shades of brown.

bluejam
08-13-2011, 07:39 PM
It wasn't perfect, but which expansion was?
Velious.

Yea, I was thinking about how we could solve the inflation on this server (just look at EC prices). There's so much cash floating around. Maybe have some GM controlled lottery every month or so. Buy a ticket for 1-50k (0.5-25% chance to win?). I dunno, could be anything from jewelry gems to Guise of the Deceiver (buyout @ 250k? *g*)

Kassel
08-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Server wipe then expansion reset the day Luclin is supposed to come out

Ennoia
08-13-2011, 07:43 PM
I'd rather have a completely custom game after Velious than rebuild that fail. Cats on the moon not happening on my watch.

Kobias
08-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Do bolded things, there are like 25 bosses in VT that all drop end game quality loot, that makes up for the respawn, and the trash makes it so you cant clear it all in 45 mins.

There are 3 key bosses (Front door, and 2 for the towers) that you should get for your pullers/rogue (can't remember if rogues can pick those or not). They're on a short timer re-spawn, something like 12 or 24 hours iirc and don't drop anything other than keys.

There are 3 blob bosses, 3 first-floor akheva bosses, 3 second-floor akheva bosses, Mini-Aten and Aten Ha Ra. Pretty sure I didn't miss any, and that comes to 11 total. Still, quite a loot fest. I'd personally like to see them have more of a variable spawn time, as not to have them all up on one visit.

I agree that I don't want VT to turn into Tacvi (1 boss-1 trash-1 boss-1-trash). I'm not sure if you've ever done VT before PoP came out, but having done it myself it was a miserable crawl. After every door there is usually spawn-triggered mobs, usually 4. Plus whatever is in the room. They each have 100k+ HP, cast PB AE Blind, amongst other things. You can't invis past most places either. Trash respawn is very fast (like 6 minutes?); If you wipe, your screwed and have to return to your previous CoH mage point unless you had a cleric camp out behind, and were lucky enough to res a few people to hold off the waves of respawns on you.

IMO what most people didn't like about VT was the horribly long crawl; this is why they setup CoH dedicated Mages in pre-determined spots. Ideally, VT is *the* raid zone of Luclin era, so trying to find some way of improving it would be nice.

I remember spending 12 hours raiding everything in VT one Saturday @ Level 60. It ended at 4am.. ugh.

Kobias
08-13-2011, 07:59 PM
No luclin models has got to be the god damn stupidest request I have ever seen. Turn them off if you don't want to use them you retard.

RnF >> This way >>
http://www.project1999.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30.

But yeah, anyway--Having read a lot of opinions on the matter, in other posts: They're lame. Fine, some people like them, I will acknowledge that. IMO, Luclin is where EQ diverged from classic-style, and Luclin models remind me of this fact.

I will note however, it's impossible to not enable luclin models on the server & have maps enabled globally if LoY ever comes into play (Expansion flag must be set to LoY for maps, and LoY > Luclin in the series). So.. you might get your wish someday =)

SupaflyIRL
08-13-2011, 07:59 PM
There are 3 key bosses (Front door, and 2 for the towers) that you should get for your pullers/rogue (can't remember if rogues can pick those or not). They're on a short timer re-spawn, something like 12 or 24 hours iirc and don't drop anything other than keys.

There are 3 blob bosses, 3 first-floor akheva bosses, 3 second-floor akheva bosses, Mini-Aten and Aten Ha Ra. Pretty sure I didn't miss any, and that comes to 11 total. Still, quite a loot fest. I'd personally like to see them have more of a variable spawn time, as not to have them all up on one visit.

I agree that I don't want VT to turn into Tacvi (1 boss-1 trash-1 boss-1-trash). I'm not sure if you've ever done VT before PoP came out, but having done it myself it was a miserable crawl. After every door there is usually spawn-triggered mobs, usually 4. Plus whatever is in the room. They each have 100k+ HP, cast PB AE Blind, amongst other things. You can't invis past most places either. Trash respawn is very fast (like 6 minutes?); If you wipe, your screwed and have to return to your previous CoH mage point unless you had a cleric camp out behind, and were lucky enough to res a few people to hold off the waves of respawns on you.

IMO what most people didn't like about VT was the horribly long crawl; this is why they setup CoH dedicated Mages in pre-determined spots. Ideally, VT is *the* raid zone of Luclin era, so trying to find some way of improving it would be nice.

I remember spending 12 hours raiding everything in VT one Saturday @ Level 60. It ended at 4am.. ugh.

Yes, I did VT when it was current. Varying the spawn timers makes it even worse since that means you'll likely be clearing four bosses worth of trash to get to the one that spawned all the way in the back etc. The way VT worked was you killed bosses to despawn deathtouching warders blocking the way.

Kobias
08-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Yes, I did VT when it was current. Varying the spawn timers makes it even worse since that means you'll likely be clearing four bosses worth of trash to get to the one that spawned all the way in the back etc. The way VT worked was you killed bosses to despawn deathtouching warders blocking the way.

lol, right.. I hated those. I suppose that's a good point though. We did most of VT stuff before they added those. They were put in because people were rushing Aten first iirc, and prioritizing bosses.

I guess, maybe if they just reduced the trash HP, it might solve some of the problem. A full clear within 5 hours doesn't seem like that much to ask. You could possibly go a step further and make VT's bosses completely respawn together, kind of like CT-Dread-Fright-Terror-Dracoliche, which lets other guilds be competitive for different tower bosses.

VT reminds me of VP a little, except that VP had far less annoying trash :-p

insertname
08-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by nilbog
I'd rather have a completely custom game after Velious than rebuild that fail. Cats on the moon not happening on my watch.

HERE (http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/faction.html?faction=18)
Interesting Faction Idea...
#Apr 21 2001 at 5:57 AMRating: Decent
Kyrsi
9 posts
I've been reading through the old posts here on the Kerran faction, and noticed a lot of people saying things changing from indif to apprehensive, or dubious to apprehensive and the like.. Basicly, all bad/good deads erased to apprehensive..

I have a feeling it has absolutely nothing to do with who you've killed or done otherwise, no mystieriously unlisted faction hit for the Kerrans, but the simple fact that Kerrans are supposed to be the new playable race coming up.

It makes perfect sense... Verant started working on this in the begining of this year, so would have started making small changes to prepare the area for PC kitties, such as removing the heritics, giving Mitty's Paw rings to another NPC, etc, so you don't have to kill her (killing player town people seems frowned upon and all).. But the most noticable thing I can think of is this-

Most 'neutral' monster start off Indifferent to players. All townsmembers that are not familar to you and your quests/kills for them, say, FP's guards to a RV halfing visiting for the first time, start off as Apprehensive, instead..

It looks like, in preparing to make this spot a player town (which is only a guess that this is the actual zone the karrens will start in, but to be honest, it's already mapped that it'd make a perfect town), they clensed the faction to a more townlike setting.

I guess it really depends on how long ago people were dubous when they last checked, to know for sure.
Note to self: I am NOT a tank

it could work.

wrxBRAH
08-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Wipe it clean and start fresh with a pvp type server/pvp raidzones whatever is more liked.

Rainflush
08-13-2011, 10:07 PM
I'd say PVP options and perhaps some custom content if that's feasible. If Luclin were released on P99 I'd stop playing, though I'd be interested in some reasonable approximation of the AA system (and perhaps halfling and gnome hybrids). It's a tricky issue because there is always pressure for these games to expand, but as they do they rapidly outmode older content while simultaneously running out of good ideas. The numbers go up and the quality goes down, and before you know it Gaudralek and Palladius' Axe of Slaughter are one sixth as powerful as some tacky piece of shit with a spelling error in it's name...

insertname
08-13-2011, 10:18 PM
right so AA's would be a way to expand on the game with out making the content up to and including velious trivial. Think about it, AA's really are only available after 51 (which Im sure the devs could tweek to any level they think would be better for p99...if not then we roll with AA@ 51....) so its away to flesh out your high end character and have fun planing and crunching number ( if thats your thing) for the massive army of alts that will spring up :).... and I still like the Kerra idea.

Trelaboon
08-13-2011, 10:21 PM
I definitely think adding AA's modified for the levels they'd be used would be great. It would give 60's plenty to do after they were released, and it would be a way to make Rangers and Wizards viable.

Vohl
08-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Luclin, but only in a very limited sense.

Add AAs, plus raid content. Ditch Vah Shir, Beastlords and most of the stupid alien moon junk. Make remaining zones require EB, much like The Grey. Make the moon an unpopulated, hostile hellhole accessed only via wizard spells.

Taminy
08-13-2011, 10:32 PM
I liked Luclin to be honest. Some of it could be retuned of course. I think it did still fit the vision. PoP I think did not. Some of the raid content was cool, but way too much mudflation and other issues.

Luclin and/or custom content IMO.

Rainflush
08-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Luclin, but only in a very limited sense.

Add AAs, plus raid content. Ditch Vah Shir, Beastlords and most of the stupid alien moon junk. Make remaining zones require EB, much like The Grey. Make the moon an unpopulated, hostile hellhole accessed only via wizard spells.

That's an interesting idea, I like the idea of the moon as an airless death hole. It would of course be difficult to implement properly and any venture beyond Velious poses a definite risk to the integrity of the server. On an unrelated note, why wasn't the sky grey in "The Grey", the only grey about "The Grey" was the rock, and I for one was entirely disappointed having expected a truly dismal and oppressive atmosphere.

Nytewind TP
08-13-2011, 11:22 PM
I'd like to see:
The AAs
Beastlords, but no Vah Shir. Let Ogres, Trolls, Iksar, and Barbs create them.
I love EC Tunnel, but the first bazaar I thought was useful.
Throw in The Nexus along with the NK, Odus, GF and DL Nexus points.

Main SoL zones would have to be looked over, yes the alien things are off putting.

SupaflyIRL
08-13-2011, 11:29 PM
That's an interesting idea, I like the idea of the moon as an airless death hole. It would of course be difficult to implement properly and any venture beyond Velious poses a definite risk to the integrity of the server. On an unrelated note, why wasn't the sky grey in "The Grey", the only grey about "The Grey" was the rock, and I for one was entirely disappointed having expected a truly dismal and oppressive atmosphere.

Because there was no atmosphere? You literally learned nothing in highschool science.

Rainflush
08-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Because there was no atmosphere? You literally learned nothing in highschool science.

Hm, but if there is no atmosphere at all then why was the sky blue in the Grey? Wouldn't it be black? Earth has a blue sky because of the way the sunlight refracts as it passes through the atmospheric gasses, does it not? Anyway, I'm digressing from the subject of the thread, nevermind.

Yukahwa
08-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Luclin obsoleted kunark and half of the old world or more

Bazaar destroys the EC trading community where people can level up as noobs and see a lot of high levels passing through.

Free ports ruin the experience of begging druids and wizards for ports and the community around druid rings

If we wanted luclin expansion we should just play live..Luclin was the turning point and there are 100x servers that offer the new everquest already. Velious should be as far as this one goes IMO.

Hailto
08-14-2011, 12:22 AM
I must be the only person on P1999 that actually liked Luclin.

Rainflush
08-14-2011, 12:36 AM

Bazaar destroys the EC trading community where people can level up as noobs and see a lot of high levels passing through.

Free ports ruin the experience of begging druids and wizards for ports and the community around druid rings

If we wanted luclin expansion we should just play live..Luclin was the turning point and there are 100x servers that offer the new everquest already. Velious should be as far as this one goes IMO.

Amen to that.

mokfarg
08-14-2011, 12:39 AM
PVP:

(totally different experience to lvl up with pvp, so i can see people rerolling, and it takes way longer to lvl so people would be occupied for a long time)

- Guild wars. Either plain ole regular GW, or something like special guild wars where if your guild gets flagged by your guild leader, then your guild is at war with every other guild on the server which is also flagged in the same way.

- Possibly in the form of reds being able to group with blues to lvl, so its not such a pain in the ass to go red.

- Project M (name?) Possibly players being able to control monsters in events, something like an orc raid on Freeport, spider infestation in Erudin. This could also be NPC mobs but just trying to throw ideas out there.

-------------------

- Custom events like the Halloween 2001 one, with custom mobs and custom loot.

Great ideas, doesn't break the classic server

mokfarg
08-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Ideas I liked from above and additional ones:

- custom AAs
- Player controlled mobs for possible events
- Earn titles for achievements in game
- Guild wars
- rested xp bonus
- never implement Luclin and Beyond!
- Open another server with only the original game then progress again!

(I think it would be wonderful if you guys ever do turn this classic server into a custom server, maybe provide someone else the classic work you have performed to open another classic server or at least create another classic server yourself. It would be a sad day after all this time people waited for classic for it to be gone again forever!)

Saeculum
08-14-2011, 04:07 AM
Personally, I think we should skip SoL (other than AA's--possiblly limited--and maybe the Kerra for Val' Shir idea, though I'd rather have Frogloks) an go strait to PoP.I think PoK would be fine, just make it restricted to a singular port in the EC tunnel. That way travel isn't trivialized and the trading scene is simply moved one zone away from where it currently is. I quit mid PoP, but found it pretty fun for both single groups and raids (and as an enchanter, it gave me something to do in a group setting for the first time since post-Kael Velious). That said, as a late arrival, I wouldn't mind a post sleeper reset or new server either. Considering that most of us likely have the ability to research classic EQ ad nauseum, it'd be fun to get a chance to camp some of the time limited, rare item camps again and it would possibly attract new players with similar mindsets. Honestly, I'm not really here for the nostalgia; I simply think early EQ was one of the last challenging games to be made and I could play a classic to SoV loop over and over again as time permits.

sacrilegium
08-14-2011, 04:37 AM
I would like to not see Luclin released. That would render every 12-20 zone useless as everyone heads straight to PC.

I do miss the rested hp/mana regeneration, i wouldn't mind if that was implemented. Downtime is the worst thing about classic, in my opinion. The horrible exp & travelling is one thing, but having to wait 15 min to refill mana and get the horrible exp slowly is abominable.

SupaflyIRL
08-14-2011, 08:18 AM

No.

EC tunnel destroys the ability to purchase newbie gear, bazaar makes selling things easier and less hands on so more items enter the market and easy price competition drives down prices. This lowers the barrier to entry on the server as low level gear becomes more affordable.

People only really used the spires if they already checked for ports and couldn't find any. People are impatient and the spires take time.

Luclin was not the turning point, afaik all the goofy shit came in post PoP starting with either gates or omens (I didn't play either of these but that's what I hear)

Luclin boasted class balance, three excellent raid zones, and actually CREATED the everquest economy. Who the hell wants to spend their play time hitting a macro trying to buy or sell things for hours on end? Who doesn't want MORE content as two guilds currently run around mopping up every single raid boss?

Maben
08-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Things I loved about Luclin:

-AAs
-Bazaar
-There were some cool zones and I actually enjoyed the updated graphics

Things I disliked:

-Horses

Even if Luclin doesn't get implemented (which they said it won't) I would really hope they put in AAs. As it stands now, there's already going to be a significant population of 60s when Velious gets released. Some people are fine rolling alt after alt but I'd rather have some way of advancing my character other than farming giants over and over for max faction.

Edit: I agree with the poster above me. Luclin was fine but PoP really killed the game for me. Free teleports to anywhere, not actually being on Norrath at all anymore, and the subsequent expansions were all pretty stupid IMO.

mokfarg
08-14-2011, 09:50 AM
I would like to not see Luclin released. That would render every 12-20 zone useless as everyone heads straight to PC.

I do miss the rested hp/mana regeneration, i wouldn't mind if that was implemented. Downtime is the worst thing about classic, in my opinion. The horrible exp & travelling is one thing, but having to wait 15 min to refill mana and get the horrible exp slowly is abominable.

This wouldn't take away from classic to me. I wouldn't mind having a faster mana and hp regen. Nothing crazy of course but it would be better than 15 minutes. :)

mokfarg
08-14-2011, 09:52 AM
No.

EC tunnel destroys the ability to purchase newbie gear, bazaar makes selling things easier and less hands on so more items enter the market and easy price competition drives down prices. This lowers the barrier to entry on the server as low level gear becomes more affordable.

People only really used the spires if they already checked for ports and couldn't find any. People are impatient and the spires take time.

Luclin was not the turning point, afaik all the goofy shit came in post PoP starting with either gates or omens (I didn't play either of these but that's what I hear)

Luclin boasted class balance, three excellent raid zones, and actually CREATED the everquest economy. Who the hell wants to spend their play time hitting a macro trying to buy or sell things for hours on end? Who doesn't want MORE content as two guilds currently run around mopping up every single raid boss?

Alien Cats on a moon? I think that is some goofy shit.

Rhaj
08-14-2011, 10:13 AM
I definitely think they should stop at Velious.

Taminy
08-14-2011, 10:14 AM

I think Luclin had some goofy shit, but it didn't have extreme mudflation like PoP. Luclin gear had 125hp instead of 100hp. PoP gear, 300hp stuff, wtf :p

5 extra levels also obsoleted the entire old world. Luclin didn't really obsolete anything (other than some but certainly not all raid content), since they were just AAs. At least you could still grind AAs in kunark/velious zones and even a couple of old world zones. In PoP with the extra 5 levels, experience changes, and PoP ZEMs there was no point to doing anything other than PoP zones.

The Bazaar, horses, and new models were stupid. Nexus was not that bad (plus it could be altered) but PoK was also utterly game destroying.

mokfarg
08-14-2011, 10:20 AM
I think Luclin had some goofy shit, but it didn't have extreme mudflation like PoP. Luclin gear had 125hp instead of 100hp. PoP gear, 300hp stuff, wtf :p

5 extra levels also obsoleted the entire old world. Luclin didn't really obsolete anything (other than some but certainly not all raid content), since they were just AAs. At least you could still grind AAs in kunark/velious zones and even a couple of old world zones. In PoP with the extra 5 levels, experience changes, and PoP ZEMs there was no point to doing anything other than PoP zones.

The Bazaar, horses, and new models were stupid. Nexus was not that bad (plus it could be altered) but PoK was also utterly game destroying.

I find being on the moon killing aliens over the top for the great classic fantasy game EQ was but that is just me.

Taminy
08-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I find being on the moon killing aliens over the top for the great classic fantasy game EQ was but that is just me.

Well, the scenery/lore/content (not in terms of loot or challenge) may have been over the top and I can agree with that. Dorfs/giants/dragons > aliens. I just meant there was still a point to the older expansions with Luclin - whereas with PoP there was no point to them.

SupaflyIRL
08-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Rodcet Nife is an alien and there are spaceships in classic. Take off those rose tinted glasses Cyclops.

Kingofqueens123
08-14-2011, 02:13 PM
luclin

Treylin
08-15-2011, 12:37 AM
One word:

Moria

Just add a really, really large dungeon to the classic world. You can expand it endlessly as new tunnels are "cleared" or dug. No need for aliens, bazaars, or space travel.

One site could be the ancient city under the NRo desert.

Haul
08-15-2011, 12:44 AM

LOL

abedog
08-15-2011, 05:48 AM
I am all for custom content beyond Velious. But that would make the server no longer classic.
Haynar

Hate to break it to you but the server didn't launch 100% classic so there is not need to try and keep up the facade that p99 is a classic server of any type. That being said I am all for luclin content raiding Ssra was some of the most fun in EQ and the planes had some great raid content.

I vote for simliar to luclin AA but still custom

No bazaar
No nexus
No Poknowledge

I love the idea of having zone in to plane of water in kedge and Pofire in Sol Ro temple. Ssra temple could be in Charasis for shits? Vexar?

nilbog
08-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Hate to break it to you but the server didn't launch 100% classic so there is not need to try and keep up the facade that p99 is a classic server of any type.

lol

azeth
08-15-2011, 08:11 AM

Wipe the entire server once Warder 4 dies and start fresh after Kerafyrm drops everyone :p

I assume it'd be an impossible amount of work to undo Kunark/Velious patches though, perhaps everyone would be allowed to level 1-60 under Velious after the wipe.

Hottbiscuits Dreadmuffin
08-15-2011, 11:36 AM
I feel that most of the Planes in PoP were rushed, generic textured and overall bland. I would love to see the PoP planes completely redesigned with classic textures, better layouts and a feel akin to Classic, Kunark and Velious.

Plane of Disease was more like "Plane of Things That Look Nasty Under a Microscope" crossed with "Stuff In a Broken Garbage Disposal"

Some of the mobs were appropriate, that really big guy with the missing skin and the nipple ring... But replace the trees with giant hair..? Make the ground look like pock-marked skin? Texture the pools of water to look like someone dumped antifreeze in them? Meh.

It rains blood sometimes in Plane of Fear.
In Plane of Hate, little messages appear often that suggest your groupmates may soon turn or die on you, and you can really only trust yourself.
In Plane of Mischief, gorillas wear monocles.

Bertoxxulous is the god of disease, death and decay. I see lepers, rotting corpses in tattered clothes, skeletons, plague-ridden monsters that land killer DoTs and malosi. A church-graveyard of victims of Bertox who can't ever leave the Plane, or else their bodies will fall apart.

Not little green patterned rats and larvae that live in a forest of really big hair.

Plane of Nightmare was really a pleasant place to go. Rich violet skies sprinkled with glowing white stars; lush emerald grass that looked comfy enough to sleep in. Snuggable rainbow-patterned butterfly-faerie-things that made really funny sounds when you hit them.

Terris Thule is the scorcher of dreams, the Freddy Kruger of EverQuest. Why, pray tell, are there butterflies and pretty music anywhere near her?

Port into a Bizzaro-world version of West Freeport, crawling with mutations and walking-on-land fish with really big teeth and hollow dinner-plate eyes. Walk through one of the gates and you're on a Kelethin platform, but all of the elves are dead every time you walk off a platform you swim into a lava wall.

Trapp
08-15-2011, 12:46 PM
luclin

What he said!

Zalgyr
08-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Luclin.

Ssra was the shit. VT less so but still manageable. AAs. No level expansion.

Wiz
08-15-2011, 12:59 PM
I would like to see something done about how guilds raid on this server this poopshockin is just unreal and this server should give other guilds a chance at some of this content or your gonna lose alot of your player base.

just my 2cents

nilbog
08-15-2011, 01:00 PM
I would like to see something done about how guilds raid on this server this poopshockin is just unreal and this server should give other guilds a chance at some of this content or your gonna lose alot of your player base.

just my 2cents

Wrong thread, brodog. Post in Rants and Flames.

Gwence
08-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Luclin doesn't negate past expansion zones, if anything it populates them more. No one xp's in luclin for the most part, except maybe paludal caverns, if you're going for AA you can ae group in Fungus Grove I guess, but most people will go back to seb, hs, velk, chardok etc etc for grouping xp. The luclin zones are shitty xp and mobs have quite a bit of hp/ac.

All in all Luclin was a fantastic expansion and should be considered classic imo. It was hard and had alot of really cool tough quests which essentially is what Everquest is all about.

I hope they open it, or let someone else take over the reigns and continue on if it's not their cup of tea.

Please no custom content.

nilbog
08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
I hope they open it, or let someone else take over the reigns and continue on if it's not their cup of tea.

We don't develop because people want it to exist. We do it because we want it to exist... :P

superapan
08-15-2011, 03:37 PM
We don't develop because people want it to exist. We do it because we want it to exist... :P
I've played so many megalomanic MUDs in the past with exactly that perception. But ten for effort so far <3.

azeth
08-15-2011, 03:41 PM

this statement seemed philosophical when i breezed over it, but upon further inspection 'tis not.

i first thought of "hmm is this a bear shits in the woods paradox or?" then thought "oh this is like if a tree falls on the bear, does anyone hear him shit"

Nytewind TP
08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
All in all custom might hurt some people from liking P99. If Luclin is touched then you can't just do somethings you like and not others. Then that would be a custom server. I didn't like the alien feel to it, but I did like the AAs, the Beastlord class, and many of the items that droped in SoL were pretty cool and fun to have. Centi swords and Earring of the Soltice quest. ;)

Rainflush
08-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Luclin doesn't negate past expansion zones, if anything it populates them more. No one xp's in luclin for the most part, except maybe paludal caverns, if you're going for AA you can ae group in Fungus Grove I guess, but most people will go back to seb, hs, velk, chardok etc etc for grouping xp. The luclin zones are shitty xp and mobs have quite a bit of hp/ac.

All in all Luclin was a fantastic expansion and should be considered classic imo. It was hard and had alot of really cool tough quests which essentially is what Everquest is all about.

Please no custom content.

I would say Luclin is actually a piss-poor expansion which vandalized the game with ugly, incongruous graphics and superannuated the majority of the games antecedent items. Lamentations and Deathbringer Rods get replaced by pink swords and goofy sideways skull maces, personally I find that quite depressing. Shadows of Luclin was at best a half-hearted attempt by SOE to keep the EQ ship afloat amid the threat of technologically superior competitors, and it shows. It's been said before, if you want that sort of rubbish you can find it on live or on any other EQEmu server.

nilbog
08-15-2011, 04:58 PM
this statement seemed philosophical when i breezed over it, but upon further inspection 'tis not.

i first thought of "hmm is this a bear shits in the woods paradox or?" then thought "oh this is like if a tree falls on the bear, does anyone hear him shit"

If an individual wants something to exist, they begin working on it, or if they want it badly enough, they pay someone to work on it.

We don't work on demand for free; we develop in our spare time for free. Our development is based on our own interests. At the moment, our interests are the same as the mission goal.. and the majority of the playerbase : classic everquest. Therefore, we share a common goal. If people ask for things we do not want to do, why would we spend our free time developing something we do not want?

This is the difference between developing for money (job).. and developing for fun (hobby). We don't make money, so we won't develop Luclin on demand. If we did, it would be because we want to do so.

Apply this to a hobby of your own. Say.. you're an artist. You provide paintings for free, expecting no more than that people might like them. You might paint Impressionist style, but you loathe Cubism. If people ask you for Cubism paintings.. you would say, no, I'm an impressionist.

I didn't like Luclin, so I won't be using my spare time to recreate it.

nymphloa
08-15-2011, 05:03 PM
If an individual wants something to exist, they begin working on it, or if they want it badly enough, they pay someone to work on it.

We don't work on demand for free; we develop in our spare time for free. Our development is based on our own interests. At the moment, our interests are the same as the mission goal.. and the majority of the playerbase : classic everquest. Therefore, we share a common goal. If people ask for things we do not want to do, why would we spend our free time developing something we do not want?

This is the difference between developing for money (job).. and developing for fun (hobby). We don't make money, so we won't develop Luclin on demand. If we did, it would be because we want to do so.

Apply this to a hobby of your own. Say.. you're an artist. You provide paintings for free, expecting no more than that people might like them. You might paint Impressionist style, but you loathe Cubism. If people ask you for Cubism paintings.. you would say, no, I'm an impressionist.

I didn't like Luclin, so I won't be using my spare time to recreate it.

So happy to hear that bud, imo Luclin onwards killed the game for me! even though I only quit live last year when I found this server.

Keep up the great work guys and girls! "Were in your world now!"

Fourthmeal
08-15-2011, 05:05 PM
think outside the bun

garyogburn
08-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Luclin implemented alot of good new ideas that kept the game fresh. The bazaar is widely panned on these forums, but it didnt take anything away from the haggling/negotiating that everyone is worried about.

But AA's were the best thing to happen to EQ. I honestly dont see why people are against them. They made it so gear wasnt the only way to customize your toon, and you could fill roles you couldnt before. Everyone became more valuable to a group, and everyone became more versatile.

Id say it would be good if AAs were implemented even if luclin wasnt, and devs created content that they feel should of been in place of luclin. Maybe even create new AA trees. Because if theres nothing to do post 60 in velious with no new content in sight, this server will lose its population quickly.

Hogie
08-15-2011, 05:50 PM
I would love to see AA's (to a extent) and dev created content of what THEY thought should of come after Vel. The team that put together P99 are clearly a very skilled group of programmers. If they want to develop their own type of expansion that fits the gear set and era that would of come after Vel I would love to see that.

mokfarg
08-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Wipe the entire server once Warder 4 dies and start fresh after Kerafyrm drops everyone :p

I assume it'd be an impossible amount of work to undo Kunark/Velious patches though, perhaps everyone would be allowed to level 1-60 under Velious after the wipe.

I am sure they have backups of different points in the server's life. They may have even planned for this. :)

mokfarg
08-15-2011, 06:08 PM
For the first go around we have went pure classic. I would love to see a second server along the side of classic next with Nilbog's tweaks on how he thought EQ could have been.

That would be fun and interesting considering what a great group of devs we have and what a solid product they would have to work with.

What would Nilbog change? I am curious. Would he tweak the classes any? Would he possibly add his own custom AAs? :D

visage
08-15-2011, 06:14 PM

I would think they back up prepatches etc and date things. So they can revert if they ever needed to. Just my guess.

mokfarg
08-15-2011, 06:16 PM
I would love to see AA's (to a extent) and dev created content of what THEY thought should of come after Vel. The team that put together P99 are clearly a very skilled group of programmers. If they want to develop their own type of expansion that fits the gear set and era that would of come after Vel I would love to see that.

The problem with this is other servers have tried and it looks goofy as hell. I may be wrong but I believe they are unable to create new zones only use existing and add things to them. That is what I have seen anyway on these other goofy servers. The zones were designed to come together, once you take a random zone and stick it somewhere then it is goofy and doesn't fit.

You end up with a game where you can obviously tell it was suppose to be a different way. Look how screwed up Shards of Dalaya looks. Changes names of things yet you can still see the old signs up .. ridiculous. Zones moved, just looks like a patched together mess. I do like some things about SoD like their custom AAs and that they played around with tweaking the classes.

Hogie
08-16-2011, 11:56 AM
The problem with this is other servers have tried and it looks goofy as hell. I may be wrong but I believe they are unable to create new zones only use existing and add things to them. That is what I have seen anyway on these other goofy servers. The zones were designed to come together, once you take a random zone and stick it somewhere then it is goofy and doesn't fit.

You end up with a game where you can obviously tell it was suppose to be a different way. Look how screwed up Shards of Dalaya looks. Changes names of things yet you can still see the old signs up .. ridiculous. Zones moved, just looks like a patched together mess. I do like some things about SoD like their custom AAs and that they played around with tweaking the classes.

Completely true, you are right.

One thing you could do though is take a existing zone and create a new version of it in a instance form. How fun would it be to have a lvl 60 version of Crushbone? Common I know everyone in this game has a grudge on Crushbone for some reason or another :)

Nytewind TP
08-16-2011, 01:00 PM
How about nice and easy (thinking at least)

Bring in AAs and Beastlord class available to all races that it applies minus the Vah Shir...

Nedala
08-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Id be fine with luclin if there was no nexus , no bazaar and no aliens :)

Oh and no classic models eww

Nytewind TP
08-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Id be fine with luclin if there was no nexus , no bazaar and no aliens :)

Oh and no classic models eww

I'd love new models back, but how would we get to Luclin without The Nexus? ;)

bakkily
08-16-2011, 01:35 PM
to me, luclin still seems to be close to the classic setting, then pop + expansions, everything in the moon i enjoyed, but i'm guessing if they went to add luclin, they should reprogram some of the very powerfull items, mobs, to more of classic eq

Ulivar
08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
But AA's were the best thing to happen to EQ. I honestly dont see why people are against them. They made it so gear wasnt the only way to customize your toon, and you could fill roles you couldnt before. Everyone became more valuable to a group, and everyone became more versatile.

Id say it would be good if AAs were implemented even if luclin wasnt, and devs created content that they feel should of been in place of luclin. Maybe even create new AA trees. Because if theres nothing to do post 60 in velious with no new content in sight, this server will lose its population quickly.

this, aa's were not bad, if you wana hit the highest end content the second you ding max, too bad you need gear first, same goes with aa's people acting like oh no i dont want aas because they become required to do high end stuff just shouldn't play..because thats the game anyways...gear...aa's..not much of a diff.

bakkily
08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
aa's are great thing for those who want to stick to what ever class they like to play, figuring now, people get lvl 60, raid all the zones, or get the best gear they can, and roll alts, but with aa's it allows one to even advance their char beyond where they're currently at after getting all the best gear, so i dont see it as a bad thing

what will they do after velious is out, re release a new classic server in 2013?

Ulivar
08-16-2011, 01:52 PM

really the nexus wasn't too terrible, it only went to 4 zones around the world i think (i duno its been awhile), not like how pop was with zones to every major city, which made it way too easy, and it wasn't instant either, you still had to wait 15 or so minutes before a port would go off, somewhat like waiting on a boat. Pop had instant gratification, which took the time out of travel, that is where the problem really started originating, that and the awful flagging and constant back flagging to be done just for a guild to progress. (which of course made cockblocking too common place)

bluejam
08-16-2011, 03:20 PM
aa's are great thing for those who want to stick to what ever class they like to play, figuring now, people get lvl 60, raid all the zones, or get the best gear they can, and roll alts, but with aa's it allows one to even advance their char beyond where they're currently at after getting all the best gear, so i dont see it as a bad thing

what will they do after velious is out, re release a new classic server in 2013?
Yes.

..and as long as this one keeps running / people are found that will tweak, rebalance and adjust some custom content for SoL and PoP (that's a shitload of stuff to keep people busy for a while), I am all for it! :)

Kope
08-16-2011, 03:33 PM

I was on TZ for Luclin and the nexus killed PvP. This is the reason most PvP players complained about SoL. The only reason i'm mentioning that is I'm wondering how the nexus is bad on PvE servers as well? I haven't actually heard the reason for it.

Also, I think AAs were a great idea. Being able to advance your character past a straight level point was fun for me. Even though people mainly went for the same AAs because some were just so important for raids, you had the option to be different than any other person of your class. It added a small portion of true individuality.

bakkily
08-16-2011, 03:55 PM
aa's aint a bad idea at all, though when i came back to eq after leaving when velious just came out, we played 4 months after luclin was out, but still didnt play alot till pop came out, classic i was 11, luclin/pop 14, so played mostly from ages 14-16ish, but i was a immature kid that could'nt sit his rog ass down so never got groups alot till rest of my family started up again, and was taught how to play

but growing up on mmo's learned how to play them very well and work with strategy in a group, though the strat is more to raiding, i just dont want to see this server die, because most people here, know what a real mmo is about

stormlord
08-16-2011, 04:05 PM
There is no post-velious because the world ends in 2012.

You'd be lucky to be alive - though not happy to be. Only people with computers are locked inside miltary installations watching reruns of old shows and wondering when they'll be able to return to the surface. EQ will be old mushy torn up manuals buried in forsaken grown over long abandoned homes. For hundreds of years zombies will be up here roaming the crumbling streets searching for rats and cockroaches. Humans that're still around will be living among decayed remains and small in numbers, forced into servitude and plagued with zombie disease. So anyway it'll be a tough life and most who survive will wish they had died.

Tiggles
08-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Release Luclin

nilbog
08-16-2011, 04:22 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/xnydrb.jpg

Doors
08-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Just whatever you do please no custom content.

superapan
08-16-2011, 04:26 PM
I think a lot of people are mixing up the Nexus with PoK. The Nexus travel are to group-gates basically what boats already are...a cheap and slow way of travel.

What makes Luclin good:

AAs.
Lots of new raid contents.
No increase of level cap make previous expansions valid.
The (old) bazaar is far better than the stupid EC tunnels.
Again: Nexus is not PoK. There's only one on each continent, and the Antonica one is in f-ing Karanas. Boats are a valid comparison.
Cats on the moon!
On the above, who gives a rats ass? The RP-theme-mafia suddenly grew exponentially?

The bad:

Camping the VT key. And VT itself. But this will rid the realms of the uberguilds poopsocking Trakanon at least =P.

Kruel
08-16-2011, 04:27 PM
I would like to see some custom content come into play dungeon by dungeon. Maybe make a new server going back to just classic when the custom stuff is released. Even giving people the options of having there same names on this new vanilla server. That way people can play on P99 with custom content, while leveling up on the vanilla server!

superapan
08-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Just whatever you do please no custom content.
Amen to that.

Nytewind TP
There is no post-velious because the world ends in 2012.

For hundreds of years zombies will be up here roaming the crumbling streets searching for rats and cockroaches. Humans that're still around will be living among decayed remains and small in numbers, forced into servitude and plagued with zombie disease. So anyway it'll be a tough life and most who survive will wish they had died.

I'm rolling a Cleric ;)

Silentone
I think one way of making the game progressive with custom content but not dealing with hp/mp is buying using resists more. There is a lot you can do with resists, spread some random gear around with high end resists on particular types of resists. Then implement random dragons that are almost impossible w/o the proper resists. For example the Kael could be where you farm Cold Resist, Tov would be where you could get Fire and such...anyways I played classic and quit at POP mainly because I got sick of keying people again..and again..... so if we can figure out a way to prevent that I really dont care where we go ...i love the server and will keep playing.. =)

Rainflush
08-16-2011, 04:33 PM

There you have it guys, but don't worry, there's plenty of lunar adventure and tacky rigid graphics awaiting you on every other EQ server.

stormlord
08-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Booby. I bet the other one is uncovered.

abedog
08-16-2011, 04:57 PM
the entire server is custom, man some of you guys are thick. Ya who would want to play awesome stepping stone lore from where velious left off that doesn't sound fun at all.

O WAIT IT SOUNDS AWESOME

GG.

deakolt
08-16-2011, 05:52 PM
the entire server is custom, man some of you guys are thick. Ya who would want to play awesome stepping stone lore from where velious left off that doesn't sound fun at all.

O WAIT IT SOUNDS AWESOME

GG.

explain, i have thickness it's true. length also