PDA

View Full Version : GLOBAL ooc/auction. Poll time.

Pages : [1] 2 3

nilbog
05-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Do YOU think global ooc/auction should stay? Or should they return to per zone ooc/auction?

Last night we had 716 people online.. on a Monday. This is a new record-high for the server and a large enough playerbase to question keeping the ooc/auction spam machine.

Let's see those opinions in the form of votes.

Otto
05-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Voted yes, its time. People have gotten too comfortable with it being world-wide.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I voted yes because its classic everquest :P

Zordana
even tho i have OOC disabled, i think it should stay global...
we need at last one global channel imo.. well.. not need but... it helps alot, especially new players.. and making only auction serverwide will just move all the crap from /ooc to /auction :)

Bruman
Can we have a split? I'd like auction to remain server wide, ooc to be zone.

Bruman
05-18-2010, 01:14 PM
and making only auction serverwide will just move all the crap from /ooc to /auction :)

I'd hope we have enough GMs online at most times to police auction chat if needed. I don't think any of use want a version of WoW's trade chat.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Can we have a split? I'd like auction to remain server wide, ooc to be zone.

They are the same thing. People have no problems posting auction in ooc, and it will be the same thing, trust me there.

Daliant17447
05-18-2010, 01:16 PM
both to zone only like it was in classic

Locowind
05-18-2010, 01:20 PM
If you dont do it classic on this then you can change stuff from classic on anything. So its not classic its whatever you like then.

Tseng
05-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Besides auctioning, I think global wide ooc makes finding groups so much easier. Instead of having to sit in a zone and spam that your LFG there you can be soloing somewhere else and still advertise for a group/see others advertise that they're LFM. Therefore I voted to keep it.

ziahh
05-18-2010, 01:23 PM
i voted no not because i think it is better but with the current population i think that it would not be benificial at this time. later when we reach a more healty population i would vote yes right away

soup
I think it's too early still... the server population is still growing and the global OOC helps a LOT with new players. I also think some people voting "turn it off" might be underestimating how much of a hassle it would be since we are still quite a ways off from the populations back in classic.

Porcinet
I think that auction should remain server wide to make selling items more effective.
As for /ooc, it can be turned back to zone only.

For those who say that /ooc is good to get groups, people who are ina group can also do /who all LFG and see who is available. No need of /ooc for that.

Deeps
This will in effect bring back EC Tunnels

Estharik
05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I have to agree with the LFG thing. Having a global channel is really something that we need, even if it brings in some spammers now and then. If the chat server functioned I would say get rid of global ooc/auction, but I say stick with them global for now.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 01:25 PM
./ all LFG.

I don't think "out of character" should be something you're using to find a group, in character.

Shannacore
05-18-2010, 01:25 PM
./ all LFG.

I don't think "out of character" should be something you're using to find a group, in character.

but it works soooo wellllll

samanusuke
05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
I voted for per zone only.

I understand the argument that some players (a low percentage) actually have valid questions in ooc, but most of the low level players on a server like this have just as much EQ knowledge as the higher players (and are probably more apt to answer without being a jackass about it). Generally speaking, I don't think it will hurt the new players much to use shout.

People will have to start using the LFG tool more religiously versus shouting in the global channels, but personally I want to see the EC Tunnel make a comeback :)

sidi
05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
My problem is that the level distribution is much less even than it was in classic. Tons more players towards level 50, when in classic there was a healthy dose of players all level ranges. OOC for finding groups helps alleviate this problem didn't traditionally exist.

danks
05-18-2010, 01:31 PM
willing to bet that those who want it to be zone only are in guilds..

bionicbadger
05-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Do YOU think global ooc/auction should stay?

Let's see those opinions in the form of votes.

Who cares what people think? Its your project. Make a decision and go with it. If you think its time, then do it. You're going to have people bitching either way.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Who cares what people think? Its your project. Make a decision and go with it. If you think its time, then do it. You're going to have people bitching either way.

You are correct in that I can do whatever I want. I still do care what people think though!

Elendae
05-18-2010, 01:36 PM
If it fits with the vision, remove it.

Tseng
05-18-2010, 01:36 PM
./ all LFG.

This is true, but I think the more ways to find a group the better. Getting groups in this game is key to make it enjoyable. And when you're not in a guild or don't know anyone else on the server personally, global OOC is just another way to interact.

Jakaris
05-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Global OOC ruins the whole point. Everquest is supposed to be a true sandbox world. Global OOC makes it possible to talk to people on another continent. Could you do this with tells? Easily. Did you have to know that person? Of course. EQ isn't about always being able to find a group no matter where you are, its about making the connections to be ABLE to find a group later on.

Yohindo
05-18-2010, 01:46 PM
After reading the arguments i wish i could change my vote. From No to Yes

Bones
05-18-2010, 01:49 PM
The only problem I have with global chat is that it turns into cesspool of a /b/ chat room and/or debate forum between bored lonely men arguing about stupid shit.

Other than that, I don't mind it.

Tenurn
05-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Voted for Yes. The spam is getting crazy.

Uaellaen
05-18-2010, 01:53 PM
voted yes, CLASSIC AHOI!

soup
05-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Don't forget that the server only has about 300 people on during the off hours.

Ihealyou
05-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I used to like global ooc, but unless 90% of the people who talk in it stfu, I'd rather have it removed.

astarothel
05-18-2010, 01:56 PM
OOC yes, Auction no.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 01:58 PM
OOC yes, Auction no.

If taken to zone-only, it would be both of them. I will spare myself the hope that people knew the difference between them. :D

soup
05-18-2010, 01:59 PM
I have a feeling it's going to get turned off and all it's going to do is make things more tedious for everyone not in a guild =\

Adramelk
05-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Keep it, but limit *everyone* to 1 message per minute or thereabouts so it cannot be used for conversation.

This allows global LFG usage (and admittedly still auction) but cuts down on spam.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Keep it, but limit *everyone* to 1 message per minute or thereabouts so it cannot be used for conversation.

This allows global LFG usage (and admittedly still auction) but cuts down on spam.

If you have 700 people online, that would be possibly 1400 lines of global chat a minute. In the worst case scenario, even nerfed to 1 message a minute, that's a lot of spam brother.

soup
05-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Could something be done where it turns on or off depending on how many people are on? Like 500 or more global is off, and 499 or less it's on (or whatever numbers seem appropriate)?

Ihealyou
05-18-2010, 02:04 PM
I have a feeling it's going to get turned off and all it's going to do is make things more tedious for everyone not in a guild =\

Flaming Gaze is recruiting!

khanable
05-18-2010, 02:07 PM
I voted YES

I want classic EQ!

Adramelk
05-18-2010, 02:09 PM
If you have 700 people online, that would be possibly 1400 lines of global chat a minute. In the worst case scenario, even nerfed to 1 message a minute, that's a lot of spam brother.

Agree completely -- but isn't that still a far cry from how it is now? People talk in it (they won't), and people spam auctions every time it leaves their chat pane (they won't be able to).

If the numbers don't sound right, try one message every 5 minutes. Sure, it's a lot of *potential* spam, but in reality it won't be anywhere near that much even at 1 message/minute.

(I'd suggest turning off one channel as well, but you already said you prefer both or none)

nilbog
05-18-2010, 02:10 PM
I'd say if given the option, we should opt for a classic solution.

There are plenty of other threads about brainstorming other ideas. They didn't turn out well.

feanan
05-18-2010, 02:13 PM
yes, i also agree with a previous poster, i bet the majority of those that want it off are in guilds, or have been on the server awhile.

i don't see what the issue is. if you don't like the spam, turn it off. seems pretty simple. there is a filter for it for a reason.

so, yeah, it'll be a lot of fun when a newbie starts in qeynos, he'll really feel like part of a community talking to the one other person in zone. if that.

makes me think a lot of people don't realize how empty a lot of zones are. if you aren't doing the oasis/unrest/whatever route, you're lucky to see a handful of people in any zone.

i started in qeynos a few weeks ago. i think i've seen 10 people in that time. finally had to beg a ride to freeport today.

Adramelk
05-18-2010, 02:17 PM
In my opinion, some of the horrors of classic that weren't directly related to *intentional* game mechanics (i.e. the difficulty of finding a group -- hideous server instability post-patch -- the myriad glitches and bugs folks exploited) are not necessary to replicate.

I think the only thing to fear losing by disabling global chat is the global LFG and LFMing that really makes it easier to get into groups, even if it wasn't classic.

However, afaik the LFG tool does work - I haven't tried the tool that lets you find groups who are LFM or anything, but if that works too, perhaps the channels are totally unnecessary.

Double however, though, the LFG tool wasn't a classic option, either. I wouldn't want to see both global ooc (even if limited) and the LFG tool removed, but going for classic purism would call for it.

jballe3
05-18-2010, 02:17 PM
i believe that if there is still a global OOC channel and global auction channel after this, that they should have rules on what is said in the channels. there should be another channel for folks who want to have rediculous discussions pertaining to absolutely nothing in the game for those folks who wish to have those convo's. the population still isn't quite large enough to have zone only ooc and auction... tho the movement to the EC tunnel for auction is intriguing, and only brings it closer to being classic EQ :)

nilbog
05-18-2010, 02:19 PM
. / all lfg

It's not all up in your face like global spamming.

Like I said, our population got up to 715 last night. I don't know how many of you actually played PREKUNARK EQ, but the population is almost there guys. We aren't talking like 3000-4000 online numbers.

Adramelk
05-18-2010, 02:22 PM
I suppose I'm arguing for it as a legitimate enhancement, Nil.

That said, if you are willing to leave the LFG tool in the game, I think that's a nice compromise and would concede global chat.

Tseng
05-18-2010, 02:22 PM
What about when only 300 people are on?

soup
05-18-2010, 02:23 PM
. / all lfg

It's not all up in your face like global spamming.

Like I said, our population got up to 715 last night. I don't know how many of you actually played PREKUNARK EQ, but the population is almost there guys. We aren't talking like 3000-4000 online numbers.

Almost there if you compare our peak hours to classics off hours :(

Bossco
05-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Take it out! Take it out! I'm tired of /shout being used as the zone wide /ooc

nilbog
05-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Almost there if you compare our peak hours to classics off hours :(

If I can say that, I'd say I'm fairly proud. Made a classic server with almost the same population, even off hours.

soup
05-18-2010, 02:26 PM
If I can say that, I'd say I'm fairly proud. Made a classic server with almost the same population, even off hours.

Oh, don't take it the wrong way, not trying to take anything away from you, it's quite glorious indeed. I was just trying to point out that arguments like "Well it wasn't needed in classic, and our numbers are almost there." aren't very sound since your comparing a high end number to a low end number.

Landis
05-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Take it out! Take it out! I'm tired of /shout being used as the zone wide /ooc

i don't remember shout or ooc being used correctly in live :)

Doomapple
05-18-2010, 02:28 PM
As far as I'm concerned, spam has very little to do with my desire for the removal of global channels. Global channels shrinks the world and makes it altogether less interesting to run into other people while you are out and about. New players you meet become more interesting when they aren't just some voice you can hear whenever. Being in less traveled zones becomes more exciting when you are on your own without a crowd of people talking at you. Going to a big city has a more unique feel when it is a rare occasion to interact with many people. I dunno...global chat just makes eq less of the game I am so excited to be playing again.

As for people's concerns about new players, there are still people around and I actually think someone is more likely to help a newbie out if there aren't 500 people right there that you can pass the job onto. Directing players to the forums is also always an option.

As for the low server population, I only see this as making it all the more interesting when you DO run into people because it is just not that common.

Perhaps I'm a little overzealous about this, but seeing global chat go away is a very exciting prospect for me.

President
05-18-2010, 02:29 PM
I'll restate what I did the other day in another thread. Sunday night around 11/12 MST (really, not that late) I ran from High Pass to Toxx forest getting songs for my bard in all the cities on the way.

EK/NK/WK I was the only person in the zone. I didn't check Qeynos hills, but I doubt more than 1-2 people would have been there. Both Qeynos zones were completely empty as well, along with Erud's crossing, all of Erudin, and Toxx.

Not very classic if you ask me.. and a new playing would find the world quite empty if they start on that end and have no global channels.

tal597
05-18-2010, 02:29 PM
I think you have to make a choice. Is this going to be classic or not? If the answer is "classic", then make the channels zone only. If the answer "close to classic, but with the pain in the butt stuff fixed", then leave the channels world wide, and put back in the trade recipes so trade skills aren't a stupid click fest, and put back in the dot/buff/debuff messages so we don't sit around with with egg timers, etc. etc.

I'd like to see the "classic, with the pain on the butt stuff fixed" path be taken. While I enjoy playing classic EQ, I don't care to relive all the stupid mistakes that were made in the beginning.

Right now we have this odd mix of some pain items removed, some put back in, and some brand new things never seen before... all in the name of "classic".

Make it "classic", but keep it fun.

Talgurin
05-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Here are my solutions:

Global chat might be needed because we still only have, as another poster pointed out, 350ish or less around during off hours.

If Kunark comes out, and it's up to say 400ish during off hours, that's still a lot of players spread over too many zones, and a lot more empty / dead places than live had with 2,000+ players during prime and at least 1000ish during off hours. So EQ could stlil feel like a ghost-town.

Solution is limit auction and OOC to once per 3-4 mins, or once per 5 mins. This way a newbie can ask a question and get help in tells. Or you can still auction something for sale without hiking across the world to sell it in a zone with players.

Solution 2 is put all new players in a "newbie guild" that you automatically join at char creation. Might be hard to script, but it would solve the problem.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Make it "classic", but keep it fun.
global ooc and auction are not fun for gms or developers. apparently, they aren't fun for the majority of the server.

soup
05-18-2010, 02:33 PM
I'd imagine the global chat helps lure people in when they first join the server. Instead of popping up in a noob zone, alone, and killing low level critters for a couple hours without hearing or seeing another soul, they are greeted by familiar and entiving /auc spam and LFG calls.

I know that when I was level 3 in the noob zone I was so eager to hoard everything and level furiously because I see the "WTS FBSS 12k" and "LFM LGuk 33+!" and it's something that sucked me in.

Glitch
05-18-2010, 02:34 PM
There's a bias here, because there is a majority of basement-dwelling, antisocial kids who don't care about gloabal chat!

If global ooc is going to be removed purely for sticking with a classic mentality, then item links have to go too. They ruin my immersion as much as reading something from a guy two zones away.
If you disagree, you're a hypocriteeeeeeee

nilbog
05-18-2010, 02:35 PM
I'd imagine the global chat helps lure people in when they first join the server.

Depends on what* you're luring in. There is another side to this story. The people that do not play because there is ooc chat they don't want their kids to see. There are just as many people that do NOT want to see global ooc, as there are the people that are entertained by it.

mixxit
05-18-2010, 02:35 PM
71/40

President
05-18-2010, 02:36 PM
71/49

Fixd

Akame
I voted yes, the less stoners talking crap that I have to listen to the better.

L2Phantom
global ooc and auction are not fun for gms or developers. apparently, they aren't fun for the majority of the server.

QFT, QFT, QFT! x10,000

L2Phantom
05-18-2010, 02:37 PM
I voted yes, the less stoners talking crap that I have to listen to the better.

This too. So much useless spam.

President
05-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Depends on what* you're luring in. There is another side to this story. The people that do not play because there is ooc chat they don't want their kids to see. There are just as many people that do NOT want to see global ooc, as there are the people that are entertained by it.

And those people have the option to turn it off.. Quite simple...

I see no one has addressed my previous post just like in the last thread.

Uaellaen
05-18-2010, 02:38 PM
2 raids in the same zone .. one can use shout, the other can use OOC ... no need to use guildchat for raid commands etc. can direct chatter to /gu as usual ... im happy with per zone .. finaly we get more then 1 channel to use

nilbog
05-18-2010, 02:38 PM
And those people have the option to turn it off..

I'm not telling classic eq players to turn off their ooc. Are you?

Aprio
05-18-2010, 02:40 PM
There's a bias here, because there is a majority of basement-dwelling, antisocial kids who don't care about gloabal chat!

Yes, that must be it. Idiot.

JaVeDK
05-18-2010, 02:42 PM
I can see both sides of this argument. The popular opinion the past few months were, as I saw it, that everyone was under the impression that we were facing a large influx of players to the server. That has yet to happen - or almost as many old players quit. The consensus seemed to be that once we reached around 1k (+/- 100ish) it would be time to remove the global channels. I personally feel, that we are still too few to do without them, so I voted for them to stay (for the moment). However I guess we wont know for sure if it can work with the current population, so giving it a try does little harm IMO.

Otto
05-18-2010, 02:43 PM
As far as I'm concerned, spam has very little to do with my desire for the removal of global channels. Global channels shrinks the world and makes it altogether less interesting to run into other people while you are out and about. New players you meet become more interesting when they aren't just some voice you can hear whenever. Being in less traveled zones becomes more exciting when you are on your own without a crowd of people talking at you. Going to a big city has a more unique feel when it is a rare occasion to interact with many people. I dunno...global chat just makes eq less of the game I am so excited to be playing again.

As for people's concerns about new players, there are still people around and I actually think someone is more likely to help a newbie out if there aren't 500 people right there that you can pass the job onto. Directing players to the forums is also always an option.

As for the low server population, I only see this as making it all the more interesting when you DO run into people because it is just not that common.

Perhaps I'm a little overzealous about this, but seeing global chat go away is a very exciting prospect for me.

THIS THIS THIS

President
05-18-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm not telling classic eq players to turn off their ooc. Are you?

There is still zone wide /shout. Again, would you like to respond to my previous post or cherry pick the ones you can respond to easily?

SchadenFreude
05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
There is so much spam in OOC / Auction, even in the off hours, that I completely ignore it. If it was restricted to just the current zone I would have time to read it, sometimes use it, but I would not be regarding it as "information overload".

There are other chat options available on Live to fill the serverwide communication void: Channels. I always opted out of these for the same reasons I now ignore OOC / Auction. When I did want to participate in a serverwide auction I would join the appropriate channel. Most times, my channel list was very limited.

This is not a pure "Classic" experience in the sense that every mistake or hardship is repeated. Remember having to actually look at a spell book until level 35? The book did not enhance gameplay. It just made it easy for a puma to sneak up on a wizard 59 minutes out of any given hour. For this reason, I beg you, please put the tradeskill recipes back. Make us learn them before the can be used, but don't make it an insane clickfest. My fingers hurt.

Aw crap. Now my back is going to hurt because I just pulled landscaping duty.

L2Phantom
With global OOC gone, the LFG tool will be more commonly used. I'm all for that.

Thrymm
Voted zone only, but it's not something that's important to me as it is.

L2Phantom
05-18-2010, 02:45 PM
There is still zone wide /shout. Again, would you like to respond to my previous post or cherry pick the ones you can respond to easily?

Except for the fact that many players from live completely ignored shout because it was a flaming red, obnoxious color.

soup
05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Don't forget that turning off global channels WILL result in the server population congregating around the same few zones even more than people already.

There's already way too many zones that get almost no usage at all, and doing this will make it worse.

Co114p53
05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Global OOC has too much spam. EC Tunnel Trading FTW

Voted Yes.

Akame
05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I'd like to vote for yes again also so ooc can be used as a functional channel during raids like it used to be.

Malrubius
05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Voted Yes. Its a classic server.

/OOC is useless as it is currently implemented.

/AUCTION would be far more useful per-zone. Right now -> "Oooh, that's a good deal. You're where??? nm."

President
05-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Except for the fact that many players from live completely ignored shout because it was a flaming red, obnoxious color.

Your opinion, far from fact.

Shannacore
05-18-2010, 02:50 PM

/AUCTION would be far more useful per-zone. Right now -> "Oooh, that's a good deal. You're where??? nm."

Yoooou are going to put a halt to my porting business

ukaking
05-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Im new, lvl 15, not in a guild and havent made any real contacts here. I leveled in Blackburrow where we regularly had people to group with. I uprooted and ventured to Freeport because it was the trading hub of Norrath. I hunt in Oasis like everyone else in the area and I have done just fine not using the world ooc or auc. I may be a newbie to P99, but I voted "yes" because I also tire of having to read through the lines of garbage to see someone say something meaningful. Pull the trigger, Nilbog. Its time.

soup
05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
I've made quite a few posts opposing turning off global channels, but I want to clarify my stance.

I would absolutely LOVE to see the server have enough people for global channels to be turned off, I would LOVE to see EC tunnel return, I would love to have the feeling of isolation vs. social immersion that comes with going from secluded areas to bustling cities, but I do not believe the population is at that point yet. During peak hours it's probably close, but peak hours only make up a small part of the day. I don't see how anything could happen other than people congregating around small handfuls of zones even worse than it happens now.

So, as it is now, I firmly oppose turning the channels off, BUT I would 100% LOVE to see the population get a bit higher to where turning them off would be more viable.

Tseng
05-18-2010, 03:04 PM
I'd say this is all but a done deal at this point.

R.I.P. Global chat :(

Elendae
I already posted but was reading the /ooc firestorm over all this. Only one point really seems valid and its the same one President brought up earlier. I just wonder what a lack of global /ooc will do to already uninhabited zones. It's not something I have seen addressed up to this point.

nilbog
Probably make them like classic. Feel out in the wilderness? Working as intended.

Tseng
05-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Can there be some sort of compromise? Like a joinable global channel?

President
05-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Probably make them like classic. Feel out in the wilderness? Working as intended.

At no time in classic were NK/EK/WK, all of Qeynos, Erudion and Toxx COMPLETELY EMPTY like they were for me Sunday night when I ran through them.

soup
05-18-2010, 03:13 PM
At no time in classic were NK/EK/WK, all of Qeynos, Erudion and Toxx COMPLETELY EMPTY like they were for me Sunday night when I ran through them.

People are intoxicated by the thought of classic, but they keep forgetting how much of a population difference there is.

Adramelk
05-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Poop, is a debate raging online right now as well? Dang work.

feanan
05-18-2010, 03:15 PM
good luck finding a rez or port as well. every druid and cleric will be /role or /anon.

i really wish people would stop using "its classic" as their reason for wanting it off. i think we can agree that there are enough things on this server that aren't classic that this shouldn't be a battle cry

but, yeah, this all ready sounds like a done deal, so just do it all ready

MogManX44
yeah, people wont shut up about it

Otto

your server must of been hugely overpopulated

That, or mine wasn't normal in number of players and was in fact rather low.

EK, WK, Qeynos area were never really that populated on my server.

And everything on Odus was a wasteland. until the hole came out.

Edit: I specifically remember starting a human and choosing freeport because qeynos was barren on my server

utenan
05-18-2010, 03:16 PM

I'll take your word for it, but I have yet to see this. always a handfull of noobs in qeynos/ qeynos hills, (I run through quite often and sow people), because of bb's popularity. SK is always full, ther surrounding karanas have a few lvlers sometimes, but mostly port traffic and foot traffic from NK - SK. The karanas always did feel isolated in classic eq though, people primarily ran through them, didnt stick around long.

Tallenn
05-18-2010, 03:16 PM
I use global auction all the time- not to sell, but to keep an eye out for things I want to buy. Global allows me to do this while soloing. I use global ooc all the time to amuse myself reading the funny and sometimes asinine things people say, and sometimes even getting into the conversation myself.

Limiting these to zone wide channels will definitely be an inconvenience to me. However, I voted: yes, limit them. It's part of the classic experience. It's not convenient, but there are a lot of things about classic EQ that aren't convenient.

pickled_heretic
05-18-2010, 03:17 PM

Pretty much. This server spikes to 700 max with an average of 500 people and a low of 200 or less. This is less than a third of the average of classic EQ servers. Like president said, qeynos is hardly a "wilderness" zone; it was cool feeling like you're in the wilderness when you're deep in the karanas killing aviaks but it's not classic to be the only person in Qeynos or anywhere on the entire continent of Odus. we should be ready to pull the trigger on this if we get up to about double what we have now, but for now it's fine the way it is.

Adramelk
05-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Also worth noting: I think everyone here knows that the moment we no longer have global ooc, we're going to have an irc channel that everyone and their mother who currently talks in ooc joins.

mixxit
05-18-2010, 03:19 PM
good luck finding a rez or port as well. every druid and cleric will be /role or /anon.

because they dont want to rez or port? :P

utenan
05-18-2010, 03:20 PM

i really wish people would stop using "its classic" as their reason for wanting it off. i think we can agree that there are enough things on this server that aren't classic that this shouldn't be a battle cry

but, yeah, this all ready sounds like a done deal, so just do it all ready

finding a rez or port in classic was tough, just like traveling, leveling. ect. ect. why should this aspect be changed for conveniance?

Elendae
05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
I imagine there are, but how many people would still be against this if we had double the population? I really do see removing global chat as an inevitability. I don't think we need to set some arbitrary population for it, though.

Phallax
05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
I voted no, but im really agnostic on the poll.

If it werent for me talking in OOC and /auc'ing somthing I wouldnt have had the 10 or so people I knew from live reconize my name and send me a tell thus Id probably never know my old guildies / friends from my live server played here.

Stepy
05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
I voted YES because i didn't read it, change my vote to NO!

President
05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
I'll take your word for it, but I have yet to see this. always a handfull of noobs in qeynos/ qeynos hills, (I run through quite often and sow people), because of bb's popularity. SK is always full, ther surrounding karanas have a few lvlers sometimes, but mostly port traffic and foot traffic from NK - SK. The karanas always did feel isolated in classic eq though, people primarily ran through them, didnt stick around long.

Qeynos hills was one of the zones I forgot to /who as I did my run, but the times I have run to Halas, I have seen a handful between there and BB. I did a /who in EK/NK/WK and saw zero people on my run. Yes, NK will have people, mostly due to ports, and SK has more enticing drops/quests/camps/dungeons so some people will be there. Both Qeynos zones were empty, which was really surprising as I expected to find at least 1 noob leveling up there.

In response to Otto - Odus was somewhat of a ghost town on my server (Povar) compared to other areas, but there was still fighting that took place there. I went exploring the other night waiting for a port in Toxx and had nostalgia moments of actually grouping there and checking out Kerra Ridge. Also remember ~5-10 people at any time trying to kill wisps in Erud's Crossing.

Again this was between about 11-12 midnight mountain time.

astarothel
05-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Also worth noting: I think everyone here knows that the moment we no longer have global ooc, we're going to have an irc channel that everyone and their mother who currently talks in ooc joins.

There already is an IRC channel. When this goes through (which looks inevitable at this point) expect an #auction channel to be set up as well.

irc.eqemulator.net port:6667 #project1999

Bones
05-18-2010, 03:26 PM
And those people have the option to turn it off.. Quite simple...

I see no one has addressed my previous post just like in the last thread.
I like having the convenience of global chat, but we shouldn't have to forfeit our right to the global channels because a bunch of clowns want to hijack it for some stupid political/drug/other debate every single day, having to sit there and pile onto my /ignore list.

Seems to me that some sort of limit on messages per minute would help alleviate the spam from these stupid arguments, if it is possible.
I think people wouldn't mind the global channels so much if something like this could be implemented. It certainly would make the GM's job easier dealing with the ridiculous shit that gets spewed into /ooc every day.

Xantarr
05-18-2010, 03:26 PM

Admittedly, many of the arguments to remove global OOC have swayed me at least a little bit away from my original stance of no way.

But firstly, addressing this argument, if everyone were sending 1 message a minute, then wouldn't everyone be benefiting from global ooc in that case (since everyone would be using it), kind of making the point of wanting to limit it further sort of moot?

Secondly, I'm sure you can't be arguing that there would not be a significant difference in spam if this was done. Right?

nilbog
05-18-2010, 03:28 PM
expect an #auction channel to be set up as well.

Yep. Pretty much. The 15(?)% of the population that uses the forums and the 1% that uses IRC will use it for auction. Everyone else will most likely use a trading area in game.

Oh no the horror :P

Adramelk
05-18-2010, 03:29 PM
There already is an IRC channel. When this goes through (which looks inevitable at this point) expect an #auction channel to be set up as well.

irc.eqemulator.net port:6667 #project1999

Got it. Thanks.

Rogean
05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Moved to the CORRECT forum >_>

L2Phantom
05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Everyone else will most likely use a trading area in game.

Hey, what do you know. Classic EverQuest.

President
05-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Yep. Pretty much. The 15(?)% of the population that uses the forums and the 1% that uses IRC will use it for auction. Everyone else will most likely use a trading area in game.

Oh no the horror :P

Assumption.

nilbog
Yep. I strive to put right.. what once went wrong :P Where are my living shields?

eqdruid76
I really don't care how helpful global chat is to new players, or to anyone else.

This is a supposed to be a classic server. This is supposed to be THE classic server. Global chat is not supposed to exist in classic. There is not supposed to be anything easy or convenient about classic. We're supposed to travel from zone to zone to find a group. We're supposed to congregate in a common zone for trading purposes. We're SUPPOSED to waste the trip to LGuk to find all the camps are taken.

If it's an easy or convenient experience you're looking for, get off P99, go play on someone's bugged non-legit server, or better yet, go play live.

And wow, that came off FAR more dickish than I meant for it to, but by God I stand by it. It's the principle of the thing, to me. The people who are championing serverwide chat are the same ones that habitually play video games with cheat codes, that's all I'm saying :P

L2Phantom
05-18-2010, 03:34 PM
^That is also true.

Xantarr
05-18-2010, 03:34 PM
The people who are championing serverwide chat are the same ones that habitually play video games with cheat codes, that's all I'm saying

Ad hominem is logical, right?

Zordana
05-18-2010, 03:35 PM
i request to remove my NO vote!
i watched some old EQ movies and remembered how fun EC used to be.. i want it back!!!

utenan
05-18-2010, 03:35 PM
People would have to meet somewhere to from groups, trade, socialize, they sure as hell can't do it in a non existant world channel, it will have to happen somewhere

youthzero
05-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Well, if you removed it then it will force people to hang out in EC or freeport. that would add some classic element.

Myrkskog
05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Get rid of it. We've all been suckling the global channel teat long enough, the milks gone bad.

I am willing to bet upwards of 99% of the people who play on this server have played Everquest before. Those who haven't were likely brought onto the server by friends who can help them get started up. I am sick of hearing the argument that there are all these sad helpless nooblets who will lose their corpses to firebeetles and never come back again because they can't tell every single person on the server about it. We all started fresh at some point and we made it. It's not a complicated game, especially at level 1. We boast about how strong and helpful our server community is, but the minute someone mentions global OOC being removed a big argument ensues about how disastrously difficult starting a new character will be. Trust me, I've played with enough shitty 40+ people to tell you that these morons who apparently can't be counted on to find their level 1 spells are in fact leveling.

I played a lot of EQ and I still have tons of questions about new classes and places I'm trying out. If I am a necromancer and I can't find my level 20 pet, I /tell a necromancer and they promptly inform me it's in Grobb. There is a lot of help if you actually talk to people rather than tossing a question into a channel where you don't even look at names anymore.

Global OOC was intended to foster the sense of community on a server which was expected to have maybe 150 people on it at peak time. It has since turned into an overcrowded barrens chat with the occasional message of unkempt Mexican testicles being shoved in your mouth with 20 people shouting "And I love it!" after. It's starting to make Flaming Gaze guild chat look like a republican convention.

For those who say turn off global channels if we don't like it, it doesn't work. If these were chat channels like Level 1-20, Druid, or whatever else they have now it wouldn't be a problem. But you can't have an integral part of the game included in the shit-fest that is global channels and then tell people to turn it off if they don't like it. It's like implementing PoK and telling people if they don't like it they can still use the boat. I also am astounded that people are actually whining that they would have to run to Neriak or NFP from EC to go to the bank, holy shit...

Seriously, when these lame global channels are finally removed and everyone is done foaming at the mouth like crack addicts cut off from their junk, we'll all gather in the EC tunnel and laugh,talk, trade and train Sargeant Slate all the while wondering why we hung onto those stupid channels for so long.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Well, if you removed it then it will force people to hang out in EC or freeport. that would add some classic element.

It will force *something* classic. That's worth experimenting with.

Xantarr
05-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Myrkskog, even though I voted no, you're kind of my hero right now. I LoL'd - well-said.

nalkin
05-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Down with global ooc. I say gut her out from the inside like a fish. Put the knife up her anus and slice her down the stomach (not to far because you don't wanna puncture any organs and have it bleed all over) and then make a cut behind her gills, pull her skull back and rip out global ooc. Thats in my humble opinion though.

Marmo
05-18-2010, 03:46 PM
I voted to keep Global Out of Character. I understand the appeal to classic, we all love classic EQ. I mean we play on this server for its sake, but classic does not mean better in all cases; Some improvements to the classic EQ are worth keeping/considering.

The current UI is not classic, but better; The classic UI would be awful.
Item linking is also not classic, but so very necessary for trade.
Meditating without spellbook is definately not classic, but one of the games biggest improvements IMO.

Global Out of Character is so very useful:

For LFG, so few people use the flag when looking for group.
For finding a teleport or specific bluff (Clarity/SoW.) So many capable of them go anonymous.
For new players to get help and ask questions.
Spirited debates, especially regarding Server changes.

Then there are the social aspects. I switched to this server from the VZ/TZ PVP server not only because of the population, but because of how active and friendly /ooc was in comparison. I could ask questions without fear of a smart-ass response as per usual on VZ/TZ.

I also understand the appeal of bringing back the old EC tunnel for trading, however I still feel this move is premature. We still lack the population for zone shouts/ooc to be enough to maintain most hot zone camps, let alone a conversation. The amount of traffic on /ooc makes one feel much less isolated.

In conclusion, should we move to rid global out of character for the sake of some "Classic Vision", it'll negatively impact groups, trade, travel, communication, and quite possibly population.

To those who dislike the "spam" of it, we here in America learned long ago that having the choice to change or turn something off makes for a much richer variety and culture than censorship. Just turn it off if you don't like it, and for those who feel that such a suggestion is selfish I ask you this: Is the suggestion more selfish than silencing everyone else for the sake of your preference?

I mean do you guys honestly intend to remove item linking, force spell-book meditation and return us to this if you could?:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/image/view/65353/preview

EDIT: If you do go through with this, as the vote appears to be leaning, Can we at least get custom channels?

Brut
05-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes, yes!
Gonna be cool to see how often EC crashes due to mass population!

Ceridain
05-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Can there be some sort of compromise? Like a joinable global channel?

I voted YES, but I was also wondering if the chat channels can be used to create a global chat that would be optional to join? I envision this channel being something like a general/help/noobie chat I've seen in some other games.

Obviously this is not a classic solution, but maybe it would be a good compromise...?

Thoughts? And are chat channels intact in Titanium?

nilbog
05-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Thoughts? And are chat channels intact in Titanium?

Source guys can try and get them to work. I do believe they *can* work.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 03:50 PM
I mean do you guys honestly intend to remove item linking, force spell-book meditation and return us to this?:

UHM. Given the option, hell yes.

Phallax
05-18-2010, 03:51 PM
I voted to keep Global Out of Character. I understand the appeal to classic, we all love classic EQ. I mean we play on this server for its sake, but classic does not mean better in all cases; Some improvements to the classic EQ are worth keeping/considering.

The current UI is not classic, but better; The classic UI would be awful.
Item linking is also not classic, but so very necessary for trade.
Meditating without spellbook is definately not classic, but one of the games biggest improvements IMO.

For finding a teleport or specific bluff (Clarity/SoW.) So many capable of them go anonymous.
For new players to get help and ask questions.

Then there are the social aspects. I switched to this server from the VZ/TZ PVP server not only because of the population, but because of how active and friendly /ooc was in comparison. I could ask questions without fear of a smart-ass response as per usual on VZ/TZ.

I also understand the appeal of bringing back the old EC tunnel for trading, however I still feel this move is premature. We still lack the population for zone shouts/ooc to be enough to maintain most hot zone camps, let alone a conversation. The amount of traffic on /ooc makes one feel much less isolated.

In conclusion, should we move to rid global out of character for the sake of some "Classic Vision", it'll negatively impact groups, trade, travel, communication, and quite possibly population.

To those who dislike the "spam" of it, we here in America learned long ago that having the choice to change or turn something off makes for a much richer variety and culture than censorship. Just turn it off if you don't like it, and for those who feel that such a suggestion is selfish I ask you this: Is the suggestion more selfish than silencing everyone else for the sake of your preference?

I mean do you guys honestly intend to remove item linking, force spell-book meditation and return us to this if you could?:

Those names look hella familiar, did you play Tunare? =)

Marmo
05-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Those names look hella familiar, did you play Tunare? =)

It was google's 1st image of the classic UI. Not mine, I played on Fennin Ro.

nalkin
05-18-2010, 03:55 PM

/lfg on and /who all lfg will cover point 1.

Well we could put the POK books in and that would make it easier for ports too right? I mean the point of this game isn't to make things easy.

The fact of the matter is that without Global auc/ooc removed people will be forced to go somewhere to trade. I don't think it will be EC but instead NFP.

Phallax
05-18-2010, 03:56 PM
nilbog youve obviously already got your mind set on what YOU want to happen, just make it happen and stop all the bickering from both sides.

ciggwin
05-18-2010, 03:59 PM
I voted yes because it's hard to keep up with everything... classic was quieter, and I appreciated that. If I want to look in OOC or talk in OOC I shouldn't have to battle 700+ others.

If you want to sell your stuff... go to NFP which seems to be the zone to do this stuff in. Or post here on the boards.

Just like in classic EQ, people will find a big enough zone to use as an auction hall. It used to be EC on a lot of servers.

As for OOC, I'm also tired of seeing so much flaming and plain immaturity. I know it will still exist, but I won't have to see 90% of it. :)

amaterasu
05-18-2010, 04:01 PM
If he had his mind set on what he wants to happen, then why did he make a poll? He's doing this server for us, and the majority want it zone only, its that simple. Don't try to convince people it's otherwise when the stats are clear.

Sckrilla
05-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Voted yes, do the damn thang already.

Zithax
Global chat makes just as much sense as being able to /tell across the world.
Which makes no sense. See my point? It's absolutely VITAL to LFG. I think if ooc was taken away, global chat channels should be implemented. It doesn't hurt the classic experience, only enhances.

If anything, get rid of ooc in favor of global chat channels -- wru /join lfg

Phallax
If he had his mind set on what he wants to happen, then why did he make a poll? He's doing this server for us, and the majority want it zone only, its that simple. Don't try to convince people it's otherwise when the stats are clear.

because hes a meanie and likes to tease us

and that stats arent "clear" when its a 60/40% vote, unless its an unanimous decision, its not "clear"

JaVeDK
05-18-2010, 04:04 PM
With majority of less than 60% I think some sort of compromise should be sought.

Phorest
05-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Great idea to force folks back into EC when it was chain crashing not too long ago.. No idea what that was all about..

As far as "global chatting" goes -
If you are going to take it out, take it out.

I suggested this months ago to deal with the perv spammer.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Global chat makes just as much sense as being able to /tell across the world.
Which makes no sense. See my point? It's absolutely VITAL to LFG. I think if ooc was taken away, global chat channels should be implemented. It doesn't hurt the classic experience, only enhances.

If anything, get rid of ooc in favor of global chat channels -- wru /join lfg

This discussion = global chats, or not

Global chat = not classic.

Tells = classic

Your argument = null

We'll see about chat channels

and how about / all LFG. If its that essential, is that hard to read or something?

Bones
05-18-2010, 04:11 PM

These are just conveniences people can deal without. /LFG on, /anon off.
I started opening night and NOBODY was binding, sowing, casting clarity, or porting. This game is playable without such conveniences.

eqdruid76
05-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Get rid of it. We've all been suckling the global channel teat long enough, the milks gone bad.

I am willing to bet upwards of 99% of the people who play on this server have played Everquest before. Those who haven't were likely brought onto the server by friends who can help them get started up. I am sick of hearing the argument that there are all these sad helpless nooblets who will lose their corpses to firebeetles and never come back again because they can't tell every single person on the server about it. We all started fresh at some point and we made it. It's not a complicated game, especially at level 1. We boast about how strong and helpful our server community is, but the minute someone mentions global OOC being removed a big argument ensues about how disastrously difficult starting a new character will be. Trust me, I've played with enough shitty 40+ people to tell you that these morons who apparently can't be counted on to find their level 1 spells are in fact leveling.

I played a lot of EQ and I still have tons of questions about new classes and places I'm trying out. If I am a necromancer and I can't find my level 20 pet, I /tell a necromancer and they promptly inform me it's in Grobb. There is a lot of help if you actually talk to people rather than tossing a question into a channel where you don't even look at names anymore.

Global OOC was intended to foster the sense of community on a server which was expected to have maybe 150 people on it at peak time. It has since turned into an overcrowded barrens chat with the occasional message of unkempt Mexican testicles being shoved in your mouth with 20 people shouting "And I love it!" after. It's starting to make Flaming Gaze guild chat look like a republican convention.

For those who say turn off global channels if we don't like it, it doesn't work. If these were chat channels like Level 1-20, Druid, or whatever else they have now it wouldn't be a problem. But you can't have an integral part of the game included in the shit-fest that is global channels and then tell people to turn it off if they don't like it. It's like implementing PoK and telling people if they don't like it they can still use the boat. I also am astounded that people are actually whining that they would have to run to Neriak or NFP from EC to go to the bank, holy shit...

Seriously, when these lame global channels are finally removed and everyone is done foaming at the mouth like crack addicts cut off from their junk, we'll all gather in the EC tunnel and laugh,talk, trade and train Sargeant Slate all the while wondering why we hung onto those stupid channels for so long.

IMHO Myrkskog wins The Quote For Truth; Greatest Post Ever Award.

eqdruid76
05-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Ad hominem is logical, right?

Logical or not, it's true, and you know it.

girth
05-18-2010, 04:14 PM
I switched to this server from the VZ/TZ PVP server not only because of the population, but because of how active and friendly /ooc was in comparison. I could ask questions without fear of a smart-ass response as per usual on VZ/TZ.

LOL that's funny...

Nilbog - LFG and trade won't take too big a hit from this, cause there are tools to counter this - /lfg on/off - /who all LFG - /auction - using a main trading hub.

It's porting and brand newbies that will take a hit from this.

Kaluut
05-18-2010, 04:15 PM
YES!

mixxit
05-18-2010, 04:18 PM
It's porting and brand newbies that will take a hit from this.

i think it will be good for the new players seeing EC as it was back in the day

soup
05-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Someone in OOC had a pretty good idea. Why don't we turn global channels off for a few days, then do another poll, and see if everyone feels the same? That way nothing is just hypothesizing and we could see what happens and could decide if it's the prudent choice.

Landis
05-18-2010, 04:19 PM
who are these brand new newbies who have no idea how to play eq? i find it hard to believe many people (or anyone) is playing this that hasn't played eq before. and if they are, then it's because they have a friend or family member who introduced them to it.

Tallenn
05-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Landis makes a good point. How many people out there that have never played EQ are saying, hey, an 11 year old game! Let's try it out!?

soup also has a good idea I think: do it on a trial basis, and see how it works out after a few days, maybe a couple of weeks.

Malavan
05-18-2010, 04:23 PM
is /lfg a classic thing? if we get rid of ooc and auction, why not that too?

Tocs
05-18-2010, 04:24 PM
I think losing globals will hinder the community that have already been used to it thus far. The thing that was so terrible about it was the spammer(s), now that they have been silenced, I see no problems.

As far as it not being classic, thats fine because we dont have the popularity that existed in those days. EC tunnel was great and all, but the thing that made EQ so great was the ability to 2-box and game play that goes along with it. EQ had what WoW lacks, and that's the ability to contribute in a fun way with 2 classes at the same time without becoming a liability to other group members.

I agree with what Phallax said today, if we lose global channels, then we should gain the ability to 2-box. Not being able to play 2 characters at the same time takes away from what I loved about EQ just as globals take away from others' experience of EC tunnel.

soup
05-18-2010, 04:25 PM
who are these brand new newbies who have no idea how to play eq? i find it hard to believe many people (or anyone) is playing this that hasn't played eq before. and if they are, then it's because they have a friend or family member who introduced them to it.

It's not a matter of being brand new and not knowing how to play, it's a matter of lots of details that fade away over the years. Even the best of us have used /ooc to ask something that has been lost through the years.

girth
05-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Pretty sure LFG was classic.

Mixxit - who says EC will be bumping if we cut off global chats? It could be gfay or NFP, just like on live, many places were used depending on your server.

Landis - nobody is new new, but even playing a game you haven't played in 7-8 years or more - starting brand new on here not knowing anybody is still somewhat of a daunting task if you only have 1-3 other people in the newbie areas.

eqdruid76
05-18-2010, 04:31 PM
I think losing globals will hinder the community that have already been used to it thus far. The thing that was so terrible about it was the spammer(s), now that they have been silenced, I see no problems.

As far as it not being classic, thats fine because we dont have the popularity that existed in those days. EC tunnel was great and all, but the thing that made EQ so great was the ability to 2-box and game play that goes along with it. EQ had what WoW lacks, and that's the ability to contribute in a fun way with 2 classes at the same time without becoming a liability to other group members.

I agree with what Phallax said today, if we lose global channels, then we should gain the ability to 2-box. Not being able to play 2 characters at the same time takes away from what I loved about EQ just as globals take away from others' experience of EC tunnel.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, IMO. If you require a safety net to walk across a 5 foot wide bridge, then get off the bridge.

astarothel
05-18-2010, 04:39 PM
i think it will be good for the new players seeing EC as it was back in the day

Unfortunately the noobie that starts paineel won't be able to see it because he won't know to ask a guard for the key to leave.

Graki
05-18-2010, 04:39 PM
I just wanna see sellers at tunnel, so I voted yes.

Jayko
05-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Going to keep this short and not even pretend to have read all 16 pages of prior responses.

I'd prefer to keep the global channels, or at least have them replaced with some sort of regional or lfg based thing. Call me a sissy or whatever derogatory crap you want, but it's nice to be able to look for group in multiple dungeons at once or read auctions while exping instead of devoting time to them. It's convenience, plain and simple.

I don't feel the inconvenience of being limited to in game ooc/auction really changes the gameplay in a significant way and it's the gameplay that makes the game classic in my mind. If OOC (like today during the OOC argument) gets out of control and is simply a burden to police, it needs to die...but given just a clean yes/no on keeping the global ones, I'd like them to stay.

-Jayko

Phallax
05-18-2010, 04:43 PM

Im not exactly saying i want boxing, im just saying I didnt have to get an exemption from verant if I chose to box with multiple machines. Was one of my many "classic card" arguements that everyone thats voting YES seems to be hung up on.

ribaldron
05-18-2010, 04:46 PM
I voted for NO, leave it global.

While I agree that KNOWING the chats are global sort of ruins the "Classic" feeling - the bulk of stuff you actually SEE, however, is definitely classic.

When the server grows in population a bit more, I think it will be time to turn them off. But not yet!

Bones
05-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Im not exactly saying i want boxing, im just saying I didnt have to get an exemption from verant if I chose to box with multiple machines. Was one of my many "classic card" arguements that everyone thats voting YES seems to be hung up on.

Yeah but you also had to pay 2 subscriptions. Rarely anybody boxed in classic, sorry man. If they allow it here EVERYBODY will be doing it.

utenan
05-18-2010, 04:48 PM
is /lfg a classic thing? if we get rid of ooc and auction, why not that too?

I am pretty sure /lfg on/off was classic, could be wrong

Unfortunately the noobie that starts Paineel won't be able to see it because he won't know to ask a guard for the key to leave.

They will figure something out, ask an erudite, use the internet,... don't make an erudite : p

Phallax
05-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah but you also had to pay 2 subscriptions. Rarely anybody boxed in classic, sorry man. If they allow it here EVERYBODY will be doing it.

not necessarily, you can limit account creation to IPs, i usually used friends accounts on live wasnt till later i bought a 2nd one..again it was my "classic card" argument not saying allow it at all

lumin
05-18-2010, 04:52 PM
I really don't understand why having global OOC makes you feel less "lonely" when you're in a zone with nobody else there. Sure you can chat to a bunch of people, but it's not like you're going to get any help if you need a rez or a port, etc.

The problem I have is that people are using Project 1999 as a big chat room. If you want to chat with people, start a P1999 IRC channel. This is a GAME, not a chat room.

AR3151
05-18-2010, 04:58 PM
doesnt bother me having it global, in fact i have gotten groups, items and information faster.

astarothel
05-18-2010, 04:58 PM
start a P1999 IRC channel. This is a GAME, not a chat room.

There already is an IRC channel. OMGZ!

Tocs
05-18-2010, 04:59 PM

I'd pay a small subscription to box.

mixxit
05-18-2010, 05:02 PM
it would kill the game :(

nilbog
05-18-2010, 05:07 PM
90% of the personal thank yous I receive are for NOT allowing boxing. This has nothing to do with this topic.. and I'm very happy not to facilitate robots.

There's many other servers you can do that on.. go box elsewhere.

Zzakk
05-18-2010, 05:07 PM
I understand the whole "Classic" thing...but I really think alot of peeps are gonna regret moving to a single zone auction after having the global ability for 7 months now. Your stuff is not gonna sell as fast being limited to one zone. Yes, ooc is total crap and should be isolated...but auction needs to be global.

lumin
05-18-2010, 05:08 PM
There already is an IRC channel. OMGZ!

Then there you go. If you wanna chat with people, play EQ in windowed mode and open IRC. In other words take your BS and GTFO of the game so the rest of us can play it.

soup
05-18-2010, 05:09 PM
90% of the personal thank yous I receive are for NOT allowing boxing. This has nothing to do with this topic.. and I'm very happy not to facilitate robots.

There's many other servers you can do that on.. go box elsewhere.

People aren't bringing it up to say they want boxing allowed, they are bringing it up as a counter-argument to everyone who says "xxxxxxxxx isn't classic!" because it shows exceptions to the supposed strict classical mentality are made.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 05:10 PM
aka, has nothing to do with current argument? Make a new thread

Phallax
05-18-2010, 05:11 PM

its 100% about the thread when peoples reasoning for YES is "its classic"

nilbog
05-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Actually, I'll respond to that then.

In 1999, what do you think was the total population of players physically using more than 1 machine to play EQ? 2 ISDN, dial-up, or rarely cable modem machines. I'd guess about 1%.

soup
05-18-2010, 05:13 PM

It's direct rebuttal to an argument someone makes about why OOC shouldn't be on, how are you unable to see how it's a relevant point to be made?

Person A: Global channels should be removed because they aren't classic and everything should be made to be classic on a classic server.
Person B: Well, boxing isn't allowed and classically would have been, yet you oppose boxing, therefore you don't support a strict classical setting.

lumin
05-18-2010, 05:14 PM

In 1999, what do you think was the total population of players physically using more than 1 machine to play EQ? 2 ISDN, dial-up, or rarely cable modem machines. I'd guess about 1%.

Agreed. Back in 1999, people simply did not have nearly as much capability to multi-box. Most households only had 1 PC.

Today, just about everyone has multiple computers lying around. It would be far more abused if it was used now.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Yep, that's why I made a new comment. I see where you're trying to go with that.

Maybe I'll do a lottery and give 1 person the right to box? I mean its relevant I guess, but really not. ON average, no one was boxing and EVERYONE was seeing only zonewide ooc and auction.

soup
05-18-2010, 05:15 PM

That's not the point, the point is classically it would have been allowed, and it is not allowed here to help foster certain elements of the server. Not everything is strictly classical.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Okay cool. We can argue that all day long.

Yes or No poll for current topic though.

L2Phantom
05-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Why are people posting that just because its classic it shouldn't be in for conveinence reasons? People already knew that when they cast their vote.

Removing it is winning the poll, its what is clearly desired by the greater majority.

lumin
05-18-2010, 05:18 PM
I think the bottom line is this about the Classic EQ argument:

Back in 1999 the developers of EQ were going for a very hardcore world to play in. Chatting was mostly local, corpse runs were often, grouping was required and grinding was very heavy.

Removing Global OOC supports the original dev team's intention of a hardcore world. If everyone had access to multiple computers back in 1999 to 2-box, I am 99.9% positive the devs would have outlawed it as well, since it clearly steers the game away from its original intention of requiring players to be social and work together to win. Multi-boxing removes the necessity to play together and collaborate to succeed.

Jayko
05-18-2010, 05:21 PM
From a strictly classic or no standpoint, the serverwide stuff doesn't have a leg to stand on. You either take playability and convenience into consideration or you don't...if it's just classic or not there's not even an argument to be had.

The one thing I'd say is that right now there's an ability to 'opt out' of the serverwide stuff. /shout works just as well for local stuff so nothing is really lost besides the micro-economy aspect of EC and zone specific auctions.

If the global channels are removed there won't be any way to opt in really...so it eliminates an option. In the end it's just for devs and community to decide whether they prefer convenience of the server-wide (and the GM task of policing the flamewars) or a strict 'classic' vibe on the server...hence the poll, I assume.

-Jayko

soup
05-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Why are people posting that just because its classic it shouldn't be in for conveinence reasons? People already knew that when they cast their vote.

Removing it is winning the poll, its what is clearly desired by the greater majority.
Too early to call that true. The amount of votes is a small percentage of how many people play the server. Now, I'm not saying one way or another if it would be the same or different if everyone votes, I'm just saying there's not necessarily enough votes yet to declare "The majority thinks this"

Maybe most votes right now are peak hour players and maybe peak hour players tend to lean towards turning it off and maybe the off hour players will log in later and see whats up and lean towards leaving it on. Could be countless other factors like this.

To be clear, I'm not saying one way or another that xxxx group leans this way or if everyone voted that, ALL I am saying is it's too early to say "The majority of players obviously support this one/that one"

stormlord
05-18-2010, 05:25 PM
I'll vote yes if we reach 1000 or more. But way before we reach 900 there'll be way too many people in global /ooc and global /auction. That's why I made my thread about filtering global chat. We already have a huge advantage compared to this game in 1999. Not only are there more people in /ooc and /auction, but we can reach them from anywhere in the world. We also have item links and easier access to forums. Think about it, do you know of any zone other than EC back in 1999 that would have had 300+ people in /ooc and /auction?

The reason I say 1000 or more is live had probably 1500-2500 average per day. We're not there yet! And live had in-game message boards that also helped to facilitate trading. I don't think 700 max population is enough because the average population isn't evne 400 yet. Per zone that would be a very small number. But nowadays we have easy access to forums because we can tab out of eq and people are more internet savvy these days. We also have item links and greater knowledge about this game. So I'll say 1000 or more as a roundabout guess.

I didn't vote because NO doesn't fully express my opinion.

Phallax
05-18-2010, 05:27 PM
I <3 you nilbog youre fun to get riled up =)

As I stated before really dont care either way which side this poll decides, Ill still be here playing. Should have a abstain option to those of us that really dont care either way.

My posts are just in the defense of the people claiming classicness.

Phallax
05-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Heres a possible thought. No clue how much coding or if even possible this is, but have "zone sets" say all the deserts have thier own channel, freeport/commons/nek/neriak/lava have thier own channel etc etc..It would cut down on the GLOBAL ooc and not limit to just 1 zone. EC tunnel would still exist because youd have to be in that zones set.

mitic
05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
the vision > everything else

that said, remove ooc, auction and while you are on it, item links too!

Rogean
05-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Item Link Removal: Never going to happen.

stormlord
05-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Heres a possible thought. No clue how much coding or if even possible this is, but have "zone sets" say all the deserts have thier own channel, freeport/commons/nek/neriak/lava have thier own channel etc etc..It would cut down on the GLOBAL ooc and not limit to just 1 zone. EC tunnel would still exist because youd have to be in that zones set.

I made a thread about this. It's named "Filter Global Chat". EC tunnel in this scheme wouldn't be meaningful, but playing in the freeport area would still be useful because you could reach faydwer
and antonica and evil races and mid continent.

Here:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7745

The reason EC was meaningful back then was because /ooc and /auction were zone-based. So you had to find hte most populated zone to increase your odds of making a sale. So people designated EC, a very logical choice, and greater faydark, to be the central trading zones for people to do sales.

Zzakk
05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
I agree with Stormlord..we don't have the population yet to support single zone /auction. On live, there were tons of peeps on all 3 continents and Qey and Fay had their own auctions without having to run all the way to EC tunnel. I just foresee ppl getting frustrated trying to buy or sell to a limited audience.

fogbound
05-18-2010, 05:39 PM
IMO EQ was ruined by making things "easy" thats why I left, who knows the population may grow even faster if things where more Classic, thats why we are all here in the first place is'nt it?

nilbog
05-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Prekunark.. there were not, actually tons. 2000ish tops, prekunark.

Average 1000-1500? We are thinking for the future, server has 700 now. The fact that we are even discussing numbers again means we are heading in the right direction.

The original arguments for this when the server first opened were.. there's only 200 people! We must wait for the 500!

Now, its 700, and people are asking for more. If you were here or not, its funny. :P When will it be enough?

Malrubius
05-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Phallax
05-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Average 1000-1500? We are thinking for the future, server has 700 now. The fact that we are even discussing numbers again means we are heading in the right direction.

The original arguments for this when the server first opened were.. there's only 200 people! We must wait for the 500!

Now, its 700, and people are asking for more. If you were here or not, its funny. :P When will it be enough?

NEVER!

No but really you're never going to be able to please both parties. I believe the solution I posted and storm has made a thread about for filtering to certain zone sets would make a decent negotiation fix and hopefully somewhat please both sides.

Bones
05-18-2010, 05:45 PM

I like this idea.

soup
05-18-2010, 05:49 PM

Well, I think almost everyone agrees at some number the global thing should go, the issue what is that number?

Really there's no way to just theorize in your head and really come up with what is a reasonable number, the only way to find out is to get there. That's why I think a very reasonable idea would be to turn the global chat off for a few days or a week or whatever then have another poll and see if it reflects the same sentiments this one does.

Mordachai
05-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I can't wait until global chat is gone. The sooner the better.

Yoite
05-18-2010, 05:50 PM
people training griffons and slate to the tunnel...people guarding the tunnel against people training griffons and slate...its gonna be awesome guys...gonna be awesome

ryuut1
05-18-2010, 05:56 PM
all i know is in classic i had a cof , full woven shadow and a runed bolster belt.

let's make this totally classic.

lumin
05-18-2010, 06:11 PM
IMO EQ was ruined by making things "easy" thats why I left, who knows the population may grow even faster if things where more Classic, thats why we are all here in the first place is'nt it?

I agree, people are here because this is a Classic Server. Think about it, we peaked at 650 players last Thursday. Monday night we peaked at around 720. The server is increasing in size by nearly 100 players per week.

I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 1000 active players within one month.

doacleric
05-18-2010, 06:41 PM
In Feb of this year, I recommended that when we reach 750 max players, we should finally turn off Global channels. Back then we were hitting 350 max players, and it seemed like a long ways away. But it looks like that time has finally come.

There are now more than enough players to allow for "help" for new players, even if ooc is limited to zone only. And hell, sometimes you just gotta let those newbies experiment and figure stuff out on their own. Who here doesn't remember the first time they started typing to an NPC, forgot to hit ENTER, and got whacked in 1/2 a second when they hit the 'a' key?

Even during low times, there are more than enough players. The LFG ability is there for a reason - to help players find groups. I play on P1999 and I use it, and it does work. And i'm betting once global channels are gone, its going to be used even more.

The bottom line is - global channels will have to eventually go away, like it or not. As the population continues to grow, so will the amount of spam. We don't want it to have to get to the point where players turn OOC off completely, because well that doesn't help anyone either.

Ceridain
05-18-2010, 06:52 PM
^ wise words! =]

Hilolas
05-18-2010, 07:02 PM
I haven't seen this mentioned...

What about when people need ports, rezzes, etc... Now all the druids, wizzies and clerics are gonna get even more tells asking for their services, instead of people just using ooc and auction to get services.

-Hilolas

Zephys
05-18-2010, 07:04 PM
And what's wrong with that?

/who all cleric is classic!

jilena
05-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Voted "no". EQ is boring when you are the only person in the zone. It wasn't fun in classic and I see that happening a lot more here. I guess there is no way to please everyone and obviously the classic "purists" have an easy advantage in this argument. I will miss the feeling of community the global channels created though. *shrug*

ryuut1
05-18-2010, 07:05 PM
/anonymous or /role for them

let's get back to how we restore my old rogue gear for a more "classic" feel.

cof, rbb, full woven shadow.

Nedala
05-18-2010, 07:19 PM
I vote for a testrun for about 1 week and then another poll :)

Shannacore
05-18-2010, 07:31 PM

WROOOONG

Malrubius
05-18-2010, 07:35 PM
The more I think about it the more hopeful I am about /AUCTION being per-zone.

/OOC seems like a no-brainer to me. Its usefulness is near nil right now.

/AUCTION can survive this way for awhile longer I suppose. But I don't see a reason to wait. Once we all gravitate to the EC tunnel, I think the popularity of the server will grow much faster.

Exciting times.

Aprio
05-18-2010, 07:39 PM
WROOOONG

Why?

keen
05-18-2010, 07:45 PM
What if there was a player specific option, IE: /ooczone to toggle on/off whether or not you want your ooc to be global or just in your zone? Or an option for a global channel for those who want to be able to speak globally: /join global (don't remember how to join channels to be honest.. lol). I know this isn't classic but with the population at it's current state it could get a little too quiet without global OOC, and it was a huge help for me getting back in to the game to be able to ask a question in ooc and get help knowing that at least one in the 400 people that are online will have the answer.

Rania
05-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Zone only - might actually make people use the /lfg on tool !

kariden
05-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Earlier Nilborg said it was extremely selfish for those that want to keep ooc as global to ask those that dont want it to be global to turn it off.
I think its selfish for those that profess to hate the global nature of ooc to ask others to give it up and to use the channel to spam their agenda as profusely as they did today.
Its not that hard to right click and make a new chat window and filter ooc to it or to /ignore those really bad spam-bots
I Use the default UI that titanium has and I run with 4 chat windows. Primary Chat, combat, spells, spam. I have /auction and /ooc in my spam window and its the smallest window on my right side since I personally look more at the left side chat window (group chat, server announcements, con messages, exp messages, loot messages etc etc)

For about an hour of sitting there watching the chat window go by I observed that about 20percent of the use of the channel was productive chats. People seeking groups, porting services, seeking rez's, general questions about the server.
The Pro vs. Con fight was a good 60 percent or 70 percent of the chat. Going to chalk that up to this poll and not go any further.
Now the remaining part was pure stupid spam but every server has it in some way or another.

Since I only log in here for a few hours here and there I have no "working knowledge" of how good or bad the ooc is on a daily basis and this is just my observation for today.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 08:33 PM
I think its selfish for those that profess to hate the global nature of ooc to ask others to give it up and to use the channel to spam their agenda as profusely as they did today.

I could have spammed it in yellow, but that's my right. No one should be able to spam the server in green ooc chat, including me. I announced the poll was on the website, I didn't ask for the responses in the game. Mostly hate tells and entitled people telling me how and what to do. If that channel is open, everyone will use it. That's the problem.

Aprio
05-18-2010, 08:33 PM
There are tools and ways of finding services and groups without a global chat channel. Half the time it's idiots foaming off at the mouth and I want to play classic EQ without having to read a load of bollocks half the time. I voted for ooc/auction to be switched to zone only.

Beef
05-18-2010, 09:04 PM
this will lead to all kinds of issues getting reses ports and groups. And it will be alot lonlier and quieter in alot of places.

nicemace
05-18-2010, 09:15 PM
i already have a hard enough time finding groups :\ this will pretty much force me to solo. shrug oh well.

SpartanEQ
05-18-2010, 09:18 PM
I vote for a testrun for about 1 week and then another poll :)

I voted yes. Even though I think most polls are like the useless meetings I have at work, I like the idea of a trial run and another poll.

I'm actually not hugely in favor of it one way or another. I kinda like it the way it is now, but I'm very curious about how it would be if it was zone specific.

ulrich
05-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Some say it will be less of a sense of community.

I disagree. I think it will increase the rate of people meeting new people. Relying on the people in the zone with you and conversing. Most people already use their guild and friends for groups and chatting. This will be a good thing for the server if you ask me. There is also the LFG tool as Doacleric said.

I voted for zone only!

Shewz
05-18-2010, 10:02 PM

As someone with a statistics background, it's infinitely upsetting that we're using this poll as the end-all tell-all of public opinion. If you really want a legitimate public opinion, which you claim you do I still do care what people think though!, you should take a truly random sample from online players and poll them. Not everyone visits these forums, as you've said Yep. Pretty much. The 15(?)% of the population that uses the forums and the 1% that uses IRC will use it for auction. So until that's done, this poll is factually 100% bunk.

eqdruid76
05-18-2010, 10:05 PM
As someone with a statistics background, it's infinitely upsetting that we're using this poll as the end-all tell-all of public opinion. If you really want a legitimate public opinion, which you claim you do , you should take a truly random sample from online players and poll them. Not everyone visits these forums, as you've said So until that's done, this poll is factually 100% bunk.

unless it favors your stance, at which point it's perfectly legitimate.

lolconservatives....

ulrich
05-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Notice that most of the posters have 1 post count. Or this is really the first time you have posted on the forums Shewz? Really.? be honest

They are making new accounts to post NO.

It is probably just 2 or 3 people with diff accounts causing the trouble in responses.

Example shewz ^^^

A random sample is more accurate?? The only accurate poll would be one where everyone on the server voted one time. You have no statistical background shewz. You just make stuff up.

It doesn't matter what this poll shows anyway. It is the Developers decision.

Shewz
05-18-2010, 10:10 PM
I didn't take a stance, and I stated a fact. This poll is inaccurate.

You're posting wild speculation. I'm not.

nilbog
05-18-2010, 10:26 PM
I didn't take a stance, and I stated a fact. This poll is inaccurate.If you're trying to convince me that internet polls are not accurate, there's no need.

I am polling people asking for their current opinions. I don't care how you think I should poll people. Most people appreciate being able to be heard and/or vote. They might be more upset with a "random sampling" and this is the very best way of giving everyone the chance to give their opinion.

If I didn't care, I wouldn't have made the poll at all.

soup
05-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Notice that most of the posters have 1 post count. Or this is really the first time you have posted on the forums Shewz? Really.? be honest

They are making new accounts to post NO.

It is probably just 2 or 3 people with diff accounts causing the trouble in responses.

Orrrrrr lots of people who never posted before decided to start after there was several broadcast messages sent to the server today since the issue in question is a pretty significant one that motivates people to post when they never did before.

That's what happened with me.

Allied10
05-18-2010, 10:55 PM
I think it should be turned to zonewide OOC eventually. But I still think we need more of a server population. Almost there IMO.

Rusttic77
05-18-2010, 11:00 PM
I played back in the day and the whole issue of having no way to communicate server wide, was always frustrating... I think at most make it so the player character must reach level 5 or even 3 for that matter to avoid morons and at worst bots from spaming ect which is the main issue . Just my 2 cents . Rusttic -- Smarty 33 pally on P1999

hyzon
05-18-2010, 11:01 PM
I have been playing for over a month now, and have had ooc /auction minimized in the corner of my screen for almost the entire time.

There's a consistent (and somewhat small proportionally) group of people that hold the other 600+ people hostage with mostly random banter.

I think it would be beneficial if you wanted to add an "opt-in" global channel that functioned under a /global or /1 type command?

Mostly it's not classic, and it's a shame because I find myself usually having to shout things that are zone specific (such as SoW and bind requests).

It's not at all convenient to get rid of ooc / auction. But neither are a million other things that make classic EQ what it is / was.

I generally can /who any zone I'm interested in to see who's there and ask someone politely to do camp checks, or to see if a camp is available, etc. I've met friends this way. Getting rid of global ooc / auction would do very little that couldn't be done in slightly more cumbersome ways.

That's my 2cp.

Shewz
05-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Let people voice their opinions without a bogus poll. I know Nilbog cares so he should get the real public opinion, not the skewed one.

P.S. I'm not a conservative, a fake account, lacking a statistical background, nor do I make stuff up, but thanks for asking.

r0xx0r
05-18-2010, 11:13 PM
I believe, this server is founded on making it classic, not what's best of classic, for better or worse. IMHO: worldwide ooc/auction makes it easy. If there is something that can be changed to make it the same as it was during classic, you'll always see me vote yes for it.

manhatten

Shrubwise
05-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Like Dr. Manhatten?

kariden
05-18-2010, 11:50 PM
I could have spammed it in yellow, but that's my right. No one should be able to spam the server in green ooc chat, including me. I announced the poll was on the website, I didn't ask for the responses in the game. Mostly hate tells and entitled people telling me how and what to do. If that channel is open, everyone will use it. That's the problem.

True if the channel is there it will be used. Its more of a design limitation then a purpose design that global chat was not introduced until later expansions and I understand that the goal of this server is true to classic feel and time line. I applaud the work done to the server since the first week of release and I understand both sides of the argument on the global chat.

While I prefer the global chat as a easy way to conduct some business I cringed at some of the arguments made to keep it.
Telling me you would have a very hard time finding groups is not a valid argument.
Unless I am completely mistaken, I did play from day 1 but this is years ago now, you could /who all X Y (level range) and /who all zoneshortname.
If people wish to remain /anon or /role then they just miss out on random invites to groups. If someone is to lazy to use the /who feature and send direct tells asking for room in groups And/OR to be placed on a wait list for a xp group that is their problem.

I remember my best exp group in the days of classic, Lower Guk Frenzy camp. This was a few months prior to RoK being released and I wanted a group and was on my way to guk. I checked on /who and in guild to find out who was in the zone and sent direct tells before I even left Freeport. I was placed on the waiting list and due to being a slow paladin with no Jboots or druid around to SoW me I ran it. Got there and only had to wait a few minutes until a spot in the group opened and I camped there that whole long weekend. (Got to love 3 day breaks in highschool back then)
During this time I went from 6th on the loot list to 1st and became the list holder for people wanting into the group.

So while I would love to see global chat channels for the times I am on this server, using the "its harder to get groups" argument just doesnt hold any water.

At the same time I feel that the counter argument of "I dont want to see the spam" doesnt hold any water either. While I sit here and tell others to be proactive in searching for those groups, send tells ahead of arriving in zones and make contacts, I also tell those lazy bastards that dont want to read so much ooc to filter it.

Worried you might miss something from a direct tell or a guild message? use the chat filter feature. I know you purest want none of that to be available but the problem is that its there. While global chats is a ruleset that can be turned off on the server you are not able to remove the filter option from the titanium client.

P.S. In classic I never used ooc outside of classic raids. You know, the days when Shout // OOC // AUC in the zone was designated to specific players/classes in the raid.

Fastforward to EMU days and OOC being global is a tool able to benefit the population as a whole and those abusing it can be /ignored or as far as GM silenced where they lose all global chat abilities.

/rant off
I support either outcome as a casual player. I just stand up against the morons on both sides that fail to present a solid case for or against.

anthony210
05-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Voted YES! The time has come to remove global ooc and auction. We have the population and I dont even bother looking at my ooc/auction window at this point because it scrolls so fast.

Pezmerga
05-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Voted no. People dont want bazaar type mechanics because it removes the social aspect, so why make it harder to communicate? :)

anthony210
05-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Voted no. People dont want bazaar type mechanics because it removes the social aspect, so why make it harder to communicate? :)

This would actually increase the social aspect by forcing people to auction in one zone. Instead of being able to auction to the entire world.

People will have to go to one zone to buy and sell things.

No more "WTS SSB" "Where are you?" "Oh shit im on the other side of the world, nevermind"...

Toad
05-19-2010, 01:03 AM

Me. I played Beta Phase 3, never played Live EQ. Got nostalgic one day and was just randomly searching for classic gaming/emulators. Came across PEQ, then saw 99. I have no friend, played Beta for 3 weeks and had a level 13 bard. So I'm that 1% and proud of it :)

Shrubwise
05-19-2010, 01:50 AM
http://www.projectmayhemguild.org/images/ServerWide.jpg

And for the record, I am against global chat :eek:

nilbog
05-19-2010, 01:52 AM
rofllllllll. :)

Thank you for that.

Bones
05-19-2010, 02:00 AM
lol shrubwise <3

eqdruid76
05-19-2010, 02:06 AM

Speak for yourself. At this point, the majority of the participants DO want "bazaar-type mechanics". It doesn't remove the social aspect, it nurtures it.

As for "Why make it harder to communicate"....and I'm going to use caps for this, so don't be alarmed...BECAUSE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE HARDER TO COMMUNICATE!

Try to look at it this way. In 1999, when Everquest was designed, the game was several chat servers with a video game GUI. When you zoned, you logged onto another chat server. Think of early AOL chat, or MSN and Yahoo Messenger. What you advocate is one gigantic chat room, rather than 70 individual specialized chat rooms, as was intended when the game was created.

Serverwide chat dumbs down the game. It makes it easier, simpler, more convenient, and safer. The entire purpose of this server is to simulate the experience of playing Everquest BEFORE the game was dumbed down, before it was made easier, simpler, more convenient and safer. And I REALLY have to continually ask why anyone who is looking for an easier time would be playing on what is by design the most challenging server.

Beau
05-19-2010, 02:20 AM
I think it's silly to argue that it "helps" so many new characters. It doesn't "help" them at all unless you mean spoon feeding them things they should be learning and exploring on their own. I dont mean that in a mean and arrogant way, it is really good for you it will make you better for so many reasons. That is part of the allure of classic Everquest. They really don't grow into their characters and the game as well as they would if they had to learn more things on their own. People who are spoiled early on tend to be bored later, thats just life. Also Seeing uber item links all day long in serverwide auction makes it a lot less excite the first time you get that shiny brass shield , or full banded set.

As far as the group thing is concerned, 80% of /ooc is /ooc Soandso LFG! or /ooc Dark skinned man does horrible things to your mother and you love it! - In other words, in one way or another, with the server population going up, it is all spam. - Try this. Sit down during a relatively busy hour of the day in game and watch chat for 1 minute. There will be times you can't even keep up people are firing so much crap off. In short? Too many people using the same resource. It's waaay oversaturated. There are simple commands for finding groups and zone populations from ANYWHERE in the game that dont require bystanders to be either spammed or shut off from a classic resource.

/Who all level# level# class lfg
/who all zone
or you can put all at the end it doesn't matter both work. The point is If people use LFG then you really dont have a problem. If people check a zone they can see who is looking for more by sending a tell.

And come on!?! East commons tunnel... need i say more?

On another note, item linking is another thing that's not classic, can that be done away with or is that like something with the newer interfaces? I honestly know nothing about that stuff (obviously heh)

Phallax
05-19-2010, 02:21 AM
Speak for yourself. At this point, the majority of the participants DO want "bazaar-type mechanics". It doesn't remove the social aspect, it nurtures it.

As for "Why make it harder to communicate"....and I'm going to use caps for this, so don't be alarmed...BECAUSE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE HARDER TO COMMUNICATE!

Try to look at it this way. In 1999, when Everquest was designed, the game was several chat servers with a video game GUI. When you zoned, you logged onto another chat server. Think of early AOL chat, or MSN and Yahoo Messenger. What you advocate is one gigantic chat room, rather than 70 individual specialized chat rooms, as was intended when the game was created.

Serverwide chat dumbs down the game. It makes it easier, simpler, more convenient, and safer. The entire purpose of this server is to simulate the experience of playing Everquest BEFORE the game was dumbed down, before it was made easier, simpler, more convenient and safer. And I REALLY have to continually ask why anyone who is looking for an easier time would be playing on what is by design the most challenging server.

You made good points but your analogy was horrible.

eqdruid76
05-19-2010, 02:22 AM
You made good points but your analogy was horrible.

Aye, most completely accurate analogies are horrible......

eqdruid76
05-19-2010, 02:23 AM
Good point about item linking as well. But that's next month's crusade. One battle at a time. :P

Phallax
05-19-2010, 02:25 AM
Aye, most completely accurate analogies are horrible......

comparing game chat to a chat program is in noway completely accurate...

Blazed420
05-19-2010, 02:30 AM
Remove global auction and if anyone auctions in ooc then flame the hell out of them or even have repercussions. Thisway we can have oldworld bazaar in EC tunnel. As for global ooc this game would seem empty without it and would do more harm than good. Im againt censorship in most forms anyway tho.

MrB
05-19-2010, 02:57 AM
Voted yes.

When playing on other servers its great not to have the endless rubbish spamming all over the screen. If people want to endlessly chat/flame/rant/whatever about non game things they have forums, chats channels, websites not OOC.

While i would like to keep it on, turning it off is the simplest way to stop the rubbish. I'm sure it puts as many people off as it helps.

:D:D grats on even greater server numbers:D:D

Shawk
05-19-2010, 03:15 AM
I find this needs to be local,

This is a classic server, having the ooc and auc global really kills the nastalgia

Elendae
05-19-2010, 03:24 AM
I like the prospect of a more dynamic economy.

mitic
05-19-2010, 04:14 AM
I haven't seen this mentioned...

What about when people need ports, rezzes, etc... Now all the druids, wizzies and clerics are gonna get even more tells asking for their services, instead of people just using ooc and auction to get services.

-Hilolas

if you, as a clr or druid/wiz, are available to sell rezzes or ports just go visible. if you dont want to be bothered, go anon

its easy.