PDA

View Full Version : necros Vs mage?

Khaedyn
05-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Which are the better soloers? Ive heard Necros due to their dots, and then Ive heard mages due to their nukes and pets...opinions?

SamwiseRed
05-06-2012, 10:16 PM
those reasons have nothing to do with soloing. necros are better imo because they have more utility like FD. necros also get a snare and fear and can mez/lull undead. mages lack cc except for earth pet root. Mage pets do outrageous dmg so you also have to worry about getting hit with the pet xp penalty if you are not careful. i dont play either so dont take this info as scripture.

fd= feign death
cc= crowd control (survivability)

Zionized
05-07-2012, 04:21 AM
You might sacrifice a little bit of speed if you pick a necro, but like Samwise said, nothing in the game can replace Feign death when soloing. Combine this with a decent pet, some consistent damage and i wouldn't look back after picking a necro if those are your criterias.

Khaedyn
05-07-2012, 08:27 PM
right on, thanks for the replies. I find myself soloing mostly so I was hoping to get a class that can solo the most efficiently.

Zionized
05-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Necro is hand down the best solo class. Some people like druids instead but again, the ability to split camps with feign death surpasses the big heals.

slickmasterizzy
07-16-2012, 09:59 AM
mages cant really kite, cant fear kite, cant aggro kite

Snagglepuss
07-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Technically, Mages can "kite" through their pets damage shield when you define kiting as keeping the mob at a distance from your character.

But I agree that they lack the solo utility that a necro does.

I played a mage and find that they are more group friendly. People loving having damage shields and pet toys. CotH makes a happy Cypt / seb group especially when your healer needs to leave and your replacement is at the entrance. I also solo'd 1 to 53. Then, once you get 55 (Dyzil's Deafening Decoy) then you can solo to 60 easily.

Marmo
07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Pre pet Xp nerf I'd say mage hands down, most anything you want to solo your fire pet can just handle it. 1-50 I only ever cast my level 1 DD once per mob.

But now... Necro. Especially with all the open areas in kunark to kite in, undead everywhere.

Snagglepuss
07-16-2012, 05:07 PM
I agree. Post-pet exp nerf, lower level mages have a big disavantage. However, Dyzil's Deafening Decoy (55) is a pretty cool spell that basically re-invents the glory of the 49 Fire pet. Now the problem is, pets no long instantaneously cast their damage shield. Since it can take 1 to 20 seconds, chaining fire pets is a moot art.

Magi can kill almost anything single with the earth pet, it's just slow as balls.

botrainer
08-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Best over all solo class, Necro, if u can get ur hands on all there spells at the level u can start using them. Necro can play small roles in groups aswell, Snaring mobs like a ranger, druid, and SK can, can still dps even OOM (with their pets) and at later levels help recover from a wipe by FDing and rezzing the cleric to make the recovery. On the final plus side, they can heal themselfs and have a form of Mana regen (at higher levels) without the need of a Chanter offering it....VS mage they dont match up to well from the teens to 50s until mages can get there spells, damage shield and 1.0 epic meaning ALOT of play time and being with the right crew to help...

Shadius
08-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I played a 55 Necro and 59 Enchanter on Live. I could solo just about anything. Between the monster of a pet, the DOT's, life taps, and HP to mana conversion I had almost zero downtime when soloing as a Necro. Add screaming terror to that for crowd control and FD if I need to split multiple spawns. Not only was it highly rewarding but also extremely fun.

I didn't solo much as an Enchanter since I had a lot more fun grouping but from what I recall, the Necro was much more efficient when soloing especially since if shit hit the fan I could just FD.

Houdiny
08-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I would say life as a necro would be better soloing. Not many have mentioned the lich that Necros get which allows for faster mana regen.

Only problem with necros is they need space. And good camps don't always allow you that space. Unless you are quite a bit higher level then what you are killing the space is important for fearing and such. Mages don't necessarily need much space to operate.

Really depends on if you have areas picked out that will allow you to level quickly. I myself have never liked the necro class. Most people I talk too love it. And I can understand why. It's just not my cup of tea.

I think you would be pretty happy with either class honestly. Both bring good things to the table.

Arteker
08-05-2012, 01:43 PM
I would say life as a necro would be better soloing. Not many have mentioned the lich that Necros get which allows for faster mana regen.

Only problem with necros is they need space. And good camps don't always allow you that space. Unless you are quite a bit higher level then what you are killing the space is important for fearing and such. Mages don't necessarily need much space to operate.

Really depends on if you have areas picked out that will allow you to level quickly. I myself have never liked the necro class. Most people I talk too love it. And I can understand why. It's just not my cup of tea.

I think you would be pretty happy with either class honestly. Both bring good things to the table.
thats quite stupid and wrong , necros can solo in real tiny spaces with the combination of root /lich /dot dot dot /root /loot.

u forgot aswell necro charm spells. while chanetrs are supreme at this u gotta remember a necro still can fd when things going wrong with a bad charm .

even in classic here u gotta remember FD didint break charmed pets, so u could go charm undead ghoul lord, move it to live king , fd and send the pet to kill and destroy safely.

also abre in mind in p99 necros never had the original 49 pet wich was the biggest dps shit u got in game being superior to any other pet (or mele ) in game pre kunark.

theaetatus
08-05-2012, 01:53 PM

You have to remember that fear is only one of the many options a necro has... They can root or mez (or lull with undead) too, or just split the camp with fd, and stop runners with snare or root as required. All a mage can do is send in a pet and hope they kill stuff before they die and that nothing runs off.

Splorf22
08-06-2012, 03:39 AM
I would say 1-50 its all Necro. You give up a bit of pet strength for lifetap heals, FD, fear, mez, and very efficient DoTs. Sure Mages will do fine XP wise by finding those solo outdoors targets and mindlessly killing them every 6 minutes, but for a dungeon crawl give me a necro any day.

At 51+ though the surprise winner is . . . enchanter! For three big reasons:

1) Mob HP. When fighting a L50 mob that hits for 140 and has 10k hp with a L45 pet that hits for 70 and has 2700 hp . . . the pet is not going to last long. Enchanters can fix this with slow. If the animation has a burly 1800hp or so, divide that by 0.3 for 70% haste for over 5000hp equivalent. This is ignoring the Rune/Bedlam line too; with Bedlam and slow I tanked the Armsman (L52) myself all the way while good old Gebober beat him down. Basically slow/haste become huge with the longer fights.

2) Summoning mobs. Enchanters have PBAOE stuns and AOE mez to deal with charm breaks against summoning mobs. Plus when the summoner is slowed it almost doesn't count at all. So even with undead mobs to charm the necro is at a pretty significant disadvantage.

3) Power curve. A lot of enchanter spells just keep getting better. Rune IV/Bedlam for 1100 hp at L60 is great, Theft of Thought is amazing, and most importantly: the Leatherfoot Raider Skullcap is cheap enough that if you are soloing you can afford to use it to bail you out of most bad situations; it's like a 200p FD :D Really its hard to overestimate the importance of the WC Cap: without it I think enchanters soloing zones like HS South would be borderline impossible. Even in an a relatively easy area like Chef/Bar I have to be really careful when my cap isn't charged.

All that being said, Necros can still do an absolute ton, but I think they lose a bit of their edge. Velious will be interesting, as from what I hear the vast majority of mobs are either sick MR, or immune to stun/mez. So enchanters will suck there and Shamans will rule.

theaetatus
08-06-2012, 04:12 AM
All well and good but that wasn't the question. ;)

Houdiny
08-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Ya you guys are completely right. Root is so stable and reliable lol

You all make it sound as if I said Necros aren't any good. I think they are the best solo class there is. Because they are. I'm just saying they have their advantages and being enclosed in small quarters is not one of them. I never said they couldn't. They just work better with open space, room to kite, fear, pet being able to beat on them. All those things make for a more efficient necro and less mana usage. Making it easier to more productive to solo.

I never said Necros can't operate with root. It's just not the best way to level one. You guys seen me say I don't like the necro class and took it as an attack. It wasn't. I was just stating my play style. Necros are very effective in a lot of ways. But you cannot sit there and tell me they are better in enclosed areas then wide open space. No caster is.

Galanteer
08-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Velious will be interesting, as from what I hear the vast majority of mobs are either sick MR, or immune to stun/mez. So enchanters will suck there and Shamans will rule.

There are lots of sweet charm solo spots for enchanters in Velious.

Chippy
08-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Play what you want and stfu.

Arteker
08-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Dude , HS is the paradise for a necro, u can do there 53 to 60 with ease while u solo mobs would take grps just with charm , root .

theaetatus
08-07-2012, 06:35 AM
I never said Necros can't operate with root. It's just not the best way to level one. You guys seen me say I don't like the necro class and took it as an attack. It wasn't. I was just stating my play style. Necros are very effective in a lot of ways. But you cannot sit there and tell me they are better in enclosed areas then wide open space. No caster is.

Indeed... But what you were saying was that mages worked better in a smaller space, when necros still have more options even then. It's not an attack, just seemed odd. :)

Houdiny
08-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Indeed... But what you were saying was that mages worked better in a smaller space, when necros still have more options even then. It's not an attack, just seemed odd. :)

I said Mages don't necessarily need a lot of space to operate. Which they don't. I'm sure Necros have more utility even in smaller spaces because...well Necros have more options than any other class in the game period. But one of the strengths to the Mage is his pet. And it's ability to tank. That's all I'm trying to say.

filthyphil
08-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Necros are about efficiency, not raw killing power. That being said put a necro in any of the situations you all have listed & while your class might down the mob faster, the necro will do so continuously without pause.

diplo
08-29-2012, 02:08 PM
mages are teh win if you want to farm items. way less work and way faster. fd is for sissies!

Sickle
08-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Necro

/Thread

Khaedyn
10-26-2012, 01:45 AM
haha when i posted this i had no idea it would get this kind of response. Thank you all for weighing in!

Sickpuppy
11-21-2012, 12:48 PM
59 Mage here can duo and solo 90% of enything I want to kill in the game pretty easy