PDA

View Full Version : Enchanters and Charm/Kill Soloing!

Vermicelli
04-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Charm/kill soloing is my fave way to grind it out alone as an ENC. Truly the best with the Charms L39+ and with over 200 CHA, it is a solid way to level with little risk if you do it smartly! Find a potential pet that is several levels lower than you and Tash it, then pull it to a safe spot and charm it. You may want to root or mez it before charming, since you prolly won't have enough time between the mob coming into casting range and the casting time required by your higher level charms. Tell it to stay while you find a playmate!

Pull another mob that is very close in level and HP/damage potential to your charmed pet, ideally another instance of the same mob, root it in your camping area, and have the two duke it out until they are both very low on health. Cockatrices outside of Karnor's Castle are very good targets in your L40's, and you may try the higher level side of the Overthere. You might want to get some distance from the fight while you med in case Charm or Root breaks. When either mob is a little lower than 20% HP (hopefully, both will be very low on HP at this time), re-root the enemy mob and call your pet back from combat. Cast invis on yourself (or if you are a dark elf, use Hide) to break the Charm, then kill your ex-pet with a nuke and afterwards dispatch with the enemy mob. Doing this allows you to get full XP from both creatures, since if your pet does more than 50% of the damage to a target, it will eat a hefty amount of XP, however if you kill it first it won't be around to take the XP from you!

My typical spellset for this kind of work is Tash, Nuke, Charm, Invisibility, Color stun, Mez (current level), Mez (level 4), and Root. The L4 Mez is very useful to use if you need to recharm your pet if it breaks before you are ready, since the L4 Mez only lasts 24 seconds. If you don't want to bother with L4 Mez, perhaps a lower mana-costing nuke to finish a mob that only has a sliver of HP left?

The only buffs necessary for charm/kill soloing are Clarity and +CHA. I also like to have up Shielding as well as Rune for an additional HP buffer incase of snafu. Raise some hell!!

Splorf22
04-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Charm/kill soloing is my fave way to grind it out alone as an ENC. Truly the best with the Charms L39+ and with over 200 CHA, it is a solid way to level with little risk if you do it smartly! Find a potential pet that is several levels lower than you and Tash it, then pull it to a safe spot and charm it. You may want to root or mez it before charming, since you prolly won't have enough time between the mob coming into casting range and the casting time required by your higher level charms. Tell it to stay while you find a playmate!

Pull another mob that is very close in level and HP/damage potential to your charmed pet, ideally another instance of the same mob, root it in your camping area, and have the two duke it out until they are both very low on health. Cockatrices outside of Karnor's Castle are very good targets in your L40's, and you may try the higher level side of the Overthere. You might want to get some distance from the fight while you med in case Charm or Root breaks. When either mob is a little lower than 20% HP (hopefully, both will be very low on HP at this time), re-root the enemy mob and call your pet back from combat. Cast invis on yourself (or if you are a dark elf, use Hide) to break the Charm, then kill your ex-pet with a nuke and afterwards dispatch with the enemy mob. Doing this allows you to get full XP from both creatures, since if your pet does more than 50% of the damage to a target, it will eat a hefty amount of XP, however if you kill it first it won't be around to take the XP from you!

My typical spellset for this kind of work is Tash, Nuke, Charm, Invisibility, Color stun, Mez (current level), Mez (level 4), and Root. The L4 Mez is very useful to use if you need to recharm your pet if it breaks before you are ready, since the L4 Mez only lasts 24 seconds. If you don't want to bother with L4 Mez, perhaps a lower mana-costing nuke to finish a mob that only has a sliver of HP left?

The only buffs necessary for charm/kill soloing are Clarity and +CHA. I also like to have up Shielding as well as Rune for an additional HP buffer incase of snafu. Raise some hell!!

As long as you are killing melee mobs that don't summon outdoors, Charm is really pretty safe and a great way to grind levels easily. The above method will work pretty well. Dungeons get a little bit more interesting but most of it is just knowing the exact locations and pathing of all the mobs.

I would only add: go buy/farm that Goblin Gazughi Ring! As an enchanter most of your good equipment is nodrop planar gear anyway, except for the really high end stuff. You'll get a lot more mileage out of instant charm break than any +stats item, esp once you have full insidious gear.

Rezek
05-23-2012, 10:35 AM
So just to be clear you do get full xp on the pet kill even tho your doing a small % of damage and the creature who did most the damage is still up? Does a non-pet npc not take any xp?

Vermicelli
05-24-2012, 04:16 PM
break the Charm, then kill your ex-pet with a nuke and afterwards dispatch with the enemy mob. Doing this allows you to get full XP from both creatures, since if your pet does more than 50% of the damage to a target, it will eat a hefty amount of XP, however if you kill it first it won't be around to take the XP from you!

After you break your charm, kill the mob you previously had as a pet before you kill the other one. If you kill the other mob before you kill your ex-pet, you will not get full credit for your half-assed job =)

Rezek
05-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Cool, just wanted to make sure I was understanding properly...thanks!

godbox
05-31-2012, 11:50 AM
whats the lowest lvl chanters can start charming effectivly like this I read some ench lvling guide that said pretty much at 12 start doin it on mobs at the wiz plat in nro and then move to crocs in oasis.

Rezek
06-01-2012, 12:14 AM
I started at 12 with no problems...at 14 the sisters camp in lfay is great for charm solo. You can pull 2 at a time so it works prefect, and the plat is unreal for the level.

godbox
06-01-2012, 01:49 AM
I started at 12 with no problems...at 14 the sisters camp in lfay is great for charm solo. You can pull 2 at a time so it works prefect, and the plat is unreal for the level.

thanks for the advice =)
4 more lvls to go ^^
now if only i can find somone to sell a gazughi ring

mwatt
06-05-2012, 03:19 PM

I didn't start till 29 and it was a little iffy with charm breaks even then, IMO. It wasn't until I hit 34 and got the new Charisma buff that I was able to break 200 CHA with my charming gear set. Once over 200, breaks were much less frequent.

Incidentally, before 29 I played like hybrid of a Wizard and a Mage. I would throw my pet (animation) in but I would nuke repeatedly to ensure more damage than pet (and to save mane from having to "heal" him with (Berzerker Strength). This nuking strategy required a lot of running for distance (JBoots a tremendous help) and also rooting.

Sobr
07-09-2012, 08:15 AM
I just tried this and it seemed to work... memory blur enemy mob when its under, let it regen 1 tick of hp, and nuke it. Ur pet gets no exp u get 100%. amirite?

Vermicelli
07-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I just tried this and it seemed to work... memory blur enemy mob when its under, let it regen 1 tick of hp, and nuke it. Ur pet gets no exp u get 100%. amirite?

This would work if your memblur is successful. It's not 100% fail-proof, so you might wanna memblur two or three times to be sure. Personally, I prefer to let the two mobs grind each other down, then I kill both for xp so I don't have to worry about the charmed pet breaking while I am medding. You are correct that the existence of aggro determines xp distribution though!

Sobr
07-10-2012, 02:09 AM
This would work if your memblur is successful. It's not 100% fail-proof, so you might wanna memblur two or three times to be sure. Personally, I prefer to let the two mobs grind each other down, then I kill both for xp so I don't have to worry about the charmed pet breaking while I am medding. You are correct that the existence of aggro determines xp distribution though!

This is why i said let it regen 1 tick of hp. Memblur works the first time usually, and sometimes it takes 2. If you get the mob down to like 13% then let it regen one tick to 18% before you nuke it, youll know your memblur was successful based on the regen tick. This also allows you to charm a stronger mob and fight weaker ones if you wish (I think it's faster because of the dps).. then of course you kill your pet off when it is done.

Vermicelli
07-12-2012, 07:56 PM
This is why i said let it regen 1 tick of hp. Memblur works the first time usually, and sometimes it takes 2. If you get the mob down to like 13% then let it regen one tick to 18% before you nuke it, youll know your memblur was successful based on the regen tick.

Very clever! Mobs regen HP faster "out of combat," which would happen if memblur succeeded, so you would know for sure that you would get 100% of the xp on the kill since your charmed pet no longer claims any threat in the fight.

Galanteer
07-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Reverse charming is also a way around the exp problem. Tash/root/charm/equip weapons/haste//break charm. Charm other critter and send it on the 1st. Break charm when near dead, kill, repeat.
This isn't as important here as it was in later expansions where the charmed pets damage was reduced, yet it still can be effective in some situations. Another downside is that on this server gear you give to a charmed critter is not returned when you kill it, so you'll want a few sets of pet weapons.

Growlers
08-04-2012, 09:53 AM
This makes me want to play my Chanter again

acid_reflux
08-08-2012, 02:13 PM
is a set of charisma gear cheap to get? I'm trying to do the chanter thing. just starting really.

Phinger
08-08-2012, 06:01 PM
You can get 51 cha from getting the gear i started my cha gear with. Crude Stein, glamour rod, opalline earrings, golden cat eye bracers. The rod costs 400-500 probably but i quested mine on my own. The other stuff is <50p each. More expensive items are platinum cat eye necklace (9cha) and the star ruby rings that give 7cha and 5dex. I have one of those and got a squad ring (5cha) from halfling guards in misty. People let them rot all the time.

Cha is important but its not like hitting 200 is gonna give you perfect charms. I have 203 now and still get early breaks. I do suggest getting 130+ before using a charm strategy. Its an art..i love it. I camped my own goblin gazughi ring too...that thing is absolutely lovely. Best advice, especially when starting out, is to charm in open spaces with melee only mobs.

Jboots and the goblin ring are life and mana savers.

Vermouth
08-08-2013, 11:39 PM
Just want to share my method of breaking charm, which in my opinion is better than using hide as a Dark Elf. Our level 1 spell Taper Enchantment is actually a very useful spell as it only costs 5 mana to cast and, unlike hide and its chance at not being successful, dispels charm every time.

There were a few instances when my charmed pet and the mob I am fighting are both low HP but not yet fleeing when I attempt to hide and it was not successful at truly invising me then root breaks and mob kills my charmed pet. This has happened a few times and made me look for alternatives to any form of invis. Since I started using Taper I have not lost exp due to this problem!

falkun
08-09-2013, 07:25 AM
So my enc is 19 with 200cha. Am I a glutton for punishment soloing in uguk? Should I head out to Oasis/LOIO to do my charming? How is EK/HPH, or any other open recommendations?

Mazeri
08-09-2013, 09:05 AM
So my enc is 19 with 200cha. Am I a glutton for punishment soloing in uguk? Should I head out to Oasis/LOIO to do my charming? How is EK/HPH, or any other open recommendations?

I honestly find outdoor zones 100x easier and faster.

12-21ish orcs and crocs in Oasis
19-23/24 Overthere or LOIO
24-29 <--- grouped in MM
29-35 Overthere (this is where i am now)

Tecmos Deception
08-09-2013, 09:48 AM
I spend 20-30+ in SK/paw with Tecmos I think (maybe with MM mixed in a bit). Lots of room in SK to keep you safe and avoid having to spend mana on runes (hell, I never even used shielding or AC spells when I was leveling with space), and in paw you are right near the zoneline (although you can't get very far into the zone before you hit that retarded red-con gnoll standing next to a bunch of stuff that is like 6 levels lower than him).

Tecmos Deception
08-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Reverse charming is also a way around the exp problem. Tash/root/charm/equip weapons/haste//break charm. Charm other critter and send it on the 1st. Break charm when near dead, kill, repeat.
This isn't as important here as it was in later expansions where the charmed pets damage was reduced, yet it still can be effective in some situations. Another downside is that on this server gear you give to a charmed critter is not returned when you kill it, so you'll want a few sets of pet weapons.

I never got into reverse charming with a chanter. Always seemed as good or better (and with less effort, too) to just pull 2 things at a time and let them beat each other low then finish them both off. You can make use of our variety of slow spells, casting 1 of them a ways into the fight when you have a feel for how much slow you need (if any) to keep the mobs even on their way down to 1-nuke (preferably not your biggest nuke) range. Could sometimes be annoying to find two mobs that were similar enough in level (and not casters, usually) though... but yeah, I never liked keeping a reverse-charmed mob around, buffed up, weaponized, rooted (especially before PE/fetter), etc.

Malone88
08-09-2013, 07:41 PM
I spend 20-30+ in SK/paw with Tecmos I think (maybe with MM mixed in a bit). Lots of room in SK to keep you safe and avoid having to spend mana on runes (hell, I never even used shielding or AC spells when I was leveling with space), and in paw you are right near the zoneline (although you can't get very far into the zone before you hit that retarded red-con gnoll standing next to a bunch of stuff that is like 6 levels lower than him).
I spent my early 30s in SK also killing dogs mostly. The outside dogs by the Spires are pretty easy because you have so much space. Inside Paw is trickier, though if you find a healer partner it's much easier. Never ventured passed the double-doors there though. There's a trick to pulling those mobs without training a ton of dogs on yourself, but I never figured it out...:confused:

Also, you get to stockpile gnoll whips, which are great for your pets later on.

Whoop
08-10-2013, 11:00 AM
If the charmed pet gets the upperhand and mob gets low on health, I back pet up and memblur mob then nuke it to death and then do the same on pet - is this the way to handle it in order to get full xp?

/confused newbie chanter

ps sry for hijacking thread :)

Tecmos Deception
08-11-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that after you break charm on your pet, it doesn't matter if you finish pet off first or finish the mob off first, you still get full xp for both. No need to do any blurring or anything. Not 100% positive though. It was never something I could perceive when leveling Tecmos, so I never really worried about it.

Kevynne
08-12-2013, 01:43 AM
Need to unnerf whil IMHO. :p
I basically stopped soloing after tht nerf >_>

I do use the charm soloing method when far,IMG however.

Malone88
08-12-2013, 01:37 PM
If the charmed pet gets the upperhand and mob gets low on health, I back pet up and memblur mob then nuke it to death and then do the same on pet - is this the way to handle it in order to get full xp?

You can do this if you want to use pet for another mob...or you can break
charm and kill both for full XP (seems like it doesn't matter which order).
Of course, you need to be sure the memblur stuck...

Alternatively, you can get a partner and not worry about Pet stealing XP at all...

Whoop
08-13-2013, 02:26 AM
Ok, now I understand a bit more. Thanks for the replies

Tsenor
08-13-2013, 11:08 AM
http://xornn.tripod.com/Creation/creation.htm this guide tells you pretty much everything you need to know about your enchanter (and the stories are really cool too). After you might go to the p99 wiki and look at their enchanter guide for anything not covered

Tsenor
08-13-2013, 12:19 PM
You can do this if you want to use pet for another mob...or you can break
charm and kill both for full XP (seems like it doesn't matter which order).
Of course, you need to be sure the memblur stuck...

Alternatively, you can get a partner and not worry about Pet stealing XP at all...

Best way to check mem blur (that I've found). while the mob is rooted move to a different side of the mob. If the mob turns with you then mem blur did not stick.

adament1824
08-14-2013, 11:53 PM
It does not matter which mob you kill once you break charm. You will get full xp for both. Do not rune while fighting mobs it causes huge agro rune before a pull it will save your life more times then the pp it costs for reagents. Lvl > resists > cha > pray charm breaks are based

Gimp
08-15-2013, 03:07 PM
As a new player to this server, I decided to roll a chanter and am loving it. From about 20 to my current level of 29, I've been charm soloing and now have it down to a science. Thanks for the info in this thread, it has really helped me out. Now I just have to find a way to earn a little plat to replace my six pieces of silk remaining (lol) and I'll be good for a while.

For you lowbie chanters, hit up LoIO for charm soloing starting at about 21. The exp is great. Even at 29, I'm still getting a little less than half a blue per mob. Hit me up in game if you venture that way and have any questions!

-Gimpster

adament1824
08-16-2013, 07:10 PM
camp the courier near windmill/ruins for the goblin gazughi ring its the best thing you can own as an ench instant cast charm breaks is sexy

Growlers
08-16-2013, 09:16 PM
camp the courier near windmill/ruins for the goblin gazughi ring its the best thing you can own as an ench instant cast charm breaks is sexy

Werd up.

flatt
10-10-2013, 05:30 AM
How does this method of solo (2x mobs fairly heavy mana use) compare to a average group in a dungeon for exp?

drakan
10-10-2013, 09:00 AM
I found the best exp while charm soloing (only really works outdoors and with a lot of room) is to find the perfect pet. When I say perfect pet, I mean one that you know will quad hit or backstab if given 2 weapons or daggers, and it is slightly higher level than the majority of the mobs that you will be killing. tash, charm, toss them the required weapons, and haste them. From there you can basically chain pull mobs in to your charmed pet. Key is to fear the mob and let your pet go to town on it. When mob gets to around 30%, it's time to head out and pull a new mob. Doing this at lvl 49, with 240 CHA (with buff) I can grind out little more than a yellow an hour.

Surviving the breaks isn't too bad with JBoots and keeping your distance a bit. The only real thing to worry about is adds along with a break, but even then its not that tough to handle.

Victorio
10-11-2013, 08:50 AM
If you want a pet to dual wield (assuming it has that capability) just give it a torch. You can buy it for 1 silver (or 2 silver at greedy vendors). Give that it is offhand only, the pet will also attack with his offhand. This is useful if you want to use a lower-level charm pet to kill a higher-level mob (and want them to both get low hp at the same rate.) I usually go buy 40 torches at a time before going to karnors basement.

Also, you can give a torch to a pet holding a 2h weapon and it will still dual wield. Some "cheap" 2h weapons have nice procs.

Malone88
10-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Can you explain the pet dual-wielding thing a little more.

If you give him two 1H weaps of any kind, he will dual-wield right (if capable)?
The torch will force him to dual-wield if he naturally doesn't do it?

The torch is to allow the pet to use a 2h weap?

What order do you give weaps + torch to pet?

Thanks in advance...

Morningbreath
10-11-2013, 06:50 PM
I found the best exp while charm soloing (only really works outdoors and with a lot of room) is to find the perfect pet. When I say perfect pet, I mean one that you know will quad hit or backstab if given 2 weapons or daggers, and it is slightly higher level than the majority of the mobs that you will be killing. tash, charm, toss them the required weapons, and haste them. From there you can basically chain pull mobs in to your charmed pet. Key is to fear the mob and let your pet go to town on it. When mob gets to around 30%, it's time to head out and pull a new mob. Doing this at lvl 49, with 240 CHA (with buff) I can grind out little more than a yellow an hour.

Surviving the breaks isn't too bad with JBoots and keeping your distance a bit. The only real thing to worry about is adds along with a break, but even then its not that tough to handle.

A good example of that is the sabertooth tigers in Overthere. You need SOW potions to keep ahead of them but their increased run speed works to your advantage in a wide open zone where you have to do alot of running to find kills.

Really all you have to do is keep your distance from them. If charm breaks during a fight just AE mez. If it gets low on health, let charm break and mez it until it's healed up. Their regen is much faster as a static mob than as a pet.

jcmtg
10-18-2013, 02:54 PM
How does this method of solo (2x mobs fairly heavy mana use) compare to a average group in a dungeon for exp?

It obviously depends, but when you get used to it, it's steady and you can rely on it.

Pick up groups, not so much.

Two 5% exp mobs every 6-10 minutes is pretty nuts, right?

10x pulls per level up is just insane. You get to meditate during the pull, too. So can root/dotters, but when solo, they don't get breeze clarity. You don't get ports/ feign death/ summoned weapons. etc

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-18-2013, 03:37 PM

Agreed almost entirely except for getting a pet that's higher level - having done this for about 7 levels in FV using Pirates and Pirate Cartographers I found that it was far easier to use lower level ROG pets as their backstab ability negates the level difference between the mob.

I would rather deal with an obedient LB pet that kicks ass on DB mobs than an unruly DB pet that destroys LB mobs. Ymmv.

Something'Witty
10-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Can you explain the pet dual-wielding thing a little more.

If you give him two 1H weaps of any kind, he will dual-wield right (if capable)?
The torch will force him to dual-wield if he naturally doesn't do it?

The torch is to allow the pet to use a 2h weap?

What order do you give weaps + torch to pet?

Thanks in advance...

Bump

Mostly wondering about the use of a torch, in particular, if you give a charmed pet a torch and no other weapon, will it dual wield? Also, if you give a charmed pet a 2h weapon and a torch, will it then dual wield?

Tecmos Deception
10-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Yes and yes.

Something'Witty
10-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Yes and yes.

Thanks Tec!